Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said when they would be making decisions, but I can't find where I wrote it. I think it was within about three weeks.

I know the committee is meeting on the 18th so you may only have a week to go.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Review

I interviewed here on 10/8. Overall I was impressed by VCOM, especially by their dedication to rural/underserved areas and to international work. They love international work! This was apparent not only in their mission statement, but in the class schedule, the pictures on the walls, even on the break room tables. If you know you want to be a primary care doctor and you want to work in an underserved or international field, this is definitely the school for you.

I stayed at the Sunshine Inn. It's just a few blocks from the college and really cheap, but you get what you pay for. The room was okay, but I'm 99% sure the guy staying in the next room was a drug dealer conducting business in the parking lot. If you're like me and not overly concerned about safety, it was a pretty good place to stay. Kind of run down, but as long as there's a bed and an ironing board, I'm happy enough.

There were eight of us interviewing, broken into two groups. My group got the standard introduction to the school and introduction to osteopathic medicine first, followed by interviews. There were two one-on-one interviews. My first was with a professor, the second with an emergency physician. Mostly they wanted to discuss my EC's, since I've got a long history of overseas volunteer work. It was obvious that that was exactly the kind of thing they were looking for in candidates. Interviews were open file, and both the interviewers had already done a thorough review of my file. They didn't care at all about my low cGPA, probably because my MCAT and postbac GPA were both good.

I forget where the tour of the building fit in the schedule, so I'll put it here. Of course everything is new, and they really pride themselves on the level of technology. There's cameras and screens everywhere and I think four patient simulators, including a pregnant patient. One of the simulators was supposed to be the best model available anywhere. It could even vomit on you, so I guess it's pretty realistic.

Lunch was boxes from a local deli. Oddly enough, seven out of the eight of us ordered the same turkey sandwich. During lunch we talked with two MS1s and asked them a few questions. They said the atmosphere was noncompetitive and friendly, and there were lots of clubs and activities.

After lunch we had one-on-one interviews with MS2 students. These were closed file, and I think the main purpose of them was to make sure that candidates were sufficiently friendly and possessed actual personalities. My interviewer had a list of prepared standard questions, but again she mostly wanted to talk about my volunteer experience.

After that we went on a bus tour of Wofford college and Spartanburg. VCOM students can use Wofford's gym, library, and attend sporting events for free. The town is nice, at about 60,000 people it's bigger than I'd like but small for city slickers.

The final event was a presentation by the financial aid director. Nothing new here, take out federal loans or join the army. The good news is that there's plenty of affordable housing options. Most of the apartments are 10-15 minutes away though. From what I saw, there's a huge discrepancy between rent and buying. If you've got the cash or can get your parents to cosign a loan, you can buy a cheap house that needs a little work for 20,000 and rent it out for 500 a month. At that price I can get two houses with what I'll make selling my current house and still have money left over for some of the tuition.

One thing I noticed was that VCOM didn't seem to have the same emphasis on producing excellent quality doctors that was apparent at my last two DO interviews. That's just the impression I got from interview day, so it might not at all be true, but it felt like their mission was to produce doctors who would go to underserved areas, and not necessarily to produce the best possible doctors. That was about the only negative impression I got, though.

Overall I'd say VCOM-CC is a good school. I'd certainly fit in well there, and I'd be happy to attend. I'm on my way to an interview at Tulane now, and I'll let you know how that one goes too.

Thanks for this awesome post, Chip N Sawbones!

I'm interviewing on the 17th, and live about an hour away from Spartanburg. If anyone is interviewing that day and flying into the Asheville airport, PM me and we can carpool down there to save money! My boyfriend and I also have a blow up mattress if you're all about saving even more money. Plus two dogs.

The application is pricey enough, so I thought I'd extend out whatever help I can!

Members don't see this ad :)
YEAAAH II invite today... was completed last week so had a suprising quick turn around. I have option of 23 or 29 of october...anybody else interviewing on this date. Super excited as this is one of my top schools if not my favorite! Also anyone have any advice or anything helpful about for the trip that would be much appreciated!

