Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you all had a Merry Christmas!
merry-christmas-isolated.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am having a bit of trepidation about searching for and narrowing down Auburn housing options while at home here in California.

I want to save money (nothing extravagant, maybe a 2/1 or 3/1) but want a safe, quiet area (nothing remote, though) for my wife and kids that is in good proximity to Auburn elementary schools (since I hear Auburn school district is so amazing). I would like to keep our housing expenses under $1000 per month--is that reasonable in Auburn?

Have you looked in Opelika? Thats where I'll be living. Its about 7 or 8 miles from campus. I think there are some unfavorable areas in Opelika but they don't blend with the nicer neighborhoods. And best of all its quiet, family oriented, and safe. We'll be renting a 2/1 for under $1000 so its definitely possible!

Interview Invite! Jan 19th. Can anyone give me any feedback on the interview and the outline of the day? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked in Opelika? Thats where I'll be living. Its about 7 or 8 miles from campus. I think there are some unfavorable areas in Opelika but they don't blend with the nicer neighborhoods. And best of all its quiet, family oriented, and safe. We'll be renting a 2/1 for under $1000 so its definitely possible!

I am trying to stay in Auburn for two reasons:
1) closer to campus
2) better school district for my minions (munchkins)

I am not outright opposed to Opelika, just with strong strong preference to Auburn.

Thanks for feedback.

-Scott

Last edited:
I am trying to stay in Auburn for two reasons:
1) closer to campus
2) better school district for my minions

I am not outright opposed to Opelika, just with strong strong preference to Auburn.

Thanks for feedback.

-Scott
I'm in the same boat as you. Looking to stay within 5-6 miles of campus but also stay in Auburn for school for my kids. I've seen several duplexes with yards only about 2.5 miles from the school for $800. I'm hoping to have several places narrowed down soon but I don't know far out they'll hold a place for me though.

What realtor helped you find that deal?

I just started my criminal background/pre-check application and it has three options for VCOM

1. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine Virginia- Third and Fourth year students Recheck
2. Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic
3.Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic-Post Bacc.

So I am assuming to pick the second one, correct?? (even though it specifies Virginia campus)

I just started my criminal background/pre-check application and it has three options for VCOM

1. Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine Virginia- Third and Fourth year students Recheck
2. Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic
3.Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic-Post Bacc.

So I am assuming to pick the second one, correct?? (even though it specifies Virginia campus)

That's what I did, pretty sure that's right!

My application was complete on Dec 5th. Haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else also waiting?...

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was complete on Dec 5th. Haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else also waiting?...
I wouldn't worry yet. Since you were complete right before Winter break time, I would expect to wait just a bit longer than others have.

Whats the word on some of the equipment we have to have? Do we have to purchase our own stethoscope, or not? I know some programs provide some equipment (paid for in fees, of course).

A dude from the CC campus said they didn't have to buy anything as far as equipment goes.

Reactions: 2 users
I just got a call from Auburn VCOM for an interview :) This is my first interview. I would love any tips and suggestions. I am non traditional, Phd in mol bio, worked in research for 10 years, have a few publications, not too much volunteering, good letters and shadowed 2 doctors. GPA is fine but MCAT is weak, 24. Thank you in advance.

I just got a call from Auburn VCOM for an interview :) This is my first interview. I would love any tips and suggestions. I am non traditional, Phd in mol bio, worked in research for 10 years, have a few publications, not too much volunteering, good letters and shadowed 2 doctors. GPA is fine but MCAT is weak, 24. Thank you in advance.
Congrats :) im excited for you. As for advice, read prior posts... Myself and quite a few others wrote some great tips. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 users

I was accepted with a 24. I have since then gotten results back that resulted in a much higher MCAT, but both of my interviewers straight up told me that neither my 3.7 cGPA/3.6sGPA and a 24 (8/7/9) was not going to keep me out of VCOM-Auburn.

