Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay, cause I got one for CC but not VC. I don't know if that means I am not complete at VC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! For those of you who have already interviewed.. what was the interview like. Was it high pressure? What kind of questions were asked?

Hey everyone,
I am a current first year at VCOM! It is an amazing school with awesome faculty and students. If you have any questions feel free to message me or post on the forum. I will be checking the forum every week or so. Hope you guys are excited and ready for interviews and medical school!! GOOD LUCK!!

Do you have any recommendations or advice for housing?

Hello everyone! For those of you who have already interviewed.. what was the interview like. Was it high pressure? What kind of questions were asked?

From what some friends (current students) are telling me, it is stress-free. They said VCOM just wants to see how personable you are in the interviews not try to mess you up .

Here are a sample of some questions that have been asked on the Virginia campus. http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/vcom/survey/26

Just got the phone call that I'm accepted!!!

I got the call that I was accepted to VCOM! I'm so excited! Good luck everyone in your application process :)

Has anyone made a fb group yet ?

Reactions: 1 user
VCOM seems like an amazing school! The faculty were so nice and friendly when I interviewed, and they really tried to make everyone comfortable with both the school and Spartanburg in general (which seems like an awesome community btw). I hope I get accepted because I can totally see myself coming here!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who were recently accepted, have you gotten your official invitation by email yet?

Do you know when the deadline to submit our deposit is?

Do you know when the deadline to submit our deposit is?
December 14th.

Are we supposed to be getting an acceptance package? With details? I think we need CPR certification, vaccinations and official transcripts sent right?

That's all due before matriculation. The only two things that are due by December are the deposit and background check.

Did anyone on this thread finish their interview and is just waiting for a decision?? I'm getting so nervous! I hope I hear good news soon....:p

I received the completion email 2 months ago and since I hadn't heard anything, I sent vcom an inquiry about my status. They have all of my paperwork and my application is still under review and that maybe in a few weeks I might get an update.

I am applying here from Oklahoma. I am very interested in this school and have some questions.
For people who have interviewed:
-How was the campus?
-How was the area?
-Things you liked/didn't like
This is one of my top choices. I love the South, and I have heard good things about this program. I really want an II soon!

I am applying here from Oklahoma. I am very interested in this school and have some questions.
For people who have interviewed:
-How was the campus?
-How was the area?
-Things you liked/didn't like
This is one of my top choices. I love the South, and I have heard good things about this program. I really want an II soon!

Interviewed last month. Overall it was better than I expected going in. One building campus with modern facilities, a lot of windows makes the building seem more open and comfortable (good views also!), plenty of study space, two separate lecture halls for OMS1 and OMS2. Student org's and IM sports are big too. I was also impressed with the lawn area surrounding the building, very well-kept and decorated. It's located in a small town, but plenty of stuff to do. Downtown area has plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. Spartanburg Reg.Hospital is a few mins away from campus, and they have great opportunities for local/internat'l medical missions if you're interested. Definitely a family-friendly atmosphere, although it is in a rural area. I liked the family environment, students and professors have a great relationship. Also they give you free membership to the YMCA a few mins away from campus (great for fellow gym bros). Students were happy and supportive of each other, and were interactive with the interviewees.

I didn't like the limited research opportunities available at the school - they made it seem like you would just have to ask around for faculty who are researching and see if you can join (depends if research is something important to you). Also not too sure of the quality of clinical affiliations/rotations. If there's anything else someone would like to comment on, please add :)

Interviewed last month. Overall it was better than I expected going in. One building campus with modern facilities, a lot of windows makes the building seem more open and comfortable (good views also!), plenty of study space, two separate lecture halls for OMS1 and OMS2. Student org's and IM sports are big too. I was also impressed with the lawn area surrounding the building, very well-kept and decorated. It's located in a small town, but plenty of stuff to do. Downtown area has plenty of restaurants, shops, etc. Spartanburg Reg.Hospital is a few mins away from campus, and they have great opportunities for local/internat'l medical missions if you're interested. Definitely a family-friendly atmosphere, although it is in a rural area. I liked the family environment, students and professors have a great relationship. Also they give you free membership to the YMCA a few mins away from campus (great for fellow gym bros). Students were happy and supportive of each other, and were interactive with the interviewees.

I didn't like the limited research opportunities available at the school - they made it seem like you would just have to ask around for faculty who are researching and see if you can join (depends if research is something important to you). Also not too sure of the quality of clinical affiliations/rotations. If there's anything else someone would like to comment on, please add :)
Wait.. what? They only showed us one. There was a second?!

