ECU Dental Applying 2011

jmt1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get a thread started for those that are planning on applying to the new dental school at ECU. Any information, news, and updates would be great to hear.

Has any NC people been to ECU yet to see the construction or meet anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on applying there. Their focus on small town dentistry and the shortage in NC is right down my alley, so I'm pretty excited that they are opening.

I don't believe construction starting until very recently. They had hoped to have had the first floor of the building completed and to work out of there for the first year, but it looks more and more like the first year will be spent hopping around other buildings.

In other news: just yesterday they officially changed the degree they will be offering from DDS to DMD, and changed their name form ECU School of Dentistry to ECU School of Medicine.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks for the update. I try to hit the web page every so often to catch up, but I missed that.

I think that it will be nice to be a NC resident applying this year, with ECU opening and UNC increasing enrollment (which is still happening, right?) there are a lot more spots available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh, I wish UNC was increasing enrollment this year. My understanding is that that is still 2-3 years off. The new building at UNC should open around early 2012, so I'd guess at the earliest theyd increase from 81 to 100 spots would be the next application cycle. I believe I recall hearing from the Dean at UNC that it would be 2-3 though.

But, all 50 spots at ECU are in-state, so that's a substantial increase for in-state candidates.

I will probably also be applying. I really want to go to UNC but most people do so competition is stiff. I heard that both ECU and UNC are increasing class sizes to 70 and 100 respectively in 2012. As for ECU, we had a speaker come talk to our pre dental society about it and in terms of the building, he said that they had some issues getting permits to start building and that they had a problem with design in terms of how to clean the glass dome of the building because it is very high.

@jmt1984: not really, only advantage to having a FB account is you get the updates when you sign into your account without going to the actual ECU Dental Fan page, otherwise if you check it on your own you can view everything a person with a FB account can.

@jmt1984: not really, only advantage to having a FB account is you get the updates when you sign into your account without going to the actual ECU Dental Fan page, otherwise if you check it on your own you can view everything a person with a FB account can.

Thanks, I suppose I should get with the times and get an account anyways.

Anyone know how difficult the initial accreditation process is? ie-have there ever been any schools that have not passed the initial accreditation process and had to try again later?

If so this could be a concern for those of us interested in ECU. I was just reading up on the process on their website and came across the following: "Offers of admission to ECU School of Dental Medicine will be contingent upon the program receiving notification of Initial Accreditation in early 2011." It'd be rough to be offered admission and count on going there only to find out they weren't accredited.

Any thoughts/experience with this in the past? I don't know anything about the accreditation process so I figured I'd throw it out there for someone who does...

When maggie wilson from admissions came to talk to our pre-dental club she said no school has never not gotten initial accreditation I think it is just one of those formalities that needs to be taken care of to ensure the dental school will have a successful program.

Anyone else here start filling out the old application?

Anyone here as glad as I was to see ECU as a choice? :)

Submitting Wednesday. It was nice seeing them up there.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up, ECU announced today via their facebook group that they will not require a supplemental application fee, which I'm guessing is the $70 that is listed on the AADSAS .pdf ???

Has anyone gotten a supplemental application from ECU yet?

Interview Invite today!!! Took the DAT this past Monday, and emailed them my scores hoping for an earlier decision. Looks like it worked out.

I posted here, b/c the title of this thread is a little more appropriate for those applying. Good luck to everybody on their interviews.

Congrats to those with interviews! After reading some posts, it seems that some ppl were invited prior to submitting their secondaries, correct? I submitted my secondary already, I hope the turn-around time is fast.:xf:

Anyone else heard any news regarding the number they plan on interviewing etc?

No I had not submitted my secondary yet before I got the interview invite. I'm going to attempt to complete it today. I'm not sure how many they'll be interviewing, but I just scheduled my interview, and the guy said they'll be interviewing on Tuesdays and Wednesdays through February. UNC interviews close to 200 in-state applicants, so I'm guessing it will be about the same for ECU. Good luck!

Found out that I have an interview, in November. Pretty pumped:thumbup:, anyone else have news?

awesome news.

Does anyone else think that there are a ton of interview days? It seems like Tuesdays and Wednesdays through Feb. are a ton of days...would that be about 48 interview days, maybe 5 ppl per day (around 250 total)? Thoughts?

MrWilson- I see you are a non-trad application like myself. Have you gotten any feedback from the other schools you applied to this cycle?

has anyone had an interview yet? If so, how was it?

I believe the first interview date isn't until the 27th or 28th of this month.

yup.

they interview tues/wedn

and the first batch is 28/29

has anyone received any further emails? mine is oct. 5th and i was told id receive another email with further instructions.

NRG:

I haven't heard anything yet, my interview is at the begining of Nov. I believe the person I spoke with said I would receive an e-mail a 'few weeks' prior, so you should be hearing something soon.
Good luck!:thumbup:

PS - I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions of the school/administration after their interview!

The person I spoke with said an email will be sent two weeks prior to the interview. Based on the date of your interview, I would expect it next week.

My interview is Oct 5th too! Do you know how many people are scheduled for that day?

is anybody apprehensive about going to a brand new school? One side of me doesn't want to be the guinea pig class and the other side thinks that they will try very hard for the first class

yup.

they interview tues/wedn

and the first batch is 28/29

has anyone received any further emails? mine is oct. 5th and i was told id receive another email with further instructions.

