Easiest Dishes to Cook during Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msavvy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since everyone says its a reallllly good idea to cook "easy dishes" in a crock pot or simply in general during med school, I want to survey all you out there to see which dishes you would recommend cooking

Also, include the recipe if you know it :D!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Learn how to make different meat options. i like to put marinated bbq and sirracha beef cuts in the frying pan with onions, maybe some chopped potatoes. Alternative meat choices could be oven baked chicken with olive oil and lemon, or a quality sausage.

Then learn how to make vegetable options. Like buttered oven baked asparagus, spinach, onions, peppers, salads, mashed potatoes.

Then you can cheaply use spaghetti or spicy ramen or Mac and cheese or rice for carbs.

I mix and match and do what ever to get me a lot of good meals each week. Then for the rest I can make sandwiches or hot dogs or burgers. Doesn't take too much time. The trick is to learn how to make a bunch of different food groups and then impromtu meals become both easy and diverse.

Great breakfast I like to eat every morning - 3 sausages, 3 eggs, bagel and cream cheese and a yogurt with cold brew coffee ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Since everyone says its a reallllly good idea to cook "easy dishes" in a crock pot or simply in general during med school, I want to survey all you out there to see which dishes you would recommend cooking

Also, include the recipe if you know it :D!
What are you looking for? Healthy, nutritious options or just something filling and edible?

Members don't see this ad :)
My 23 year old m1 self used to treat myself to special chicken ramen noodles. Basically take top ramen and cook it like usual, but after adding noodles and flavor pouch into the boiling water, crack an egg open into the pot and break it up. Then add a handful of frozen veggies like peas and carrots and bring back to boil before turning it off. For extra kick add sriracha.

Reactions: 6 users
Bagel sandwiches are easy too. Toast bagel, add some cream cheese. Then dress it with lettuce, tomato, onion and whatever else you like. Also put in a pan fried egg. Eggs rule.

Nachos. Plate of chips. Open can of beans and place in pot over medium heat. Add cheese (, hot sauce, and chopped onions if you like) into the pot. Mix well until heated. Put pot contents over the plate of chips. Add shredded lettuce, cilantro, salsa, sliced avocado or guacamole, and sour cream on top. Enjoy.

Reactions: 1 users
Learn how to make different meat options. i like to put marinated bbq and sirracha beef cuts in the frying pan with onions, maybe some chopped potatoes. Alternative meat choices could be oven baked chicken with olive oil and lemon, or a quality sausage.

Then learn how to make vegetable options. Like buttered oven baked asparagus, spinach, onions, peppers, salads, mashed potatoes.

Then you can cheaply use spaghetti or spicy ramen or Mac and cheese or rice for carbs.

I mix and match and do what ever to get me a lot of good meals each week. Then for the rest I can make sandwiches or hot dogs or burgers. Doesn't take too much time. The trick is to learn how to make a bunch of different food groups and then impromtu meals become both each and diverse.

Great breakfast I like to eat every morning - 3 sausages, 3 eggs, bagel and cream cheese and a yogurt with cold brew coffee ;)

You're a genius. I think this will be my diet for the next 4 years.

What are you looking for? Healthy, nutritious options or just something filling and edible?

Healthy preferred because I eat poorly even without being busy :(

My 23 year old m1 self used to treat myself to special chicken ramen noodles. Basically take top ramen and cook it like usual, but after adding noodles and flavor pouch into the boiling water, crack an egg open into the pot and break it up. Then add a handful of frozen veggies like peas and carrots and bring back to boil before turning it off. For extra kick add sriracha.

I used to do this in college! Haha

Fajitas.

Chop onions and peppers. Cook them until soft. Then add meat of choice (chicken is what I generally use...partly because it's cheap). Throw in spices (salt, garlic, ground pepper, and paprika are pretty much mandatory). Rice and beans can be made alongside. Put in a tortilla and add grated cheese.

One pan can last a few days.

Reactions: 3 users
You're a genius. I think this will be my diet for the next 4 years.

Healthy preferred because I eat poorly even without being busy :(

I used to do this in college! Haha
Healthy food is easy. Cook your own ****, cut down on processed foods. Avoid a lot of salt or sugar, and cut down on oil when cooking. Make sure vegetables are represented in your food. The key is moderation. You can eat almost anything in moderation. Combine these principles in cooking with drinking a lot of water and you're set.

Reactions: 4 users
It takes maybe an hour MAX each day to prep most meals (you're not going to be making a huge dinner anyway like a parent would). You're not going to learn anything in an hour after studying for the past 6.

