Easiest Med schools to get into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caduceusdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What r some of the easiest medical schools to get into? Since ppl seeing this thread will be from all over the place, restrict the scope of this discussion to PRIVATE schools and schools that one can easily get into even as one's APPLYING FROM OUT OF STATE

Here r my suggestions:
S. Illinois Univ
East TN Univ.
Loma Linda
George Wash. U

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I would put GW in there, just based on the number of applications they get, statistically it is NOT easy to get an interview. The numbers of those that get interviewed are less competitive than at some of the heavy hitters, but it is not an easy school to get into.

What r some of the easiest medical schools to get into? Since ppl seeing this thread will be from all over the place, restrict the scope of this discussion to PRIVATE schools and schools that one can easily get into even as one's APPLYING FROM OUT OF STATE

Here r my suggestions:
S. Illinois Univ
East TN Univ.
Loma Linda
George Wash. U

There are no 'easy' schools. >50% of applicants get rejected. This is why people apply broadly (or all over the place, as you put it). You would do well to apply to as many schools as you can afford, since the number of applicants is increasing every year. GW get a lot applicants. Tenesse is a state school, as far as I know which means they're going be heavily biased towards instaters, regardless of your numbers. Same goes for Illinois.

Members don't see this ad :)
southern illinois is not a private university and it is almost impossible to get into if you are out of state...also george washington and georgetown both look friendlier than they are because they have a high percentage out of state...this is only because they are in washington DC and do not have a state. They have very large numbers of applicants and are difficult to get into.

When you're looking at a school, OP (I'm assuming you're using the MSAR, if not, get one) you should look at the number of applicants total, becasue if the school gets 11K applicants, your odds are low, statistically. Also consider the ratio of IS/OS applicants. if it's 50/50, you'll do OK applying. If it's 95/5, don't bother.
Most state schools want an out of state applicant to demonstrate some significant tie to the state. Uof U for instance requires property ownership or family. Some private schools also take this into consideration.

Also, keep in mind that some of the less competitive schools get so many applications due to lists like these that they can wind up being more competitive. I got an interview at UCSF but didn't get one at Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, etc.

Apply broadly.

Loma Linda also has a preference towards adventists, and religious students. Not all students are religious of course, but it seems that they want to see that you have some sort of background in it. As the other posters suggested, no medical schools are easy to get into so apply broadly, apply intelligently and apply early.

So do u guys have any other suggestions for schools that, in general are considered safeties?

No one school can be considered a safety. EVER.

You can "play it safe", however, by applying to a lot of schools with average/median GPA and MCAT at or below your own (n=15 to 30). This is still no guarantee, especially if you are particularly weak in any one section - LOR's, clinical experience/volunteering, GPA, a section of the MCAT, interviewing skills etc., but it will increase your chances.

Edit: As others have already mentioned, once you have a list of possible schools (assuming that it needs to be cut down) it would also be a good idea to consider schools that don't get 8-10,000+ applicants a year. I got interviews to 4 "top-10" and 4 "top-20" schools, but Boston University rejected me. The popular back-up or mid-range schools like BU, Georgetown, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, NYMC etc. can be just as tough to get in to as "higher" ranked schools because they get so darn many applications.

I'm just confused why anyone would want to know the easiest med-school to get into. If you are truly dedicated to becoming a physician, you will work your tale off and then the sky is the limit. You then will be able to get into any school you want to. I have always been one to set bars high for myself even if I do not succeed 100%. Does any body else feel the same way?

Also, keep in mind that some of the less competitive schools get so many applications due to lists like these that they can wind up being more competitive. I got an interview at UCSF but didn't get one at Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, etc.

Apply broadly.

Very true. I got interviews at top 10s but didn't get interviews at ANY of my "safeties"

HelloGoodbye-

I am sure the OP has their own dream school that they would love to get in to - I assume that they are just being realistic. I think that their assertion that any med school is "easy" to get in to is a bit misguided, but I think it is definitely a good idea to make sure you have all of your bases covered. Picking which schools you are going to apply to is a VERY important step in the application process, and should not be taken lightly.

