Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! I got the call today while I was in the interview at ACOM haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How does VCOM compare to ACOM?
I am from Dothan and have toured ACOM and recently got accepted to VCOM. I personally think that VCOM is a better fit for me even though ACOM would be more convenient for me. It's going to come down to personal preference and what school fits best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have interviewed, what are some things that stood out to you about VCOM-Auburn? I know its a relatively new school and I am hoping to learn more about its curriculum and rotation sites.

Thanks!

For those of you who have interviewed, what are some things that stood out to you about VCOM-Auburn? I know its a relatively new school and I am hoping to learn more about its curriculum and rotation sites.

Thanks!
I talked a little about this in the post above...was there something more specific you wanted to know?

Facebook page has been created for accepted students! VCOM Auburn Class of 2020 is the name

Reactions: 1 users
Still waiting on my paperwork to get here but I think I was told dec 14th and its 1500.00

Hi @jtm0021 , I was in your ACOM group! ;) I was also accepted to VCOM! To those who asked for a comparison, both schools were very similar and IMO had a lot to offer! I was extremely impressed with the resources available at ACOM (they pay for your COMLEX, all textbooks are available online, you're provided with a MacBook and an iPad mini for class, extensive prep materials for boards online) and I was also really, really excited about how incredibly friendly and communicative the people all were at VCOM! I felt like Auburn was a slightly better fit for me, town-wise, than Dothan, but both were excellent locations for a medical school. On the VCOM side, I was comforted to know that although they were new, they had several other successful campuses to lean on and a history of producing great physicians. Personally I loved VCOM, but if ACOM accepts me as well it will be a tough decision! The older DO schools are going to have a run for their money with these guys ;)

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by VCOM - Auburn? Never realized the strong support system they have from the two other branch campuses until I interviewed here. I was really impressed with their anatomy lab and simulation center. In comparison to ACOM, can anyone comment on the strength of the clinical rotations? I feel like ACOM benefits from having the ~500 bed SAMC hospital literally down the street whereas VCOM-Auburn seems a bit iffy right now on when it comes to clinical rotations, other than having choices from the already established sites from the 2 other branch campuses. Also ACOM allows a few selective/elective opportunities in the 3rd year whereas VCOM does not.

Anyone else pleasantly surprised by VCOM - Auburn? Never realized the strong support system they have from the two other branch campuses until I interviewed here. I was really impressed with their anatomy lab and simulation center. In comparison to ACOM, can anyone comment on the strength of the clinical rotations? I feel like ACOM benefits from having the ~500 bed SAMC hospital literally down the street whereas VCOM-Auburn seems a bit iffy right now on when it comes to clinical rotations, other than having choices from the already established sites from the 2 other branch campuses. Also ACOM allows a few selective/elective opportunities in the 3rd year whereas VCOM does not.

I do not comment on here much, but I have been accepted to ACOM and VCOM Auburn. I was very impressed with each school and what they have to offer. ACOM has about 15 core clinical sites set up through the Alabama Medical Education Consortium, with SAMC being one of them. VCOM Auburn has 6 core sites I believe with East Alabama Medical Center and Jack Hughston Memorial being two of those that I know for sure. Even though I am from Auburn and have strong ties to the area and the university, I am leaning towards ACOM because of the clinical sites that they do have. I was very impressed with VCOM Auburn, but I also feel that you get more for your tuition at ACOM. My concerns with ACOM being a new program with no graduates yet were alleviated when they mentioned their board pass rate at the interview and they also mentioned that the physicians that are working with the 3rd year ACOM students have been very impressed and said that they are far ahead of their peers from UAB/USA. The link below is a pdf and the core sites for ACOM are near the last few pages.

http://www.acomedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/2015-2016_Clinical_Clerkship_Manual.pdf

ACOM is an outlier in that they already had clinical sites set up before the school opened. I think we just need to give VCOM a little bit of time.

http://aloma.org/stand/

Just an interesting article from the Alabama Osteopathic assoc. I know it is an old article and I'm guessing they have since thrown in their support. If you go to their website you will see they have a banner that says they support both state osteopathic schools. I know alot of physicians and have shadowed them who are active in ALOMA and haven't had a chance to ask them about what happened? BTW as someone who applied to medical school three times I completely disagree with point number 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here today and it was incredible. Beautiful campus, including auburn. The rec center was SOO HUGE it was just another perk of the school. My interview group was awesome we all had a great time it felt more like hanging out than a medical school interview. Also met current students who were sooooo helpful and nice and seemed excited to have us there. The 3 interviews were SO relaxed and the faculty was extremely helpful and nice, answered all our questions and concerns with confidence. The simulation lab and anatomy labs are high tech and BRAND new. Completely fell in love with this school, considering canceling other interviews if I get in!!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call for an II yesterday and I am so excited. This school is definitely my top choice! They said to keep an eye out for the email but I have yet to get it. I would love to here everyones experience in their three interviews. Anything helps! Thanks guys.

Got the call for an II yesterday and I am so excited. This school is definitely my top choice! They said to keep an eye out for the email but I have yet to get it. I would love to here everyones experience in their three interviews. Anything helps! Thanks guys.
Check your junk mail...that's where mine went. Interview were very laid back. They just ask you a few questions and you talk back and forth. Nothing to freak out about. Just be yourself.

