easiest canadian medical school to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avicenna04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some sort of ranking?

I know McMaster doesn't need the Mcat, but that doesn't necessarily make it easier to get into.

Also, what's the out-of-province acceptance rate for each of the universities you listed? Some of the schools i hear don't care if you're from out of province (a plus).

Members don't see this ad.

Avicenna04 said:

I know McMaster doesn't need the Mcat, but that doesn't necessarily make it easier to get into.

Also, what's the out-of-province acceptance rate for each of the universities you listed? Some of the schools i hear don't care if you're from out of province (a plus).
Ontario schools (including Mac) are all really really tough to get into, whether you're in-province or out. Double cohort still rippling...

U of Manitoba weights your MCAT heavily, so if you have a good MCAT and lower GPA this might be a good choice.

Overall, you usually have the best chances at your in-province schools; I don't know of any provinces which do not have dedicated slots at their med school... Where do you live?

p.s. a school "not caring" if you're out-of-province usually means it's harder to get in, since you are competing against students from the whole country (and not just your province).

Realistically, I suggest applying to schools within your own province just because it would be dumb not to, and then apply to other schools that interest you across the country. Getting out-of-province admission is hard (especially at McGill), but not impossible. There aren't any med. schools that are easy to get into. It is a long and challenging process that requires some degree of dedication. Manitoba does weigh a lot on the MCAT, so if you rock that, you're pretty much in; I think that should be changed though. Toronto, Queen's don't care where you are from. Most people are from Ontario because they get the most applications from their. Also, about each school gets an average of 1700-2000 applicants, but that is also because people apply to multiple schools. The most challenging is probably McGill for a non-Quebec student; and from what I have heard, UBC and Ottawa can be hard to narrow what type of student gains admission. Calgary and MacMaster are good if you want to speed through medicine (3-year programs), also, Mac has PBL. Toronto is research-intensive, and UBC, Manitoba, Sask., and Alberta seem to focus on training primary care physicians more than some other schools. However, in Canada, you can't go wrong. Residency is what matters most anyways and people gain admission from anywhere to anywhere across the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avicenna04 said:

For that very reason Mac is in fact the most competitive school in Canada (4000+ applications). In general the odds are best at McGill and UofM, UofS and Maritime schools for in province people. Ontario does seem bad but as akinf points out there are 5 schools and most people apply to many of them. This is evidenced by waitlist movement which is usually ~100 spots, compared to a school like UBC which moves by ~10 spots.

Sorry, double post.

Hey akinf,

You mentioned something almost about every Canadian school but not about Western...
How do you see it?...research-intensive, primary care, etc.?

Thanks

akinf said:
Realistically, I suggest applying to schools within your own province just because it would be dumb not to, and then apply to other schools that interest you across the country. Getting out-of-province admission is hard (especially at McGill), but not impossible. There aren't any med. schools that are easy to get into. It is a long and challenging process that requires some degree of dedication. Manitoba does weigh a lot on the MCAT, so if you rock that, you're pretty much in; I think that should be changed though. Toronto, Queen's don't care where you are from. Most people are from Ontario because they get the most applications from their. Also, about each school gets an average of 1700-2000 applicants, but that is also because people apply to multiple schools. The most challenging is probably McGill for a non-Quebec student; and from what I have heard, UBC and Ottawa can be hard to narrow what type of student gains admission. Calgary and MacMaster are good if you want to speed through medicine (3-year programs), also, Mac has PBL. Toronto is research-intensive, and UBC, Manitoba, Sask., and Alberta seem to focus on training primary care physicians more than some other schools. However, in Canada, you can't go wrong. Residency is what matters most anyways and people gain admission from anywhere to anywhere across the country.

I'd tell you, but I don't really know much about Western. For Western you need a 4-year HONOURS degree, and I am not doing one, so I can't even apply. To me, something like that would indicate they are looking for someone who has the ability to manage their time well, is well rounded, and academic. These are just guesses, I have looked into other schools but not really this one. Sorry.

Am completing my undergrad course in pharmacy in the Philippines by next year. I wish to do medical school in canada. Please what are the requirements for entering med school in canada?

naijabony said:
Am completing my undergrad course in pharmacy in the Philippines by next year. I wish to do medical school in canada. Please what are the requirements for entering med school in canada?

Unless you are a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, then your chances are almost nil. Only UofT, McGill and sometimes McMaster take international students, and even then it's not many (my class at UofT has 2).

