EDIVET: Do you have what it takes to be a veterinarian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That goes exactly with what I'm trying to say. You know she's being sarcastic because you know her, but I don't so I found the comment rude and as being directed at me personally, which led to my overly-defensive response. In the same way, she doesn't know me and assumed that I was using up all my free time to study for vet school ahead of time. I apologized and you come in assuming that I'm not really apologizing.

I guess assuming does make an ass out of us all.

Also, TT stated in a post it was sarcastic well before you made your rude comment back.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, TT stated in a post it was sarcastic well before you made your rude comment back.

I replied right after seeing the comment. I'll go ahead and pull out of what just seems to be an unnecessary discussion about whether or not I apologized sincerely. If there's any further issue with my comment, I'm sure @twelvetigers and I can handle it over messages.

Mah gunness.

It was an 'ugh' like 'yuck' for the curious.

And it's fine - I haven't been around as much recently, so I should remember that I can't be as much of a smart ass and get away with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you guys are misinterpreting my post. I have no plans on obsessing over vet med courses until vet school. Like I mentioned above, I also like to play music and still have a job on top of my volunteering work with my orchestra. How is taking a few super short introductory courses on something I've never learned about considered doing everything vet med related. Heck, I even stopped working as a vet tech to enjoy my last season with the orchestra before I have to move. You're interpreting my need to keep busy with what you say is an obsession for "doing everything vet med."

Let's withhold assuming and judging others over text-based communication before we have a chance to know what the other person is trying to say.

So.... Other people have to "withhold assuming and judging others" but that doesn't apply to you? How hypocritical.

Alright, alright

If the guy wants to study things for fun, he can study things for fun.

Maybe he won't end up as jaded as the rest of us. I mean, hopefully he doesn't. It's not ideal.

As long as it isn't grumpy cat I deem your offering acceptable.

grumpy-cat-hates-you-no-matter-what_o_969550.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I can see how this can be true for you. However, I can be (and am) 100% sincere in apologizing for my defending myself in a rude way and still be able to realize that I was being judged unfairly. We'll just have to disagree on that one for now.
I like your snarky comments, but you are wrong on this one.
An apology with a but is an invitation to continue the argument, an unwillingness to let it die.
Take if from someone with years of experience of marriage, and even more years of arguing.
Your failure to recognize that is just denial.

If you want to end the argument with an apology you HAVE to keep the but silent and just say it in your head (and even then, it probably will sneak into your tone).

Members don't see this ad :)
I said that because that particular nutrition course is insanely boring. Even people I know that love nutrition hated every second of that course. I'm not saying it is bad you are interested in nutrition, good for you, but it still remains that course is really boring.
Well how am I supposed to know your class is boring? Lol.
Such a condescending, rude response to what was a sarcastic comment that wasn't in any way rude to you at all.
To be completely honest, those who are currently in vet school on this board tend to immediately shoot down a pre-vets desire to do veterinary related things prior to vet school. There are a variety of reasons that you all seem to do that, and some were spelled out in this thread.

Based on past reactions to similar posts by pre-vet students, it was hard NOT to assume that TT was eye-rolling at Felixor and posting that in a judgmental way. I find it difficult to suggest someone "assume positive intent," particularly on this board. You can say something that you feel is completely neutral, and log on the next morning to have your a** being chewed out and every last word being ripped apart. It's happened to me, and I've watched it happen to other posters (I usually break the popcorn out). Sure, some 'misspoken' words leads to people reading things the wrong way and getting pissed, but that's just another reason why the internet is an imperfect way to communicate.

TT meant no harm by the post, but it was clearly received the wrong way, especially when "I'm sure you're a wondering person and all" is included. I apologize for stoking the fire, as I read it as "Lol, silly pre-vet. How little you know since I got into veterinary school before you."

We don't immediately shoot things down. But when prevets talk about taking anatomy and how much of a leg up they will get...well it's naive. We are sharing our experience with you. Enjoy the Field, but remember your whole life doesn't have to be vet med every second. What if you never get into vet school? What if an accident made it so you could never be the kind of vet you wanted to be?