They are open file, so be prepared to answer for anything less than a B- IMO. Also if you have any big gaps, chunks of Ws, pattern of Ws, etc.

My first interview started off about grades but seeing my GPA he didn't have much to go on. He asked about the strange way my school does some of their labs which we cleared up pretty easily. Then we went into conversation mode and were talking about hobbies, research, my current healthcare job, OMM/DO, etc. The first guy asked me what steroids I was on since I have powerlifting as a hobby on my application (he was kidding, although I think it may have been kind of funny to list of a bunch of them as he probably knew quite a few him being a large mammal vet and all).

My second interview was less numbers-oriented and more "Why DO?" oriented. He brought up my PS written about my mother being the 9th in 4 maternal generations to get breast cancer around menopausal age which led into him asking a medical question as to how I would treat a middle aged woman with back pain. This seems to be out of the norm, so I wouldn't even worry about prepping for anything medical. He admitted afterwards that he wasn't expecting a perfect answer, he was just talking basically. Definitely talked about Why DO and more about my powerlifting too.

I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Know your application, know the school/their history

Also.... remember... you love sweet tea, auburn football, and it's pronounced Shug "Jur"dan not Jordan. ;) good luck and congrats, everyone is so nice and warm down there

Reactions: 4 users
Hey welcome! You sound awesome, wanna be bffs? Make sure you read through this thread because a LOT of your questions, etc have been answered. Just be yourself, know why you want DO, and know the basic tenets of osteopathic medicine. Other than that, it's very casual and conversational. When is your interview?

Hey welcome! You sound awesome, wanna be bffs? Make sure you read through this thread because a LOT of your questions, etc have been answered. Just be yourself, know why you want DO, and know the basic tenets of osteopathic medicine. Other than that, it's very casual and conversational. When is your interview?
Jan 15th....thank you for the encouragement!

I was accepted with a 24. I have since then gotten results back that resulted in a much higher MCAT, but both of my interviewers straight up told me that neither my 3.7 cGPA/3.6sGPA and a 24 (8/7/9) was not going to keep me out of VCOM-Auburn.

They are open file, so be prepared to answer for anything less than a B- IMO. Also if you have any big gaps, chunks of Ws, pattern of Ws, etc.

My first interview started off about grades but seeing my GPA he didn't have much to go on. He asked about the strange way my school does some of their labs which we cleared up pretty easily. Then we went into conversation mode and were talking about hobbies, research, my current healthcare job, OMM/DO, etc. The first guy asked me what steroids I was on since I have powerlifting as a hobby on my application (he was kidding, although I think it may have been kind of funny to list of a bunch of them as he probably knew quite a few him being a large mammal vet and all).

My second interview was less numbers-oriented and more "Why DO?" oriented. He brought up my PS written about my mother being the 9th in 4 maternal generations to get breast cancer around menopausal age which led into him asking a medical question as to how I would treat a middle aged woman with back pain. This seems to be out of the norm, so I wouldn't even worry about prepping for anything medical. He admitted afterwards that he wasn't expecting a perfect answer, he was just talking basically. Definitely talked about Why DO and more about my powerlifting too.

I wouldn't stress out too much about it. Know your application, know the school/their history

Also.... remember... you love sweet tea, auburn football, and it's pronounced Shug "Jur"dan not Jordan. ;) good luck and congrats, everyone is so nice and warm down there

Thank you so much for your input. I shall be reading this thread like crazy :)

Jan 15th....thank you for the encouragement!
Just so you know your MCAT shouldn't be a problem. That's what I made too.
If it's not too weird, I'd love to grab a coffee or something while you are in town. Are you in state?

Just so you know your MCAT shouldn't be a problem. That's what I made too.
If it's not too weird, I'd love to grab a coffee or something while you are in town. Are you in state?
Yes I am instate. In Birmingham, work at UAB....you?