Most schools have different requirements so I would suggest that you make use of Google and look at each school that you are interested in.

the easiest school to get into (as defined by lowest qualifications held by their student body): newfoundland's Memorial.

of course, if ur not a newfie, it's a bitch to get into.

naijabony said:

naija, are you a cdn resident?

naijabony said:
The chance is almost zero. It's actually easier to get into an American med school (especially DO) but even there the chance is also very low as an international . If you have the cash, go to a Caribbean medical school (SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba) then you have a better chance of practicing in the US. Canada will always be problematic graduating from a foreign school.

tantrum said:
The chance is almost zero. It's actually easier to get into an American med school (especially DO) but even there the chance is also very low as an international . If you have the cash, go to a Caribbean medical school (SGU, Ross, AUC, or Saba) then you have a better chance of practicing in the US. Canada will always be problematic graduating from a foreign school.
There are two ways of looking at this one. The U.S. absolutely insists on you having a U.S. or a Canadian undergraduate degree or, at the very least, 90 credits completed in the U.S. for M.D. programs. When I applied to both the U.S. and Canada, I found that the few token Canadian medical schools that accept internationals at least count certain foreign undergraduate degrees as valid with the appropriate evaluation from a professional credentialing agency in Canada. Obtaining funding is a different issue, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Avicenna04 said:

Oh F McAsster haha...If you're thinking about applying there as an international student don't!!!!! I applied there like 2 years ago... At the time they said we take 1 international student per year. It was something like the 4th year they were accepting international students. Out of the let's say 4 international students they ever took I think maybe 1 was from the US and the rest from Africa or something. Anyhow in the middle of the year that I was applying they all of a sudden changed their policies and got rid of the international cohort. They then changed it to saying something like if you're international you CAN apply but it will be super hard etc. I interviewed there and my interviews went awesome... I got a rejection letter and in it they said I was a Canadian applying. When I called them back they said oh sorry we made a mistake but you're still rejected. To my knowledge...I was the only international student that year to interview there. They took my money!!!! I paid ca. 400$ just to apply there. And...they had every right to take my money because in their fine print it said at any point we can decide to change our admissions policies (this is what they told me on the phone).

So basically they changed the damn policy months after the deadline...

Do NOT apply there!!! They're thieves!!!

Both of my cousins went there for Engineering and Science and my aunt is a Prof there at the Med school....The saying goes..."If you can walk a bit faster...you can go to McMaster."

:)

Sorry...I'm VERY bitter about that school (it's probably a great school...)

Hi everyone,

I am an American who is applying to McMaster for the 2008 cycle. I know that my chances may be slim yet decided to give it a shot as immigrating to Canada in the near future is my strong intention. One of the questions that they are asking on their application is:
"Knowing that gaining a position in medical school is extremely difficult, what other educational programs or fields of employment have you considered? Please include a description of specific actions that you have taken to explore such alternative goal(s)."
I am not sure what is the best way to answer this - if I say that I pursued a degree in biochem so that I still have options open in biochem or clinical research may it sound as if I am not seriously committed to medicine? Or, are they looking for someone who is a good planner and truly has other options? Any tips on Canadian med school applications would be greatly appreciated. I found that it is quite hard to describe your past experiences within 700 character limit as they don't give you an option of submitting a personal statement as US schools do. :confused:

Thanks!:)

Try choosing one pertinent experience and describing it in detail. They will have a list of all your other experiences in your OMSAS sketch, and so rehashing it will do you no good. So tell them something they don't know just from scanning through your list of activities. Make it exciting, and remember that with only 700 characters, every word counts ;)

Hi everyone,

I am an American who is applying to McMaster for the 2008 cycle. I know that my chances may be slim yet decided to give it a shot as immigrating to Canada in the near future is my strong intention. One of the questions that they are asking on their application is:
"Knowing that gaining a position in medical school is extremely difficult, what other educational programs or fields of employment have you considered? Please include a description of specific actions that you have taken to explore such alternative goal(s)."
I am not sure what is the best way to answer this - if I say that I pursued a degree in biochem so that I still have options open in biochem or clinical research may it sound as if I am not seriously committed to medicine? Or, are they looking for someone who is a good planner and truly has other options? Any tips on Canadian med school applications would be greatly appreciated. I found that it is quite hard to describe your past experiences within 700 character limit as they don't give you an option of submitting a personal statement as US schools do. :confused:

Thanks!:)

hey,

just to comment on the above posts, why should cdn med schools accept internationals if any at all. medical school in canada is already very hard to get into for canadian citizens, why should they give even one seat to an international? when that seat could go to a canadian citizen who worked their ass of in undergrad and wants to go to med school.

and there are definetely enough qualified undergrads who apply to gain admission to med school here.

