Easy to find part time job after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rifle4802

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want 2-3 days/week of work as a doctor to be my career. Don't care which specialty and don't care about the kind of hospital as long as it's reasonably close to home, and I'm also perfectly okay with making only 80,000 - 100,000 per year. And I'm not talking about specialties
like ROADS, more like family practice/psychiatry.

How easy is it to find jobs like this out of residency? A lot of people have told be as long as I'm willing to accept the trade-off (lower salary, no benefits, etc) it should be easy. Are they right?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't care which specialty you go into? You really, really should.

To answer your question, yes it is possible, but I wouldn't call it "easy" per se.

I want 2-3 days/week of work as a doctor to be my career. Don't care which specialty and don't care about the kind of hospital as long as it's reasonably close to home, and I'm also perfectly okay with making only 80,000 - 100,000 per year. And I'm not talking about specialties

How easy is it to find jobs like this out of residency? A lot of people have told be as long as I'm willing to accept the trade-off (lower salary, no benefits, etc) it should be easy. Are they right?
You go into something like family practice or psych, depending on where you are you might be hard-pressed to clear even 80,000 working that little. If your expectation is to work that little, you might want to consider a different career, since you might not be able to pull it off. Ask yourself if you still want to be a doctor even if you have to work full-time the majority of your career. If not, there is a lot of training and a lot of debt in front of you, and when you get through it, you might not have a 2-day-per week 100,000/year job waiting for you. You very well might have to work a lot more than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how realistic this is. I know some Emergency physicians put in shift work and that can lead to "less" days of work a week but the days you do work will be marathons. I'm with everyone else, consider other careers if you are not comfortable working 60 - 100 hours a week for the majority of your professional career

There are a number of 'part-time' jobs available in medicine, but often these 'part-time' hours work out to 30-40 hours per week, while the full-time physicians are working more like 50-60 hours per week. If you want to do surgery, you're probably less likely to find a part-time job, while it may be easier with family medicine, emergency, etc.

Given the debt load of going through medical school, I would not bank on finding a part-time job immediately after completing residency. You're more likely to find it if you're a PA or NP.

You go into something like family practice or psych, depending on where you are you might be hard-pressed to clear even 80,000 working that little. If your expectation is to work that little, you might want to consider a different career, since you might not be able to pull it off. Ask yourself if you still want to be a doctor even if you have to work full-time the majority of your career. If not, there is a lot of training and a lot of debt in front of you, and when you get through it, you might not have a 2-day-per week 100,000/year job waiting for you. You very well might have to work a lot more than that.
Hmm... you sure about that? I know plenty of family docs and psychiatrists hitting around 160-190k/year working 40-50 hours/week. 80-95k/year while working 20-30 hours/week doesn't sound far-fetched to me. Plus my family is filthy rich so I won't have to worry about paying off loans/debt like a lot of other residents.

I don't know how realistic this is. I know some Emergency physicians put in shift work and that can lead to "less" days of work a week but the days you do work will be marathons. I'm with everyone else, consider other careers if you are not comfortable working 60 - 100 hours a week for the majority of your professional career
Just ridiculous. There's no way you have to work anywhere near 60-100 hours/week after residency.

Reactions: 3 users
There are a number of 'part-time' jobs available in medicine, but often these 'part-time' hours work out to 30-40 hours per week, while the full-time physicians are working more like 50-60 hours per week. If you want to do surgery, you're probably less likely to find a part-time job, while it may be easier with family medicine, emergency, etc.

Given the debt load of going through medical school, I would not bank on finding a part-time job immediately after completing residency. You're more likely to find it if you're a PA or NP.
Or part time can mean what part time means in every single other profession - less than ~40 hours/week. And if I won't be in debt after medical school then part time is certainly more feasible, correct?

She's ba-accck...

Reactions: 5 users

Streampaw pls go

Just ridiculous. There's no way you have to work anywhere near 60-100 hours/week after residency.