I live in Seale which is South of Phenix City before Eufaula. It's about 45 minutes from the school. My in-laws live in Bham!

Yes I am instate. In Birmingham, work at UAB....you?
Got in with a 25 on the MCAT, 3.6 cGPA /3.7 sGPA (4.0 cGPA last 3 of 5 years, so upward trend), good letters and ECs. Be prepared to talk about any C's you may have made during your academic career. My first interview was very conversational, primarily focussed on the course of my life, what brought me to here, hobbies, "why Osteopathic medicine", etc. My second interview was more about the nuts and bolts of Osteopathic medicine (so be sure you are well-versed in the practice) and some pitfalls in my academic profile.

My advice? Be sure you can clearly get across to them specifically what it is about osteopathic medicine that brought you to them, and what it is about VCOM-Auburn that brought you to them.

P.S. Also work at UAB! Represent!

Edit: They are great people down there!

Got in with a 25 on the MCAT, 3.6 cGPA /3.7 sGPA (4.0 cGPA last 3 of 5 years, so upward trend), good letters and ECs. Be prepared to talk about any C's you may have made during your academic career. My first interview was very conversational, primarily focussed on the course of my life, what brought me to here, hobbies, "why Osteopathic medicine", etc. My second interview was more about the nuts and bolts of Osteopathic medicine (so be sure you are well-versed in the practice) and some pitfalls in my academic profile.

My advice? Be sure you can clearly get across to them specifically what it is about osteopathic medicine that brought you to them, and what it is about VCOM-Auburn that brought you to them.

P.S. Also work at UAB! Represent!

Edit: They are great people down there!

Hi, when you say well versed. I think the only thing makes it different is the OMT and their ability to view the patient holistically than MDs in my opinion. Is there anything else I am missing?

Hi, when you say well versed. I think the only thing makes it different is the OMT and their ability to view the patient holistically than MDs in my opinion. Is there anything else I am missing?

That is certainly the gist of it, but it has to go a bit deeper than that. The interviewer needs to know that you know what it means to view the patient "holistically", and that you know the purpose of OMT and that its not just pushing and squeezing (said bluntly) to fix the problem. It helps if you can go into greater depth in the tenets of osteopathic medicine, because anyone can walk into an interview and say we view patients more holistically than MD's and practice OMT. I can assure you, they would rather hear a well-rounded answer from someone who has obviously done their research.

That is certainly the gist of it, but it has to go a bit deeper than that. The interviewer needs to know that you know what it means to view the patient "holistically", and that you know the purpose of OMT and that its not just pushing and squeezing (said bluntly) to fix the problem. It helps if you can go into greater depth in the tenets of osteopathic medicine, because anyone can walk into an interview and say we view patients more holistically than MD's and practice OMT. I can assure you, they would rather hear a well-rounded answer from someone who has obviously done their research.

I will DM you directly. Thank you for the input. I needed this anyway. Reality check. Lol

Definitely knowing the tenants of osteopathic medicine (google that exact phrase) will help you develop a well rounded answer as to why DO.

In my opinion, as long as you're honest and aren't a psychopath, you should be fine. That's how I've always approached interviews lol.

Shadow a DO physician or visit an osteopathic school to witness OMM in action if you can.

Like the others have said, don't stress the interview! But definitely be able to explain what is agreeable with you and the practice and philosophy of osteopathic medicine.

Hey y'all. I have been accepted to VCOM-Auburn and was wondering if someone might know a bit more than me regarding rotation sites. I know of some of the hospital affiliations (4 or 5) but not much more than that. How many students will be assigned to each core spot? I've read a few things (not just from pre meds on sdn) about concerns for having good rotation sites with the existence of ACOM and the MD schools in Alabama. I'm not worried about not having rotation sites, but I just want to be assured of the quality of the sites. Just curious if anyone else could shine some light on the situation for me.