In undergrad I just cooked 6lbs of chicken breast in a crock pot with random condiments and was set for the week haha. Anything for the gainz

Reactions: 5 users
Put some butter in pan (small amount). Chop some onion and portabella mushrooms then once getting a bit soft add ground turkey. Mix together and throw some thin sliced pepper jack cheese on top. Add some brown mustard once plated. Can eat as is for low carb, or eat open face on everything bagel thins. Depending on the amount of meat and butter used, it's only 350-500 calories and good. I still eat it 3x a week.
I usually buy 3 lbs of 95% lean ground turkey. I'd avoid 99% lean, it's gross.

Dessert: nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt with a few no salted peanuts and cinnamon. If you can get berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries or blackberries) on the cheap, I use those instead of nuts.

My other dish is a crockpot with, gasp, ground turkey. Put in with 3/4 cup of water per lb of meat and a 1 packet of taco seasoning per lb. Cook on high for about 4-6 hours (if going away just leave on low for 8+ hrs). About 1 hrs before finished add a can of black beans or pinto beans. Then I just put tons of lettuce in a bowl and put meat on top (with plenty of water/spicy juice). May add cheese, but usually I don't. He extra water and moisture makes salad dressing unnecessary. I usually buy pre washed/pre cut lettuce. Put rest of meat in fridge and repeat.

I eat a lot of ground turkey.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Chilli has been my go to when I want to make something that will last me a while with minimal effort. Cook a pound of ground beef in a pan to your liking, then in a crock pot add 2 cans of tomato paste, a few cups of water, 3-4 cans of kidney beans (drained), chilli powder, and whatever else you like in your chilli. Add in the cooked meat, season, set it on low for about 5 hours and boom you got your dinner for the next 4 days.

4 lbs chicken breast+ Frank's red hot in a crock pot on low. Eight hours later you have spicy shredded chicken to last a week.

Reactions: 3 users
Saltine crackers with ketchup and sriracha for flavor got me through college!

Reactions: 1 user
*Bookmarking this thread*

I made a ground meat/beans (primarily ranch-style beans but whatever I had worked) mixture that I would make a bunch of and eat throughout the week with mixed-in rice. I would normally add lentils and/or corn to it as well. I got teased by my family for eating an odd dish, but that stuff was tasty and filling. Best advice would be to make enough of whatever dish you're making to have enough leftovers for at least one or two meals afterwards.

I also made mini pizzas by taking english muffins with some pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella and putting it in the oven for like 10 minutes. Not going to lie, cereal, Ramen and frozen dinners were also a large part of my diet during undergrad.

On Sundays, I try to cook a large batch of some kind of meat, chili, or soup to eat for lunch for the week. I usually don't pre-cook my dinners though (unless the week is going to be especially hectic). Cooking dinner has become part of my daily unwinding ritual. I'll turn on one of my favorite podcasts and spend about an hour cooking/eating a delicious meal. I enjoy cooking, and I find it to be very therapeutic after spending the day studying and watching lectures.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't really provide any recipes. I usually just google a recipe for whatever I feel like making.

Reactions: 2 users
Microwaveable ramen noodles with Taco Bell hot sauce. With a protein shake and multivitamin on the side. Easy to make and well-balanced.

Last edited:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-taco-pasta/2eb7a12d-eb18-4f7c-a24f-fe0b2d9edffc
This meal is so so good. It's not the most healthy option, but it's super easy and gives you a ton of leftovers so you don't have to cook for the next few days. They recently changed the recipe though so I think instead of the water, a can of enchilada sauce would make it closer to the original and more flavorful.

Pinterest is your friend. I've found tons of easy meals on there that require little to no prep and leave lots of leftovers.

Also, this salmon recipe is to die for, and if you prepare it ahead of time, it's really easy when you actually go to cook it. You can make it as spicy (or not spicy) as you want. http://damndelicious.net/2012/05/30/teriyaki-salmon-with-sriracha-cream-sauce/

Lastly, Hamburger Helper is so cheap and easy (and again with the leftovers). And there are crockpot pouches you can put into the crockpot with the meat that sound good, but I haven't tried them yet.

I live on whole grain toast with mashed avocado, lemon juice, salt, cracked pepper, and some fresh arugula on the side. Some free range poached eggs. Just get a slotted spoon and some white vinegar and it's easy.

If you learn how to make your own espresso, life will feel extra fancy. Buying pasture grazed milk makes coffee unbelievable. I'm not here to talk about morality, but from a flavor standpoint it's totally a worthy lifestyle investment. Same with the eggs.

