Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm hoping they do more calls today! Hoping that they didn't do them all yesterday just because it got so late...hah. But I know there's an interview group today so probably won't hear anything until after 4pm or so...ughh...lol
Congrats!!!! I still haven't gotten a call :( I heard from one of my other schools today w/an acceptance but a bit bummed I haven't heard from Auburn! Did they say that they've called everybody yet?

Members don't see this ad.

They didn't say when I talked to them. Hopefully you'll hear something soon. I hate that feeling of watching the acceptances pile up and not getting a call. It happened to me last week with ACOM so I feel you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone who got in today :) if anyone has any interview questions feel free to message me. People in this forum were very helpful for me and its my turn to repay the favor now that I am done

Members don't see this ad :)
II today by phone :) super excited

Reactions: 1 users
Im still hoping to receive a secondary... I got an email saying that they received my primary app about a week ago...

Accepted! Can't wait!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who got in today :) if anyone has any interview questions feel free to message me. People in this forum were very helpful for me and its my turn to repay the favor now that I am done
What kind of questions were asked? What was the interview day like??

Interview on the 21st. Anyone traveling from Birmingham or Montgomery to Auburn on the 20th willing to give me a ride or share a cab/rental car together? Please let me know!

Interview on the 21st. Anyone traveling from Birmingham or Montgomery to Auburn on the 20th willing to give me a ride or share a cab/rental car together? Please let me know!

Or from ATL (Atlanta area)

Hey! I am going for the 21. They called me thursday. They still haven't sent the email with the information. Is there anyway you could send me the info??? Or just tell me what time it starts and a good hotel. Thanks!

Hey! I am going for the 21. They called me thursday. They still haven't sent the email with the information. Is there anyway you could send me the info??? Or just tell me what time it starts and a good hotel. Thanks!

Email: Due to the fact that our building isn’t quite complete yet, we will be parking in an off-site area and shuttling to the location of the interviews. Please note that you will need to arrive by 7:45 am in order to ride the shuttle to the interview location. The map below show details of the location for your parking.

Parking Address
570 Devall Drive
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36832

Itinerary
8:00 AM Intro
8:30 AM VCOM Welcome Presentation
9:30 AM Group 1: Interviews, Group 2: Tour of Auburn
11:00 AM Group 2: Interviews, Group 1: Tour of Auburn
12:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM Financial Aid
1:30 PM Matriculation Information and Wrap-up

Last edited:
I'm also looking for a ride from ATL to Auburn, but my flight doesn't get in until 4:45 AM on Tuesday! I'd love to pay someone for a ride. (and I just need one way, I'll get a shuttle for the way back).

Members don't see this ad :)

You should probably give them a call, because they wanted you to fill out a survey updating them of any changes/new details about your application in the email. Also, you have to bring a photo ID.

Hotels listed in the email:
The Hotel at Auburn University & Dixon Conference Center

Hampton Inn & Suites Opelika - I-85 - Auburn Area
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika

Some things to pay attention to:
  • PLEASE BE ADVISED –If VCOM should close due to dangerous weather conditions, the interviews for that day will be automatically cancelled. You will be contacted by the Office of Admissions to reschedule your interview. If VCOM should delay opening due to weather conditions, the interview day will begin when the facility opens.
  • Should you develop flu-like symptoms prior to your interview, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND. Please contact the Office of Admissions by phone at 334-844-1928 promptly. We will be glad to work with you to reschedule your interview.
  • In the event that you are unable to attend your interview, please be sure to inform the Office of Admissions by phone at 334-844-1928 as soon as possible. If it is after-hours, please leave a message.
  • The interview day is restricted to interview candidates only. Unfortunately, your guests will be unable to attend any of the scheduled sessions. The following link provides information on things to do in the Auburn area for your guest while you are at your interview day:

You should probably give them a call, because they wanted you to fill out a survey updating them of any changes/new details about your application in the email. Also, you have to bring a photo ID.