It's great to have aspirations and shoot for the stars - I certainly did, with some definite disappointments along the way. However, after being around for a few months and seeing the posts by people who did not get in this last cycle and are now reapplying (and especially as you begin to go through the process of the AMCAS, secondaries, interviews, and the oh-so-long waits for final decisions), you will begin to appreciate how tough this whole process is, and how you absolutely do not want to go through it again.

I'm just confused why anyone would want to know the easiest med-school to get into. If you are truly dedicated to becoming a physician, you will work your tale off and then the sky is the limit. You then will be able to get into any school you want to. I have always been one to set bars high for myself even if I do not succeed 100%.
Oh, this is patently untrue. I worked 100% towards getting in to the best medical schools possible and did not get in to all I'd've liked. Everyone has limits, no matter how hard they work. The "sky is the limit" sounds great, but most of us have a limit that's a lot closer than that. I doubt anyone on this thread is capable of getting a 45 on the MCAT no matter how much/hard they study.

If you are a borderline applicant no matter how hard you try, setting your goals on easier medical schools makes a lot of sense. Toss in a few reaches, by all means, but keep it real.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just confused why anyone would want to know the easiest med-school to get into. If you are truly dedicated to becoming a physician, you will work your tale off and then the sky is the limit. You then will be able to get into any school you want to. I have always been one to set bars high for myself even if I do not succeed 100%. Does any body else feel the same way?

Well there are those that live in fairytale land, and those that live here in reality. Not everyone has the the circumstances that allow them to devote the time necessary to get that 35+ MCAT and activities to get into the school they want. This doesn't necessarily mean they didn't work hard, and they are devoted enough to become a doctor no matter what the school is. So it is logical that the OP would like to know the types of schools they should include in their primary application, and doesn't indicate they are setting the bars low, they are being realistic and saving money. Good luck Caduceusdude, I would suggest getting a hold of the MSAR and applying to schools with average stats close you yours, then apply to a few schools that have higher stats (remember these are averages, so some students were below these numbers). I would also suggest trying DO schools, not because they are inferior, just because they are more lenient with MCAT scores and GPA's.

Creighton takes mostly oos students and has MCAT medians of 10-10-10-P. SLU, Tulane, MCW, and BU are schools that draw a lot of applications due to a perception that they are easier to get into (which is reflected by their admit stats).

S. Illinois Univ

definitely not. my friend w/ a 4.0 and 31 didnt get in. yes literally a 4.0
also they have a crazy system where they award you points, such as if you live in rural IL, you get a point. want to practice rural med, you get a point. def not easy.
im sure you just looked up avg GPA and MCATs.

Creighton takes mostly oos students and has MCAT medians of 10-10-10-P. SLU, Tulane, MCW, and BU are schools that draw a lot of applications due to a perception that they are easier to get into (which is reflected by their admit stats).

I don't know if I would say Tulane is easier to get into the acceptance rate was 5.2% and I am not sure what stats u are using since the average MCAT for Tulane was 31 and that was 2001-2004 data it is much higher now thanks to some new adcoms. it is now equal to Baylor's and such. The thing about Tulane that is great is they do a good job of weeding out douche bags who look good on paper but have the personalities of wet cardboard.

I will give you the typical SDN answer: easiest med school to get into is the one that's the right fit for you!

I will give you the typical SDN answer: easiest med school to get into is the one that's the right fit for you!

That is not the typical answer given for that particular question. That answer is given on those threads that ask "which school should I attend?"

That is not the typical answer given for that particular question. That answer is given on those threads that ask "which school should I attend?"

Oh right, well it applies here as well I guess.

Here r my suggestions:
S. Illinois Univ
East TN Univ.
Loma Linda
George Wash. U

The easiest school to get into is the one whose student profile matches your own.

What do I mean? Find a catalog or go to a schools' web site, or better yet, talk to the admissions officer. Find out what the typical matriculant profiles are (mcat/gpa/race/state of residency/major in school). The school that has an abundance of students who look just like you on paper will be the one that is easiest to get into.

This is why people who get interviewed at UCSF get turned down by lesser schools. The folks at the latter schools know that based on that applicant's demographics and profile, that person would be likely to turn them down anyway (hence they are wasting valuable time interviewing this person).

