Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aww nobody else picked 9/28???

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be there 9/28! Have ever been to Auburn before?

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be there 9/28! Have ever been to Auburn before?

Cool! Yup, I'm from Montgomery. Plus my best friend went to Auburn for graduate school so I was there every couple of months. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure have...went there for undergrad. I'm gonna probably drive down Sat the 26. We do play miss state at home that day too. Hmmm

When you guys were invited for interviews did you receive an email or did you have to check online?

You should get a phone call and then an email a short time later.

I'm a student in the inaugural class at VCOM-Auburn, so I'm happy to shed some light here:
VCOM is located just south of the 'traditional campus' and is less than a 1/4mi from Jordan-Hare stadium. Have a look at Google Maps if you're inclined to get a better idea of where everything is located. The building is AWESOME. If you get the chance to come and visit, please do! The building is open M-F 8-5 for any visitors, and there's guest parking right in front of the building.
Speaking about the campus involvement, we're all pretty excited about it. You are entered into the student lottery (equivalent to a freshman) for the chance to buy football tickets. You can get full season or a partial (2 game) package, depending on your luck. In the future, we should be registered as grad students and will have a better chance at all being able to get tickets if we like. For this year, VCOM actually provided tickets for 2 home games for each student!
Also, we are able to play in the campus intramural leagues and can use the Auburn Student Rec Center (which is the bomb!) for free. IIRC, its one of the nicest in the nation and really has to be seen to be believed. 240,000sqft of pure awesomeness!
The entire city seems pretty excited to have us here. In fact, I've been stopped twice since school began because I was wearing my VCOM swag around town.

If I'm not mistaken, we have approximately 400 spots in our lot for students. Should be plenty for both 1st and 2nd year students (~160 per class). Also, they're still working out the details, but we should be keeping all of our spots on game day. Personally, I think I might be 'selling' my parking spot... $$$ Haha!
Also, I think we'll be able to tailgate on the property too on gameday... but that, like many things, are still in the works.

Again, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or to comment on here. I'll try to check back every now, as my studies allow, to get you all the information you need.
Good luck, everyone!!!

I just checked my portal and it appears I got a II for the Auburn campus! This is odd since I havent gotten an email or call about it. For the current students, what is the outlook on rotations and clinical sites? I was reading that ACOM has much stronger affiliations than VCOM in Alabama (something about OPTI - whatever that is).

I'm a student in the inaugural class at VCOM-Auburn, so I'm happy to shed some light here:
VCOM is located just south of the 'traditional campus' and is less than a 1/4mi from Jordan-Hare stadium. Have a look at Google Maps if you're inclined to get a better idea of where everything is located. The building is AWESOME. If you get the chance to come and visit, please do! The building is open M-F 8-5 for any visitors, and there's guest parking right in front of the building.
Speaking about the campus involvement, we're all pretty excited about it. You are entered into the student lottery (equivalent to a freshman) for the chance to buy football tickets. You can get full season or a partial (2 game) package, depending on your luck. In the future, we should be registered as grad students and will have a better chance at all being able to get tickets if we like. For this year, VCOM actually provided tickets for 2 home games for each student!
Also, we are able to play in the campus intramural leagues and can use the Auburn Student Rec Center (which is the bomb!) for free. IIRC, its one of the nicest in the nation and really has to be seen to be believed. 240,000sqft of pure awesomeness!
The entire city seems pretty excited to have us here. In fact, I've been stopped twice since school began because I was wearing my VCOM swag around town.

If I'm not mistaken, we have approximately 400 spots in our lot for students. Should be plenty for both 1st and 2nd year students (~160 per class). Also, they're still working out the details, but we should be keeping all of our spots on game day. Personally, I think I might be 'selling' my parking spot... $$$ Haha!
Also, I think we'll be able to tailgate on the property too on gameday... but that, like many things, are still in the works.

Again, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or to comment on here. I'll try to check back every now, as my studies allow, to get you all the information you need.
Good luck, everyone!!!

Do you know where the clinical rotations will be and how they'll make assignments?
Also, if you were also accepted to ACOM, how did you decide between the two?

