Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mailed my check and acceptance off today. Kind of exciting!

I do have one other med school interview at SOMA, but it's not until February 2015. God is in control.

I interviewed at SOMA the first week of October. I have denied my acceptance there in favor of Auburn-both seem like great schools though!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I saw your vehicle today. Definitely not inconspicuous!
I would ride the shuttle if at all possible. Everyone seems to talk and ask questions as we tour. Might miss out on some good interaction. But if you really can't I'm sure they'd understand, given your situation.
I just got done with my interview day and I feel really good about it. The presentation definitely quieted any reservation I had about problems stemming from VCOM Auburn being a new school. More like a new campus than a new school. The lunch was catered by Amsterdam Cafe and it was delicious. Pray that you get the same thing!

Anyway, good luck on your interview and final tomorrow!
My interview is tomorrow morning, so ... genius here decides to do a practice run of getting to the Kinesiology building, parking etc. I showed up at 9:15AM, thinking everyone would be in the intro session until 9:30AM. Well, what do you know? Mrs. Oliver and 6ish applicants literally cross the parking lot 30 feet in front of me. And my vehicle isn't exactly anonymous (right, Veebs?). I felt so busted! Six-point turn in a two lane entrance, and then off to find cover for 5 minutes. I figure all is clear and I then I drive to the Athletic Department for a 10:00AM meeting. Guess what? The group is again crossing a parking lot in front of me, probably to look at the NC trophy and such in the Athletic Department. I park in the structure and then have to walk the length of the parking lot--passing floor-to-ceiling windows--to get to my entrance. File that under "awkward!" Just thought I would share for a good laugh. :)

So here's a question for all of you. My parking pass permits me to park in the lot directly in front of the building. Do I park there and wait for the group to arrive (much easier for me), or should I park with the rest of the candidates and take the shuttle to the building? I have a final that I have to run to after the interview session, so it might be good to be on my own power/schedule. But, I don't want to unnecessarily call attention to myself, and ... IDK ... I don't want to breach any protocol.

Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 user
So I got my 11/7 retake scores back today..... MUCH better

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do tell --how did you do?

rechecked my score this morning. still a 10/10/10.. i can't believe it lol.

i improved my percentile from ~39.85 to ~75.40!!! (averaging the percentile range they give us for the composite score)

my most improved section in regards to points was a +3 points since last time on PS.
my most improved section in regards to percentile (averaged again) was a 40.95 percentile increase in PS

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Today's interviews went well. There were six of us from different parts of the country. Three men, three women, three from Alabama, one from Missouri, one from Texas, and one from California. I actually knew one of them from Auburn (if you're reading this, you rock ... and I really hope to see you in the fall). It was a diverse group of what seemed like really great down-to-Earth candidates. As I surveyed the room, I thought, "It must be so difficult to choose between candidates." I don't envy those who have to split such hairs.

This was already my #1 school going in due to location, logistics, and the congruence between VCOM's mission(s) and my own. However, the staff and presentation really impressed me, and VCOM-Auburn would be in my top 3 even if I lived on either coast. Why? First of all, Auburn rocks, and this little village on the plains is one of the best-kept secrets in the south east. This is the kind of place to set your roots, raise a family, and so on. The people are awesome, the cost of living is low, and big city amenities are a one hour scenic drive away (the difference between a 1-hour LA commute and a 1-hour Alabama commute is probably worth about 20 torr systolic). As for the school itself, this will not be a fledgling branch campus. This will be a bold, state-of-the-art school, integrated with the Auburn community, backed by a proven curriculum that historically yields insanely great COMLEX and residency match stats. In my opinion Auburn will be the premier VCOM campus within a very short time. Heck, I'll go as far as to say it will be one of the premier osteopathic schools in the nation in very short order. Further, the community buy-in is REAL, and the inaugural class has a huge opportunity to found community outreach programs. I am not repeating VCOM-Auburn talking points; I am relating what I've heard from Auburn students, professors, my neighbors, local medical professionals, EAMC hospital staff, people on the streets, etc.

