Educational Fund - What to spend it on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charmiedermie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you spend your educational fund/allowance from internship on that is helpful for Derm? I have to turn in the form soon with receipts or the money disappears. My program will already gives us required books - Bolognia, Wolverton, Andrews, dermlite, white coat, id, pager. I now have about $300 left, since rest went towards Step 3. What else is helpful to buy for residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are pretty well set. A few additional books that I like:

Lebwohl's Treatment of Skin Diseases - a great reference for patients that have exhausted first and second line treatments

Elston's Dermpath book.

Jain's board review book.

I tried to put in Amazon links to the above but they changed to an advertisement looking thing that didn't work. So just look in Amazon, they are all there.

ASDS Primer in Derm Surg (cheaper as an ASDS member / dermatology resident). Electronic version is free as a resident:
https://www.asds.net/store/product.aspx?id=3914

some ideas:
1. digital camera for taking pics of stuff you want to write up = $200-600
2. 365nm LED flashlight (pocket woods lamp) = $50
3. surgical loupes if youre thinking Mohs in the future = couple hundred
4. iPad mini
5. VisualDx/UpToDate if you dont have them

Members don't see this ad :)

Lebwohl's Treatment of Skin Diseases - a great reference for patients that have exhausted first and second line treatments

Elston's Dermpath book.

I tried to put in Amazon links to the above but they changed to an advertisement looking thing that didn't work. So just look in Amazon, they are all there.

ASDS Primer in Derm Surg (cheaper as an ASDS member / dermatology resident). Electronic version is free as a resident:

some ideas:
1. digital camera for taking pics of stuff you want to write up = $200-600
2. 365nm LED flashlight (pocket woods lamp) = $50
3. surgical loupes if youre thinking Mohs in the future = couple hundred
4. iPad mini
5. VisualDx/UpToDate if you dont have them
Thank you both for your help for the great finds!!! Is a digital camera fine or is it better to get a camera with a fixed lens? Is it common at the resident level for derm residents to do board review courses? I don't know if there are any left anymore. I did one for Step 1 with Kaplan, but my school was just that bad in boards prep.

4 more days of internship left...:yuck:

Elston's Dermpath book.

I agree with these excellent recommendations. The only other book I'll recommend is the soon-to-be-released (I've heard it will be released in October or November) "Review of Dermatology". It was put together by a bunch of people I knew from training and I've had the chance to help edit some sections. You should find it to be much more up to date and thorough than Jain's review book, especially in Dermpath, surgery and general dermatology, where Jain tends to be fairly skimpy on anything other than the introductory/basic details.

I agree with these excellent recommendations. The only other book I'll recommend is the soon-to-be-released (I've heard it will be released in October or November) "Review of Dermatology". It was put together by a bunch of people I knew from training and I've had the chance to help edit some sections. You should find it to be much more up to date and thorough than Jain's review book, especially in Dermpath, surgery and general dermatology, where Jain tends to be fairly skimpy on anything other than the introductory/basic details.

Who are the authors of the book? I'll keep an eye out for it. Also, do you by any chance have the errata for Jain or do you happen to know where it can be found? Thanks so much!