I just checked my portal and it appears I got a II for the Auburn campus! This is odd since I havent gotten an email or call about it. For the current students, what is the outlook on rotations and clinical sites? I was reading that ACOM has much stronger affiliations than VCOM in Alabama (something about OPTI - whatever that is).
To be honest, I've only heard the 'ACOM has stronger affiliations' line from two places: speculation on SDN forums and ACOM themselves, during my interview. That statement is not meant to diminish these concerns, mind you, but noticing this fact provided me with some reassurance in the bigger picture.
AFAIK, there are at least 50 hospitals in the state that are currently unused for medical training. The clinical faculty and related administration were one of the first people hired by VCOM-Auburn and for good reason: For almost a year now, they have been contacting and organizing both major and minor clinical rotations in state. Preceptors are still being lined up, yes, but my guess is that the core rotation sites are already set. I will try to find that information for you as soon as I can and post it here.

Do you know where the clinical rotations will be and how they'll make assignments?
Also, if you were also accepted to ACOM, how did you decide between the two?
I was waitlisted for 3 weeks after my ACOM interview. I had previously been accepted by VCOM. After giving it some thought (and receiving a few thoughtful PMs from SDN forum users) I decided that my concerns about being in the inaugural class carried less weight than my concerns about Dothan being a bit too 'out in the sticks' for my taste. Their on-campus housing situation was a little odd in my mind, and I also got a bad taste in my mouth when myself and other interviewees were 'pimped' about causes of chest pain during a post-interview summary by the dean. A little weird and slightly off-putting.
ACOM definitely won major points with their dress code though (business casual OR scrubs allowed in lecture, compared to VCOM's business casual only) but it hasn't proven to be a hindrance for anyone so far. Personally, khakis pants and an untucked polo work fine and haven't raised any dress code violations yet. Also, ACOM's building is open 24-7 while VCOM's isn't. Again, this hasn't proven to be a problem. If you're studying past midnight, you probably aren't retaining much anyway (and you shouldn't be cramming anything). If you do want to be a study-all-night kind of student, the Auburn campus library is open 24-7 and is less than a mile away and has adequate parking.

In the 6 weeks we've had here so far, I've found two things that make me really glad I chose VCOM:
1) During our first week (and random subsequent weeks to follow) my studies were interrupted by a professor as personally doled out high-fives and reassurances to everyone who was occupying the library and study rooms. It was a big confidence booster, to be honest, and it made me smile. Also, you will run across your professors in the halls throughout the day and, assuming they're not busy, it's common for them to ask how you're doing with your classes. It seems that these questions aren't asked flippantly, as I've been given the chance to speak my mind. Combined with the mentor system, where every student is assigned to two different professors who will coordinate with you about your grades, study habits, and can offer guidance as needed, I feel like we really have a solid safety net around us as we continue with our studies.
2) I got sick this week. It sucked. Fortunately, VCOM has coordinated with the Auburn University Health Clinic and allows us to be seen as students. I made my 4pm appointment during my lunch break. I was in and out in an hour - including a CBC and flu test - and picked up my prescription at the in-house pharmacy. Everyone was polite, helpful, and extremely professional. I felt like crap when I left, but I was very happy with the service that I received. To top it off, you can make and change appointments easily online. It's just nice to not have to worry about this kind of thing when you have so much studying to do...

On the subject of clinical rotations, I'm going to make an effort to talk to administration and find out the most correct and up-to-date data for you all. The VCOM website isn't notorious for updating information (similar to every academic institution I've attended), so I'll try to post that up here as soon as I can find out, as mentioned above. Also, if you're itching to know immediately, you could also call the school and ask for that information.
In terms of assignments, I'm not sure about how in-state assignments will work, but my class will be going through that before you will. I do know that the 3 VCOM campuses allow you to change out with students at other campuses. This is more of a need-based assignment, however, and would likely favor those who have strong ties (family, significant other, etc.) to an area that is covered by either the Carolinas or Virginia clinical network. You literally have two years to talk to the administration about this once you start classes, so IMO, I don't think this should be a deciding factor for most of the current applicants.

Finally, let me reiterate: I fully believe that 95% of any and all clinical hiccups (and I do believe they will only be hiccups) will be sorted out by my class, at least a year before you have to worry about it. We all 'signed up' to be guinea pigs as members of the first class. So far, only insignificant issues (IMO) have arisen. Of these issues, the administration has gone out of their way to discuss and address the concerns we've had as a class. I do not doubt that this same level of attentiveness (or better) will be applied during our collective forray into the clinical aspect of our education.
My class will be going through this process before you will. I'm not worried. I don't think you should be either.