I also like to buy a rotisserie chicken for $6, pick the meat off the bones, toss the bones in a stock pot and simmer for a day with whatever odds and ends, then use the broth for cooking rice with the chicken (instead of water) or to ramp up a killer super fast chicken soup (just add the cooked chicken at the very end). A stockpot full of good broth can make kitchen life so dope.

EDIT: Fwiw, I finally learned to try for the best, most flavorful single ingredients to make quick simple things, vs. cheap pre-packaged food. You'll be better nourished, sleep better, feel better, and get away with eating less food to have more energy. The downside is that many organic-type things aren't actually all that well grown and can be much more expensive, so you want to know what to get. Farmers Markets can help. Pasture-grazed things are usually a good bet, tho, because animals are consuming a variety of nutrients. Another good investment is sandwich-sliced **grass-fed** roast beef from the deli counter. Throw that on some toast and mayo with some good sliced pickles and arugula. Salt and cracked pepper. Tastes like liiiiiiife!

Last edited:
My go to easy meals.

Option 1. Oven set to 425, rinse yam, poke holes in yam with fork, place in aluminum foil, bake 2 hours, remove, eat when cooled. Total prep time 2 min.

Option 2. Take tortilla, add cheese, shred some chicken breast (buy roasted chicken for 7$ - enough meat for a week),microwave 30 sec. Eat. Total prep time 3 min.

Option 3. Take yogurt out, dump in hand full of granola, take a banana (don't bother to cut it). Take a scoop of yogurt mix and a bite of banana - it all mixed in your mouth. Total prep time 1 min.

Option 4. Pull out chicken drumb stick or wings from rotisserie chicken. Microwave (optional - or eat cold). Add ranch if needed. Eat. Total prep time 1 min.

Option 5: mix oat meal with water, microwave 30-45 seconds. Add agave nectar. If in a rush - add milk to cool down the oatmeal and drink it in 20 seconds. Prep time 1-2 min. (Add chia seeds if desired)

Option 6: crack 1-2 egg in a cup, add in 1-2 tbsp milk, wisk for 20 seconds, microwave for 30-45 seconds. Add cheese or bacon or salt/pepper to taste. Eat. Total prep time 2-3 min.

I get up at 7:30 - class at 8:

7:30 wake up,
7:30:30 pick option (usually 5) into microwave
7:32 brush teeth in shower
7:37 put on clothes
7:38 eat food (should be cool enough now)
7:40 leave and drive
7:50 arrive (drive like a crazy Asian girl)
7:55 get to class/small groups.

Leaves me with 5 minute buffer time. :3

It takes maybe an hour MAX each day to prep most meals (you're not going to be making a huge dinner anyway like a parent would). You're not going to learn anything in an hour after studying for the past 6.
Wtf? An hour to prep meals?
Not studying past 6 (like no studying past 6 pm?)?

In undergrad - I didn't even get home till 8.

My favorite thing recently is to throw some chicken breast with some teriyaki marinade into my crock pot overnight, set for 8 hours. Then I take a wok and sautee some red, orange, or yellow bell peppers. Shred the chicken, add to the wok with some pineapple and teriyaki sauce. Serve over brown rice. I'll also eat a jar of peanut butter in one sitting.

This is one of the recipes I make when I get super busy:

Buy and defrost cut-up pork bones.
Stir fry it for 15 minutes with a bit of oil, lots of soy sauce, sugar, and salt (yes lots, don't worry you are not eating it straight up).
Assuming you have an automatic rice cooker, put rice and water in the cooker like you normally would but don't turn it on yet. Then when your pork bones are done, put that in the rice cooker as well. Turn on the cooker. When it's done, press the cook button again to let it really be well done. This can last you about 4 meals if you put in enough rice and pork bones.

Preparation time ~15-20 minutes.
Cook time (can be left unattended): ~1 hour.
Good for: ~4 meals
Delicious level: 10/10

PS-You can add mushrooms and carrots in your pork bone stir fry as well, but I usually don't because they take time to wash and chop up.

Those 90 second bags of microwave rice and microwaveable bags of steam fresh vegetables are awesome

protein powder, cup, water, shake, chug

JACKED

Pulled pork loin (costs $12-$15), put in crock pot, cover with water with a few bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook overnight on low.
Drain the next morning, pull apart, add BBQ sauce, and you have meals for days.
I usually put most of the extra in single serving ziplocks, and freeze (can get 5-8 servings)
Doesn't take a lot of effort, and freezes well, microwaves perfectly.
I am pretty much a veggie, but this is one of my guilty pleasures.

