ECFMG certificate and Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingkenny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the ECFMG certification process which I hope you could help me with.
I graduated from a foreign medical school in August 2011 and have my Provisional degree certificate with me(not valid for ECFMG certificate). I have requested my University to issue my Medical Diploma but they state that due to regulations, I can only receive it in March-April 20112. Otherwise, I have completed all requirements for the ECFMG certificate. I checked my status on NRMP and it says ‘ECFMG status verified'.

My interviews are in January and my question is whether I can match without the ECFMG certificate? The NRMP manual/ECFMG website just states that I should have completed the exams for ECFMG certification by ROL deadline without which I will be removed from the match. I also plan on informing the places I'm interviewing at of my situation and plan to take a letter from my University which states when I'll receive my diploma.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

considering most students are in their 4th year by ROL and match day, this means they still haven't graduated, which means they can't be ECFMG certified. so yes, you can still be in the match without the ECFMG certificate. i'm sure nrmp stated that. good luck

considering most students are in their 4th year by ROL and match day, this means they still haven't graduated, which means they can't be ECFMG certified. so yes, you can still be in the match without the ECFMG certificate. i'm sure nrmp stated that. good luck

I think you're referring to US med students and while its true for them, does the same hold good for FMG's?

why don't you look on the NRMP website? there you will find that you do not need to be ECFMG certified to take part in the match, all you need is for your ECFMG status to be 'verified' which I gather it has. Individual programs may however require certification prior to the due date for rank lists. I would inquire about this with the program coordinators.

why don't you look on the NRMP website? there you will find that you do not need to be ECFMG certified to take part in the match, all you need is for your ECFMG status to be 'verified' which I gather it has. Individual programs may however require certification prior to the due date for rank lists. I would inquire about this with the program coordinators.

Yes I had done that before(like I stated in my original post). I just needed clear confirmation because one of the programs I was supposed to interview at sent me a mail telling me that they wanted the ECFMG certificate for the interview.

Thanks a lot for your confirmation.

Cheers.

U dont need the certificate for the match...just need to be verified.
However the programs will decide if they will rank you without a certificate or not. I know pple who matched without the certificate...depends on the program. If they've had bad experiences in the past then it could be important to them

U dont need the certificate for the match...just need to be verified.
However the programs will decide if they will rank you without a certificate or not. I know pple who matched without the certificate...depends on the program. If they've had bad experiences in the past then it could be important to them

This.

Whatever the program says you need to be ranked is what you need to be ranked. In order to participate in the Match however you just need to be ECFMG eligible (basically all but diploma), not ECFMG certified.

But again, if Program X wants certification and you don't have certification, they're not going to rank you, period.

gutonc, Robinho- Thanks a million for the clarification.