Eat Your Greens: Cooking Challenge #6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Qv2zp.png

Week number six!

To reiterate the challenge:
Each week will have a different food posted, and the challenge is to prepare a dish highlighting (or at least utilizing) that food. You then take a picture, chow down, and then post it on the thread, with comments and (hopefully!) a recipe. Easy peasy!

Additionally, the food for the next week will be posted along with the current week, so anybody who doesn't have the ingredient on hand can put it on their shopping list.

Current Week's Food: Greens
ffxiv-la-noscean-lettuce.png
(Be liberal with interpretation - anything from kale to iceberg is fair game).
Current Week Dates: Monday, 6/25 through Sunday, 7/1

Next Week's Food: Coffee
smileys-coffee-578570.gif

Next Week's Dates: Monday, 7/2 through Saturday, 7/9

Need Inspiration? Tastespotting, Foodgawker, Nibbledish, or Photograzing may help you out!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Next week is the first week in the house, meaning I'm ready to finally start :laugh: But coffee.. :p

But I'll try to make something this week, too.

Maybe a salad with grilled shrimp or something. Healthy (mostly) and good.

Members don't see this ad :)
That looks amazing! Recipe? Or is it literally just mango and pineapple plus cilantro to taste?

• -It's about 1.5 cups of pineapple and mango (mine had more pineapple because I had cut a whole one up recently, and my mango was a little small).
  • about 1/3 cup of cilantro
  • -3 tbsp finely chopped sweet red onion
  • -juice of one lime

---In another version, my mom threw in some grape tomatoes, chopped red bell pepper, and a cup of fruit cocktail as the 'fruit'....also very good.

Last edited:
Pad See Ew

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces fresh wide, flat rice noodles (sen yai) - I usually use what even noodles I have on hand.
  • 1/2 cup chicken, sliced thinly
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
  • 2 cups Chinese broccoli, chopped coarsely (with stems sliced very thinly on diagonal)- I have done this with spianch and regular broccoli
  • 1 large egg- To make it more vegetarian friendly, I have left out the chicken and added 2 or 3 eggs. I like it eggy
  • 2 Tablespoons sweet dark soy sauce- I dont always have this on hand so I have left it out just doubled up on evrything else, but you can use molasses or a mix of palm sugar and dark soy.
  • 2 Tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 2 teaspoons regular soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
Instructions:
  1. Prepare your sauce by mixing the sweet dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, thin soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar together. Set aside. If you ommit the sweet soy sauce, double up on everything else.
  2. Prepare your rice noodles by blanching them in simmering water for a few seconds. Use your fingers to separate each noodle if they are stuck together. If you use other noodles, such as egg noodles, cook them a bit longer. You want your noodles cooked.
  3. Add a bit of oil to your wok and heat it to high heat. Add the garlic and saute until it's almost golden brown. Then add the chicken and saute until it's cooked through.
  4. Push the garlic and chicken to the side of the wok. Add a little more oil and once it's hot, crack an egg and scramble it in the middle of the wok.
  5. Push everything to the side and add the blanched rice noodles and sauce you prepared earlier. Mix everything together and stir fry until there is not much liquid left in the wok.
  6. Next add the Chinese broccoli to the noodles and cook until wilted. During this time, just let the noodles sit for a minute or so to get a nice char on them. Once done, take off the heat and serve immediately! ENJOY!

429653_10100170709169545_1986821124_n.jpg

Lots of greens in this one! Dinosaur Dip! Greek yogurt, avocado, spinach, herbs & lime.

Lots of greens in this one! Dinosaur Dip! Greek yogurt, avocado, spinach, herbs & lime.

That sounds good. I might try this one.. (trying to get used to eating avocado for my bf's sake.. really don't like it most of the time, but need to try new stuff. maybe this will do. Especially with that name! :laugh:)

It's probably a good gate-way avocado food, you really can't taste it by the time you get all the herbs added in there! The name makes me giggle too- it was a recipe I came across to get kids to eat their veggies! lol

Oh man QT...thats FANTASTIC looking. Mmm. I'm going to have to get some more greek yogurt and make this for my 4th of July stuff!

Oh boo... this time last year I was cutting all the collard greens I grew in my garden and making a HUGE pot of them for our 4th of July BBQ... didn't have time this year since I'm moving :(.

Members don't see this ad :)
P3zeT.png

This is a sort of cop out recipe, but was yummy! Spinach and strawberry salad, with feta and candied pecans. Candied pecans recipe, salad recipe.

I was going to make the balsamic dressing in the latter recipe, but forgot to pick up balsamic vinegar while at the store, doh. So it's just poppy seed dressing from my fridge.

I inadvertently did this challenge, but no photos since it's already been eaten. :oops:
Tofu Stir Fry over Greens
1 package tofu
broccoli, chopped in pieces
carrots, chopped in pieces
Store-bought curry sauce (I used TJ's yellow curry)
Greens (I had beet greens, lettuce, endive and some carrot greens)

Stir fry the tofu, then add the broccoli and carrots, along with a little water. Cover the pan to allow vegetables to steam. Add sauce. Serve over greens (instead of rice)

The endive I picked from my garden was a little old to be eating raw (the edges were quite prickly!), but this was a great way for me to use up tofu and broccoli that had been in my fridge for a week AND use the greens I picked from my garden when they were at their prime.

