Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reread this whole thread and RELAX. I'm confident that they like you if they've invited you to interview.

Be ready to say why medicine, why DO, and why in the world would you want to start a brand-new medical school when there are so many established programs for qualified candidates?

Realize now that virtually the entire Auburn community is at least conversationally interested in athletics. If you don't know something about an Auburn grad named Newton, it's to your advantage to learn of his contributions to that community. It's also basketball season, so know what happened with that team.

Be yourself. Know your weaknesses and strengths. (If your application is really tight, you already know the small chinks. Don't be surprised if someone inquires about something comparatively small just to see how well you know your own material - especially if you're an otherwise strong candidate.)

How have you shown your commitment to medicine?

You'll do fine. Come back and post your acceptance when it happens. Good luck!
Walk in and just say, "CAM FREAKIN' NEWTON!!!"

Done.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I have browsed through the thread several times...I think it's because it's my first one ever...so the anxiety. But thank you for your input. I will definitely post my feelings after the interview. Good Luck to everyone who is interviewing today and Thursday.

I'm in the same boat as you don't worry! I'm super nervous too because thursday is my first one as well! But I will see you there on Thursday and I'm sure we will both do great :)

Reactions: 2 users
Walk in and just say, "CAM FREAKIN' NEWTON!!!"

Done.

That's got to be worth 6 interview points right there.

Extra points:
1 points if the above is said while ripping off your dress shirt to reveal Cam's jersey.
2 points if you follow the jersey reveal by striking the Heisman pose.
3 points if you're holding a football while striking the aforementioned Heisman pose.
4 points if after holding the Heisman pose for ten seconds, you successfully spin the ball on the conference room table, pick it up, and present it as an gift to the medical school.
5 points if the football was signed by Cam Newton.

Total possible thus far: 21 points.

Other scoring opportunities? Let's get creative, people!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's got to be worth 6 interview points right there.

Extra points:
1 points if the above is said while ripping off your dress shirt to reveal Cam's jersey.
2 points if you follow the jersey reveal by striking the Heisman pose.
3 points if you're holding a football while striking the aforementioned Heisman pose.
4 points if after holding the Heisman pose for ten seconds, you successfully spin the ball on the conference room table, pick it up, and present it as an gift to the medical school.
5 points if the football was signed by Cam Newton.

Total possible thus far: 21 points.

Other scoring opportunities? Let's get creative, people!
Best post in thread.

Reactions: 1 users
10 points if you bring Cam Newton as a guest and have him sign the football in person.

10 points if you drag Nick Saban in on all fours and make him bark...

If anyone is in town right now and wants to meet up for dinner, let me know ASAP (as in within an hour). We can hit Mellow Mushroom.

Anyhow, I echo what everyone else has said. Just read this thread and ... remember that this interview is about getting to know you and determining whether or not you're a good fit for the school. My interview was extremely casual and I didn't get a single "standard" question. Don't try to prepare for this one. Just relax, be yourself, and be confident.

Good luck!

Too bad I'm 3 hours away. I'd totally be down.

Reactions: 1 user
Where do I go once I get to 570 devall drive? Please help!!

Look for the van. It has VCOM plates. You can also call 334-***-**** if you think you've missed the van. I believe they're still doing everything in the kinesiology building...

Last edited:
Does anybody know if v-com auburn does interviews via Skype? I know it's strange but I've heard of other schools doing it so I figured I'd ask.

I
Does anybody know if v-com auburn does interviews via Skype? I know it's strange but I've heard of other schools doing it so I figured I'd ask.
definitely doubt it! Plus, if you're considering committing 4 years there, it's a worthy investment to go and check out the area. Sorry if that's not a possibility for you :/ good luck

I

definitely doubt it! Plus, if you're considering committing 4 years there, it's a worthy investment to go and check out the area. Sorry if that's not a possibility for you :/ good luck
Psh, it's only like 2 years and plus I'll never leave my apartment anyway!
/s

Members don't see this ad :)
Back to being serious for a second, I wonder how much of a student push would be necessary to get the administration to allow us 24/7 access to the building? That's one thing that I know other schools do and I was upset to find out VCOM wasn't planning on allowing...

Anyone know what hours they're proposing?

Like everything else, find out what happens at 5-10 comparable schools and submit your findings to the dean with a respectful request for consideration. It's likely you'll get some understanding of why they made this decision and what (if anything) would have to change for their decision to change.

I had my interview yesterday...and it went ok. I might have rambled at times...but no hard questions. It is nice to see that they really have planned everything out and its not a chaos, it being a new campus. There were 7 of us, 4 girls and 3 guys. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

This. VCOM likes to show the students the town (which is amazing in every way). It's a major part. So you would miss out on this entire aspect.

