Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the call y'all!!! So happy. Accepted. Thank God
Ayyyeee!!! My boy! Congrats dog!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Forgot to post because I was at another interview but ACCEPTED!! I couldn't be happier :)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an ii Fri, Jan 23 via phone call.

I did not have a DO letter, only an MD letter. At the interview they said that everyone has to provide a DO letter within 30 days of getting accepted, however I think I read somewhere where it says " a DO letter may be still required", anyone in the same boat as me? Also if someone knows a DO in the Birmingham area whom they may have shadowed please let me know...I am looking.

I did not have a DO letter, only an MD letter. At the interview they said that everyone has to provide a DO letter within 30 days of getting accepted, however I think I read somewhere where it says " a DO letter may be still required", anyone in the same boat as me? Also if someone knows a DO in the Birmingham area whom they may have shadowed please let me know...I am looking.
You've been accepted, correct?
If so, I would take to cold-calling the DOs that are closest to you. Explain that you have been accepted to VCOM and you would like to meet/shadow them in order to get a rec letter, which is required. Just fill them in and tell them what you need. Most DOs that I've met have gone completely out of their way to help me once they hear that I'm also pursuing osteopathic medicine. Perhaps you'll have similar luck!

I'll be interviewing Tue, Feb 3

Reactions: 1 users
If so, I would take to cold-calling the DOs that are closest to you. Explain that you have been accepted to VCOM and you would like to meet/shadow them in order to get a rec letter, which is required. Just fill them in and tell them what you need. Most DOs that I've met have gone completely out of their way to help me once they hear that I'm also pursuing osteopathic medicine. Perhaps you'll have similar luck!
Yes I have been accepted. Thanks for the info...

Within 30 days? That is news to me. I didn't think the acceptance letter gave such a hard timeframe. I did not have a DO letter at application and interview either. I am working on obtaining my DO letter from an osteopathic physician I worked with in the ER who was willing to oblige.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a status update email today, a response to an inquiry I made 3 weeks ago. It said, "because of the large volume of applications it could take up to 3 months to process" I'm not from the south at all though, so that might be the regional bias. Just an FYI for those who check their email every 15 minutes.

I got a status update email today, a response to an inquiry I made 3 weeks ago. It said, "because of the large volume of applications it could take up to 3 months to process" I'm not from the south at all though, so that might be the regional bias. Just an FYI for those who check their email every 15 minutes.
I'm from Arizona and have been accepted. VCOM-Auburn was actually the first school to offer me an interview and acceptance. I don't think they have any regional bias other than their mission to train physicians who will serve the Appalachian region.

I'm from Arizona and have been accepted. VCOM-Auburn was actually the first school to offer me an interview and acceptance. I don't think they have any regional bias other than their mission to train physicians who will serve the Appalachian region.

Same, from the Midwest no ties to Alabama or south at all and was accepted.

Within 30 days? That is news to me. I didn't think the acceptance letter gave such a hard timeframe. I did not have a DO letter at application and interview either. I am working on obtaining my DO letter from an osteopathic physician I worked with in the ER who was willing to oblige.
Actually my acceptance letter states I need to fulfill the DO letter requirement a month after my acceptance call, there is a date listed.

just got the call for an ii. next week, I live in western south dakota. Flying into atlanta on the night of the 2nd late and out the 3rd at 6:45 if anyone wants to split a rental car and hotel DM. SUPER EXCITED!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wondering, what were some of y'all's reasons for picking VCOM Auburn, say over other schools. I am debating between a few schools, including VCOM Auburn. Unfortunately, I interviewed back in the fall and I feel like I wasn't able to learn much about the school with the building still under construction and no faculty members present. Does anyone know more about faculty members/professors? Will this be the first time they have taught medical school? Are they coming from other medical schools? Or.... does nobody know??? I enjoyed the town of Auburn and the university, but I am having a hard time making a decision when I feel like I know so little about the school and all to expect. Most of the advice I have been given is to pick my one of my other options due to VCOM Auburn being new and not knowing anything about faculty or clinical rotations. I am trying to learn more about the school, because I would love to attend there if I felt comfortable with what I am getting into academically. So, I thought I would see what y'all might know about the school. I understand there are two other campuses and so they say this will just be like the others and so there isn't much to worry about. While I believe it will be a smoother transition than opening a brand new school, it is still a new campus with new faculty, rotations, etc. I wish there was not mandatory attendance (as some have seen from an earlier post). I remember hearing 85% attendance, is this correct? Anyone know how strict that policy is? And is there anyone that is familiar with the hospitals, other than EAMC, that we could be rotating at. I've lived in the south most of my life, but haven't spent much time in Alabama. Overall, from what I learned about VCOM Auburn, it seems like a good school. The town of Auburn and AU are probably the part luring me in the most. I'm not saying I don't like VCOM by an means, I just don't know enough about the new campus. Unfortunately, maybe nobody does and perhaps the unexpected is just one of the things you have to deal with when picking a new school. Hope I'm not coming across negative. I am only asking because I am very interested in VCOM Auburn and would pick it over the other schools in a heartbeat if I could have some peace of mind with rotations and overcoming the challenges of a new school.