I said assume positive intent because most people don't deliberately go out to hurt other people. If you think someone is being unfairly harsh, please report it. I find that some of the time that people think they are being attacked it's really not nearly as harsh as they think. I think if most people tried to put themselves in the other persons place, we'd be better off.

Hi, my name is Cephal0pod, I'm a pre-vet and I appreciate what all you current vet students and vets have to say. Heaven knows I've learned a ton from ya'll in my years of creeping/occasional posting. Seriously. :thumbup:

I also appreciate occasionally being told to chill the potato out about life/future vet med goals. Sometimes the pressure of making oneself the best candidate one could possibly be for vet school goes to my head, and I start doing things like stressing over what residency I might want to do when I haven't even applied to vet school yet. I'm sure quite a few of my current pre-vet compadres can relate to this. I've been learning lately that it's okay to dream, it's okay to be passionate, it's okay to be driven, but it's not okay to lose your mind and let vet med dreams possess every thought and waking moment of your life. Breathe, look around a little bit-- vet med is a great thing, but it's not everything. Please note-- I'm still working on this... talking to myself just as much as anybody else, here.

It's also not okay to be disrespectful to potential future colleagues. :( They are taking time out of their day to offer words of wisdom to strangers on the internet-- it is good to appreciate that fact alone, even if you disagree with what is being said. :thumbup:

I will now close with the following gif as an olive branch and token of my appreciation, and because I am a strong believer in smiling:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29323-1369940299-3.gif

Reactions: 11 users
I said assume positive intent because most people don't deliberately go out to hurt other people.
This.

I mean, if you look at TT's original post, you can choose to read it as her being judgmental, or you can choose to read it in the tongue-in-cheek way that it was intended. People poke fun at each other a lot around here, it's part of what makes it so entertaining. So if you approach reading posts with the thought that most people aren't going to have malicious intent, and not everything should be taken seriously, I think you'll find yourself at the correct interpretation a lot more often than if you read everything like it was said with a straight face and meant to be taken at face value.

Just imagine if people took all of my posts seriously...

Maybe because I said so? A few times. I don't care if you take it, I'm just joking around with my posts which you will laugh at and understand when you take the course. The posts were never intended to be rude they were said in a joking matter, as an "lol, tell me what you think of sugar beets once you are finished with the course." Instead you instantly assume a negative intent instead of just reading the post with a sarcastic/joking tone.

pinkpuppy said:
be completely honest, those who are currently in vet school on this board tend to immediately shoot down a pre-vets desire to do veterinary related things prior to vet school. There are a variety of reasons that you all seem to do that, and some were spelled out in this thread.

No, we don't. You want to do something vet related go for it. We do roll our eyes and strongly encourage those that insist on STUDYING things they will learn in vet school beforehand not to. There is a massive difference in doing something vet related and studying vet material you will get once in vet school. You might not realize that now but should you get into vet school you will get it.

pinkpuppy said:
Based on past reactions to similar posts by pre-vet students, it was hard NOT to assume that TT was eye-rolling at Felixor and posting that in a judgmental way. I find it difficult to suggest someone "assume positive intent," particularly on this board. You can say something that you feel is completely neutral, and log on the next morning to have your a** being chewed out and every last word being ripped apart. It's happened to me, and I've watched it happen to other posters (I usually break the popcorn out). Sure, some 'misspoken' words leads to people reading things the wrong way and getting pissed, but that's just another reason why the internet is an imperfect way to communicate.

No, you can definitely roll eyes at what someone says and not be judging them as a person. Kind of like TT said, "I'm sure you're a wonderful person, but this study vet things before vet school, gross." It is hard to understand now, but you'll see why the vet students have this reaction once you do get here. I do agree that the internet isn't the best place for communication but if it is any of the usual veterans and you think, "that was mean", I can 100% guarantee it was said tongue in cheek. This forum is actually the nicest out of all of them and the only person I've seen " chewed out" in this forum was brodiatrtist (seriously, do a search on that name for this forum, you'll laugh).

pinkpuppy said:
TT meant no harm by the post, but it was clearly received the wrong way, especially when "I'm sure you're a wondering person and all" is included. I apologize for stoking the fire, as I read it as "Lol, silly pre-vet. How little you know since I got into veterinary school before you."

