Easy TY years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDSlacker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to go through the forum but it seems like most posts are very old. What are some easier TY programs located in good cities. Not too picky about geographic location as long as it is a bigger city. Also does anyone know any easy prelim programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Since no one else has posted anything, I thought I would share a quick and dirty list of programs I started to make based on comments in different threads here on SDN and auntminnie. Again, these are only based off of what I have read on SDN and like you mentioned, some of those posts were 5-10 years old so I assume things have changed at least somewhat since then. Either way it should give you a good jumping off point for your own personal research into programs. I copy/pasted some comments directly under the program for threads that specifically mentioned certain programs.

Note: The formatting was messed up when I copy/pasted so it doesn't look very pretty but I don't have the time to redo it for this post.

· Alabama
  • Baptist Medical Center Program, Birmingham, AL
    • cush
· Arizona
    • Tucson Hospitals Medical Education Program, Tucson, AZ
· California
· Colorado
· Connecticut
· Delaware
· Georgia
· Illinois
· Indiana
· Iowa

· Maine
· Massachusetts
· Michigan
· Minnesota
· Missouri
· New York
· North Dakota
· Ohio
· Pennsylvania

· South Carolina
South Dakota
· Tennessee
· Texas
· Utah
· Virginia
    • Riverside Regional Medical Center Program, Newport News, VA
      • very cush
      • 7 months of fundamental clinical skills rotations in Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine and Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
      • The remaining 5 rotations can be set up in elective rotations that will satisfy the incoming Transitional Year resident's educational needs and eventual residency/board certification requirements.
· Washington
· West Virginia
· Wisconsin

preliminary programs worth applying to;
  • Prelim Med in Birmingham, AL
  • Virginia mason Prelim Med in Seattle, WA
  • Einstein philly prelim
  • Lankenau in Philly. 5 months of electives in a prelim med program

I wanted to share some facts about a few TY programs that are listed in the past post, whether or not they are truly "cush" and why people should consider applying and going on an interview if offered. I believe "cush" to be relative but it seems that some combination of 5 electives/no ICU/no surgery qualifies as super cush.

I applied to 13 TY programs and 10 prelim medicine programs. I participated in 8 TY interviews and 2 prelim medicine interviews. The programs I chose to go on were based on reputation and location learned from talking to past residents and reading this forum. I would advise everybody to apply to 10 prelim med programs (why not) and decide not to go on them if you have enough TY interview invites.

Wheaton St Joseph (St. Joes)- Milwaukee
- This program has a preliminary medicine feel with 6 months of ward medicine. The hospital has an open ICU so there is no dedicated ICU month (you will therefore be participating in the ICU multiple times during your 6 months of ward medicine). I personally think this is a great aspect about this program that has obvious benefits for both the residents and patients. Ward days usually end by 3 pm. There are 4 months of electives and a required ambulatory and ER rotation. Electives are definitely easy and one can often leave by noon. There are no international travel opportunities. Wheaton St. Joes starting this year (2015) will be "run" by the Medical College of Wisconsin, hence all stipends and benefits will be managed by MCW. This is a good thing because it includes a stellar salary (~$57,000) and an annual $1500 education fund. There is lunch provided every afternoon but no monthly food stipend. Rating: cush

Aurora St. Lukes- Milwaukee
- This program is the holy grail of TY years that many people know about in the Midwest but is unheard of elsewhere. Most of the residents will be radiology residents at St. Lukes (50%) or derm/ophtho residents in minnesota/wisconsin/illinois. There are 5 months of electives including the option of travelling internationally for 1 month. All that is required in a presentation about your experiences after you return. There is a fund of $1000 that can be used for said travel OR an educational conference. There is 5 months of ward medicine, an ICU month, and no general surgery month. Residents get a month stipend of $225 for food but also have free breakfast and lunch daily. $450 for books and $200 for tech is also offered. Salary is very competitive at ~$57,000. Rating: super cush

Northshore/University of Chicago- North Evanston
- This program is located in north Evanston about 20 minutes from Chicago. The main hospital is big and beautiful but the residency requires driving to 2 other locations which are about 15 minutes away (triangle formation). The TY year and prelim medicine years are almost identical (TYs have a required ambulatory block for better or for worse), hence this TY year is medicine heavy (6 months) with an ICU month and 4 months of electives. There is no overnight call due to a dedicated night-float team. Walking rounds are to a minimum. Interestingly, there are no super special benefits at this institution- you get Up-to-date, a waived conference fee, and meal vouchers when you are on call. They note that the fellowship matches are great because they are technically the University of Chicago, but why would that matter to a non categorical. That being said, you do get very good training here on all rotations and do leave with the ability to say you trained at UChicago. Expect academic learning without the vigor of an academic medical center. Highly competitive. Salary is ~$52,000. Rating: cush

