Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Been complete for about 3-4 weeks and haven't heard anything from any of the VCOMs. Nobody picks up when I call, anybody know how long it takes to get an II after being complete?

Been complete for about 3-4 weeks and haven't heard anything from any of the VCOMs. Nobody picks up when I call, anybody know how long it takes to get an II after being complete?

i was complete 10/16 and got an II 10/23.

24 MCAT (8/7/9), 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, white, OOS/OOregion

not sure what to tell you about the calls, i haven't had any of those issues.
you calling 334-844-1928 for the auburn campus?

Members don't see this ad :)

FYI Jasmine Oliver is out of the office this week and will return next week. I know someone who has an interview Thursday of next week. If it is taking 2ish weeks to hear back, I imagine they will make the next round of decisions and interview invites the week before Thanksgiving.

FYI Jasmine Oliver is out of the office this week and will return next week. I know someone who has an interview Thursday of next week. If it is taking 2ish weeks to hear back, I imagine they will make the next round of decisions and interview invites the week before Thanksgiving.

That means maybe me with my 11/11 interview! Eeeeeeek

Hey guys I plan on having my primary sent off within the next two weeks. Stats are 3.39 cgpa, 3.11 sgpa, 8PS/7VR/6BS with a planned retake Dec 6th this year. I'm an in state applicant from a rural area and a high interest in primary care. Any idea on if I'll even be competitive?

Hey guys I plan on having my primary sent off within the next two weeks. Stats are 3.39 cgpa, 3.11 sgpa, 8PS/7VR/6BS with a planned retake Dec 6th this year. I'm an in state applicant from a rural area and a high interest in primary care. Any idea on if I'll even be competitive?

no idea, but it's late and you've got a low sGPA with a low MCAT and many schools won't process your app until your retake scores come in (auburn is not one of these schools, however. i know personally)

no idea, but it's late and you've got a low sGPA with a low MCAT and many schools won't process your app until your retake scores come in (auburn is not one of these schools, however. i know personally)

Are you saying this year's class will have lower than average matriculating stats?

Are you saying this year's class will have lower than average matriculating stats?

No, I have no basis for making that claim, and that isn't the claim I intended to put across.

I have a pending MCAT (11/7) and they already gave me an II which means they processed my app. Most schools will wait until your pending MCAT scores come in before processing your app. So, since I have a pending MCAT and they extended me an II, Auburn is not a school that waits for pending MCAT scores before processing.

¿Me comprende señor?

Reactions: 1 user
No, I have no basis for making that claim, and that isn't the claim I intended to put across.

I have a pending MCAT (11/7) and they already gave me an II which means they processed my app. Most schools will wait until your pending MCAT scores come in before processing your app. So, since I have a pending MCAT and they extended me an II, Auburn is not a school that waits for pending MCAT scores before processing.

¿Me comprende señor?

Gracias. Ahora entiendo mejor!

I thought you had further insight into the selection process than the rest of us =)

I am actually very excited about interviewing here. I have never been to the south so I am looking forward to exploring during my interview week.

Reactions: 1 users

I thought you had further insight into the selection process than the rest of us =)

I am actually very excited about interviewing here. I have never been to the south so I am looking forward to exploring during my interview week.

Make sure to let us know how it goes :) I am in ~2 weeks on 11/11

It will be a cultural experience. Make certain you try barbeque (BBQ) in multiple establishments. If you're here for a brief time, that's probably the best thing to help you understand why we are the way we are.

And the tea is sweetened at 2 cups of sugar/gallon of water. If that's all you ever drink, yes, it will contribute to early-onset diabetes. Think of it as....as a house wine. Especially since the weather's cooled off a bit.

It will be a cultural experience. Make certain you try barbeque (BBQ) in multiple establishments. If you're here for a brief time, that's probably the best thing to help you understand why we are the way we are.

And the tea is sweetened at 2 cups of sugar/gallon of water. If that's all you ever drink, yes, it will contribute to early-onset diabetes. Think of it as....as a house wine. Especially since the weather's cooled off a bit.

Haha! I love the advice. And I LOVE sweetened Iced Tea--- ChickFilA especially!

I have MANY friends from the south--Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana,Texas... I've just never been personally. I am coming in two days early just to roam around. My wife won't be with me, so I will have to take it all in and report back to her my appraisal of the brave new world when I return home =) Excited!

Members don't see this ad :)

Make sure you work pretty hard to get that MCAT up. I know Auburn is not as critical of a low MCAT...but a 21...that is going to hurt, especially with a lower sGPA. My sGPA is almost as low as your and they commented on it in the interview, but I have a decent MCAT so it seemed like it compensated some for the GPA. Just make sure you slay the MCAT when you take it. If not...better put in some podiatry apps or something!