I'll give you one concrete example: 10 years ago, the place to apply if you were an Asian guy or girl from Cali was NYMC. 1/3 of their entering class for years previous were from Cali (mostly Asian), usually people who had good grades/mcats but were rejected by all UC schools.

Another eg: just try getting an interview at Howard if you do not look like the rest of the student body. It's not impossible, but you would have to write a letter to the Dean telling them why, despite the demographic differences, you want to attend their school. It's not racism, they just know what kind of students would tend to share their mission statement and would also be willing to come to their school were they to make such an offer.

I don't know if I would say Tulane is easier to get into the acceptance rate was 5.2% and I am not sure what stats u are using since the average MCAT for Tulane was 31 and that was 2001-2004 data it is much higher now thanks to some new adcoms. it is now equal to Baylor's and such. The thing about Tulane that is great is they do a good job of weeding out douche bags who look good on paper but have the personalities of wet cardboard.

MSAR is showing 10-10-10-P for Tulane, identical to Creighton only the GPA's for Tulane admits are 0.2 and 0.3 lower.

Notice that I am not personally claiming that those I mentioned (but I should throw Drexel in there too to match up the stats) are easy/easier to get into. I'm just saying that such a perception is validated by the number of applications that those places get.

I will say this, though. There is no comparison between what it takes to get in oos at Baylor vs. Tulane.

Tulane, in their interview packet, directly states that they desire candidates who have backgrounds outside of science, admittedly those who have some artistic, musical talents, humanities backgrounds in addition to the standard science backgrounds. The interview plays a significant role as well as they desire candidates who can mesh well as a Tulane family member. So I would tend to believe that looking at numbers alone tends to be misleading in terms of how easy/hard it is to get into the school given that what they look for in their students they accept is not published by US News and such. I think this also tends to apply to various other schools as well (philosophy doesn't necessarily match the average statistics). For a more accurate picture, I would think that you need to include, in addition to raw numbers, an explanation of their school's mission statement to narrow the picture down significantly. The fatal mistake many applicants make is not doing their research more thoroughly prior to applying, and assume that "easy" schools are based entirely on average numbers alone.

I think if you want a fairer assessment of what schools are "easier" to get into or not, the OP probably needs to disclose a more comprehensive picture of yourself as an applicant (straight science? liberal arts education? heavy research? heavy volunteering? religious affiliation?). As with any school I presume, there always tends to be different sides of the story as what one may consider "easy" to get into, may be much more difficult for another (e.g. someone with a heavy research background may have an "easier" time getting into a top US News ranked research school with high NIH $$$$ but may have an extremely difficult time getting into a school that looks for applicants with, say humanities and science backgrounds, or those with religious affiliations). We can look at this from many different viewpoints.

Try Meharry.

No, I don't just want to get into a random easy medical school. I have already selected a lot of other medical schools that match my interests and goals. But just in case I don't get into my favorite medical schools, I don't want to end up without any options. Having a safety net doesn't automatically translate into lack or dedication or sincerity.

I'll give you one concrete example: 10 years ago, the place to apply if you were an Asian guy or girl from Cali was NYMC. 1/3 of their entering class for years previous were from Cali (mostly Asian), usually people who had good grades/mcats but were rejected by all UC schools.

Ana,

When you say 10 years ago, has things changed today? I thought NYMC (and Drexel) still acccepts many Cali students esp Asians.

More people should respond...this is all very potentially useful info as amcas ap is gonna start in 5 days....post ppl...

My 2 cents:
University of North Dakota
University of South Carolina
George Wash (going by their MCAT scores and GPA only)
Michigan State
Mercer

Ana,

When you say 10 years ago, has things changed today? I thought NYMC (and Drexel) still acccepts many Cali students esp Asians.

I only said "10 years ago" because I am sure of my facts around that time period. It may still be true (after all, it is a formula that has worked for them), but I would have had to do some checking to have verified it.

The easiest school to get into is the one whose student profile matches your own.

What do I mean? Find a catalog or go to a schools' web site, or better yet, talk to the admissions officer. Find out what the typical matriculant profiles are (mcat/gpa/race/state of residency/major in school). The school that has an abundance of students who look just like you on paper will be the one that is easiest to get into.