Seeing the national championship trophy and Cam Newton's Heisman was almost as memorable as the new building.

but they didn't show us the weight room :(

For anyone that interviewed recently, do you get to see the actual building we will be in yet? I know others have said they didn't because it was still in the early stages of construction, but since it's much farther along now I was curious if i will get to see some of it when I interview January 27th.

Back to being serious for a second, I wonder how much of a student push would be necessary to get the administration to allow us 24/7 access to the building? That's one thing that I know other schools do and I was upset to find out VCOM wasn't planning on allowing...
I think it's good they force us outside for even a small portion of the day. Balance is a necessary aspect of life... and med school.

If students are going to push for anything, it should definitely be dropping mandatory attendance! Having a bit more flexibility with the schedule is a more important aspect of lifestyle balance than the hours of the building. This is one thing I sure wish would change. It will play a big factor in daily lifestyle, study habits, time management, etc. for many people

but they didn't show us the weight room :(

Want me to take pictures for you? We will have access to the brand new Auburn Recreation and Wellness Center. As for the actual student athlete gym ... dude ... they crank the music up in there so loudly that the athletic department's walls and floors shake for hours. It's nuts!!!

If students are going to push for anything, it should definitely be dropping mandatory attendance! Having a bit more flexibility with the schedule is a more important aspect of lifestyle balance than the hours of the building. This is one thing I sure wish would change. It will play a big factor in daily lifestyle, study habits, time management, etc. for many people

IDK, slipperypete, that sounds like a slippery slope toward slipping behind...

Want me to take pictures for you? We will have access to the brand new Auburn Recreation and Wellness Center. As for the actual student athlete gym ... dude ... they crank the music up in there so loudly that the athletic department's walls and floors shake for hours. It's nuts!!!

I'd appreciate pics of both. Will we have access to the athlete gym? Maybe I need to sweet talk someone because I hear deadlifts aren't appreciated in the regular student gym

IDK, slipperypete, that sounds like a slippery slope toward slipping behind...

Lots of ppl never go to class at other schools and do fine.

When are the next batches of acceptances supposed to be going out? Excited for you guys!

I think about 150

According to accreditation guidelines, they can accept an additional 8% as desired for a maximum of 162.

It's what I read somewhere.

For anyone that interviewed recently, do you get to see the actual building we will be in yet? I know others have said they didn't because it was still in the early stages of construction, but since it's much farther along now I was curious if i will get to see some of it when I interview January 27th.
They just showed us the building from outside. but we were told that they got to tour the facility a few days ago and everything is looking good.

Question to people that interviewed last Thursday...So when does the committee going to meet? 21st or 22nd, I have forgotten. Starting to feel stressed again...:nailbiting:

Question to people that interviewed last Thursday...So when does the committee going to meet? 21st or 22nd, I have forgotten. Starting to feel stressed again...:nailbiting:

Stop stressing lol. Stay off SDN until you find out. Go work out, pick up a hobby, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
hahaha....i am at work :) and trying really hard to stay off SDN!
The waiting sucks, and don't listen to @baxt1412, he was nail biting just a few pages back in this thread, as was I a few pages before that. It is the right of passage of admissions: waiting, nail biting, stalking... Enjoy it, and hopefully it will all be worth it when you get the call!!!

The waiting sucks, and don't listen to @baxt1412, he was nail biting just a few pages back in this thread, as was I a few pages before that. It is the right of passage of admissions: waiting, nail biting, stalking... Enjoy it, and hopefully it will all be worth it when you get the call!!!

I sure was but wish I had just blocked the site lol.

anyone received email log in details?
Nope. But they will come. I'm sure its hell trying to get the program off the ground. Jasmine is super swamped

Anyone received their VCOM email yet?

Edit: NVM, I can't read.

Got the call y'all!!! So happy. Accepted. Thank God

Reactions: 7 users
Dang u go future Dr. Ray! They must have really liked you :)
The feeling is mutual. I really enjoyed it and I was really honest and couldn't have been better !!

I was looking at the curriculum (last years) and it looks like you have to be in class everyday from 8 to sometimes 4pm...I heard that in some schools classes are until 2 pm and students have time to study on their own. Also 85% attendance is pretty high too. Not complaining...just discussing. I am ecstatic that I have been accepted at VCOM.

I was looking at the curriculum (last years) and it looks like you have to be in class everyday from 8 to sometimes 4pm...I heard that in some schools classes are until 2 pm and students have time to study on their own. Also 85% attendance is pretty high too. Not complaining...just discussing. I am ecstatic that I have been accepted at VCOM.

Yeah, I know that in many medical schools there are only 4 hours or so of class per day, so this does seem like quite a bit more. Wondering if there is just more to the curriculum? Obviously one of the factors is that they teach OMM, which is not at any of the MD schools and will add a few hours a week.