Also, I was worried when I went to the interview because it seemed like they are very low on faculty, but I just talked to a Doctor from Kansas who is moving to Auburn and he says he has a few other friends and colleagues that will be moving to Auburn in the next 6 months or so to teach at the school-I'm not so worried about that anymore. He also attended VCOM-Virginia as the second class there and he said it was a great education, although there were some curriculum bumps. He felt confident Auburn wont really have that as the curriculum is already set up. Overall, the conversation helped me personally to feel much more secure about the school and the education provided. Hope this helps!

any other 11/11 interviews???

i'm landing in montgomery at 10:38AM and am renting a car, so if anybody would like to split with me that'd be great. i wouldn't mind waiting a few hours. (think they said it was a Chrysler 300... it was only like $50 too i was like wow nice haha.

also, i currently have a room at the econolodge, it's only a single bed, but i would call the hotel and see if they could change that if you would want to share a room to split the cost.

trad male applicant if that matters to you.

Last edited:
Where can I find the cheapest motel in Auburn?

i think the Motel 6 or Econo Lodge in Opelika are the cheapest (by $5-$10) if you plan on getting a rental car. If not, the Microtel Inn or Home-Towne Suites are both in Auburn (but idk distances from the meeting place) but I don't think either of those had breakfast. I made sure I got a place with breakfast so I didn't have to bother with bringing a bunch of granola bars, etc.

I chose to go with the cheaper places in Opelika and get a rental car so that if I wanted to explore, I could, and also because I didn't know about taxi availability and how much they would be. Plus the shuttle to and from Montgomery would have been more than a rental car.

When are you interviewing?

Driving from
i think the Motel 6 or Econo Lodge in Opelika are the cheapest (by $5-$10) if you plan on getting a rental car. If not, the Microtel Inn or Home-Towne Suites are both in Auburn (but idk distances from the meeting place) but I don't think either of those had breakfast. I made sure I got a place with breakfast so I didn't have to bother with bringing a bunch of granola bars, etc.

I chose to go with the cheaper places in Opelika and get a rental car so that if I wanted to explore, I could, and also because I didn't know about taxi availability and how much they would be. Plus the shuttle to and from Montgomery would have been more than a rental car.

When are you interviewing?

Driving from ATL today. Interview tomorrow. Address is 570 Devall Drive?

Driving from

Driving from ATL today. Interview tomorrow. Address is 570 Devall Drive?

yup that's correct. best of luck, please be sure to update us on your experience and on anything you think is pertinent about the interview or day itself

2ry0jz7.png

Wait, so you're saying the people who interviewed oct 16 and 23rd won't hear back until the week before thanksgiving?

Wait, so you're saying the people who interviewed oct 16 and 23rd won't hear back until the week before thanksgiving?
She told me we would probably hear back around November 5th. Committee is supposed to meet on 11/4.

She told me we would probably hear back around November 5th. Committee is supposed to meet on 11/4.

In our interview, they told us they are meeting the morning of November 5th and so it is possible we will find out that day in the afternoon or on the 6th. They will make all acceptance calls on the same day.

I think Jasmine is in the office today because she just responded to an email from me.

BTW if anyone else accesses their AACOMAS app and sees a message regarding Auburn being fully accredited now, etc no further action is needed, it is just a generic message on behalf of AACOMAS.

Microtel Inn & Suites on South College Street was $61 after it was all said and done--purchased via Hotwire. Econolodge is probably around the same and it sits right across the street. Both very close to campus.

A view of the building under construction today. The campus is gorgeous

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 64
Microtel Inn & Suites on South College Street was $61 after it was all said and done--purchased via Hotwire. Econolodge is probably around the same and it sits right across the street. Both very close to campus.

Yeah I stayed in the Econolodge in Opelika and it was like $37...super cheap, with a "breakfast" which was really just a few packaged muffins and some nasty koolaid stuff-but beats nothing!

so nobody else is on 11/11? :(

omg, can you imagine if you were the only interviewee on a day (i know it won't happen but still lol)
how nerve-wracking would that be???

so nobody else is on 11/11? :(

omg, can you imagine if you were the only interviewee on a day (i know it won't happen but still lol)
how nerve-wracking would that be???
Don't sweat it! Not every applicant knows about SDN. I only found out recently. Good luck next week!!

Don't sweat it! Not every applicant knows about SDN. I only found out recently. Good luck next week!!

i wasn't really thinking i'd be the only one. just wish there was another person on SDN so that we could either head out to dinner the night before or something to keep my mind off of the interview.

thanks though!

i wasn't really thinking i'd be the only one. just wish there was another person on SDN so that we could either head out to dinner the night before or something to keep my mind off of the interview.

thanks though!

If I didn't have 3 exams on Wednesday, I'd meet up with you. Good luck with your interview (still waiting on an II, but I wasn't complete until late last week).

I think UCBanned and I are the only locals.

I think UCBanned and I are the only locals.
:hello: how local? would i be able to meet up with you monday afternoon/evening or have you give me suggestions for places to get to? i land in montgomery around 11am and will be driving to auburn, checking into hotel and then have nothing to do basically.

