EC question....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gutierrez001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished EMT-B classes one month ago. The thing is that i have been looking for a job as an ER-TECH but i cant find any open positon. I am currently volunteer at a clinic one day a week,were i take basic vital signs and medical info. . What i am wondering is that if this can counts as an ER tech volunteer (for EC).Also i have a interview for a Pt. transporter postion, but does this count as any experience.THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Gutierrez001 said:
I finished EMT-B classes one month ago. The thing is that i have been looking for a job as an ER-TECH but i cant find any open positon. I am currently volunteer at a clinic one day a week,were i take basic vital signs and medical info. . What i am wondering is that if this can counts as an ER tech volunteer (for EC).Also i have a interview for a Pt. transporter postion, but does this count as any experience.THANKS

Even if that volunteer experience is not considered "ER tech volunteer" it is still clinical volunteer experience. What it is technically termed doesn't really matter. Any clinical experience will be looked upon favorably.

Gutierrez001 said:

Hi and welcome to SDN
042.gif

To answer your question... Yes that counts towards clinical volunteer time. A dean of admissions once told me the definition of clinical ECs is "You had direct patient contact and you still want to become a doctor."

Members don't see this ad :)
Should i take the Pt. transporter postion,would i be able to use it as EC.

Put everything down for your ECs. I was a volunteer at a medical examiner's office. I suppose it is direct patient contact, although we didn't communicate in the normal fashion. My vote---everything counts.

Gutierrez001 said:
Should i take the Pt. transporter postion,would i be able to use it as EC.

Yes of course you could use it. And enjoy the job and be friendly to the patients. I have seen some really crappy pt transporters and they make the patients feel worse. I have seen some great ones and they help put patients at ease. Anything that you can do to make patients more comfortable is great for them and for you.