You are probably looking at some 100 hour weeks in residency depending on specialty and then some shorter weeks to it all averages down to the 80 hour a week cap.

After residency, I think 50-70 is pretty standard with surgical specialties being on the upper end. But yah, hai streampaw

Consider dermatology. I think a reputable AAMC source (which I cannot locate at the moment) estimated the average work week to be around 45 hrs/week. For most doctors/specialties, that's almost like going part time.

Hmm... you sure about that? I know plenty of family docs and psychiatrists hitting around 160-190k/year working 40-50 hours/week. 80-95k/year while working 20-30 hours/week doesn't sound far-fetched to me. Plus my family is filthy rich so I won't have to worry about paying off loans/debt like a lot of other residents.

pyxcs.gif

I'm confused. If you're so uninterested in medicine that doing the job full time sounds like a turn off for you, and you're rich enough where the job you do doesn't even matter, why not just go do something else...

Members don't see this ad :)
You are probably looking at some 100 hour weeks in residency depending on specialty and then some shorter weeks to it all averages down to the 80 hour a week cap.

After residency, I think 50-70 is pretty standard with surgical specialties being on the upper end. But yah, hai streampaw
No idea what or who "streampaw" is, but back on point, I never denied 80-100 hours during residency. I'm talking after residency.

50-70 being standard I'm not denying either. I'd say most doctors work somewhere in this range. But part time is not standard. That's what I'm interested in. I've yet to see anyone explain to me reasonably why I can't make 80-100k/year (way, way less than your average doctor) by working a lot less. I'm not asking for 170K+.

http://www.medfriends.org/specialty_hours_worked.htm
My work computers won't let me right click, so I can't imbed the table. But here's the gist: No specialty on that list works an average of less than 45 hours a week. The majority work over 50 hours per week, and about a quarter work 60+ hours a week.

It is possible to find job share positions as a hospitalist, for instance, where you would work 1 week out of every four for half pay by splitting a 7 on/7 off hospitalist job with another half-timer. That's about the only reasonable option I can see to do what you want to do right after graduation. Other than that, expect 40+ hours weeks, minimum.

pyxcs.gif

I'm confused. If you're so uninterested in medicine that doing the job full time sounds like a turn off for you, and you're rich enough where the job you do doesn't even matter, why not just go do something else...
You got it wrong. I have plenty of interest in medicine. But I also have other interests that I wouldn't have time for if I worked 50-65 hours/week. Is it really that outrageous to want to work part time?

Reactions: 1 users
http://www.medfriends.org/specialty_hours_worked.htm
My work computers won't let me right click, so I can't imbed the table. But here's the gist: No specialty on that list works an average of less than 45 hours a week. The majority work over 50 hours per week, and about a quarter work 60+ hours a week.

It is possible to find job share positions as a hospitalist, for instance, where you would work 1 week out of every four for half pay by splitting a 7 on/7 off hospitalist job with another half-timer. That's about the only reasonable option I can see to do what you want to do right after graduation. Other than that, expect 40+ hours weeks, minimum.
Because working under 45 hours/week, again, is not the norm or "average". I'm fully aware it's well below that. But if you're willing to absorb the downsides (primarily the lower income), I think you should be able to find job offers just as easily as a full timer.

You got it wrong. I have plenty of interest in medicine. But I also have other interests that I wouldn't have time for if I worked 50-65 hours/week. Is it really that outrageous to want to work part time?

It's not outrageous just kind of unlikely, so I'm just saying if this is a make or break deal for you then it's not worth the risk. I know a peds doctor who's family is really rich and only comes into his office 2-3 times a week. Then again he says he doesn't need the money at all and he's only doing it to keep busy. He barely gets that many patients because he doesn't put the time in to expand his practice (which is a business after all, and one which he is the sole owner of) so it seems like he really only breaks even. If you're not private practice I doubt you'll be able to find any hospital or group that would let you work part time.