I live about 45 minutes from campus, but it would be fun to hang out!

thanks though!
Ha! Yeah. I ate BBQ by myself the night before the interview... kind of lame.

How local? Three miles from campus LOL. I'd offer to meet up, but I work Monday night, have 3 exams on Wednesday and a research poster draft due by Friday (presenting at the SICB national conference in January).

I would drive to downtown Auburn and park in a metered space off of College/Magnolia. Grab a sandwich and lemonade at Toomer's Corner, then cross the street to look at the Auburn main campus. You will be close to the library, so I recommend checking it out; I understand that VCOM-Auburn students will have access to the library, but don't quote me on it. Note that this area is completely on the other side of campus from VCOM-Auburn; you'd have to drive to the VCOM-Auburn construction site.

After you've checked things out, drive THROUGH campus (e.g. take College Street south, turn right on Thatch, turn left on Mel, right on Samford, left on Donahue for the scenic tour) and visit the VCOM-Auburn construction site (it will be about half of a mile on your right as you drive down Donahue). After you've seen the new site, continue down Donahue and turn right on College Street. This will take you south of the college and into an area full of restaurants and local businesses. After you've checked that area out ... and BTW I recommend just driving up and down College to appraise the various options ... head east on University drive to get a glimpse of local housing/communities. Turn right onto Moore's Mill for more of the same and then left on Hamilton. You will end up at Tiger Town. Tiger Town is a large retail/restaurant area where you will find a Home Depot, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc., along with several dining options. I would grab a dinner at Newk's just to people watch and get a feeling for the community. Find your way back to your hotel.

Your VCOM tour will show you some of the local sites, so the above is designed to give you a different perspective of the city. There isn't a whole lot going on during weeknights, especially next week (most of us have exams next week or the week after). The local "hotspot" is Skybar right across from campus.

Note that it gets dark at around 5:30PM and that it's been really cold at night. If you plan to walk around at night time, definitely have a sweater and a coat.

Bonus: here is a Web cam for Toomer's Corner (corner of Magnolia and College). The camera is located on top of the lemonade place I mentioned before.

http://www.auburnalabama.org/cams/Toomers/

Hope this helps.

I agree with this mostly. You must get in your car and drive to Opelika and get a short chili dog from Mrs. Story's Dairy Bar. It's at 1900 Pepperell Pkwy. You'd do well to order a banana split in a cup too. Take it from the fat girl. ;) I was born and raised in Opelika, and Mrs. Story's is an institution. Newk's is ok, but Momma Goldberg's is the best place to people watch IMHO. Otherwise, pretty good advice.

If you end up in downtown Opelika, then take Opelika Blvd. back toward main campus. Check out the living areas off of Ross and Opelika; lots of grad students live in this area. Speaking of living areas, the communities around the Longleaf/Donahue intersection are also popular with grad students. You could easily swing by there if you're driving up/down College Street.

Great advice! Any recommendations as to checking out local rental property prices? Are there "bad" areas in Auburn that we would be good to stay out of? I didn't see any, but I am not sure if I saw all of Auburn or not.

I'd stay off the Dean/Samford area simply because the primary school/high school/jr. high traffic is nightmarish at certain times. I'm not as familiar with good/bad areas though.

Great advice! Any recommendations as to checking out local rental property prices? Are there "bad" areas in Auburn that we would be good to stay out of? I didn't see any, but I am not sure if I saw all of Auburn or not.

I did a ton of research before moving here with my wife. You can find a lot of information online. We ended up in a nice family community off of Moore's Mill and Ogletree. This is what I came up with in my research; though there are definitely nice areas outside of this red boundary:

Attachments

• map.png
    map.png
    294.1 KB · Views: 39
I'd stay off the Dean/Samford area simply because the primary school/high school/jr. high traffic is nightmarish at certain times. I'm not as familiar with good/bad areas though.

Honestly I would find an area south of campus; it will be closer to VCOM-Auburn and below all of the Auburn morning traffic. I highly recommend the longleaf/donahue area.

As for Dean/Samford ... I drive through that every day; my wife and I have an agreement that we will not take 8AM classes just so that we can avoid that area during morning rush hour LOL.

AHHH so much to do lol.

Anyone getting freaked out that we're supposed to hear back tomorrow? I'm at work right now, and I can't even concentrate. I basically work on a PRN, as-needed basis, and I told them I would be unavailable tomorrow. I figure that whether in joy or sorrow, I'm going to be drinking a few tomorrow night. :p

Anyone getting freaked out that we're supposed to hear back tomorrow? I'm at work right now, and I can't even concentrate. I basically work on a PRN, as-needed basis, and I told them I would be unavailable tomorrow. I figure that whether in joy or sorrow, I'm going to be drinking a few tomorrow night. :p

did you interview 10/23? just trying to estimate a timeline for a decision on my interview next tuesday 11/11

did they tell you a specific day or an estimate?

Oh man, I remember this feeling so much. It wasn't helpful that some people got calls on one day and then they made more calls the next day. I was sure I hadn't gotten in. Good luck!