Not a med student, but for easy dishes when I am super busy I just cook a chicken stir fry. Throw some veggies in a pan cook, add chicken and they soy sauce and honey/sugar etc. So many variations on a stir fry. So easy, can pair with rice, or if avoiding carb heavy items maybe a salad.

Learn to use a wok and how to sautée. Chop **** up, use the right mix of ginger/garlic/onions, throw it in, pick and choose the sauces you like from any Asian supermarket, mix that **** around, then serve. Minimal cleaning, most work is the cutting prep.

salmon+salt+pepper+lemon slices on top. 375F oven ~12-15 mins depending on thickness. I think the rule is 10min per inch of thickness.
asparagus + salt + pepper + EVOO in same oven, 15-20 mins until crisp but not firm nor mushy.
potatoes boiled or roasted.

You can do this with anything really (chicken breast, pork or zucchini, bok choy) and make it in quantities of 4-6 meals for the week.

Crock Pots Toxic?

I hear they have lead and other neurotoxic poisons? I find that the Subway restaurant coupons that come in the free store ads delivered to doorsteps in Boston are one fo the cheapest ways to eat a variety of fresh vegetables. Roasts are my other favorite. I just put a roast in a pyrex baking pan with half beef broth and half V8 original vegetable juice and let it bake. After it browns on both sides, I cover with the pan with aluminum foil. I check every hour or so until it's tender and when it's tender, it's done. 375 degrees. Add carrots, potatoes, celery, etc. if you wish.

Wtf? An hour to prep meals?
Not studying past 6 (like no studying past 6 pm?)?

In undergrad - I didn't even get home till 8.

I didn't say I cooked every day.

A recent favorite of mine is Shakshuka. Had never heard of it, and now can't stop making it. I make a huge batch in a casserole dish, which keeps well and covers lunch or dinner for the week. There are variations of the recipe, but it looks something like this:

shakshuka-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Frequent go-tos:
-Bake a bunch of sweet potatoes at once, then portion them off and store them in the fridge. Whenever you want one, nuke it in the microwave for a bit, then drown in almond milk.
-Oatmeal + fresh fruit + generous spoonfuls of almond butter
-Avocado toast. All different kinds. If you need inspiration, enjoy:
http://guestofaguest.com/new-york/food/food-trend-where-to-find-the-best-avocado-toast-in-nyc

For the vegan/vegetarians out there consider following happy herbivore. Quick, cheap, easy, and good! I love thug kitchen meals, but I feel like they would be too labor intensive for med school...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pressure cooker. Buy an instapot. It will change your life.

Well I just started Insanity in January, so I've been learning to make quick easy meals. My favorite so far is BBQ slow cooker chicken. Put it on low for 3 hours, then pull it a part with two forks and mix it with the remaining sauce. For a starch, I cube up a bunch of sweet potatoes, toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika and cook for 40 min at 400 degrees. Makes about a week of meals for me

Buy lean beef patties in bulk and cook em in a press grill. Veggie patties taste good too.

Boil sweet potato for carbs and add some frozen greens for variety.

Thats just me however. If you don't need to watch your weight then there are much better options.

What slow cooker do you recommend?
Well I just started Insanity in January, so I've been learning to make quick easy meals. My favorite so far is BBQ slow cooker chicken. Put it on low for 3 hours, then pull it a part with two forks and mix it with the remaining sauce. For a starch, I cube up a bunch of sweet potatoes, toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika and cook for 40 min at 400 degrees. Makes about a week of meals for me

Sketti.
Ingredients: pasta, ketchup, butter. Stir.

Courtesy of: honey boo boo

Hey OP - if you have a crockpot, then there are a lot of easy meals you can make that are cheap and relatively healthy with a balanced diet.

For example, you can easily drop a cup or two of rice, some broth or flavoring, and any kind of meat (I like chicken) in a crockpot on your way out. If you set it on before you head out for your day, you have a nice dinner warm and ready right when you come back, and enough for leftover dinners for a day or two!

For breakfast, I like to put some frozen hash browns on a pan (a bag is around $2.50) with some olive oil for 10 minutes. I'll start coffee, and the hashbrowns will be well on their way. After they finish, I cook 2-3 eggs in a minute and put that in a delicious hashbrown egg bowl :) Super delicious!

I used to be a powerlifter, so these meals were something that would set up my 30/30/40 protein,fat,carb balance for the day. 2 apples, 2 bananas, and some salad at some point and you are good to go from a nutrition perspective.