Yes, TT meant no harm by the post which was very obvious by many. You were first to take " offense" and then TT clarified. At the point Felixor responded she had already clarified it was sarcasm, so his rude remark was unwarranted, had he taken the time to actually pay attention and read a couple posts down. She communicated her intent fine, he failed to further pay attention. And if you are really reading anything on here as "haha, silly prevet, blah, blah, blah" then you need to adjust how you are reading things. We don't spend hours of our time to be like that. We've been in your position before and all we are doing is imparting our gained knowledge on to future pre vets ( and often in joking manner because life is more fun that way.)

Overall, it is like dyachei said, don't assume negative intent. Just don't. I don't know anyone here who would be rude intentionally (except @nyanko ), and I've known these doofuses for years, they are good peoples (even nyanko), promise.

Last edited:

To be completely honest, those who are currently in vet school on this board tend to immediately shoot down a pre-vets desire to do veterinary related things prior to vet school. There are a variety of reasons that you all seem to do that, and some were spelled out in this thread.

I don't care if you (in the generic sense) are pre-vet, post-vet, or never vet, you need to grow a pair if you are going to participate in an internet forum.

There are going to be disagreements and misunderstandings, but anyone who is being offended by a lot of what is posted here is way too sensitive. This is one of the more respectful and understanding group of posters I see, and I have watched a number of pre-vets become post vets and new pre-vets constantly show up and things continue just fine.

if you find everyone around you being mean, maybe the problem isn't everyone around you, maybe the problem is you.

Last edited:
What the frack is even going on in here.

Some people need to remove the floss from their buttcheeks and get over the fact that in real life, you will be judged. People will be rude. Not that TT even was in this case, this is a case of an overly-sensitive go-getter post (whose post of interest was eye-rollingly stupid to begin with in the absence of his later clarification - you've been "dying of boredom' because you "have nothing to study?" Seriously?) and a small cadre of people acted like reactive ninnies after said eye-rolling occurred. God ****ing forbid. Lol. Now, can we move forward please?

Fot the course, my take is that as long as it's free, I see no problem with it. Although the certificate or whatever they give at the end means absolutely nothing in terms of admissions. Sure, it can't be in depth in terms of the subject matter.

I'd like to see a section on the other non-clinical-related parts of veterinary medicine - compassion fatigue, burnout, debt, etc whcih are very important problems in the field today that people should become knowledgeable about as quickly as possible. But of course, I doubt that will ever be talked about in courses such as those - they are trying to get people INTO the field so the schools can make more ka-ching :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Last comment: If I'm the one who "needs to grow a pair" and acting like a "reactive ninny," why are you all so offended as well? Even posters who weren't initially involved in the conversation got all worked up over this. Hm....

Final word: Again, THE INTERNET IS AN IMPERFECT METHOD OF COMMUNICATION. Your posts will be misread. Your texts will be misread. Your emails to colleagues will be misread. Now move on, everyone. Show's over.

Last comment: If I'm the one who "needs to grow a pair" and acting like a "reactive ninny," why are you all so offended as well? Even posters who weren't initially involved in the conversation got all worked up over this. Hm....

Final word: Again, THE INTERNET IS AN IMPERFECT METHOD OF COMMUNICATION. Your posts will be misread. Your texts will be misread. Your emails to colleagues will be misread. Now move on, everyone. Show's over.

:laugh:

You do realize if this place bothers you that you don't have to stay? Nobody was offended but you and Felix, the rest of us were telling you two to get over it. Nobody here is intentionally mean and nobody else was offended. Just offering advice. And yes emails will be read incorrectly, but most adult professional people don't fly off the handle and act like the two of you when they get an email from a colleague. I'd love to see you act like this in vet school when a professor is outright mean for no reason but to be mean. Grow some thicker skin, or learn to read things on here as sarcasm. If you can't take the advice, then move along, no one is forcing you to stay.