Sort of, most people go into medicine and wanting it to be their main career. What other interests are we talking about? Business? Law? Trips to Cayman Islands?

No idea what or who "streampaw" is, but back on point, I never denied 80-100 hours during residency. I'm talking after residency.

50-70 being standard I'm not denying either. I'd say most doctors work somewhere in this range. But part time is not standard. That's what I'm interested in. I've yet to see anyone explain to me reasonably why I can't make 80-100k/year (way, way less than your average doctor) by working a lot less. I'm not asking for 170K+.

Alright, fair enough, but you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. It's not a very realistic expectation and if you have your heart set on that schedule you are only going to end up burnt out, cynical, and regretful.

I know a lot of doctors who do this, but they spend the remainder of their time doing something else that is meaningful beyond clinical practice - for example, research, teaching, medical service/advocacy, consulting, entrepreneurship, etc. In all these cases, it depends on the arrangement and expectations you have with an employer. That being said, if your goal is to work 2-3 days and sit around idle the other 4-5, good luck with that ..

One of my immediate family members is a surgeon 30 years out of residency. He works ~60 hours/week. This really isn't out of the ordinary in his discipline.

One of my immediate family members is a surgeon 30 years out of residency. He works ~60 hours/week. This really isn't out of the ordinary in his discipline.
Well yeah, it's common knowledge that surgeons work obscene hours. But I have no interest in surgery. Plus, he probably chooses to work that much. I said that you don't have to work 50+ hours/week if you don't want to.

Sort of, most people go into medicine and wanting it to be their main career. What other interests are we talking about? Business? Law? Trips to Cayman Islands?
Yeah, possibly other career interests that are business-related. Not really sure yet. And honestly, maybe even 4 days off/week just to bum around at home playing video games, golfing, watching TV, etc. Again, as long as I'm not getting paid like a full-timer, it sounds reasonable to me. Not asking to have my cake and eat it too.

Yeah, possibly other career interests that are business-related. Not really sure yet. And honestly, maybe even 4 days off/week just to bum around at home playing video games, golfing, watching TV, etc. Again, as long as I'm not getting paid like a full-timer, it sounds reasonable to me. Not asking to have my cake and eat it too.
I think it is doable for FM/EM/Psych/IM...

I can't believe I responded seriously to a streampaw thread. I'm losing it.

Reactions: 4 users

....So you're saying you're a rich spoiled kid?

It's not really unheard of. The VA that I'm currently training we have dedicated nocturnists that work 2-3 days a week that cover MICU, SICU and cross-cover the floor patients. They also pull in roughly 1000-1500 per shift which comes out to be about 4k a week and 12k a month. THey also have residents doing most of the work and they get to sleep. These guys are IM trained and able to do that. It's unlikely for people doing surgery/anesthesia/FM/radiology to be able to pull that off.

I don't know where sdn gets this idea that it's a 60+ work week for doctors and it's unthinkable to have your sights set on anything more lifestyle-friendly.

We no longer live in the House-of-God era. Times have changed. Doctors no longer have to sell their soul and every waking moment of their life to medicine. I was talking to my pediatrician and he works 4 days a week and says it's very easy to negotiate this sort of schedule. The standard at the clinic he works at is a 4.5 day work week.

The shortage for primary care physicians is going to be huge. Employers will take what they can get. If somebody tells me that I have to put in 60 hours a week or I can't be employed, I'd walk down the street to Kaiser.

I don't know where sdn gets this idea that it's a 60+ work week for doctors and it's unthinkable to have your sights set on anything more lifestyle-friendly.

We no longer live in the House-of-God era. Times have changed. Doctors no longer have to sell their soul and every waking moment of their life to medicine. I was talking to my pediatrician and he works 4 days a week and says it's very easy to negotiate this sort of schedule. The standard at the clinic he works at is a 4.5 day work week.

The shortage for primary care physicians is going to be huge. Employers will take what they can get. If somebody tells me that I have to put in 60 hours a week or I can't be employed, I'd walk down the street to Kaiser.

Yeah! We're going to be in demand! And instead of going out to help people like we signed up to do lets look out for our own self-interests while others are writhing in misery! WOO HOOO-- YEAH! doctors, respect us!

What's that? You can't get in to see a PCP anywhere and possibly could if I had longer hours?! I'm sorry, all I heard was "job stability! lolz #shouldnthavegottensicksucker! Here I come Kaiser!!! WOOP WOOOP"

...this is the kind of nonsense mentality that is truly ruining not only the perception of doctors in our society but also the inherent/intrinsic quality of doctors now days. (Yes, I want to go into surgery) This whole thread just made me nauseous to the very core. Look, sweetheart, if you're filthy rich and don't have to work, don't become a doctor. Go do something else. No one cares what you do these days anyways. Please, give someone else that spot, there are many that would gladly take it.

ADDY OUT

....So you're saying you're a rich spoiled kid?
Pretty much, but it’s not my fault my family’s loaded. Not something I had any control over. Listen man, we all have different priorities in life. Having an ass load of free time happens to be one of mine. It’s not a crime. If it’s not one of your priorities, that’s fine. Do whatever you want to do. That’s how I see it.

Pretty much, but it’s not my fault my family’s loaded. Not something I had any control over. Listen man, we all have different priorities in life. Having an ass load of free time happens to be one of mine. It’s not a crime. If it’s not one of your priorities, that’s fine. Do whatever you want to do. That’s how I see it.

Why are you being an idiot then? Learn how to invest daddy's money and live the life you want to live.

Yeah! We're going to be in demand! And instead of going out to help people like we signed up to do lets look out for our own self-interests while others are writhing in misery! WOO HOOO-- YEAH! doctors, respect us!

What's that? You can't get in to see a PCP anywhere and possibly could if I had longer hours?! I'm sorry, all I heard was "job stability! lolz #shouldnthavegottensicksucker! Here I come Kaiser!!! WOOP WOOOP"

...this is the kind of nonsense mentality that is truly ruining not only the perception of doctors in our society but also the inherent/intrinsic quality of doctors now days. (Yes, I want to go into surgery) This whole thread just made me nauseous to the very core. Look, sweetheart, if you're filthy rich and don't have to work, don't become a doctor. Go do something else. No one cares what you do these days anyways. Please, give someone else that spot, there are many that would gladly take it.

ADDY OUT

:meh:

ADDY OUT

It's not my fault if there is a shortage of PCPs. It is not my job to alleviate the shortage by grinding my ass into the pavement for 70+ hours for the rest of my life because the government won't fund more residency programs. I'd rather work a standard 40 hour week and perform 100% optimally for my patients than burn myself out by the time I'm 40.

work as an investment banker or work for your daddy. Don't be a doctor.

You're joking right?

Medicine would be the wrong career choice for you. Pharmacy is where it's at. You can bum around all day and do it on a part time basis.

work as an investment banker or work for your daddy. Don't be a doctor.
Lmao. What part of wanting to work 3 days and 20-30 hours/week did you not understand? Investment bankers work even more obscene hours than surgeons, never mind your average doctor. 100 hours/week is pretty ordinary for I-bankers. No thanks. I'll stick with medicine. No other field I know of where I can work so little and still come close to 6 figures. I pity I-bankers and surgeons and their sorry lives. Honestly, what else do these people get time to do besides work and sleep 4 hours a day? Must suck.

Last edited:
Medicine would be the wrong career choice for you. Pharmacy is where it's at. You can bum around all day and do it on a part time basis.
Yeah but 1) I wouldn't make as much and 2) I'm actually interested in medicine, not pharmacy. All these silly suggestions about choosing a different line of work ignore the simple fact that medicine is the career I'm interested in, not I-banking or PA or pharmacy.

Yeah but 1) I wouldn't make as much and 2) I'm actually interested in medicine, not pharmacy. All these silly suggestions about choosing a different line of work ignore the simple fact that medicine is the career I'm interested in, not I-banking or PA or pharmacy.
The trouble with part time work is a part timers have diminishing returns for a hospital or group. You have to pay malpractice and benefits for them, or if you are working in a 1099 position, you have to pay them yourself. Benefits and malpractice, disability insurance, health insurance, CME, board and license fees, etc can add up to 50k a year or more depending on specialty. And if you're in a 1099 position, you also have to pay self employment taxes. What this boils down to is that the first 50k of profit you earn every year goes right into benefits. Let's say you make 1k in profit per shift. That means your first 50 shifts go entirely to your benefits. Every shift after this is what it's actually worth a group to pay you. So if you want to actually take home 100k, for instance, you need to work 150 days to justify your existence. That's roughly 3 days a week. And for your nooby self, a "day" is usually around 12 hours of work, so you'd be looking at around 36 hours a week to justify 100k.

Why would a hospital or FM group hire a part time physician versus an APRN that would work the same part time hours but net more profit due to substantially lower benefit costs? You might find some places willing to do it, but it makes for poor business. Physicians in primary care don't start turning a solid return versus a midlevel until they hit the 40 hour mark with high productivity.

Reactions: 2 users
The trouble with part time work is a part timers have diminishing returns for a hospital or group. You have to pay malpractice and benefits for them, or if you are working in a 1099 position, you have to pay them yourself. Benefits and malpractice, disability insurance, health insurance, CME, board and license fees, etc can add up to 50k a year or more depending on specialty. And if you're in a 1099 position, you also have to pay self employment taxes. What this boils down to is that the first 50k of profit you earn every year goes right into benefits. Let's say you make 1k in profit per shift. That means your first 50 shifts go entirely to your benefits. Every shift after this is what it's actually worth a group to pay you. So if you want to actually take home 100k, for instance, you need to work 150 days to justify your existence. That's roughly 3 days a week. And for your nooby self, a "day" is usually around 12 hours of work, so you'd be looking at around 36 hours a week to justify 100k.

Why would a hospital or FM group hire a part time physician versus an APRN that would work the same part time hours but net more profit due to substantially lower benefit costs? You might find some places willing to do it, but it makes for poor business. Physicians in primary care don't start turning a solid return versus a midlevel until they hit the 40 hour mark with high productivity.
Very long-drawn-out post but very little substance in it. First off, your numbers are off on the cost of benefits and malpractice insurance. It doesn't come out to that much. And even if it did, who's to say that I'd have to pay for it? My family can easily take care of all that stuff.

And your point about part time work not being in the best interest of hospitals and FM groups is at odds with the simple fact that there are probably tens of thousands of part timers out there who had an easy time not only finding part time work but maintaining it for their entire career. The reason they'd hire part time doctors over APRNs is because APRNs aren't the least bit qualified to do a doctor's job. That's what they hire actual doctors to do.

Very long-drawn-out post but very little substance in it. First off, your numbers are off on the cost of benefits and malpractice insurance. It doesn't come out to that much. And even if it did, who's to say that I'd have to pay for it? My family can easily take care of all that stuff.

And your point about part time work not being in the best interest of hospitals and FM groups is at odds with the simple fact that there are probably tens of thousands of part timers out there who had an easy time not only finding part time work but maintaining it for their entire career. The reason they'd hire part time doctors over APRNs is because APRNs aren't the least bit qualified to do a doctor's job. That's what they hire actual doctors to do.

Go post this same thread on the resident forum. Also please make sure to let the adcoms know in the interview that you are interested in only working part-time since you can live on mommy and daddy's trust fund.

If what you want is free time and you have no financial concerns whatsoeever why not pick a profession where its normal to work those hours and you aren't putting other people in danger because you want to bum around.