Just wondering, what were some of y'all's reasons for picking VCOM Auburn, say over other schools. I am debating between a few schools, including VCOM Auburn. Unfortunately, I interviewed back in the fall and I feel like I wasn't able to learn much about the school with the building still under construction and no faculty members present. Does anyone know more about faculty members/professors? Will this be the first time they have taught medical school? Are they coming from other medical schools? Or.... does nobody know??? I enjoyed the town of Auburn and the university, but I am having a hard time making a decision when I feel like I know so little about the school and all to expect. Most of the advice I have been given is to pick my one of my other options due to VCOM Auburn being new and not knowing anything about faculty or clinical rotations. I am trying to learn more about the school, because I would love to attend there if I felt comfortable with what I am getting into academically. So, I thought I would see what y'all might know about the school. I understand there are two other campuses and so they say this will just be like the others and so there isn't much to worry about. While I believe it will be a smoother transition than opening a brand new school, it is still a new campus with new faculty, rotations, etc. I wish there was not mandatory attendance (as some have seen from an earlier post). I remember hearing 85% attendance, is this correct? Anyone know how strict that policy is? And is there anyone that is familiar with the hospitals, other than EAMC, that we could be rotating at. I've lived in the south most of my life, but haven't spent much time in Alabama. Overall, from what I learned about VCOM Auburn, it seems like a good school. The town of Auburn and AU are probably the part luring me in the most. I'm not saying I don't like VCOM by an means, I just don't know enough about the new campus. Unfortunately, maybe nobody does and perhaps the unexpected is just one of the things you have to deal with when picking a new school. Hope I'm not coming across negative. I am only asking because I am very interested in VCOM Auburn and would pick it over the other schools in a heartbeat if I could have some peace of mind with rotations and overcoming the challenges of a new school.
"Listen to Your Heart" by Roxette
that should give you all the answers to all your questions.

When I read this, I heard a lot of "What's in it for me?" To a certain level, that's understandable. We all want to make the most of our time, investment and education. What concerns me is I am not hearing a lot of "What can *I* do for this community, school, inaugural class, and profession while studying at VCOM-Auburn, and how will the school empower me to do such?"

There are few guarantees and few concrete answers at this point. This is a new school and they are still hiring staff and putting things in motion. You are only guaranteed the opportunity to make a huge contribution. If that sort of thing is important to you, then hopefully it can mitigate some of your concerns. If not, perhaps this isn't the best fit for you?

When I read this, I heard a lot of "What's in it for me?" To a certain level, that's understandable. We all want to make the most of our time, investment and education. What concerns me is I am not hearing a lot of "What can *I* do for this community, school, inaugural class, and profession while studying at VCOM-Auburn, and how will the school empower me to do such?"

There are few guarantees and few concrete answers at this point. This is a new school and they are still hiring staff and putting things in motion. You are only guaranteed the opportunity to make a huge contribution. If that sort of thing is important to you, then hopefully it can mitigate some of your concerns. If not, perhaps this isn't the best fit for you?

I understand what you are saying, but when I am paying over 40K a year for tuition and having the next four years shape my future, you can guarantee I am going to want a school that has a lot "in it for me". I want to contribute positively to whatever school I attend as well as the community and profession. It should be a situation where the school provides the student with an excellent education and the proper training to become a successful physician, while the student should do their part in making a good name for the school, performing well academically, and contributing to the community. There isn't a medical student in this world that does not want to attend a school that has a lot "in it for them", and I am sure all medical schools want to be known as institutions that provide students this opportunity.

