Echo Fellowships USA vs. Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellow

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am coming from Canada. I have a question about echo fellowships in the USA.

In Canada we have a 1-2 year echo fellowship after we finish cardio. It gives you TEE experience and level 3.

Does something similar exist in the US? I have not seen too many such fellowships advertised online - are they internally filled?

Your help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

The US is different in that any one with level 2 training can do TEE; you don't need to do a dedicated year of echo.
Good fellowships for echo would be Mayo Roch (strain, adult congenital), Cleveland Clinic, MGH, UCSF, Northwestern, Methodist/Baylor, Penn (structural), Chicago (3D), Columbia (structural) etc.. Each place has its pros and cons with differing emphasis on 3D, Strain, structural and adult congenital echo etc (those are practically the skills you need level 3 training for). Its also important to be able to see in '3D'; hence instruction in cardiac anatomy and pathology is vital; quite a few programs lack this.
It would be safe to say that the most famous lab in the US right now is Mayo Roch followed by others. Surprisingly echo at many famous programs is not as 'developed' as you might think.
With cuts in imaging reimbursement, a lot of the echo/imaging fellowships have dwindled.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Awesome reply!

Wanted to bump this thread to discuss utility in pursuing echo fellowship? How important is this for a general cardiologist in academia vs private practice?