Hotels listed in the email:
The Hotel at Auburn University & Dixon Conference Center

Hampton Inn & Suites Opelika - I-85 - Auburn Area
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika

Some things to pay attention to:
  • PLEASE BE ADVISED –If VCOM should close due to dangerous weather conditions, the interviews for that day will be automatically cancelled. You will be contacted by the Office of Admissions to reschedule your interview. If VCOM should delay opening due to weather conditions, the interview day will begin when the facility opens.
  • Should you develop flu-like symptoms prior to your interview, PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND. Please contact the Office of Admissions by phone at 334-844-1928 promptly. We will be glad to work with you to reschedule your interview.
  • In the event that you are unable to attend your interview, please be sure to inform the Office of Admissions by phone at 334-844-1928 as soon as possible. If it is after-hours, please leave a message.
  • The interview day is restricted to interview candidates only. Unfortunately, your guests will be unable to attend any of the scheduled sessions. The following link provides information on things to do in the Auburn area for your guest while you are at your interview day:
Yeah I tried calling but they didn't answer because it's sayurday. I'm driving from south Florida so I'm just hoping they still have my name down for the interview haha

What kind of questions were asked? What was the interview day like??

The questions were not generic, they were more personalized to my individual application. However, I did get asked "why DO" which is what I've been asked on every single interview... It was conversational. There are two thirty minute interviews. I can't really offer advice other than know your app! They really took the time to thoroughly read through my application. Best of luck!

Sorry for being repetitive, but if anyone's traveling from ATL or BHM (Birmingham), I am looking for a ride (will pay) or someone to share a cab/rental car. I am in the process of purchasing air tickets so I can travel to either airport. Thanks!

Sorry for being repetitive, but if anyone's traveling from ATL or BHM (Birmingham), I am looking for a ride (will pay) or someone to share a cab/rental car. I am in the process of purchasing air tickets so I can travel to either airport. Thanks!
If you flew into Columbus (CSG) I'd be happy to give you a ride. :)

I'm just curious of how many of those applicants that have accepted a seat at VCOM-Auburn have kids/family? I recently interviewed and if offered a seat, the student demographics may play a big part in the decision process.

I haven't turned in my secondary yet (long story), but will do so later this week.

GL to all!

I'm just curious of how many of those applicants that have accepted a seat at VCOM-Auburn have kids/family? I recently interviewed and if offered a seat, the student demographics may play a big part in the decision process.

One of my friends/classmates said that most of the people he interviewed with were very much non-trad. I think it will be a pretty good mix of nontrad and trad. I'm with you re: demographics as part of the decision; in fact, class demographics was a part of my decision to pursue the DO route.

Married, 41YO, no kids. Previous life as a senior-level IT manager in the Fortune 200 space.

Reactions: 3 users
diverse class is good. gives you a variety of different people to find your niche instead of having all mid twenties people.

In my experience, the pre-meds pursuing DO schools seem to be more patient-focused, and less, "I want to be a doctor." I want to be with real, caring, down-to-Earth, patient-focused, supportive, dedicated, and sincere peers. DO or bust...

I have kids! Six of them actually! Three are still at home. Auburn has awesome schools and people actually relocate just for that reason.

For me, I'd be relocating my wife and 2 kids (maybe a 3rd by matriculation, I don't know) to an area that we do not have family. My class-mates would play a large role in my social support network and likewise the spouses of class-mates for my wife's social support network.

For me, I'd be relocating my wife and 2 kids (maybe a 3rd by matriculation, I don't know) to an area that we do not have family. My class-mates would play a large role in my social support network and likewise the spouses of class-mates for my wife's social support network.
You're assuming the majority of your classmates to be male, I guess? (I'm being funny, totally not picking a fight) I think it's important to think about things like this up front, especially if you have the choice of schools. I've only gotten one offer so far, but it's the only one I want thankfully. I think if you decide on VCOM-Auburn, you should definitely get involved with the Facebook group so we can all start getting to know one another. I live about 30 miles from the school, and we are considering selling the house and getting something closer. In the meantime, I have a farm with goats, chickens, and a donkey (and some pigs that are going to the freezer at the end of October), so I would love to have a get-together with the students once everyone gets accepted. I feel like the class will have a large number of non-trads, and we've got to stick together.

You're assuming the majority of your classmates to be male, I guess? (I'm being funny, totally not picking a fight) I think it's important to think about things like this up front, especially if you have the choice of schools. I've only gotten one offer so far, but it's the only one I want thankfully. I think if you decide on VCOM-Auburn, you should definitely get involved with the Facebook group so we can all start getting to know one another. I live about 30 miles from the school, and we are considering selling the house and getting something closer. In the meantime, I have a farm with goats, chickens, and a donkey (and some pigs that are going to the freezer at the end of October), so I would love to have a get-together with the students once everyone gets accepted. I feel like the class will have a large number of non-trads, and we've got to stick together.

LOVE this. I hope to live like that after medical school. ;)

Can anyone speak to the "legal" question on the VCOM Auburn app? Does it ask about charges/arrests or just convictions?

LOVE this. I hope to live like that after medical school. ;)
Yeah I'm terrified I have to get rid of the animals during med school. It has been a dream all my life, and it's like therapy sitting out on the deck watching the chickens peck around the yard. Not to mention fresh eggs!

Can anyone speak to the "legal" question on the VCOM Auburn app? Does it ask about charges/arrests or just convictions?
Anything that would show up on a background check is what I'm thinking.

Everything. Even moving violations!
I looked up what is considered a misdemeanor in my state and moving violations are not considered misdemeanor unless it is aggravated or dui-related. I did not include traffic violations since mine are not misdemeanor. But it is always better to err on the side of caution if you are concerned.

Thanks to everyone so far that has replied regarding family/applicant demographics, it's very comforting to hear there are several applicants like myself.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Or today, I guess? :) I'm heading to bed, with only 7 more hours until my first med school interview. Stuff just got real...

I had two old moving violations - both > 9 years ago. I put them down, and an interviewer actually asked about them - I think mostly to see if I was prepared with a response. I was. Not much to say about things like "rolling stop at a stop sign" other than I paid the ticket.

Thanks to everyone so far that has replied regarding family/applicant demographics, it's very comforting to hear there are several applicants like myself.

Definitely! It appears that they are hoping to have a mature and settled group.

Probably because the medical school is within sight of the football stadium.

I think a good indicator of what the demographics / composition of the inaugural class for Auburn will be, is the inaugural class (c/o 2015) From VCOM-CC.

So does this mean that more traditional students might have less of a chance?

no. there is no reason to think that. i am not married with no kids and i still got accepted. im 24

no. there is no reason to think that. i am not married with no kids and i still got accepted. im 24

Trad, Not married, 23. Average age of VCOM-CC's inaugural class was like 23 (I'd have to look at yearbook again but I think that's correct). There are a lot of Non-Trad students which is really awesome and will make the class diverse, mature and interesting. But with that being said, a majority of the class is still going to be 'traditional' students for sure.

trad 22 years old, no kids... although i'm not accepted.... yet ;)

I have an interview on 11/4. Will be flying in from Northern California. Married with a wife and 2 kids. I applied later in cycle (end of July/ early August). Any specific recommendations to interview day from accepted students? How affordable is housing near in Auburn area?

I just spoke with admissions at one of the campuses (I won't mention which), and they said to "err on the side of caution." My moving violations were in the state of California, and were considered "infractions." Though I have been ticketed for moving violations in the past, an online search of my driving record (through the actual CA DMV) shows *no* record. I can only specifically recall two speeding tickets, so I will err on the side of caution and state that:

"I have received moving violations in the past, however, all were considered 'infractions.' An official online DMV record search indicates I have no moving violations on my record, which I know to be in error. In the spirit of full disclosure, I submit that I was cited for ______ moving violations on ____ dates."

I hope that suffices. I think they are really looking for misdemeanor reckless driving, DUI, etc., but the wording of the question is definitely vague!

Everything I've heard indicates that you're correct. They want to know if you're prone to really poor judgement, and really won't care if you were caught in a small-town speed trap or something.

Not any more than anywhere else. I'd say it's more that they're actively avoiding age discrimination, at least right now.

Not that any med school anywhere would EVER discriminate against a....more seasoned applicant. ;)

I have an interview on 11/4. Will be flying in from Northern California. Married with a wife and 2 kids. I applied later in cycle (end of July/ early August). Any specific recommendations to interview day from accepted students? How affordable is housing near in Auburn area?

There are a lot of housing options around here, however, the market really heats up during mid-winter and most places are snatched up by the end of spring. I live in a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom single family home, big front/back/side yards, 2-car garage, and in a really nice community. My lease is $1,100 a month.

Do you mind sharing your stats?