What concerns me is I am not hearing a lot of "What can *I* do for this community, school, inaugural class, and profession while studying at VCOM-Auburn, and how will the school empower me to do such?"

I agree that the student, as well as the institution should do their part to create a successful experience for both the student and school. You aren't hearing me state what I want to do for the school and community because those are not things that I am uncertain about. I know what I can provide to the school. I am just trying to learn more about what the school can provide me since I do not know a whole lot at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
For students who interviewed on Jan. 27, today is the day! Well, or tomorrow morning. Update if you hear anything, please!

Ciara

For students who interviewed on Jan. 27, today is the day! Well, or tomorrow morning. Update if you hear anything, please!

Ciara

What makes you say that? They told us the committee would meet again on Feb. 6th and would call us either that afternoon or the following day. Am I missing something? Trust me, I hope what your saying is true! haha

Just wanted to put this out there (I've interviewed at this school already): What I liked about VCOM-Auburn is the fact that there is actually a campus feeling. I've interviewed at other schools and they all felt like monotonous commuter schools. As in, you live 10-20 mins away and you just commute from home to the building, home to the building. Whereas, at this school you have a campus to explore and most likely way more study space. The town seems great for going out after exams as well (as in there's cool sports bars etc.). It feels more like a family/campus.

This might be b/c I'm younger and closer to a traditional applicant, so maybe this applies to younger/more traditional applicants--then I would advise those reading this to take note.

Additionally, the fact that we will have access to AU amenities is huge. As in....we will have the huge brand new recreational center to explore. And if you haven't looked into that then I would suggest doing so. 5 story rock climbing wall, pools for the hot/humid days etc. I'm pretty active, so in my mind this is better than commuting to the regular YMCA down the street.

The worst part to this school is definitely the uncertainty/not so ideal rotations and residency placement. Also, brand new faculty with maybe some bumps in the road to the curriculum.

So, I guess you have to weigh your priorities with what you want for the next 4 years. Whatever med school you go to though, I feel like rotations are always in non-ideal locations.

The worst part to this school is definitely the uncertainty/not so ideal rotations and residency placement. Also, brand new faculty with maybe some bumps in the road to the curriculum.

So, I guess you have to weigh your priorities with what you want for the next 4 years. Whatever med school you go to though, I feel like rotations are always in non-ideal locations.
I thought this wasn't as much of a worry and has been resolved. What is the problem with the current rotation sites?

Well, from what I understand the rotation spots are all over the map and in pretty small/rural areas (which is fine if that's where you want to practice and learn). But, especially for someone like me not from the area, some of the "established" rotation spots are in the carolinas and somewhat distant in rural areas. At the school closer to where I grew up I have the ability to rotate at a hospital in the main (top 12 biggest cities in the nation) city 20 miles from my family/friends/home all for the 4th year. So I could essentially move to the big city and do 4th year there. And, this is a D.O. school. VCOM-Auburn might have this opportunity I could just be unaware.

Newer schools seem to require more push/effort for rotation spots in desirable areas ("desirable" being a relative term here, as in near a big city/home) simply b/c they havent been in the "rotation game" as long. So, in a sense it might be one of the "it's what you make of it" and you can find rotations through networking and working with the vcom rotations manager. idk if anyone has more info on this that would be great, but this is the gist of what I got/understand.

Last edited:
II today :). This late in the game, am I interviewing for an actual spot in the class or an alternate list?

You'll have a spot in the class. my guess is there's around 30-40 spots left. That's a guess though

Just got a phone call for an II today :)
Is the interview traditional one on one? How many interviews do we need to go through on the interview day?
Thanks

Just got a phone call for an II today :)
Is the interview traditional one on one? How many interviews do we need to go through on the interview day?
And does anyone know about how full the class is right now? I'm too excited to ask Jasmine about this when we talked on the phone. Is February kinda late for an acceptance?
Thanks

Remember, VCOM-Auburn was really late to the game compared to other schools. They were behind the eight ball even during the first week of interviews. It's early February and interviews are still going strong all over the country; just think of VCOM-Auburn as 1.5 months behind the curve. In short, you're fine.