P.S. The best way to get a response from me is to quote one of my posts for a public response or to send me a PM. I don't want to miss out on some helpful information for you guys just because I didn't get a notification.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Got the call for II today! Very excited to visit this campus and see what VCOM has to offer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an additional letter from a DO that I would like to send along before my interview. It's currently on Interfolio - can anybody guide me in getting it sent to the school? :) What email or physical address do I use? Thanks!

II phone call yesterday! Excited to see what VCOM has to offer!

I have an additional letter from a DO that I would like to send along before my interview. It's currently on Interfolio - can anybody guide me in getting it sent to the school? :) What email or physical address do I use? Thanks!
Were you able to find it? Search "auburn" in the institution list and it comes up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured it out, thank you! Searched a variety of "Edward" and "vias" before I realized that my iPad wasn't showing results for any schools. Repeated on a PC, worked fine :)

Anyone else having problems contacting the campus? I have been unable to reach anyone for the last two days

Here's a question..

I'm considering applying, but only because they have the "last 120 hours will be considered" thing. My cumulative gpa is barely 3.0 but my last 120 hours is 3.8 and my science gpa 3.75. Do i even bother applying? I would just hope they would seriously look at that last 120... :fingers crossed:

Anyone interviewing here Oct. 1st? I'm super excited. I'm an Auburn alumni. Auburn is such a great place to live! I was surprised to be getting one so soon here or at all honestly. I didn't even get a 2nd last year. I improved my MCAT from a 23 to a 502, but I'm not taking any classes. Apparently that was good enough for them!

Quick facts for anyone curious
3.54 GPA
3.3 sciGPA
502 MCAT
Auburn alumni (doubt it matters)
Good ECs (3 AED positions while in undergrad)
ER Scribe

Interviewed here today and it was absolutely amazing! Everyone in the admissions office was super friendly. There were actually 3 interviews (I thought there were 2) but the 30 minutes flew by. My interviewers were well matched and knew my application. Of course they asked the basic why vcom, why d.o, and why do you want to be a doctor. The other questions were very much tailored to my experiences and personal statement. My interviewers were so encouraging and made it very conversational. The building is gorgeous and they have the most up-to-date technology. I really excited about this school!

Reactions: 2 users
Here's a question..

I'm considering applying, but only because they have the "last 120 hours will be considered" thing. My cumulative gpa is barely 3.0 but my last 120 hours is 3.8 and my science gpa 3.75. Do i even bother applying? I would just hope they would seriously look at that last 120... :fingers crossed:

I say go for it! If you have a strong upward trend they will take that into consideration.

I'm having trouble getting a DO letter together. I'll have one from an MD, however. Does VCOM provide an opportunity to receive a letter through them, somehow? Seems weird, but I feel as if I've heard of such a thing, before.

I'm having trouble getting a DO letter together. I'll have one from an MD, however. Does VCOM provide an opportunity to receive a letter through them, somehow? Seems weird, but I feel as if I've heard of such a thing, before.

I think it said if admitted you have 30 days to get a DO letter. I would go ahead and work on getting one. Call the DO school in your area (if there is one) and ask them about possible shadowing opportunities. That's how I found a great osteopathic physician to shadow. Best of luck.

II today! I will be driving or flying from Dallas, TX for Oct 16 interview. Anyone interviewing on this date? Any advice for interview? What is the format? THANKS!

II today! I will be driving or flying from Dallas, TX for Oct 16 interview. Anyone interviewing on this date? Any advice for interview? What is the format? THANKS!
I'm flying from Texas too for Oct 14! Do you go to UG in state?

I'm flying from Texas too for Oct 14! Do you go to UG in state?
I actually went to FAU in south FL and I am considered a florida resident. currently living in Dallas (my hometown).
Which airline/airports are you using? I know there are a couple options. its a 10 hour drive from dallas, so was thinking of just doing that and save some money but that is pretty far.

I actually went to FAU in south FL and I am considered a florida resident. currently living in Dallas (my hometown).
Which airline/airports are you using? I know there are a couple options. its a 10 hour drive from dallas, so was thinking of just doing that and save some money but that is pretty far.
Flying American from DFW to Montgomery and then driving the hour with a rental. That's a long drive, but if you have the time it would be worth the money saved!