My mom went shopping for me and I just cooked (I'm serious), but she didn't get anything green. Unless you count the little pieces in the salsa.

I ripped up half a tortilla into small pieces and put them in a pan with butter. 1.5 slices of cheese and some salsa added a bit later. I just waited until all the cheese melted and them wrapped it into the other half of the tortilla.

Nothing exciting, but much healthier than everything else I have here. It tasted decent, but I think if I figure out what else to put in and how much exactly of everything, then it wouldn't be that bad actually.

My mom went shopping for me and I just cooked (I'm serious), but she didn't get anything green. Unless you count the little pieces in the salsa.

I ripped up half a tortilla into small pieces and put them in a pan with butter. 1.5 slices of cheese and some salsa added a bit later. I just waited until all the cheese melted and them wrapped it into the other half of the tortilla.

Nothing exciting, but much healthier than everything else I have here. It tasted decent, but I think if I figure out what else to put in and how much exactly of everything, then it wouldn't be that bad actually.

Gotta start somewhere! That sounds yummy.

Gotta start somewhere! That sounds yummy.

I guess so! I'm really trying to cook more in the future, but it's hard with what I have here right now. We need to finish moving in first and then we are going really shopping to have everything I want in the kitchen. :)

I've disappeared for a week because this past week had been very busy for me, but I'm back. I'm kind of excited for next week's ingredient even though I don't like coffee.

Snack Wrap

IMG_1123.jpg

1 Tortilla
Lettuce
1 Hamburger
Cheese
Mayo/Ranch Dressing/Ketchup/Mustard (Whatever you want to you use)

Cook the hamburger and cut it in half. Add your chosen condiment, the lettuce, cheese, and hamburger halves to a tortilla, and wrap. :)

I made something really simple this week, but I'll make something a bit more complicated next week.

OK I'm so excited to say my recipe but there is no picture. Because I ate it.

I made this up because I was trying to use things from my farm share. The "greens" featured are called a garlic scape and it is like a curly green onion looking thing, but it tastes like a very mild garlic crossed with a green bean. My recipe fed 2 very greedy people (my girlfriend and I) but it would feed 3 or 4 sane people.

Apple Mountain Recipe:

1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
8? baby red potatoes
salt
pepper
6 eggs
sourdough bread (1 piece per person)
butter
vegetable oil for cooking it in
1 apple
cheddar cheese

I sliced up the baby potatoes, squash, and zucchini into thin slices and sauteed them with the vegetable oil. Once they were started cooking I cut up the garlic scapes into 2 inch pieces and added them in. Then I added salt and pepper and sauteed it on low heat until it was almost cooked, and then cracked the eggs on top. I mixed in the eggs but didn't really scramble them so it was somewhere between a scrambled egg and omelet texture for the eggs. When the eggs were done I turned off the heat but left it in the pan and put a bunch of shredded cheddar on top. While the cheddar was melting, I made buttered sourdough bread slices and thin apple slices. Then I assembled the "Apple Mountain" with a slice of bread on the bottom, then the eggs/vegetables/cheese, and apple slices on top.

AND THEN I ATE IT. :D

I made this up because I was trying to use things from my farm share. The "greens" featured are called a garlic scape and it is like a curly green onion looking thing, but it tastes like a very mild garlic crossed with a green bean. My recipe fed 2 very greedy people (my girlfriend and I) but it would feed 3 or 4 sane people.

Apple Mountain Recipe:

1 yellow squash
1 zucchini
8? baby red potatoes
salt
pepper
6 eggs
sourdough bread (1 piece per person)
butter
vegetable oil for cooking it in
1 apple
cheddar cheese

I sliced up the baby potatoes, squash, and zucchini into thin slices and sauteed them with the vegetable oil. Once they were started cooking I cut up the garlic scapes into 2 inch pieces and added them in. Then I added salt and pepper and sauteed it on low heat until it was almost cooked, and then cracked the eggs on top. I mixed in the eggs but didn't really scramble them so it was somewhere between a scrambled egg and omelet texture for the eggs. When the eggs were done I turned off the heat but left it in the pan and put a bunch of shredded cheddar on top. While the cheddar was melting, I made buttered sourdough bread slices and thin apple slices. Then I assembled the "Apple Mountain" with a slice of bread on the bottom, then the eggs/vegetables/cheese, and apple slices on top.

AND THEN I ATE IT. :D

This sounds delicious. I wish you had a picture! I've also never seen garlic scape before, they're super pretty.

This sounds delicious. In that thrown-together and you don't necessarily expect it to be all that good kind of way--but then you have a mouthgasm when you taste it. Mmm.

And lolz about you and your gf being 'greedy people' when it comes to dinner. ;)

It was seriously so good. And yes we are greedy :laugh: