Edward Via - Carolina Campus (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any other way to know of an acceptance other than a phone call? I missed a call from there today because I was at work. And will be again tomorrow 8-4 so I'm not sure I'll be able to get in contact with them. For reference, I interviewed 12/8 and got a missed call this afternoon from admissions. Do they call for denials?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! I got a call today but was at work and missed it. Hopefully it's the same news as yours!
I would imagine they wouldn't call if you weren't accepted, but I could be wrong. I would take it as a good sign.

Me too! I got a call today but was at work and missed it. Hopefully it's the same news as yours!
Bug girl is that you?? Im sure it was an acceptance! They also sent an email.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am applying this cycle and was wondering do you guys think I get an interview

In undergrad I have a 3.4 GPA with a science GPA of 3.2 but I am in a masters of biomedical science and have a 4.0 now

My MCAT is a 496

And I am URM from out of state. With lots of extra curricular, research and shadow experience

Thank you!

I have some questions for any current students that may be on this thread!

What are a few of your favorite things about VCOM-CC that made you want to go there for medical school? A lot of other schools are associated with a bigger campus that may include an undergrad or other graduate programs. Do you like the smaller campus feel where it's only the DO school?

Also, I know that 99% of our time as students will be spent studying, but do classmates tend to hangout together outside of school?

I was accepted on December 10th! Does anyone know when the deposit is due to save our seat and where I can submit that?

Thanks guys!

I was accepted on December 10th! Does anyone know when the deposit is due to save our seat and where I can submit that?

Thanks guys!
Congrats! A formal letter comes in the mail with all of your instructions :) You will have an envelope addressed for your deposit to be returned! Also join our FB group :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some questions for any current students that may be on this thread!

What are a few of your favorite things about VCOM-CC that made you want to go there for medical school? A lot of other schools are associated with a bigger campus that may include an undergrad or other graduate programs. Do you like the smaller campus feel where it's only the DO school?

Also, I know that 99% of our time as students will be spent studying, but do classmates tend to hangout together outside of school?

A few of my favorite things about this school was the faculty and the students. Everyone seems to be on the same page and there to help each other succeed and I liked that. It is such a warm environment and I didn't realize just how nice that was until visiting here compared to other schools. I think they also have a great program, that I feel prepares students for the medical field. They have excellent mission programs. I also liked that research was a big focus here. All around I felt like they were just doing a great job.
I think the campus thing is a personal preference. I come from a huge campus and I love it and would like to be on a campus with other programs, but at the same time it doesnt really matter to me ? so that wasn't a big factor for me.
From the people I know that attend here, they do hang out outside of class quite a bit. Their classmates have become their closest friends.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I recently submitted my secondary here. OOS. Do I have a shot at an interview?

Last edited:
Hey current students and those that have interviewed, what are your favorite things about this school? I'm trying to decide whether or not to accept an interview invite and I honestly just don't know much about this school. Thanks!

Hey current students and those that have interviewed, what are your favorite things about this school? I'm trying to decide whether or not to accept an interview invite and I honestly just don't know much about this school. Thanks!
When did you get the interview invite?
When were you complete and stats/LizzyM?

If I pay the deposit to save my seat, are my other apps automatically withdrawn? I want to save my seat at VCOM but have a lot of other schools to hear back from yet and would like an answer rather than just withdrawing my app. Thanks!

When did you get the interview invite?
When were you complete and stats/LizzyM?

Got the invite this past week, was complete 10/20, lizzym = 70.

I already have one acceptance and I just wanted to know more about the school before I spend more money and take time off work and all that...

Got the invite this past week, was complete 10/20, LizzyM = 70.

I already have one acceptance and I just wanted to know more about the school before I spend more money and take time off work and all that...

I would really suggest looking at the online yearbook. It has soooo much info about the students and the school and the curriculum, etc. It was really helpful.

If I pay the deposit to save my seat, are my other apps automatically withdrawn? I want to save my seat at VCOM but have a lot of other schools to hear back from yet and would like an answer rather than just withdrawing my app. Thanks!

No, you just lose your money if you decide to go elsewhere. Other schools won't even know that you paid the deposit at vcom though.

Got the invite this past week, was complete 10/20, LizzyM = 70.

