EC Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cornholio76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying in the 2016 cycle; my stats are good (LizzyM 75+), but I am a little worried about my clinical EC's. Here is my list; the numbers reflect how many hours I will have by the time the application cycle opens.

Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours; all patient contact, plus 4 hours a week through the application cycle and into next year
ER scribing: 250 hours, plus 16-24 hours a week through the application cycle and into next year
Shadowing: 175 hours (Two physicians, a surgeon and a primary care physician; surgeon was 50% in OR and 50% in clinic)

I have non clinical EC's as well including long-term research, nonclinical volunteering, employment, and involvement/leadership in a student organization, but I am wondering if this is a "good enough" collection of clinical activities to apply with. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering applying in the 2016 cycle; my stats are good (LizzyM 75+), but I am a little worried about my clinical EC's. Here is my list; the numbers reflect how many hours I will have by the time the application cycle opens.

Clinical Volunteering: 150 hours; all patient contact, plus 4 hours a week through the application cycle and into next year
ER scribing: 250 hours, plus 16-24 hours a week through the application cycle and into next year
Shadowing: 175 hours (Two physicians, a surgeon and a primary care physician; surgeon was 50% in OR and 50% in clinic)

I have non clinical EC's as well including long-term research, nonclinical volunteering, employment, and involvement/leadership in a student organization, but I am wondering if this is a "good enough" collection of clinical activities to apply with. Any advice?
Your clinically related activities will be more than fine, especially if you have conversations with your shadowees about the challenges facing a physician these days.

Has the long-term research resulted in any posters, presentations, or publications? Do you care to be more specific about the leadership and nonclinical volunteering? Any teaching? What about hobbies and/or artistic endeavors that might help you stand out?

Your clinically related activities will be more than fine, especially if you have conversations with your shadowees about the challenges facing a physician these days.

Has the long-term research resulted in any posters, presentations, or publications? Do you care to be more specific about the leadership and nonclinical volunteering? Any teaching? What about hobbies and/or artistic endeavors that might help you stand out?
Unfortunately no, but I did get LoRs from the two PIs that I worked with. I have been volunteering with a local nonprofit for six months now, and have been working with them about 8 hours a week and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. I tutored for one university course, and have also been working as a tutor for a private company since I graduated. As for leadership, I was vice president of a student organization for one year, and was an active member for all four years of undergrad.

As far as hobbies, I enjoy reading and exercising, but I am also considering taking up home-brewing. Would that be construed as odd or inappropriate?

Unfortunately no, but I did get LoRs from the two PIs that I worked with. I have been volunteering with a local nonprofit for six months now, and have been working with them about 8 hours a week and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. I tutored for one university course, and have also been working as a tutor for a private company since I graduated. As for leadership, I was vice president of a student organization for one year, and was an active member for all four years of undergrad.

As far as hobbies, I enjoy reading and exercising, but I am also considering taking up home-brewing. Would that be construed as odd or inappropriate?
Home brewing as a hobby is fine, if you're of legal age for taste-testing.