:laugh:

You do realize if this place bothers you that you don't have to stay? Nobody was offended but you and Felix, the rest of us were telling you two to get over it. Nobody here is intentionally mean and nobody else was offended. Just offering advice. And yes emails will be read incorrectly, but most adult professional people don't fly off the handle and act like the two of you when they get an email from a colleague. I'd love to see you act like this in vet school when a professor is outright mean for no reason but to be mean. Grow some thicker skin, or learn to read things on here as sarcasm. If you can't take the advice, then move along, no one is forcing you to stay.
So, here's the thing. Saying that I didn't think TT was being fair is CERTAINLY not flying off the handle . You are seriously exaggerating try and get a point across, that point being that you want me to feel like I am in the wrong. I wasn't even offended, yet you have labeled me as such. I even apologized for calling someone out because it clearly deeply affected some of you (yet I'm the one who is "offended," apparently). You are assuming things about me just as much as I assumed the post in question to be a bit rude.

I have a right to confront someone if they say something that I personally think did not need to be said. I intend to continue this through veterinary school, as I feel it is of good ethical and moral compass. It is up to the person who said the comment to clarify his/her intent. It was clarified by the poster as well as everyone else who wanted to weigh in. I let you guys know how you all come off when you chase after someone with pitchforks (and I'm not referring to myself here), and it pissed you off. Get over it, grow a pair, stop being a ninny, etc. No one is forcing you to continue this conversation, just as much as I am "not being forced to stay."

Another note for you to consider: I cannot speak for the other followers of this board, but I certainly do not follow your individual posts across all the threads, and I do not care to. I do not know your personality, I do not know you personally. How the heck am I supposed to know that somewhere at some point in the past, you mentioned that you found your nutrition class boring, @DVMDream? The fact that you expect me to know that you have previously stated you dislike a class at some point in the past and get snarky because I said I wasn't aware of your dislike is absurd.

I don't think it is necessary to continue battling each other over something that was so trivial and blown into another petty argument.

Edit: I am also disappointed that I cannot seem to find anything on brodiatrtist...

So, here's the thing. Saying that I didn't think TT was being fair is CERTAINLY not flying off the handle . You are seriously exaggerating try and get a point across, that point being that you want me to feel like I am in the wrong. I wasn't even offended, yet you have labeled me as such. I even apologized for calling someone out because it clearly deeply affected some of you (yet I'm the one who is "offended," apparently). You are assuming things about me just as much as I assumed the post in question to be a bit rude.

If you weren't offended by the comment why say something to TT in the first place? Serious question. Then you get mad at us when we try to say, "hey she was being sarcastic." And you posting in all caps and dictating that your post is the final post is very close to, if not, flying off the handle. If you don't see that, fine, but it really isn't important.

pinkpuppy said:
I have a right to confront someone if they say something that I personally think did not need to be said. I intend to continue this through veterinary school, as I feel it is of good ethical and moral compass. It is up to the person who said the comment to clarify his/her intent. It was clarified by the poster as well as everyone else who wanted to weigh in. I let you guys know how you all come off when you chase after someone with pitchforks (and I'm not referring to myself here), and it pissed you off. Get over it, grow a pair, stop being a ninny, etc. No one is forcing you to continue this conversation, just as much as I am "not being forced to stay."