I decided not to attend here but I'll tell you about interview day. The campus is very nice but only 1 big building. Spartanburg is a very small town but very close to Greenville which is super nice and trendy. The hospital in Spartanburg was also a very nice hospital but if I remember correctly only about 100 beds and only level 3 or 2 trauma so you won't get all the bad car wrecks and stuff (but you can rotate at other places where you will see that) the class is 85% mandatory attendance for each block and you must dress business casual at all times (no jeans allowed) they have some awesome connections with clinics in Dominican Republic and a couple other international sites that most students rotate through at some point and say they get great exposure and hands on work there. The rotation sites are spread out through the Appalachian area but it seems like you get to stay in one spot for the entire 3rd year instead of moving for each rotation. They get 1 week off between each block which I thought was really nice to relax. But they also have tests every single Monday which I didn't like because even in med school Id like to have some family and friends time on weekends. That's about all I can think of right now but if you have specific questions about interview day I can tell you what I know

Reactions: 1 users
Spartanburg regional has about 580 beds*

It is also a level 1 trauma, one of 4 in the state.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the interview? Thanks in advance!

Be yourself, I know it sounds cliche but it's true. Let your passion for medicine shine through and show who you are! Good luck :)

Remain calm. Be yourself. Be able to explain why your experiences influenced you to go into medicine and what you've learned/how you've matured from those experiences. Know your weak areas and why they are weak but also what you have learned from them. But seriously - be yourself. I got a couple of odd, think-on-your-feet questions about myself, which although my answers were kind of quirky (and instantly regretted some of my answers because I was like, "they probably think I am so weird"), they were me. That's who I am. And they loved it. Don't think, "how would a medical student answer this question". Just answer it honestly.

What kind of shape am I in if I'm getting my secondary in just now?

3.58/3.35/510
700 hrs clinical
200 non-clinical
very good LORs

What kind of shape am I in if I'm getting my secondary in just now?

3.58/3.35/510
700 hrs clinical
200 non-clinical
very good LORs

Did you just receive it? If you've had it for a while and are just now sending it, that definitely won't look good

Did you just receive it? If you've had it for a while and are just now sending it, that definitely won't look good
I called and had them resend it because I never go one. It wasn't in my junk box, either. :shrug:

I've only just now received the funds to send in another secondary. In fact, I've only sent one to any of the 9 schools to which I sent primaries -- and my GF payed for that one. :/

Basically my benefactor wrote me a rubber check at the worst possible time.

I called and had them resend it because I never go one. It wasn't in my junk box, either. :shrug:

I've only just now received the funds to send in another secondary. In fact, I've only sent one to any of the 9 schools to which I sent primaries -- and my GF payed for that one. :/

Basically my benefactor wrote me a rubber check at the worst possible time.

I mean I would definitely send it in now before the new year! If they just resent it to you and it's within that 2 week window then you're in good shape. I made sure to have all of my secondaries sent within 5 days of receiving them but most will recommend within 2 weeks.

I mean I would definitely send it in now before the new year! If they just resent it to you and it's within that 2 week window then you're in good shape. I made sure to have all of my secondaries sent within 5 days of receiving them but most will recommend within 2 weeks.
Yeah, I sent my PCOM-GA secondary in within 24 hours. Just bad financial luck at the wrong time :(

PCOM Ga vs VCOM-CC? Which of the two has a better program?

Just payed my secondary fee. Maybe I'll be dumped into the pool for Jan or Feb interview considerations. :xf:

3.58/3.35/510
700+ hrs. clinical
200+ hrs. non-clinical
Great LORs

Just payed my secondary fee. Maybe I'll be dumped into the pool for Jan or Feb interview considerations. :xf:

3.58/3.35/510
700+ hrs. clinical
200+ hrs. non-clinical
Great LORs
I am just about to submit to these three schools.

3.58/3.35/510
700+ hrs. clinical
200+ hrs. non-clinical
Great LORs

Worth a shot! I got an interview invite two days after my secondary was verified/complete. And I submitted it late October. So even though I wasn't exactly early with sending it in, they sure looked at it quickly.

PCOM Ga vs VCOM-CC? Which of the two has a better program?

Im a little biased as a student at VCOM CC but if you have an idea of what you want to do then look at their board scores and match lists
Also consider: Location/facilities, location of rotations, curriculum scheduling and additional opportunities such as mission trips, volunteer experiences, early clinical stuff, etc.

3.58/3.35/510
700+ hrs. clinical
200+ hrs. non-clinical
Great LORs

good luck to you ! i am sorta in the same boat. did you pay with paypal? i mailed a check, which is taking longer time in the whole process :(

good luck to you ! i am sorta in the same boat. did you pay with paypal? i mailed a check, which is taking longer time in the whole process :(
Do you have a credit or debit card? While it's payed through PayPal, it's not with the traditional PayPal system. It's through your card.

Newly accepted people: PM me for the fb page!!!!

2nd year student at VCOM-CC here and will have a little time on my hands at the end of this week and all next week. So feel free to PM me any specific questions you may have or tag me in your post on here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Just got my II for January 20!! Pretty stoked. I submitted my secondary two days ago, complete this morning, and an hour or so later received the phone call. Here's hoping they like me in person!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my II for January 20!! Pretty stoked. I submitted my secondary two days ago, complete this morning, and an hour or so later received the phone call. Here's hoping they like me in person!!!!
Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing your stats with us? I see that some people get IIs very quickly while others wait a little longer...just trying to get an idea what it depends on? Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks :)

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing your stats with us? I see that some people get IIs very quickly while others wait a little longer...just trying to get an idea what it depends on? Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks :)

Thanks! And sure, no problem:
3.57 cGPA/ 3.42 sGPA/ 498
300+ hours clinical volunteering
200+ hours Research
50+ hours community service
Double major in Microbiology and BCMB
Several Letters of Recommendation

Honestly, if you talk to the people at the school, you'll find out that while numbers are an important factor, they are really interested in the applicant as a person. I've heard of people who have stellar stats getting denied at top tier schools, and they had no idea why. Have you emailed or called anyone? I mean, couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Thanks! And sure, no problem:
3.57 cGPA/ 3.42 sGPA/ 498
300+ hours clinical volunteering
200+ hours Genetics Research
50+ hours community service
Double major in Microbiology and BCMB
Several Letters of Recommendation

Honestly, if you talk to the people at the school, you'll find out that while numbers are an important factor, they are really interested in the applicant as a person. I've heard of people who have stellar stats getting denied at top tier schools, and they had no idea why. Have you emailed or called anyone? I mean, couldn't hurt.

Thank you :) Yeah, I've read that around SDN before and that's one of the reasons I decided to apply here. That would also make perfect sense as far as their selection process for secondaries and interview invites goes. I'm submitting my primary these days, and I can only imagine how swamped they are...so I can't really call or email them on any justifiable grounds hahaha

2nd year student at VCOM-CC here and will have a little time on my hands at the end of this week and all next week. So feel free to PM me any specific questions you may have or tag me in your post on here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Just started our block break and wanted to remind any of you perspective students that may be questioning why VCOM over school X or needing questions answered about VCOM before you make your decision, please feel free to PM me and I will take the time to get you the detailed answer you want. Best of luck

Thank you :) Yeah, I've read that around SDN before and that's one of the reasons I decided to apply here. That would also make perfect sense as far as their selection process for secondaries and interview invites goes. I'm submitting my primary these days, and I can only imagine how swamped they are...so I can't really call or email them on any justifiable grounds hahaha

Good luck! I get the vibe there are still a few seats available so don't expect dark clouds just yet!

Good luck! I get the vibe there are still a few seats available so don't expect dark clouds just yet!
That's great!! I was already expecting to be interviewed for the wait list IF I got a II at all. I really like what I've read online so far and I'm glad @The_Forever_Student is willing to sacrifice time and effort to help us neurotic folks here through this time!! LOL

That's great!! I was already expecting to be interviewed for the wait list IF I got a II at all. I really like what I've read online so far and I'm glad @The_Forever_Student is willing to sacrifice time and effort to help us neurotic folks here through this time!! LOL
I would imagine there are more seats. The Facebook group is kinda lean the last time I checked. Although that does not directly correlate it's got to mean something. Good luck.

Complete at the VCOMs yesterday. Hoping for an II.

I have read and heard a lot of really good things, so I'm right there with you. Hopefully, the interview goes in my favor. But you never know...Good luck on getting yours!