The presentation and follow-up discussions put to rest any questions I had about clinical rotations and so on. I was also really surprised--and impressed by--VCOM's commitment to research. Not just research in general, but the impetus to perform OSTEOPATHIC research! Some have questioned in other SDN threads how well integrated VCOM-Auburn will be with Auburn re: research. The answer: very well. I'm involved with research at Auburn University and also have contacts at the research park. I've heard the same thing from them as I have heard/seen from VCOM-Auburn: the partnership is real and growing. If research is important to you, then VCOM-Auburn should be toward the top of your list.

So ... as for my interviews ... I basically parrot the comments listed elsewhere. Don't bother preparing for the standard interview questions. Just know your application and be ready to speak to it. I spent an entire day during finals week sitting in a rigid chair in my suit, explaining to the mirror why I want to be a doctor, why an osteopath, why Auburn, why VCOM, etc. The only real benefits were further indoctrinating myself, and getting used to sitting in a suit all day. You already answered those standard questions in your PS, primary, and (gosh, hopefully) secondary. What they really want to do is fill in the blanks, better understand your past, and figure out if you're a good fit for their school. They even tell you this during the intro session.

I had Dr. Wit and Dr. Coffey as interviewers, and Dr. Hill talked to me briefly during lunch. Each had their own style of questioning and wanted to know different things. I struggled a bit with Dr. Hill's questions because I had a hard time hearing him over the background noise (it was lunch, not his fault). Yeah, I more or less bombed that one. The other two interviews went more smoothly. My highlight of the day? I walked away with an overwhelming feeling that the staff really cares about the school, its mission, the students and ... passing the torch to the next generation of osteopaths. Re-read that last part. Yes, passing the torch; I hope to be a bearer of such.

I hope that my perspective above and the stuff I have written elsewhere are of benefit. Now that my process is over, I won't spam this thread so much on a forward basis. Please PM me if you have any questions. I will post an update next week when I get my admission decision. Hoping for the best!

Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 10 users
Today's interviews went well. There were six of us from different parts of the country. Three men, three women, three from Alabama, one from Missouri, one from Texas, and one from California. I actually knew one of them from Auburn (if you're reading this, you rock ... and I really hope to see you in the fall). It was a diverse group of what seemed like really great down-to-Earth candidates. As I surveyed the room, I thought, "It must be so difficult to choose between candidates." I don't envy those who have to split such hairs.

This was already my #1 school going in due to location, logistics, and the congruence between VCOM's mission(s) and my own. However, the staff and presentation really impressed me, and VCOM-Auburn would be in my top 3 even if I lived on either coast. Why? First of all, Auburn rocks, and this little village on the plains is one of the best-kept secrets in the south east. This is the kind of place to set your roots, raise a family, and so on. The people are awesome, the cost of living is low, and big city amenities are a one hour scenic drive away (the difference between a 1-hour LA commute and a 1-hour Alabama commute is probably worth about 20 torr systolic). As for the school itself, this will not be a fledgling branch campus. This will be a bold, state-of-the-art school, integrated with the Auburn community, backed by a proven curriculum that historically yields insanely great COMLEX and residency match stats. In my opinion Auburn will be the premier VCOM campus within a very short time. Heck, I'll go as far as to say it will be one of the premier osteopathic schools in the nation in very short order. Further, the community buy-in is REAL, and the inaugural class has a huge opportunity to found community outreach programs. I am not repeating VCOM-Auburn talking points; I am relating what I've heard from Auburn students, professors, my neighbors, local medical professionals, EAMC hospital staff, people on the streets, etc.

The presentation and follow-up discussions put to rest any questions I had about clinical rotations and so on. I was also really surprised--and impressed by--VCOM's commitment to research. Not just research in general, but the impetus to perform OSTEOPATHIC research! Some have questioned in other SDN threads how well integrated VCOM-Auburn will be with Auburn re: research. The answer: very well. I'm involved with research at Auburn University and also have contacts at the research park. I've heard the same thing from them as I have heard/seen from VCOM-Auburn: the partnership is real and growing. If research is important to you, then VCOM-Auburn should be toward the top of your list.

So ... as for my interviews ... I basically parrot the comments listed elsewhere. Don't bother preparing for the standard interview questions. Just know your application and be ready to speak to it. I spent an entire day during finals week sitting in a rigid chair in my suit, explaining to the mirror why I want to be a doctor, why an osteopath, why Auburn, why VCOM, etc. The only real benefits were further indoctrinating myself, and getting used to sitting in a suit all day. You already answered those standard questions in your PS, primary, and (gosh, hopefully) secondary. What they really want to do is fill in the blanks, better understand your past, and figure out if you're a good fit for their school. They even tell you this during the intro session.

