ECFMG What exactly medical school credentials are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vertigo7

Physician, IMG
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When our medical school sends our education credentials to ecfmg what exactly does it mean? Are those grades from every subject we took during med school, or something else?

Also, how are our grades from clinical clerkships transfered to ERAS? What if grading system in my country is different that that in US?

Please, someone shed some light on this.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

All they do is confirm your graduation. Grades are not transmitted to ERAS. Your school will write an MSPE (Medical Student Performance Evaluation) which is an uploaded document so can be in any format they want, which will describe your performance in medical school.

Thanks a lot! Now it makes sense

And what about medical school transcript? Does this apply to American medical graduates only? Or our medical school sends out these to ERAS, besides MSPE?

I have highest grades in almost every clinical clerkship, but my school doesn't have ranking system developed (e.g. top 10%, top 5%...).
I mean, is this even important to programs in selection of candidates when sending out interview invites?

Your school (or you) will upload your transcript. Your transcript is what it is -- grades, percentiles, ranking, etc. Some have more detail, some have less. Same with the MSPE. You have no control over these things -- your school defines what they will look like. Yes, these definitely go into interview decisions -- although as an IMG you might find that your USMLE scores and LOR's from US rotations might be the things that programs focus on.