YEAAAH II invite today... was completed last week so had a suprising quick turn around. I have option of 23 or 29 of october...anybody else interviewing on this date. Super excited as this is one of my top schools if not my favorite! Also anyone have any advice or anything helpful about for the trip that would be much appreciated!

Congrats on the quick turnaround! Do u mind if I ask your stats? I've been complete for about a month with no word :oops:

xcited as this is probably my favorite school!

Last edited:
The committee is meeting tomorrow! According to Gail, at the interview today. Good luck to everyone! I am wayy excited to find out!

I just got a call from Amy! Accepted!!!!! So happy!!

Also accepted, which is proof that there was some serious drinking going on in the admissions committee meeting. Interviewed 10/9.

Congrats, you guys!!! I got a call as well! I am really excited, this school is wonderful! :D :D :D :D

Congrats, you guys!!! I got a call as well! I am really excited, this school is wonderful! :D :D :D :D

Hey congrats guys im up there interviewing on oct 29th...just wondering how was the interviews and if u have any advice that would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What was your timeline of verification, secondary submitted, and ii?

Still waiting on secondary, but just was verified last week...

Verified: 08/01/12 (released on 08/07/12)
Secondary submitted: 08/16/12 (complete per school on 09/07/12)
Interview Invite: 09/11/12
Interview: 09/26/12
Accepted: 10/18/12

I hope this helps :).

Hey everyone, interview here on 11/13...I mistakenly posted it on the Virginia Campus..

I got an interesting email from them stating they received my application and it is under review. No secondary. Did anyone else get this? This is a first.

Stats: 27Q, 3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA

I got an interesting email from them stating they received my application and it is under review. No secondary. Did anyone else get this? This is a first.

Stats: 27Q, 3.4 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA

Yes, everyone gets that email! If you're referring to the email they send out once they receive your primary application. They do screen for their secondary and will notify you if/when they would like for you to fill out the VCOM secondary (same for both campuses). Don't fret, your stats are great!

Hey y'all! I got a call from Adam last week! My interview date is Nov 13th!

It took me forever to read through all the messages, but I finally got through them all! :sleep: now i'm exhausted haha. Thanks to all the previous posters for giving me a heads up on the interview process! (And those that caused me some unnecessary stress...:scared: ) haha.

*This will be my first medical school interview, so I'm slightly stoked, stressed, excited, and confused haha. So if y'all have any more tips/pointers/goodies, I'd love to hear from you!

Last edited:

It took me forever to read through all the messages, but I finally got through them all! :sleep: now i'm exhausted haha. Thanks to all the previous posters for giving me a heads up on the interview process! (And those that caused me some unnecessary stress...:scared: ) haha.

*This will be my first medical school interview, so I'm slightly stoked, stressed, excited, and confused haha. So if y'all have any more tips/pointers/goodies, I'd love to hear from you!

Congrats! Can I ask your stats and complete date? I feel like I've been waiting forever with no word :thumbdown:

Congrats! Can I ask your stats and complete date? I feel like I've been waiting forever with no word :thumbdown:

Thanks!

Don't remember exact dates... but I got the call about 2 weeks after I submitted my secondary. I submitted it pretty late... as in I submitted it like 3-4 weeks ago haha.

Last edited:
Declined my acceptance here today after getting into Tulane. VCOM was nice, but Cajun cooking is just too good to pass up. If any of you are interested in international missions, I hope you get my VCOM spot.

It's been over a week since I got that email saying they've received my primary application and still nothing about the secondary application! I know it's not that long, but I feel like it's getting later and later and the competition is getting tighter. I've already pre-written all of my essay questions. Should I follow-up or am I just being annoying at this point??? Help! :)

It's been over a week since I got that email saying they've received my primary application and still nothing about the secondary application! I know it's not that long, but I feel like it's getting later and later and the competition is getting tighter. I've already pre-written all of my essay questions. Should I follow-up or am I just being annoying at this point??? Help! :)

For me, they received the primary application on 8/30 and sent me the secondary on 9/17. Perhaps, wait another week. If not, call them; they will respond quickly by phone. Good Luck!