I am deciding between vcom auburn and another school. I enjoyed everything about the interview at vcom except the fact that I don't have a real feel for how the school will be, which is understandable being a new school. Also, I like some others am interested in sports medicine. I know that the va campus is heavily involved with va tech athletics, and I'm sure vcom auburn has that potential. But being a new school, how much interaction do you think we'd really have with auburn athletics at the start? I wonder if it will take some time to build those relationships and create opportunities

Hey y'all. I have been accepted to VCOM-Auburn and was wondering if someone might know a bit more than me regarding rotation sites. I know of some of the hospital affiliations (4 or 5) but not much more than that. How many students will be assigned to each core spot? I've read a few things (not just from pre meds on sdn) about concerns for having good rotation sites with the existence of ACOM and the MD schools in Alabama. I'm not worried about not having rotation sites, but I just want to be assured of the quality of the sites. Just curious if anyone else could shine some light on the situation for me.

I am deciding between vcom auburn and another school. I enjoyed everything about the interview at vcom except the fact that I don't have a real feel for how the school will be, which is understandable being a new school. Also, I like some others am interested in sports medicine. I know that the va campus is heavily involved with va tech athletics, and I'm sure vcom auburn has that potential. But being a new school, how much interaction do you think we'd really have with auburn athletics at the start? I wonder if it will take some time to build those relationships and create opportunities
I honestly don't think that the quality of the sites is going to be a problem. I was told by the dean VCOM is unique in that it provides the clinical sites with an actual guided clinical curriculum that is geared to boards. Another good thing about VCOM is that students from the VA and CC campuses have been rotating at the AL and GA sites in preparation for this schools class. I know a lot of people thought the auburn clinical sites would be tiny hospitals or outpatient clinics. But most of the the clinical sites seem to be hospitals (don't quote me on this) with >120 beds. And a couple of larger hospitals like EAMC (which is the main site.)

In regards to working with Auburn athletics, we were told this will be a significant aspects of this school. We were told that students will be able to work with all AU athletes except football (it's the SEC, their football is the holy grail), but football is still being negotiated.

Finally, this school isn't as big of a risk when it comes to new schools. This isn't a new school, just a new campus. VCOM isn't new to this. There will still be hiccups most likely, but this is VCOM's third time doing this.

I know that VCOM rotates at the Jack Huston Memorial Clinic in Phenix City, AL. I shadowed orthopedic surgery there for several days, and after informing one of the surgeons I know that I was accepted to VCOM she said she had 5 VCOM students rotating with her now. She is a DUKE grad and Emory MD (Air Force trained), so it means a lot to hear her hold the VCOM students in such high respects. I, personally, look forward to the rotations VCOM has set up.

I honestly don't think that the quality of the sites is going to be a problem. I was told by the dean VCOM is unique in that it provides the clinical sites with an actual guided clinical curriculum that is geared to boards. Another good thing about VCOM is that students from the VA and CC campuses have been rotating at the AL and GA sites in preparation for this schools class. I know a lot of people thought the auburn clinical sites would be tiny hospitals or outpatient clinics. But most of the the clinical sites seem to be hospitals (don't quote me on this) with >120 beds. And a couple of larger hospitals like EAMC (which is the main site.)

In regards to working with Auburn athletics, we were told this will be a significant aspects of this school. We were told that students will be able to work with all AU athletes except football (it's the SEC, their football is the holy grail), but football is still being negotiated.

Finally, this school isn't as big of a risk when it comes to new schools. This isn't a new school, just a new campus. VCOM isn't new to this. There will still be hiccups most likely, but this is VCOM's third time doing this.

I know that VCOM rotates at the Jack Huston Memorial Clinic in Phenix City, AL. I shadowed orthopedic surgery there for several days, and after informing one of the surgeons I know that I was accepted to VCOM she said she had 5 VCOM students rotating with her now. She is a DUKE grad and Emory MD (Air Force trained), so it means a lot to hear her hold the VCOM students in such high respects. I, personally, look forward to the rotations VCOM has set up.

