Editorial from former Editor-in-Chief of Physical Therapy Journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jesspt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick read regarding the mandate by the APTA for the entry level PT degree to move to the clinical doctorate level.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent article. Needs to be read by everyone, especially by those premed and med students who think our DPT degree is ridiculous

Members don't see this ad :)
Although this article is 12 years old (a few months shy of 13) it is still a good read.

Jesspt, I appreciate you're always posting news/articles!

As much as I would like to appreciate the DPT degree, I am not fully sold on it yet. The author claims that the MPT programs aren't able to handle the amount of material to allow a well-trained PT out into the workplace. However, the MPT programs I'm interested in contain a program syllabus that is near identical to a DPT program, minus 1-2 courses (differential diagnosis etc...). Many MPT programs are also 3 years. What is the drastic difference in the knowledge between a person with an MPT compared to DPT?
From the DPT's I've talked to, it DOES seem to be a "street credit" thing, which is deemed necessary to gain autonomy and direct access.
In my opinion, PTs, direct access or not, are fully qualified with a Master's degree. I see very little objectivity with the creation of the DPT degree in that many students are acquiring feelings of grandeur when fantasizing about being a "Dr. Smith."
It's funny right now because in the outpatient clinics you have the owner, who holds a BSPT or an MSPT, and then employee staff therapists who are "Dr." status.

Help me understand the absolute need for the DPT.

As much as I would like to appreciate the DPT degree, I am not fully sold on it yet. The author claims that the MPT programs aren't able to handle the amount of material to allow a well-trained PT out into the workplace. However, the MPT programs I'm interested in contain a program syllabus that is near identical to a DPT program, minus 1-2 courses (differential diagnosis etc...). Many MPT programs are also 3 years. What is the drastic difference in the knowledge between a person with an MPT compared to DPT?
From the DPT's I've talked to, it DOES seem to be a "street credit" thing, which is deemed necessary to gain autonomy and direct access.
In my opinion, PTs, direct access or not, are fully qualified with a Master's degree. I see very little objectivity with the creation of the DPT degree in that many students are acquiring feelings of grandeur when fantasizing about being a "Dr. Smith."
It's funny right now because in the outpatient clinics you have the owner, who holds a BSPT or an MSPT, and then employee staff therapists who are "Dr." status.

Help me understand the absolute need for the DPT.

The point of Rothstein's edictorial is not to say that the PT schools have implimented it correctely. Rather, he points out errors that were made while we restuctured our profession's degree requirements earlier on in our history. He lays out a cogent argument for why the degree is needed, and it it not to inflate our own egos. Rather, the kind of service and performance that is demanded from a true health care profession merits a change in the amount of information presented as well as a change in the format with which it is presented.

You are correct in your statement regarding similar curriculum between many doctoral and master's programs. Remember, this editorial was written long before many programs transitioned to the doctoral level. It was not written in defense of how many programs today have implimented the DPT. It does, however, point out that the number of credits a typical MPT graduate acrues during their post-graduate work is often far in excess of other Master's level education for other professions, and in many cases is approaching the doctoral level in some cases.

You need to define "fully qualified." In my opinion many MPT and DPT students are not "fully qualified" upon graduation. How are you defining qualified?

And, the DPT is not necessary for direct access. It is legal in 44 states now to varying degrees. And, in many cases, direct access was granted prior to the initiation of doctoral level education for PTs.

My opinion: Is the DPT as Rothstein envisions it necessary? Absolutely. Have most PT schools implimented it as he envisioned? No way.

Jesspt,

As a practicing PT what is your opinion on the NATA’s Fair Practice Lawsuit Settlement. I just heard about it recently actually 2 months ago and began reading about it the settlement. What will this do to PT.

From what I've read so far, I think I can infer that one of the things that can happen is it may drive the salary for PTs down???? What do you think.

Disclaimer: not meant to say anything bad about ATCs!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Jesspt,

As a practicing PT what is your opinion on the NATA’s Fair Practice Lawsuit Settlement. I just heard about it recently actually 2 months ago and began reading about it the settlement. What will this do to PT.

From what I've read so far, I think I can infer that one of the things that can happen is it may drive the salary for PTs down???? What do you think.

Disclaimer: not meant to say anything bad about ATCs!!!!!!!!!!

I think it will probably impact PT minimally. I certainly haven't seen much impact since the settlement was reached.

The only way it will drive PT salaries down is if ATCs (who typically make a smaller salary than a PT) start taking up a considerably larger portion of the rehabilitation market share.

In many states, physical therapy is a protected term, meaning that physical therapy can only be provided by a licensed physical therapist or a PTA under the supervision of a licensed PT. That means an ATC (or a Chiropractor, Massage Therapist, Napropath, etc...) cannot provide physical therapy.