When were you complete if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

I was complete September 18th

Did you or anybody else receive a complete email from them? I submitted my secondary about a month ago and haven't received any info yet.

Thank you so much!

Did you or anybody else receive a complete email from them? I submitted my secondary about a month ago and haven't received any info yet.

Thank you so much!
I got the "complete" email a month and a half after I submitted :(

For accepted folks, how do we do our background checks? I went to the vcom.edu/2020 and it didn't work. As far as I know of that is the only thing that is required right now? When is the deposit due?

For accepted folks, how do we do our background checks? I went to the vcom.edu/2020 and it didn't work. As far as I know of that is the only thing that is required right now? When is the deposit due?
You will get a letter showing your deposit due date...depends on when you are accepted...Mine is dec 15...I haven't been able to log into the site either...keeps saying server is not responding...I'll check on that with jasmine

For those who had there interview already in mid October, do you remember when admissions said they would give out acceptances?

I interviewed oct 16 and was accepted via phone call today!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Interviewed earlier that week...hope they aren't done with acceptances!

I'm in your boat too! I interviewed 10/13... Hoping they have acceptance letters left to hand out! Kind of (even more) nervous now!

I just want to to pipe in here for a second and drop a little tip. I'm a member of the class of 2019, and I've had the pleasure of meeting a few interviewees so far. Don't be afraid to shake it up a little bit with your attire. Everyone seems stuck on the black suit/white shirt/conservative tie. Even the chicks. This is a nice look, but I honestly can't distinguish one from another. Don't be afraid to add a little color. Especially any orange and blue you can integrate. We LOVE our team here and we are big on the school colors. At my interview, I wore some pretty loud colors, but I still looked professional. It might be the one thing that makes you stand out. Good luck!!!

I just got an interview invite this morning. I went to fill out the interview update form and I'm a little confused by one of the questions. Hopefully someone can help. What is meant by: Also please supply VCOM with a listing of your courses and grades NOW, prior to your interview. We will accept a grade report or unofficial transcript from you now BUT YOU MUST also supply AACOMAS with an official transcript to update your profile:

Do they want the current classes were taking and like the midterm grade listed?

I just got an interview invite this morning. I went to fill out the interview update form and I'm a little confused by one of the questions. Hopefully someone can help. What is meant by: Also please supply VCOM with a listing of your courses and grades NOW, prior to your interview. We will accept a grade report or unofficial transcript from you now BUT YOU MUST also supply AACOMAS with an official transcript to update your profile:

Congrats ! When were you complete

What I did for mine was just list my current classes and next semester's registered classes (my university lets us register a full year out). I also sent AACOMAS an updated transcript only for the reason that I took a summer class And received a grade not on my application . Finally, I emailed Mrs. Oliver quick to make sure that was all they needed and she said I was fine. I'd suggest doing something like that? Hope this helps!

For those who got an interview, did you see a status change on the portal? Mine's still at "VCOM invitation for secondary", but the submission date for secondary was Oct 8. :(

For current students, are there any words on possible rotations? I've heard Crestwood, EAMC, Hughston and Gadsden are the Alabama sites.

I interviewed here and had a very positive experience. I'm definitely attending if I get accepted. The atmosphere was great, the people were great, and Auburn is a great place to live. The interviews were mostly casual and open file. They talked about your goals, why VCOM, why DO, how do you feel about our mission etc. I say it was mostly casual because 1 of my interviewers seemed intimidating but that might be just me.

I will say it's important to grab coffee and breakfast before heading to VCOM because food isn't served until lunch. Also Atlanta and Columbus airports are in a different time zone than Auburn. They are 1 hour ahead so plan accordingly.

yay! got my secondary from VCOM-Auburn this morning! I am really impressed with the speed of the admissions dept. Primary was submitted Oct 14th, verified Oct 30th, and secondary Nov. 2nd. wow! Perhaps the Royals winning the world Series gave some luck. Going to do my best at submitting the secondary today! i'm sure someone posted the questions on here. Have a great day! also, my friend Chelsea goes to this school and has such positive things to say about it. Hopefully I get an interview so I can relate!

I have some pretty decent stats (3.3, 33 MCAT) and haven't heard back from them in a while. Complete Oct. 4, engage panic mode or no?

For those of you already accepted, CONGRATS!!! You can be picky about interviews elsewhere.

For those of you applying or waiting on interview day, my best advice is so generic-- be yourself, be positive, be real, ask questions... they already saw something in your application that stood out (and I guarantee it was more than your stats)

I am a transplant to the south, and I love VCOM-Auburn and I am very happy to be a part of the inaugural class.

yay! got my secondary from VCOM-Auburn this morning! I am really impressed with the speed of the admissions dept. Primary was submitted Oct 14th, verified Oct 30th, and secondary Nov. 2nd. wow! Perhaps the Royals winning the world Series gave some luck. Going to do my best at submitting the secondary today! i'm sure someone posted the questions on here. Have a great day! also, my friend Chelsea goes to this school and has such positive things to say about it. Hopefully I get an interview so I can relate!
Do you mind share your stats?
My primary was verified September 18th but so far heard nothing from either campus.... :(

Still no II. Panic Mode: Engaged

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

FYI, I did the background. Go to precheck.com and there should be a tab that says students on the front page. There is another click in there someplace and then it will give you the option to pick Edward Via COM. Getcha 67.50 ready too.