My personal opinion is that the people who get those international spots are exceptional people (ie Olympic athletes, PhD holders with distinguished careers). More seats overall would be the best solution.

hey,

just to comment on the above posts, why should cdn med schools accept internationals if any at all. medical school in canada is already very hard to get into for canadian citizens, why should they give even one seat to an international? when that seat could go to a canadian citizen who worked their ass of in undergrad and wants to go to med school.

and there are definetely enough qualified undergrads who apply to gain admission to med school here.
I was looking for info on med schools as a uoft undergrad when i saw this forum and I joined just to reply to this person hu i think is a pampered canadian jerk:
SO HERE IT IS: the reason med schools accept international students is because they know that their own students are idiots hu might end up killing patients so they let one international there so they have one or two doctors in the country hu are actually smart. Also they mostly choose their own students so they have a fighting chance of becoming anything other than alcoholics in life and so canada can pretend that its own students are the only ones smart enough to be doctors.
Also your people along with yourself were just lucky enough to be born or be a citizen of a 1st world country and the ONLY thing you have that international students dont have is a freaking canadian passport so if anything canada should only let international students in since they are the ones hu have actually worked their asses off (enduring being away from their loved ones) to reach where they are ! So trust me studying in uni then going home to mommy where she can make your problems go away whenever you want IS NO WHERE NEAR working your ass off ! I'd like to see u move half way across the world to live and study in a foreign country where you have no one to rely on and see if you can survive cause usually pampered dinguses like u wont be able to !
BUT be careful saying **** like this because this luck that I mentioned that you have might be taken away from you and you might end up having to rely on the very international students hu you think "shouldnt be given seats in medschools" !

I was looking for info on med schools as a uoft undergrad when i saw this forum and I joined just to reply to this person hu i think is a pampered canadian jerk:
SO HERE IT IS: the reason med schools accept international students is because they know that their own students are idiots hu might end up killing patients so they let one international there so they have one or two doctors in the country hu are actually smart. Also they mostly choose their own students so they have a fighting chance of becoming anything other than alcoholics in life and so canada can pretend that its own students are the only ones smart enough to be doctors.
Also your people along with yourself were just lucky enough to be born or be a citizen of a 1st world country and the ONLY thing you have that international students dont have is a freaking canadian passport so if anything canada should only let international students in since they are the ones hu have actually worked their asses off (enduring being away from their loved ones) to reach where they are ! So trust me studying in uni then going home to mommy where she can make your problems go away whenever you want IS NO WHERE NEAR working your ass off ! I'd like to see u move half way across the world to live and study in a foreign country where you have no one to rely on and see if you can survive cause usually pampered dinguses like u wont be able to !
BUT be careful saying **** like this because this luck that I mentioned that you have might be taken away from you and you might end up having to rely on the very international students hu you think "shouldnt be given seats in medschools" !

University of Toronto undergraduate student here for you guys.... they only take the best....

bizarre....some bitter dude who can't spell responds to a post that is almost 10 years old and is all angry and outraged that Canadian taxpayers who funded Canadian medical schools and grew up in Canada attend Canadian medical schools. Bitter dude should go back to where it came

Reactions: 1 user
upload_2014-10-18_12-56-20.png
upload_2014-10-18_12-56-20.png

I think this person is really bitter that he wasn't told about the difficulty of medical school before he came. Probably thought getting an offer to Life Sciences at UofT meant he had a good chance at UofT Medical school. This is why it helps to do your research before heading abroad.

I think this person is really bitter that he wasn't told about the difficulty of medical school before he came. Probably thought getting an offer to Life Sciences at UofT meant he had a good chance at UofT Medical school. This is why it helps to do your research before heading abroad.

U of T is probably the worst school to go to for undergrad in Canada. The competition is fierce and it doesn't give you an advantage in applying to medicine.

U of T is probably the worst school to go to for undergrad in Canada. The competition is fierce and it doesn't give you an advantage in applying to medicine.
I agree strongly, people go to UofT undergrad and do succeed all the time, however its just a matter of being realistic. There are 5000 life science students in 1st year (most want to end up in medicine) and only about 250 medical school spots every year. Even if we just looked at UofT alone your chances are not good even as a Canadian. Now add on the fact that you are international and the number of available seats has shrunk to perhaps 10 spots? Unless you are an absolute super star you just aren't getting in.

None of the other medical schools are any easier either, other provinces in Canada all have quotas for 90% of their spots requiring in province residency, and all the Ontario schools are massively oversubscribed. McMaster for instance has a 5% acceptance rate, these are people who have made a decision to actually apply which doesn't even count all those who have given up along the way.