I used to think this too, but it is wrong, especially on this forum. If you get an email that seems rude the best course of action is to be professional, let it slide and respond. The vast majority of the time people aren't being rude. The same thing goes on this forum, read things as sarcasm, you've been here how long? Come on, you know we are a really sarcastic bunch. Start reading things as sarcasm, relax a little and have some fun. It seems you have to be serious all the time, just loosen up. You'll see that you'll have more fun and actually get to know people here better. It is ok to be sarcastic and join in on the fun. Also, you don't have to agree now, you may roll your eyes now, but do not tell a clinician or professor they are being rude or a comment they said was uncalled for, don't do it. They have no burden to clarify anything and if you say anything like you did above to them, it isn't going to be pretty.

pinkpuppy said:
Another note for you to consider: I cannot speak for the other followers of this board, but I certainly do not follow your individual posts across all the threads, and I do not care to. I do not know your personality, I do not know you personally. How the heck am I supposed to know that somewhere at some point in the past, you mentioned that you found your nutrition class boring, @DVMDream? The fact that you expect me to know that you have previously stated you dislike a class at some point in the past and get snarky because I said I wasn't aware of your dislike is absurd.

I didn't get snarky until you carried on about how rude I am to joke around about telling you what I think about certain parts of the course. It started as a joke and you kept getting mad about it. Just stop. I promise to not joke with you again, though still tell me your feeling on sugar beets after, ok? I promise it is funny. It really is funny.

pinkpuppy said:
I don't think it is necessary to continue battling each other over something that was so trivial and blown into another petty argument.

Edit: I am also disappointed that I cannot seem to find anything on brodiatrtist...

I agree, but seriously try to take our advice. Read more things as sarcasm, it is ok to not be serious and to say things tongue in cheek. We aren't saying this to be mean, but as someone said if you seem to have issue with multiple people perhaps the issue is you. Again, I'm not repeating it to be mean but you've been here for over a year and I'd like to see you have fun, which can be possible if you just let things slide and read as sarcasm. You know we are a very joking bunch, it is a way to relax and release stress, we have fun. I think you'd be able to have more fun if you'd join in rather than being at odds with everyone.

I'll try to link some brodiastrist for you to read.

@brodiatrtist
If you weren't offended by the comment why say something to TT in the first place? Serious question. Then you get mad at us when we try to say, "hey she was being sarcastic." And you posting in all caps and dictating that your post is the final post is very close to, if not, flying off the handle. If you don't see that, fine, but it really isn't important.
I can think something is unnecessary without being offended. I can hear a little girl mouth off to her mom in the store, not take personal offense to the little girl's comments, but still think her comments were unnecessary. I use caps for emphasis. If I were flying off the handle, expletives would most likely be used. Perhaps italics or bolding would be more clear, since my capitalizations were assumed to be out of rage.

I used to think this too, but it is wrong, especially on this forum. If you get an email that seems rude the best course of action is to be professional, let it slide and respond. The vast majority of the time people aren't being rude. The same thing goes on this forum, read things as sarcasm, you've been here how long? Come on, you know we are a really sarcastic bunch. Start reading things as sarcasm, relax a little and have some fun. It seems you have to be serious all the time, just loosen up. You'll see that you'll have more fun and actually get to know people here better. It is ok to be sarcastic and join in on the fun. Also, you don't have to agree now, you may roll your eyes now, but do not tell a clinician or professor they are being rude or a comment they said was uncalled for, don't do it. They have no burden to clarify anything and if you say anything like you did above to them, it isn't going to be pretty
I've been here a little over a year, and am not that active on here for you to feel that comfortable making statements about my personality. It could be that I tend to participate most on the threads that require someone giving a poster a stronger response that just fun conversation.

I didn't get snarky until you carried on about how rude I am to joke around about telling you what I think about certain parts of the course. It started as a joke and you kept getting mad about it. Just stop. I promise to not joke with you again, though still tell me your feeling on sugar beets after, ok? I promise it is funny. It really is funny.
See it from my point of view: You just professed that you are really excited to take a nutrition course, and someone tells you "I'm very very sorry. Let me know when you gouge your eyes out and your brain has fallen out your ears. Also tell me how you feel about sugar beet once the course ends." :eyebrow: Of course, you're going to say you meant is as a sarcastic comment. However, I equate your response with someone telling a child "I'm sorry that you really love math. But talk to me after you're done with high school." I am not as impressionable or immature as a child, but hopefully you see how unnecessary your comment was. Whether you hate sugar beets or not.

I agree, but seriously try to take our advice. Read more things as sarcasm, it is ok to not be serious and to say things tongue in cheek. We aren't saying this to be mean, but as someone said if you seem to have issue with multiple people perhaps the issue is you. Again, I'm not repeating it to be mean but you've been here for over a year and I'd like to see you have fun, which can be possible if you just let things slide and read as sarcasm. You know we are a very joking bunch, it is a way to relax and release stress, we have fun. I think you'd be able to have more fun if you'd join in rather than being at odds with everyone.
Soooooo I don't actually take issue with anyone. I never said that I did. However it seems to be a fairly frequent thing that I see someone asking a question, making a statement, or whatever, and getting ripped apart for it. I rarely jump in because, frankly, I don't want to deal with you guys. The bickering goes on for days and it completely derails the thread. I chose to simply say "It's not fair to pass judgement" because I felt that it was the most neutral way to say "Why are you making comments on someones excitement to do something you disagree with?" The nature of the comment and the reasoning behind the fact that it was posted, and the justification made for the post, is really the only thing that I refuse to let go by without me at least calling someone out on it.

If you really think I'm at odds with everyone, I'd like to have a private conversation with you and have you show me these argumentative posts I must be making in my sleep.

@brodiatrtist

I can think something is unnecessary without being offended. I can hear a little girl mouth off to her mom in the store, not take personal offense to the little girl's comments, but still think her comments were unnecessary. I use caps for emphasis. If I were flying off the handle, expletives would most likely be used. Perhaps italics or bolding would be more clear, since my capitalizations were assumed to be out of rage.

I've been here a little over a year, and am not that active on here for you to feel that comfortable making statements about my personality. It could be that I tend to participate most on the threads that require someone giving a poster a stronger response that just fun conversation.

See it from my point of view: You just professed that you are really excited to take a nutrition course, and someone tells you "I'm very very sorry. Let me know when you gouge your eyes out and your brain has fallen out your ears. Also tell me how you feel about sugar beet once the course ends." :eyebrow: Of course, you're going to say you meant is as a sarcastic comment. However, I equate your response with someone telling a child "I'm sorry that you really love math. But talk to me after you're done with high school." I am not as impressionable or immature as a child, but hopefully you see how unnecessary your comment was. Whether you hate sugar beets or not.

Soooooo I don't actually take issue with anyone. I never said that I did. However it seems to be a fairly frequent thing that I see someone asking a question, making a statement, or whatever, and getting ripped apart for it. I rarely jump in because, frankly, I don't want to deal with you guys. The bickering goes on for days and it completely derails the thread. I chose to simply say "It's not fair to pass judgement" because I felt that it was the most neutral way to say "Why are you making comments on someones excitement to do something you disagree with?" The nature of the comment and the reasoning behind the fact that it was posted, and the justification made for the post, is really the only thing that I refuse to let go by without me at least calling someone out on it.

If you really think I'm at odds with everyone, I'd like to have a private conversation with you and have you show me these argumentative posts I must be making in my sleep.

Nevermind, you still aren't getting the point and it is clear that you won't, so I'm done

As one who has stalked this thread, I vote more posts about potatoes. :D

I had cheese fries the other day. with a spicy ranch dipping sauce and chunks of thick maple bacon. so good. and filling

I have a right to confront someone if they say something that I personally think did not need to be said. I intend to continue this through veterinary school, as I feel it is of good ethical and moral compass.

Just a word of advice, completely unrelated to this particular brouhaha.

I would be very, very, very cautious about the above-quoted attitude.

Yes, we have an obligation to point out errors and unethical behavior. That's for the good of our patients, our clients, and our industry. But you personally are not the be all and end all of deciding what's appropriate, and your *personal* opinion about what someone *else* says is really not very relevant. You should exercise a VERY high degree of professional courtesy and restraint when choosing to call out a colleague on something where you almost never have all the information.

That whole bit about the "good ethical and moral compass" is absolute hogwash: Good ethics and a moral compass apply to how YOU behave; not to how you judge a colleague's behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users