I had Dr. Wit and Dr. Coffey as interviewers, and Dr. Hill talked to me briefly during lunch. Each had their own style of questioning and wanted to know different things. I struggled a bit with Dr. Hill's questions because I had a hard time hearing him over the background noise (it was lunch, not his fault). Yeah, I more or less bombed that one. The other two interviews went more smoothly. My highlight of the day? I walked away with an overwhelming feeling that the staff really cares about the school, its mission, the students and ... passing the torch to the next generation of osteopaths. Re-read that last part. Yes, passing the torch; I hope to be a bearer of such.

I hope that my perspective above and the stuff I have written elsewhere are of benefit. Now that my process is over, I won't spam this thread so much on a forward basis. Please PM me if you have any questions. I will post an update next week when I get my admission decision. Hoping for the best!

Good luck to you all!

Felt very much the same way. Very happy to have received an acceptance here for the same reason s you have mentiined liking the school so much!

Reactions: 2 users

Good luck to you all!

This is why it would be a flaming shame if you didn't get in. I want people like this in my class. *high five* bro!

BTW ... the building just got crowned. The building is massive; quiet impressive. It rivals Lowder Hall.
2014-12-12 12.11.38-1.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Where do you guys recommend going for BLS certification? Does VCOM accept online class certifications?
AHA online is legit. You can do most lecture content online (I think) and pass an exam for the content. You will only be required to perform physical skills in person. You should be able to find a proctor locally through the AHA website. You might also check your local EMS or Fire department for a BLS provider course.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ why I want to go to a DO school. Preferably in the South. IMHO surrounding ourselves with quality people will enhance our education. Collaboration, not competition. VCOM-Auburn's inaugural class will be a special one.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Let's all give thanks for living in this wonderful nation, the sacrifices of our forefathers, the sacrifices of those protecting us thousands of miles from home, and for having the opportunity to even DREAM of attending medical school.

God bless.

Well said. I wholeheartedly agree - the COMLEX and/or STEP exams will provide plenty of competition for everyone. Nothing preventing all of us from doing great on those exams.

Phone calls should be going out sometime this week. Good luck to everyone who interviewed during the last 2 weeks!

Does anyone know if there is some sort of roommate matching program in place? I know Im still trying to scope out a few potential places to live.

Does anyone know if there is some sort of roommate matching program in place? I know Im still trying to scope out a few potential places to live.

not that I know of. probably best to just use the class page on facebook.

Haha right. At that time you weren't. LOL!

Well, way to support your future classmate!!!

JK, glad you guys could knock it out.

Haha right. At that time you weren't. LOL!

lol same, I got mine done last Thursday. best part about it is that my job will pay for it since I'm required to have it! every dollar saved helps when you're looking at hundreds of thousands of debt upcoming in the next few years lol

Cannot argue with that logic....Even though my wife and I both have full time jobs (military), we've already significantly cut back our budgets in preparation for Auburn. It's been awhile since I've been a poor college student!

ha, yeah definitely a good idea to start living like one now slowly in preparation.

I've been living very modestly since graduation in may and don't have many doubts at all about being able to live on a tight budget.

I've been paying off my credit cards and keeping expenses as low as possible. We definitely have to cinch it in, but thankfully my hubby will be working. :)

I noticed on the class of 2018 page (VCOM a website) there is information and forms for matching roommates. Might want to check there for info.

Good luck to the applicants today, I'm surprised no calls have gone out yet!

I was called at 9:46AM CST when I was accepted... not that I think it really matters. Just trying to build the anxiety of those who are waiting lol :p good luck, guys and gals.

I was called at 9:46AM CST when I was accepted... not that I think it really matters. Just trying to build the anxiety of those who are waiting lol :p good luck, guys and gals.

You are a terrible, terrible person. I've already gnawed my fingernails down to bloody nubs in anticipation! :nailbiting:

Luckily, Jasmine (or Ms. Oliver, whichever is more appropriate) said on interview day that she would try to call today if the committee finished in time, and if not, then tomorrow. Also, if for some reason they couldn't meet today, they would reschedule the committee meeting to Thursday. So we might be waiting until Friday to hear back! I don't think my poor heart can take the abuse :dead:

:thumbup:

Well, it's a Monday. Chances are they met late morning, broke for lunch, and are wrapping up discussions about right now. From what I've seen/heard/personally experienced, most of their calls happen in the late afternoon ... so it should be prime time about right now. I won't start freaking out until tomorrow afternoon.