This is why people who get interviewed at UCSF get turned down by lesser schools. The folks at the latter schools know that based on that applicant's demographics and profile, that person would be likely to turn them down anyway (hence they are wasting valuable time interviewing this person).
Right on.:thumbup:

More people should respond...this is all very potentially useful info as amcas ap is gonna start in 5 days....post ppl...

My 2 cents:
George Wash (going by their MCAT scores and GPA only)
Michigan State
Mercer
University of North Dakota prefers students that are willing to go into rural medicine or work on indian reservations.
South Carolina are mostly for instate applicants
George Washington receives thousands of applicants
Mich st's class: 80% from michigan
Mercer prefers URM

I wouldnt say any one of these schools are easy to get into or "easier"
I think your best shot would be at state schools. unless your from cali.

just a note to the post above- South Carolina and Mercer are almost impossible out of state (in fact, i think Mercer only accepts GA residents).

I am from NJ. If I don't get into my state school, do i really have a chance at other schools? I am only applying to 8 now- but should i be applying to more?

Thanks!

If you are truly dedicated to becoming a physician, you will work your tale off and then the sky is the limit.
This is not true. I worked extremely hard to get as far as I could, and while I made it fairly far, I only got as far as being waitlisted at my top choice. I just finished my first year at my second choice, so life ain't bad, but "believe it and you can do it!" is just wishful thinking.

Why on earth is this thread rated 5 stars?

The easiest school for you to get into will be one that is unique in the same way you are as an applicant. If you bleed public health, rural medicine, and working with the underserved, you will have a better shot at say University of Iowa OOS than you do at UCI in-state. When you really share the interests and motivations of the school, you will probably find that you have a better chance interviewing than if you were to strictly go by the numbers. Really try to find what you are passionate about in medicine, what is exciting to you and extrapolate on that in your app (and I hope the classes you took and the activities you pursued reflect that). Then apply to schools that are a good "fit." Schools really do pursue a type-cast to a degree but they are not all unique; you should find a handful of schools that really fit your professional goals.

Belding, how on earth did you wind up with a Salman Rushdie avatar?

80-95% of application strength lives within the numbers. That's true everywhere.

get the yearly updated book on each schools requirements, and match your strengths to it - hmmm that wasn't very original, but all I could think of.

u vermont
albany medical college
nymc
suny downstate
tufts

u vermont - Mainly accept students from surrounding states only
albany medical college- Somewhat of a pref to new york residents
suny downstate- Mainly NY students and students w/ ties to NY
tufts- RU Kidding me...it's not easy by any standard

u vermont - Mainly accept students from surrounding states only
I don't think that's right. Only half of their student body is from New England, so that leaves a lot of folks from other areas.

you must be ******ed to think that siu is easy to get into...lets see, they ONLY accept illinois residents therefore meaning if your out of state this school is or is close to impossible for you to get into, and they accept a majority of rural students....among those rural students it is fairly competetive...i dont know what your talking about i think its somewhat hard and myself being an illinois resident

No med school is easy to get into, but when you're planning strategically, look for states that are saturated with med schools and then see which schools have a lower bias against OOS Students

ex. Ohio- 7 med schools, several of which are OOS friendly
SUNY Schools- Tons of med schools in NY, some of the SUNY schools are more friendly to OOS students than others.

Loma Linda is not one of the easiest to get into. They had over 4000 applications, 400 interviewed, 185 in the class. Average MCAT is 30 and GPA 3.72. Hmm..they are a second tier school, in the middle rankings if you look at Newsweek rankings (61/126). Additionally, they receive almost as much research money as some of the top schools like Harvard, Mayo, Washington University (St. Louis), and John's Hopkins. They do alot in Cancer research and are world renowned with infant heart transplantation. They are looking for certain criteria though in applicants, not just numbers. They are one of the top private schools in the US for quality and they consistenly score higher on the Step 2 Clincals than all of the other california med schools the past 10 years. I may be biased since I'm a student there, but be under no allusions they are a major powerhouse in turning out top notch med students!!!! :thumbup:

