educational days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acleverpsychpun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as one who isn't a big fan of conferences, does anyone have any creative recommendations for how to use educational days...or know of conferences in places that might make for a good vacation? My program gives us four a year and it seems a shame to waste them.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't AADPRT only for program directors? Highly recommend ASAM even if you aren't interested in addiction. The best minds in ALL of Addiction Medicine (not just addiction psychiatry) attend, and you can really interact with some of the most important thinkers on key issues such as MJ legalization, the opioid addiction crisis, the obesity epidemic vis-a-vis food addiction. Also, they have instructive courses on how to use the ASAM Criteria when evaluating patients with substance disorders, which is incredibly useful but not taught in psychiatry residency.

Isn't AADPRT only for program directors? Highly recommend ASAM even if you aren't interested in addiction. The best minds in ALL of Addiction Medicine (not just addiction psychiatry) attend, and you can really interact with some of the most important thinkers on key issues such as MJ legalization, the opioid addiction crisis, the obesity epidemic vis-a-vis food addiction. Also, they have instructive courses on how to use the ASAM Criteria when evaluating patients with substance disorders, which is incredibly useful but not taught in psychiatry residency.
Non-PDs (even splik! ;)) are welcome at AADPRT, and there is also a separate track for Coordinators.
A good time will be had be all...

For more a general psychiatric education-themed conference, however, without all of the administrative bull..., er, um...details--I'd recommend Academic Psychiatry in the fall. (Puerto Rico this year--woo hoo!) Or ADMSEP in the summer (med student focus).

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on going to Cape Cod again this summer to spend a week at a Marsha Linehan conference. Done every day at noon and spend the rest of the day enjoying the vacation.

Reactions: 1 users