In a random stroke of fate, my wife was invited to tour the Kinesiology building with her department head(s) this afternoon. It would be so strange if they all ran into each other LOL.

You are a terrible, terrible person. I've already gnawed my fingernails down to bloody nubs in anticipation! :nailbiting:

Luckily, Jasmine (or Ms. Oliver, whichever is more appropriate) said on interview day that she would try to call today if the committee finished in time, and if not, then tomorrow. Also, if for some reason they couldn't meet today, they would reschedule the committee meeting to Thursday. So we might be waiting until Friday to hear back! I don't think my poor heart can take the abuse :dead:
I got my call at around 6 so don't worry!!!!! What's meant to be will be

I know she likes to make all the calls on one day if possible, so if they finished in the afternoon pretty late, then they won't make the calls till tomorrow-don't get too worried!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know what the ratio of secondaries to interview invites is?

I know she likes to make all the calls on one day if possible, so if they finished in the afternoon pretty late, then they won't make the calls till tomorrow-don't get too worried!

What he said, times 10^23. Have faith. :)

Does anyone know what the ratio of secondaries to interview invites is?

Probably between 5 and 10 to 1, depending on campus.

Just having fun with you @Mjolner.

If you were invited to the interview they already liked you. As long as you weren't asocial and completely incompatible with the school and the practice of medicine you will be just fine! Sip some coffee, read a book and really just (in the words of Aaron Rodgers)...

R - E - L - A - X !

Hey guys has anyone gotten any interview invites after suiting secondaries in early December???

Hey guys has anyone gotten any interview invites after suiting secondaries in early December???

it's a pretty busy time for them considering they are into the holidays. if you haven't heard after the first few business days in January, I'd call. you really did yourself a disservice by applying this late.

it's a pretty busy time for them considering they are into the holidays. if you haven't heard after the first few business days in January, I'd call. you really did yourself a disservice by applying this late.
Thanks man. I should have submitted earlier. I am hopefully it turns out well.

Just got the call.... ACCEPTED!!!

All you other interviewees, be on the lookout. In case you don't already have it saved, it'll be a 334 area code. Best of luck!

Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone know about how the housing market is like in Auburn. As far as costs for a 1/1 or even student housing complexes?

Does anyone know about how the housing market is like in Auburn. As far as costs for a 1/1 or even student housing complexes?

There is a huge thread on the VCOM-Auburn Class of 2019 FB page. It's worth a look.

Last edited:
There is a huge thread on the VCOM-Auburn Class of 2019 FB page. It's worth a look.
I don't think they're allowed to view the thread since its a closed group... So to answer your question, pretty well priced :) the apartments closer to campus are mainly two bedroom but if you go about 3 miles away (which is still close in my opinion) you'll get an extremely nice one bedroom for a very good price (around 600-750). Much better than most states

Thought they might be part of the group, considering they're looking for housing. I live 3 miles away from campus and it's NBD. Quieter out this way, no parties, closer to Tiger Town, etc.

I am having a bit of trepidation about searching for and narrowing down Auburn housing options while at home here in California.

I want to save money (nothing extravagant, maybe a 2/1 or 3/1) but want a safe, quiet area (nothing remote, though) for my wife and kids that is in good proximity to Auburn elementary schools (since I hear Auburn school district is so amazing). I would like to keep our housing expenses under $1000 per month--is that reasonable in Auburn?

I am having a bit of trepidation about searching for and narrowing down Auburn housing options while at home here in California.

I want to save money (nothing extravagant, maybe a 2/1 or 3/1) but want a safe, quiet area (nothing remote, though) for my wife and kids that is in good proximity to Auburn elementary schools (since I hear Auburn school district is so amazing). I would like to keep our housing expenses under $1000 per month--is that reasonable in Auburn?

Without a garage, yes. I am paying $1,100 for a really nice 3/2 with garage, big yards, etc., in a quiet family neighborhood. It listed for $1,200 but we negotiated it down.