Know your application! Almost every question was about me, what I've done, and what I plan to do. So just be prepared to do that.

The day started with an introduction by the admissions office and then a Q&A session. Then we went on a driving tour of the campus which did a lot to calm my nerves (you'll see why!). Then 3 thirty minute interviews, one d.o, one phd, and one biomedical sciences person. Super laid back and conversational.

Next was lunch with current med students and they gave us a quick tour of the building. Last was a short presentation by financial aid and we took pictures to go along with the applications.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to all 3 VCOMS and was complete in Mid July...still no secondary. Is anyone else experiencing this? The complete email said it could take 3 months to get a secondary... but I'm wondering if this is a silent rejection.

Know your application! Almost every question was about me, what I've done, and what I plan to do. So just be prepared to do that.

The day started with an introduction by the admissions office and then a Q&A session. Then we went on a driving tour of the campus which did a lot to calm my nerves (you'll see why!). Then 3 thirty minute interviews, one d.o, one phd, and one biomedical sciences person. Super laid back and conversational.

Next was lunch with current med students and they gave us a quick tour of the building. Last was a short presentation by financial aid and we took pictures to go along with the applications.
driving tour of the undergrad Auburn campus?

Ahhh thank you so much, this calmed my nerves a lot too lol. Did you have to like repeat yourself much? Since you had 3 separate interviews or did they each ask you about different things on your application? I appreciate your help!!

I applied to all 3 VCOMS and was complete in Mid July...still no secondary. Is anyone else experiencing this? The complete email said it could take 3 months to get a secondary... but I'm wondering if this is a silent rejection.
Are you serious? I thought they automatically send secondaries to everyone?

Ahhh thank you so much, this calmed my nerves a lot too lol. Did you have to like repeat yourself much? Since you had 3 separate interviews or did they each ask you about different things on your application? I appreciate your help!!

Haha yes a few times I did. Each of them asked about different things. But it all came back around to your interest, background, ambition, etc so you end up repeating yourself. You're very welcome! :)

driving tour of the undergrad Auburn campus?

Yuppers, undergrad pedestrians were slightly at risk. Lol! She basically showed us the trophy room, undergrad library, student health, places students hang out etc.

Are you serious? I thought they automatically send secondaries to everyone?

Somewhere on the website it says that your application undergoes an "initial review". However, I received my secondary the day after being verified so idk how accurate that is.

Somewhere on the website it says that your application undergoes an "initial review". However, I received my secondary the day after being verified so idk how accurate that is.

I'm going to email them I think. Maybe I slipped through the cracks. Thanks.

It's not technically silent but it pretty much is. I just had an interview on Friday. Great school BTW. I applied last year and I didn't get a denial on my 2nd until the cycle had ended. It just told me to improve my MCAT/GPA.

To anyone that's interviewed, did they tell you how soon after they would make a decision?

To anyone that's interviewed, did they tell you how soon after they would make a decision?

They try to meet every two weeks and we should know something within 3 weeks. Hopefully it will be sooner

Im dyin here. Were you guys first group?

Yea, maybe even more than 2 groups. There were only like 8 people in my group so that would make sense.

Just got the phone call! Accepted!!!!

Ahhhhhhh accepted!!!! So excited!

Interviewed here today and it was absolutely amazing! Everyone in the admissions office was super friendly. There were actually 3 interviews (I thought there were 2) but the 30 minutes flew by. My interviewers were well matched and knew my application. Of course they asked the basic why vcom, why d.o, and why do you want to be a doctor. The other questions were very much tailored to my experiences and personal statement. My interviewers were so encouraging and made it very conversational. The building is gorgeous and they have the most up-to-date technology. I really excited about this school!

Do you remember how long the interview day was? The interview portal says 9-3pm. Im worried since the only departing flight I can book from Columbus airport leaves at 530pm (that is 1 hour away from VCOM)

Do you remember how long the interview day was? The interview portal says 9-3pm. Im worried since the only departing flight I can book from Columbus airport leaves at 530pm (that is 1 hour away from VCOM)
We were done around 2...depends on how many are in your group and how long each interview takes.

We were done around 2...depends on how many are in your group and how long each interview takes.

Thank you for answering, I couldve sworn the interview page said 9-3 but the itinerary they emailed me after confirming a date is 9-2pm