As for the interview questions, it's all pretty detailed in this thread.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if the school can still accept people at this point? February is late. And I know some schools only sent out the acceptance letter to fulfill their intended class size first. Anyone else who are still admissible are put on wait list waiting for a spot to open. Not sure if this school does this, considering how new it is

Remember, VCOM-Auburn was really late to the game compared to other schools. They were behind the eight ball even during the first week of interviews. It's early February and interviews are still going strong all over the country; just think of VCOM-Auburn as 1.5 months behind the curve. In short, you're fine.

As for the interview questions, it's all pretty detailed in this thread.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input. I'm not asking Bout interview questions. I just want to know how many interview stations are there? Like 1 or 2? And how many interviewers in each station?
Thanks a lot

Thanks for your input. I'm not asking Bout interview questions. I just want to know how many interview stations are there? Like 1 or 2? And how many interviewers in each station?
Thanks a lot

Let me rephrase: "As for *your* interview questions, the answers can be found in this thread."

@hereforhelp It's a pretty standard interview day....

One thing about the day is that the "tour" of the area was downplayed. As in, they don't really show you exactly what you will be able to experience (access to the recreation center--we didn't even go in that during the tour--and the fall football game environments etcs). Sure you drive by it but they didn't do a good job of showing it really. but the campus is nice and vcom-auburn students will have the big school amenities which i think is really nice (at least for a more traditional student like me i'm in favor of that)

i also think that if someone was persistent enough and submitted a secondary right now..... you would still be able to get in (even this late in the game)

k done commenting ha

As far as the discussion about what VCOM-Auburn has to offer goes, I'll share some information about a pediatrician I respect. Both my sons see a well respected, well educated pediatrician who was also a chapter president of AAOP (I believe). After I shadowed him we sat down and talked and I found out he attended medical school at the Universidad de Juarez in Juarez, Mexico. He lived in Texas and crossed the border everyday to go to school. He taught me it's not about where you go to school, it's about how you apply yourself and what you do with the education. I have a wife and 2 kids and I worry about having to uproot them multiple times during school. I'd prefer to stay in Auburn for all 4 years and residency, but I have to be realistic and keep in mind it's not about where you go but how you apply yourself. This goes for clinical rotations also.

Reactions: 3 users
What makes you say that? They told us the committee would meet again on Feb. 6th and would call us either that afternoon or the following day. Am I missing something? Trust me, I hope what your saying is true! haha
One of my interviewers said he thought the 6th, but I thought that Jasmine said they were meeting this Friday as in today. Well, I definitely would have been flipping out if I didn't hear something tomorrow and didn't see your post! Ugh. This process is going to make me bald by the end.

One of my interviewers said he thought the 6th, but I thought that Jasmine said they were meeting this Friday as in today. Well, I definitely would have been flipping out if I didn't hear something tomorrow and didn't see your post! Ugh. This process is going to make me bald by the end.

Haha ya it's definitely the 6th...you had me checking my phone every 5 minutes the rest of the day at work though! Lol and the waiting game continues...

Does anyone know what the OMM schedule is like?

Also, how available are the rotation sites outside of the AL/GA area to us?

As far as the discussion about what VCOM-Auburn has to offer goes, I'll share some information about a pediatrician I respect. Both my sons see a well respected, well educated pediatrician who was also a chapter president of AAOP (I believe). After I shadowed him we sat down and talked and I found out he attended medical school at the Universidad de Juarez in Juarez, Mexico. He lived in Texas and crossed the border everyday to go to school. He taught me it's not about where you go to school, it's about how you apply yourself and what you do with the education. I have a wife and 2 kids and I worry about having to uproot them multiple times during school. I'd prefer to stay in Auburn for all 4 years and residency, but I have to be realistic and keep in mind it's not about where you go but how you apply yourself. This goes for clinical rotations also.
But even then, I don't think the rotations for VCOM-Auburn are going to be low-quality.

Does anyone know what the OMM schedule is like?

Also, how available are the rotation sites outside of the AL/GA area to us?
Their schedules are still in the making, but will reflect that of the other campuses. Theirs are available on the school's website.
As far as everyone's concerns about the rotation sites...if you haven't been to the interview yet, please know that your concerns will be addressed by The Dean on interview day. My group asked tons of questions about the rotation sites and we discussed it in detail. Everyone was confident about the opportunities that Auburn students will have by the end of the day (WE ASKED A LOT OF QUESTIONS!)
If you have been to the interview and are still concerned about the quality of the rotations...you should have had a clear opinion by the end of your interview day! If anything was unclear, you should ask questions until it is!
Also, the other 2 VCOM campuses have already established a great reputation. If you think about it, it's unlikely that they would start an Auburn campus if they wouldn't be able to provide the Auburn students with equally good rotation sites. A school's success depends on their reputation. VCOM wants to keep that reputation. They wouldn't open a campus and spend millions until they've researched the location and know it can be successful...especially with something that is so important like rotation sites.

VCOM is a great school and has experience in opening new campuses, which have done well from the beginning. Instead of depending on SDN, which is only information as other students understand it, call the school yourself! They have a great staff and are eager to answer questions like these.

Their schedules are still in the making, but will reflect that of the other campuses. Theirs are available on the school's website.
As far as everyone's concerns about the rotation sites...if you haven't been to the interview yet, please know that your concerns will be addressed by The Dean on interview day. My group asked tons of questions about the rotation sites and we discussed it in detail. Everyone was confident about the opportunities that Auburn students will have by the end of the day (WE ASKED A LOT OF QUESTIONS!)
If you have been to the interview and are still concerned about the quality of the rotations...you should have had a clear opinion by the end of your interview day! If anything was unclear, you should ask questions until it is!
Also, the other 2 VCOM campuses have already established a great reputation. If you think about it, it's unlikely that they would start an Auburn campus if they wouldn't be able to provide the Auburn students with equally good rotation sites. A school's success depends on their reputation. VCOM wants to keep that reputation. They wouldn't open a campus and spend millions until they've researched the location and know it can be successful...especially with something that is so important like rotation sites.

VCOM is a great school and has experience in opening new campuses, which have done well from the beginning. Instead of depending on SDN, which is only information as other students understand it, call the school yourself! They have a great staff and are eager to answer questions like these.

I have already interviewed and been accepted.

I was just wondering about the OMM schedule because I haven't really seen a real simple (2 hours per week, 2-4 hours per week, etc). I looked in the first few block schedules and OMM seems all over the place in terms of exposure per week so I was hoping there was a more normalized number somewhere.

Maybe we didn't cover it on my day, I can't remember. So, again, does anyone know if all VCOM rotation sites are open to all VCOM students or if some sites are more VC than CC or more Auburn than VC, etc (slight regional bias? Completely open to only one campus? Etc)

But even then, I don't think the rotations for VCOM-Auburn are going to be low-quality.
I agree with you, and you bring up another interesting point. The success of a student at even the top schools with the most prestigious rotations is dependent on the student.

I have already interviewed and been accepted.

I was just wondering about the OMM schedule because I haven't really seen a real simple (2 hours per week, 2-4 hours per week, etc). I looked in the first few block schedules and OMM seems all over the place in terms of exposure per week so I was hoping there was a more normalized number somewhere.

Maybe we didn't cover it on my day, I can't remember. So, again, does anyone know if all VCOM rotation sites are open to all VCOM students or if some sites are more VC than CC or more Auburn than VC, etc (slight regional bias? Completely open to only one campus? Etc)
I thought any VCOM student could attend rotations at any approved site. But you make a good point, how do students/faculty schedule rotations for 3 campuses? Does each campus handle their own students?

One of my good friends goes to the Carolina's campus and I had dinner with him a few days before my interview and he cleared this up for me so I figured I would share...Basically at the end of second year, you make a list of rotation sites you want starting with your most preferred and put down any specific reasons why. (spouse/family are there for example). Then you are essentially "competing" with students from all 3 campuses for those spots, and it is like a mini match, in the sense that if your first one is available you get it. If not, it moves down the list until you match into one. There are sites in a lot of places, not just in the AL, SC, NC, VA, WV areas. For instance, he is trying to get one in Miami. Whether or not sites in certain areas prefer students from a certain campus or not, I'm not sure...Such as a VA site preferring VA campus students...But the point is, the sites are available to all the students and if you have a compelling reason why you want a specific one, there shouldn't be too many issues getting it.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone else have an interview on the 4th?

I'm canceling my interview due to an acceptance at my first choice so if anybody wants to schedule for feb 16 you can after tmrw.