Value of Benefits
Social Security
$9,740 4.0%
401K/403B $6,680 2.7%
Disability $1,670 0.7%
Healthcare $6,592 2.7%
Pension $11,691 4.8%
Time Off $22,839 9.3%
That is a typical benefits package for a family physician. Our part-timer would have the PTO cut in half, but this benefits package excludes malpractice, which runs between 10 and 20k. So you're looking at around 50k in benefits. You clearly know nothing about HR, employee benefits packages, or how compensation and benefits are blanced when an employee is hired. Source is salary.com.

Without a pension or employer contribution retirement account, and with half as much PTO provided and malpractice insurance that is on the lower side (10k) you are looking at $46,192 for benefits. As a 1099, if you went the IC route versus employed, you will likely have to pay your own healthcare (more expensive due to not having a group plan), double social security (as independent contractors pay both their half and the "employer" half of SS), your own disability insurance (which will be more expensive due to a lack of group purchasing power),and will lose the extra pay afforded by a 401k/403b match, leading to decreased earning and saving ability. You'll also be paying your malpractice post-tax and hoping your deductions balance out at the end of the year to getting some of that money back. Basically what this all boils down to is you're not going to save much of anything in a 1099 position versus employed, and might even pay more, so you would still end up looking at around 50k as an independent contractor.

These calculations all used benefit costs, malpractice insurance, and disability insurance costs for a FP provider, which are the LOWEST figures a physician will have. In any other field, the overhead of hiring you will be higher. As a hospitalist, for instance, your malpractice will be about double.

Last edited:
Go post this same thread on the resident forum. Also please make sure to let the adcoms know in the interview that you are interested in only working part-time since you can live on mommy and daddy's trust fund.

If what you want is free time and you have no financial concerns whatsoeever why not pick a profession where its normal to work those hours and you aren't putting other people in danger because you want to bum around.
Uh, because for the hundredth time I actually like medicine and it interests me greatly. That's why I don't want to pick another profession. And please dispense with the melodrama. "Putting other people in danger"? Hahahahaha. People like me and you who become doctors are treating/preventing illness and disease and saving lives. Whether you work 70 hours or 20, you are doing a great service to the world.

Let me guess, you aren't crying about part time work when a mother wants to "raise her kids and watch them grow." But part time work for other reasons isn't ok? Good stuff.

Uh, because for the hundredth time I actually like medicine and it interests me greatly. That's why I don't want to pick another profession. And please dispense with the melodrama. "Putting other people in danger"? Hahahahaha. People like me and you who become doctors are treating/preventing illness and disease and saving lives. Whether you work 70 hours or 20, you are doing a great service to the world.

Let me guess, you aren't crying about part time work when a mother wants to "raise her kids and watch them grow." But part time work for other reasons isn't ok? Good stuff.
Yah...because raising children is also a job. The less you practice the less experienced a physician you are and that makes you more prone to mistakes. Medicine as a profession has a huge culture of perfectionism because mistakes endanger other people, if you are unwilling to commit to that then you should not be a physician.

As to the second part of your post, you forget that hospitals and physician groups exist to MAKE MONEY. They aren't a service to the public or physicians, they are businesses. This is why anesthesiology groups are dropping like flies- hospitals find hiring AMCs that employ extremely high ratios of CRNAs to MDAs to be the most cost efficient and thus profitable. They don't care that the CRNAs are less qualified, because it's all about those dolla bills.

That's because what you think you like is not conducive to the lifestyle that you want, which implies you don't actually understand what a physician does. You can't be a doctor and be a lazy bum. You won't be able to keep up with the literature and will probably be an ineffective clinician because you aren't exposed to variety constantly. You can either do another job in health care that lets you have the lifestyle you want or you stop being lazy.

Why are you being an idiot then? Learn how to invest daddy's money and live the life you want to live.

I agree, but :troll:. I doubt this is a legitimate question/thread.

I pity I-bankers and surgeons and their sorry lives. Honestly, what else do these people get time to do besides work and sleep 4 hours a day? Must suck.

Did your family get filthy rich on 40 hour/week jobs?