I have an interview on 9/28 and I received the email that you are referring to on the 15th. Hope that helps

I was told there were going to be 8 applicants/day. It is a long day, 8am-2pmish. Starts off by everyone meeting, then meeting the dean if hes around, then they jump straight into the interviews. Afterward there is an "educational" time where I suppose we will learn more about the school. Then they'll provide lunch followed by a meeting with someone from financial aid. Somewhere in there he said thered be a tour too, though I'm not quite sure what we'd tour. I'm sure all this info will be in the email before we arrive, so if I've missed anything someone please correct me. good luck ya'll

is anybody apprehensive about going to a brand new school? One side of me doesn't want to be the guinea pig class and the other side thinks that they will try very hard for the first class

I'm not worried about it, the curriculum is going to be accredited, same as any other dental school, and the administration seems to be well experienced (reading the bio's on the ECU page).

The biggest disadvantage I would see with being the 1st class is that there isn't any upperclassmen to ask for advice/help.

Somewhere in there he said thered be a tour too, though I'm not quite sure what we'd tour.

lol, nothing like a bunch of excited interviewees to kick the construction crew into high gear!

Like anything that grows, you're going to have growing pains. I think it's a great and an exciting experience to be the first class and to leave a mark on the school. The faculty will do everything in their power to ensure the first couple of classes succeed in the classroom, the boards, and after graduation. They have a very well qualified administration in place. I may be a little biased considering I'm a very pround alumnus. I still remember reading an article in the school paper when I was a freshman in the fall of '02 about the idea and how it was shut down originally. Thankfully, ECU still pursued the idea four years later, and I hope I'm fortunate enough to be in the first class. I think it'll be an exciting time to be a part of it all.

Like anything that grows, you're going to have growing pains. I think it's a great and an exciting experience to be the first class and to leave a mark on the school. The faculty will do everything in their power to ensure the first couple of classes succeed in the classroom, the boards, and after graduation. They have a very well qualified administration in place. I may be a little biased considering I'm a very pround alumnus. I still remember reading an article in the school paper when I was a freshman in the fall of '02 about the idea and how it was shut down originally. Thankfully, ECU still pursued the idea four years later, and I hope I'm fortunate enough to be in the first class. I think it'll be an exciting time to be a part of it all.

Totally agree, although I'm not an alumus. Did you stick around Greenville following graduation? I was also a freshman in '02, I wonder how many other old people applied...lol

Totally agree, although I'm not an alumus. Did you stick around Greenville following graduation? I was also a freshman in '02, I wonder how many other old people applied...lol

I went home (west of I95) after graduation and worked for a year, then returned to grad school at ECU for a couple of years. For a few reasons, I transferred and I'm currently finishing grad school at NCSU, while working in pharma. If you don't mind me asking, where did you conduct your research? (and) were you a freshman at ECU in '02 as well?

I went home (west of I95) after graduation and worked for a year, then returned to grad school at ECU for a couple of years. For a few reasons, I transferred and I'm currently finishing grad school at NCSU, while working in pharma. If you don't mind me asking, where did you conduct your research? (and) were you a freshman at ECU in '02 as well?

So I did my Master's work in Pennsylvania (small mid-size state school) then moved to NC in the summer of '08 and have worked at Duke in research since then. I did my undergrad work up north as well, though ECU looks like it would have been an awesome school to attend.

Just noticed that ECU posted a picture of some of the admissions committee on the facebook page for ECU dental school.

It would be much appreciated by me (and all, I assume) if those lucky ppl who interview tomorrow and Wed post some information about their thoughts and experiences on the interview day.:thumbup:

Good luck today! Please let us know how the interview went and what can help us prepare!

Anyone know anything about this group learning activity? Sounds a bit unusual from what I've read on other schools. Most schools do a tour/lunch/presentation/interview. Havnt heard about a group learning activity.

Thanks

Anyone know anything about this group learning activity? Sounds a bit unusual from what I've read on other schools. Most schools do a tour/lunch/presentation/interview. Havnt heard about a group learning activity.

Thanks

I haven't heard anything about this, did you talk with someone that had an interview?

Group learning activity....:confused:

I haven't heard anything about this, did you talk with someone that had an interview?

Group learning activity....:confused:

Is it supposed to be a team building exercise or a way to see how we work with others?

yeah, it was in the information email they send out about 2 weeks before your interview with hotel info and such.

Once you check in, Chris will direct you to the conference room where we will be meeting. Be prepared to have your picture taken shortly after your arrival. We will share information about the Doctor of Dental Medicine program, and provide an opportunity for you to ask questions. You will then have several individual interviews with members of the Admissions Committee, and will participate in a group learning activity. We will provide lunch, and you will tour the Health Sciences campus.

Interesting. Well, it would be great if someone who has interviewed there already could shed some light on the experience. I understand that 'divulging' information while interviews are being conducted could give later interviewees as slight leg up, but it would be great if someone could at least give some insight.

It doesn't strike me as something that should be dreaded 'a group learning activity' is something that everyone at this point in the process should be able to handle. (All I can think of are those games where you say a word that describes you and also is the first letter of your name:laugh:)