Loma Linda is not one of the easiest to get into. They had over 4000 applications, 400 interviewed, 185 in the class. Average MCAT is 30 and GPA 3.72. Hmm..they are a second tier school, in the middle rankings if you look at Newsweek rankings (61/126). Additionally, they receive almost as much research money as some of the top schools like Harvard, Mayo, Washington University (St. Louis), and John's Hopkins. They do alot in Cancer research and are world renowned with infant heart transplantation. They are looking for certain criteria though in applicants, not just numbers. They are one of the top private schools in the US for quality and they consistenly score higher on the Step 2 Clincals than all of the other california med schools the past 10 years. I may be biased since I'm a student there, but be under no allusions they are a major powerhouse in turning out top notch med students!!!! :thumbup:
I'm quite sure it's an excellent institution. Those rankings are taken a tad bit too seriously. It's fine if you want to know about stats, endowments, research, and about a schools strengths and weaknesses. But the overall rankings and squabbles over which school is easier/harder is just unnecessary. As long as you have the MD/DO after your name, that's all that really matters to me.

Ah the topic of this thread :(

No medical school is "easy" to get into. There is no guarantee whatsoever that you'll get in at a particular school even if your numbers are above their averages.

This is not true. I worked extremely hard to get as far as I could, and while I made it fairly far, I only got as far as being waitlisted at my top choice. I just finished my first year at my second choice, so life ain't bad, but "believe it and you can do it!" is just wishful thinking.

what about the guys at harvard, was that just wishful thinking?

I love how people keep repeating themselves taht there is no "EASY" med school to get into.

Now, how about someone answer "which schools are easier to get into OOS with no attachments to the area?"

Caribbean medical schools are easier to get into than US/Canadian allopathic or osteopathic medical schools.

Here is a link on SDN to the various schools in the Caribbean... http://www.studentdoc.com/caribbean-medical-school-websites.html

Caribbean Medical Schools
  • American International School of Medicine (Guyana)
  • University of Health Sciences (Antigua)
  • American University of the Caribbean (St. Maarten)
  • Central American Health Sciences University (Belize)
  • Grace University School of Medicine (Belize)
  • International University of the Health Sciences (St. Kitts)
  • Medical University of the Americas (Nevis)
  • Ross University School of Medicine (Dominica)
  • Saba University School of Medicine (Saba)
  • Spartan Health Sciences University (St. Lucia)
  • University of Sint Eustasius Medical School (St. Eustasius)
  • St. George's University School of Medicine (Grenada)
  • St. James School of Medicine (Bonaire)
  • St. Mary's School of Medicine (St. Lucia)
  • Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara School of Medicine (Mexico)
  • Universidad Iberoamericana (Santo Domingo)
  • Windsor University School of Medicine (St. Kitts)
  • St. Martinus (Curacao)
  • Saint Theresa's Medical University (St. Kitts)
  • American Global University School of Medicine (Belize)

According to US News - if you disregard the DO schools - the easiest schools to get into (according to their premium list hardest and easiest medical schools to get into) is what I have below (in order from easiest to hardest thru NYMC). To come up with this list they used GPA, MCAT, and acceptance rates. Their complete list ranks everyone from the top to the bottom, and considering how much money already goes into the medical school applications game, everyone should really be willing to spend another $15 to get it on-line. It has very helpful profiles of each school. Also, realize that a lot of these schools will accept anyone with a pulse in-state, but accept <1-5% OOS, so they are still not necessarily that easy to get into unless you're considering a move first.

Howard University (DC)
Ohio University
Oklahoma State University
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences (Kirksville) (MO)
University of Missouri--Kansas City
Southern Illinois University--Springfield
University of Louisville (KY)
East Carolina University (Brody) (NC)
Wright State University (OH)
University of Arizona
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (IL)
Michigan State University
Florida State University
East Tennessee State Univ. (Quillen)
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
U. of Texas Health Science Center--San Antonio
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
George Washington University (DC)
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wayne State University (MI)
University of New Mexico
Uniformed Services Univ. of the Health Sciences (Hebert) (MD)
Northeastern Ohio Univ. College of Medicine
SUNY--Syracuse
New York Medical College