Presence St. Francis- South Evanston
- I believe that changes in the curriculum of this program over the past few years, selectivity of its TY residents (500 applications, ~70 interviews, 10 selected), and proximity to downtown Chicago have really made this one of the top TY programs in the Chicago area. You will be working with an extremely intelligent group of people which makes each day significantly easier. St. Francis require 5 months of ward medicine and a general surgery month. There is no ICU month. You are allowed 5 months of electives which are all noted to be very easy and have the ability to block your vacation time. Sadly, there is no opportunity for an international experience. Residents get $175/month for meals, free coffee every morning, and an occasional catered lunch. >$1000 is available for conference use as well as $250 for books/technology. Salary is ~$52,000. Rating: very cush

Presence Resurrection- Western Chicago
- I did not get an interview as this location. I was a little sad at first because I've always heard about how awesome it is (only heard because there are NO written reviews on SDN that I can find). I got curious and looked up the curriculum to see why it was so amazing. I'm not really sure - 2 months ward medicine, 2 months surgery, 1 month ICU and 4 elective months. It honestly doesn't sound THAT amazing, right? Somebody needs to tell me what I am missing.

Tucson Health Medical Education Program (THMEP)- Tucson
- This is a fun program in the Southwest that traditionally matches a lot of radiology residents, not because of bias but because there aren't many other sub-specialty residencies in the area. The hospital covers a lot of square footage because during the building of the hospital there was a law that prevented structures from obscuring the mountain landscape. There are golf carts inside the hospital for this reason. The program requires 4 months of ward medicine, 1 month ICU, 1 month gen surg, and 3 months of electives. Not the most amazing sounding curriculum but there is a low influx of patients during most months so none of the rotations become busy. There is $200-300(?) available for meals each month. Salary is $50,000 which is understandable for a very low cost of living. Great place to be if you enjoy the outdoors and need amazing weather for a year. Rating: very cush

Henry Ford Hospital- Detroit
- This is a nice TY program that is part of a wonderful hospital system. Many of the residents are affiliated with HFH or doing a residency in Michigan. The curriculum is great: 5 ward medicine months, and 5 elective months. No required ICU or gen surgery months (unless you are radiology which requires an ICU month). The best benefits of this program are the corporate discounts associated with Ford including car purchases and sporting events. You get $300 for educational use, $1500 for a conference along with a reasonable $52,000 salary. Many of the residents block their vacation time and travel for a month at once. Detroit is improving as a city but still needs about 5 years of work, which is probably why the program is populated by residents staying in the region. Rating: super cush

Lincoln Medical and Mental Health- South Bronx
- This is an often over looked program affiliated with Weill Cornell in South Bronx. It is a county hospital with a high volume. Salary is ~$56,000. I am attaching a very comprehensive review on this program written by another member (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ntal-health-center-transitional-year.1053708/) Rating: average

UCLA Harbor- Torrance
- This program does not interview applicants. Rather, they send you a link and password to some outdated informational videos and give you an optional visitation day. I didn't visit, and won't be ranking the program highly. Salary is low (~$47,000) and the curriculum is rather intense. The only true draw is the location. If you look at the TY roster it is >90% California students. Rating: average

Last edited:
Aurora St. Lukes- Milwaukee
- This program is the holy grail of TY years that many people know about in the Midwest but is unheard of elsewhere. Most of the residents will be radiology residents at St. Lukes (50%) or derm/ophtho residents in minnesota/wisconsin/illinois. There are 5 months of electives including the option of travelling internationally for 1 month. All that is required in a presentation about your experiences after you return. There is a fund of $1000 that can be used for said travel OR an educational conference. There is 5 months of ward medicine, an ICU month, and no general surgery month. Residents get a month stipend of $225 for food but also have free breakfast and lunch daily. $450 for books and $200 for tech is also offered. Salary is very competitive at ~$57,000. Rating: super cush

I would dare say that Riverside in Virginia is on par with Aurora when it comes to overall "cushness." 5 months of electives (some of which you can essentially not show up for for an entire month), no ICU, 2.5 months of wards, 2 months of ED (which I would take over wards any day), a month of family medicine night float (which is when you get to catch up on your Netflix in the call room since you won't be busy doing much else), and two weeks of family medicine inpatient ("wards lite").

Free food whenever you please, just swipe your badge. There's a $500 book fund. I forget what the salary was, but it was somewhere around $50-51,000.

I'd say Riverside gets the slight edge as far as the rotations and such, and Aurora gets the edge with salary/stipends.

Reactions: 1 users