I have an interview here next week.. and I'm in a huge dilemma whether i should cancel or not... i got 3 acceptances already but i def. do wanna check out vcom...

can somebody tell me how the area is around this school?

thanks

Got an II today! Wish it would've been earlier in the season, would've loved to see SC!

Hopefully they offer someone on here my interview!

Sent from my iPhone via SDN App

I have an interview here next week.. and I'm in a huge dilemma whether i should cancel or not... i got 3 acceptances already but i def. do wanna check out vcom...

can somebody tell me how the area is around this school?

thanks
Congrats on your acceptances! In my opinion, there's so many of us out there vying for spots for interviews. If you are very interested, go for the interview. If not, let some of us get a chance!!

congrats on your acceptances! In my opinion, there's so many of us out there vying for spots for interviews. If you are very interested, go for the interview. If not, let some of us get a chance!!

+1

I just got an email saying I was complete yesterday.... here's to waiting. Hopefully they have a quick turnaround :)

I heard that Admissions will be meeting up today! Will we receive an email or call today? Or should I call myself? And if so, what time do you think they would be finished?

I'm somewhat anxious! In case you haven't noticed!

____

UPDATE:

didn't end up calling...
but I DID get a phone call a couple hours ago... I've been ACCEPTED!!! :love:

Last edited:
They did meet today, they phone the acceptance first, then send an email.

I'm in the same boat as you. This will be my very first ever med school interview, so I know I will be nervous and VERY excited. Any tips or pointers are appreciated (especially to get rid of any pre-interview stress...). I see it's open file with 3 interviewers lasting approximately 30 mins.

Other than lots and lots of practicing, any other good ways to prepare? I live in SC, and I am very interested in this school!

Received my secondary from VCOM a couple of days ago (I submitted my primary app. in June). Does this school review apps pretty thoroughly before offering secondaries? Thanks.

I'm in the same boat as you. This will be my very first ever med school interview, so I know I will be nervous and VERY excited. Any tips or pointers are appreciated (especially to get rid of any pre-interview stress...). I see it's open file with 3 interviewers lasting approximately 30 mins.

Other than lots and lots of practicing, any other good ways to prepare? I live in SC, and I am very interested in this school!

Biggest thing - be yourself - be personable. No need to be overly nervous haha. You do not need to go through 200k interview-type questions - if anything it'll cause you unnecessary stress and anxiety. Just know yourself well enough to be able to speak on your own behalf. "Know thy self." haha. The interviewers asked me why I wanted to be a DO and a lot of questions about my extracurriculars. I met with a D.O., Ph.D, and a OMSII. The OMSII interview was a closed file.

I did not really "prepare" per se (no mock interviews, didn't practice the googled-interview-type questions)... Just read through your application and like I previously stated, be able to speak about yourself. Your extracurriculars and hobbies.

Be yourself! And you'll kill it! Good luck to y'all! :thumbup:

What are the chances of me getting an ii here? I recently received a secondary and submitted a few days ago. Stats:

3.85 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA
22 MCAT (8 PS, 7 VR, 7 BS)
Hospital work and volunteer experience (2000+ hrs)
Solid DO shadowing

Thanks.

What are the chances of me getting an ii here? I recently received a secondary and submitted a few days ago. Stats:

3.85 sGPA, 3.83 cGPA
22 MCAT (8 PS, 7 VR, 7 BS)
Hospital work and volunteer experience (2000+ hrs)
Solid DO shadowing

Thanks.
Your low MCAT might hurt you. I'm not sure how strictly they screen here. There hasn't been much discussion in regards to people who have gotten an interview this year...

Are you from SC?

So, just out of curiosity, did anybody receive an ii today or this week?

Interviewed yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed my day. The faculty and everyone in admissions were very friendly. Crossing my fingers for next Thursday!

For those who have received interview invites from this school, how long after submitting your secondary were you notified?

Thanks.