Hey thanks for the input. I was able to learn a bit about East Alabama Medical Center at the interview, and the Hughston Clinic seems to have a great reputation. Having either of those hospitals as a core site would be awesome, but I don't know much about the other hospitals, and there are only so many students that will be assigned to EAMC and Hughston Clinic. I don't necessarily doubt the other sites, I just wish I knew a bit more about them and the areas. Do you guys know specifics about the international rotations? Can anyone go that wants to, or do students have to apply? Do students pay for travel and all expenses? What sets VCOM's international trips apart from other school's medical missions that they organize (maybe other than the fact that VCOM has affiliated clinic's in those countries)?

I asked how much involvement we would have with the athletes on my interview day and dean P assured me it would be extensive. Also in student clinic and also with programs for the local youth

Your questions about rotations sites are fair. East Alabama Medical Center looks to be a spectacular rotation site! A 400-bed hospital is really really great.

I do not know much about the state of Alabama, but I know there are a ton of hospitals:
http://theagapecenter.com/Hospitals/Alabama.htm

I am confident that VCOM administration is working feverishly to develop quality rotations to produce quality healers out of its students. From what the dean stated, they were still reaching out to secure more and more sites.

Wassup everybody? I'm not applying to Auburn but one of the Orthopedic surgeons that will begin working at the medical school lives in my neighborhood. He's a great person and an accomplished surgeon so I'm sure that those accepted will love learning from him. Anyways, good luck to everybody with this crazy admissions process

Reactions: 4 users
Wassup everybody? I'm not applying to Auburn but one of the Orthopedic surgeons that will begin working at the medical school lives in my neighborhood. He's a great person and an accomplished surgeon so I'm sure that those accepted will love learning from him. Anyways, good luck to everybody with this crazy admissions process
Thank you :)

Thanks for the input! If you don't mind my asking, what is his name?

Just got an interview invitation for 1/27!!!

Reactions: 5 users
There were some interviews today, should be almost done. Someone please share how it went once you get a chance. Mine is on Thursday. I am really nervous for some reason. This is my first one but from the school I really want to attend, so I do not want to mess up.

There were some interviews today, should be almost done. Someone please share how it went once you get a chance. Mine is on Thursday. I am really nervous for some reason. This is my first one but from the school I really want to attend, so I do not want to mess up.

Reread this whole thread and RELAX. I'm confident that they like you if they've invited you to interview.

Be ready to say why medicine, why DO, and why in the world would you want to start a brand-new medical school when there are so many established programs for qualified candidates?

Realize now that virtually the entire Auburn community is at least conversationally interested in athletics. If you don't know something about an Auburn grad named Newton, it's to your advantage to learn of his contributions to that community. It's also basketball season, so know what happened with that team.

Be yourself. Know your weaknesses and strengths. (If your application is really tight, you already know the small chinks. Don't be surprised if someone inquires about something comparatively small just to see how well you know your own material - especially if you're an otherwise strong candidate.)

How have you shown your commitment to medicine?

You'll do fine. Come back and post your acceptance when it happens. Good luck!

yeah you just need to browse through the thread. I know I have shared my interview experience at least 5 times or so

yeah you just need to browse through the thread. I know I have shared my interview experience at least 5 times or so
I have browsed through the thread several times...I think it's because it's my first one ever...so the anxiety. But thank you for your input. I will definitely post my feelings after the interview. Good Luck to everyone who is interviewing today and Thursday.

I have browsed through the thread several times...I think it's because it's my first one ever...so the anxiety. But thank you for your input. I will definitely post my feelings after the interview. Good Luck to everyone who is interviewing today and Thursday.

if you have, then you should see that there is essentially no cause for fear. you need to have confidence in the fact that you are a good applicant for the school, otherwise why would your interviewers think you are a good candidate?