Hey! I actually PMed him my experience during my interview here but I actually got the impression that they had a lot of research opportunities based on their presentation. I could be wrong because I didn't ask any further questions about the research, but I was curious as to why you think there are limited research opportunities.

@Dylan4081 I forgot to add in the PM that they have a lot of student organizations and as Madu said, they encourage missions (which I was personally VERY interested in). I got the impression that they really want to include students into the community too

Yea my group just peeked into the OMS1 hall, the OMS2 was right next to it.
My visual acuity is failing me. All we saw was the lecture hall directly adjacent to the front door/receptionist desk. Is that the MS1 or 2 room?

Hey! I actually PMed him my experience during my interview here but I actually got the impression that they had a lot of research opportunities based on their presentation. I could be wrong because I didn't ask any further questions about the research, but I was curious as to why you think there are limited research opportunities.

@Dylan4081 I forgot to add in the PM that they have a lot of student organizations and as Madu said, they encourage missions (which I was personally VERY interested in). I got the impression that they really want to include students into the community too

From what my interviewer told me, the faculty were focused almost entirely on teaching (which is awesome imo), but also that a result of that is that it limits time for their research. Also during the tour of Spartanburg they mentioned that many students don't look to do research, although there are opportunities available. So it's based on the vibe I got overall.

@ChiTownBHawks that was for OMS1's. There was another hall right near the men's restroom for OMS2's.

From what my interviewer told me, the faculty were focused almost entirely on teaching (which is awesome imo), but also that a result of that is that it limits time for their research. Also during the tour of Spartanburg they mentioned that many students don't look to do research, although there are opportunities available. So it's based on the vibe I got overall.

@ChiTownBHawks that was for OMS1's. There was another hall right near the men's restroom for OMS2's.
Well then. You learn something new everyday. How was the other lecture hall?

They actually require you to submit research for publication during your 4th year. I have never seen nor heard of that at any other DO school.

Well then. You learn something new everyday. How was the other lecture hall?

We didn't get to see it lol, but the student ambassadors said it's basically just like the other one (could someone please confirm this?). And I was not aware of that requirement... never heard of that at a DO school either. Guess I'm wrong about the limited research opportunities then!

I'd like to do some research while I'm in med school actually. I did only a semester in undergrad, would've done more had I not been involved in so many different organizations. I want to do surgery, but am also interested in emergency and internal medicine. Do you think I'd be limited at VCOM?

We didn't get to see it lol, but the student ambassadors said it's basically just like the other one (could someone please confirm this?). And I was not aware of that requirement... never heard of that at a DO school either. Guess I'm wrong about the limited research opportunities then!
You're good, boss man. I only know that because of the school catalog I read.

Last edited:
I'd like to do some research while I'm in med school actually. I did only a semester in undergrad, would've done more had I not been involved in so many different organizations. I want to do surgery, but am also interested in emergency and internal medicine. Do you think I'd be limited at VCOM?
EM isn't really a field where PD's care if you have research or not. Surg.- they do. IM- yes at the big hitters but that would be irrelevant as a DO. Disclaimer, my input comes from MD family members and PD's that I know. So, I have 0 idea of the research implications on the DO residency side.

EM isn't really a field where PD's care if you have research or not. Surg.- they do. IM- yes at the big hitters but that would be irrelevant as a DO. Disclaimer, my input comes from MD family members and PD's that I know. So, I have 0 idea of the research implications on the DO side.
That's kind of what I've heard about surgery anyways. However, I do not know how much research would be sufficient.

I actually only remember one lecture hall only also....but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a second one!

@Dylan4081 I don't think you would be limited at VCOM, but they do place a huge emphasis on primary care. That said, I think I can assume that there are students who want to do surgery (there was a student organization for those interested in surgery in the catalog given during the interview) at VCOM.

I actually only remember one lecture hall only also....but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a second one!

@Dylan4081 I don't think you would be limited at VCOM, but they do place a huge emphasis on primary care. That said, I think I can assume that there are students who want to do surgery (there was a student organization for those interested in surgery in the catalog given during the interview) at VCOM.
I mean primary care is emphasized at all DO schools, isn't it? Internal medicine is just as interesting to me. I'm not in medical school yet so I have no idea what I'll actually love doing. Those have just been two fields I've been interested in for years now.

Lol, maybe our boy Mr. Snuff is smoke screening us???

Last edited:
@Dylan4081
By the way, there is a bunch of information about research online on their website: http://www.vcom.edu/research/currentresearch-carolinas.html
As I said in my previous post, I'm not sure how easy it is to be involved with research, but I just wanted to tell you that it is available. I suggest asking about it during the interview to get more information about it.
And like I said, you can still do surgery (that was the point of my last post)...or whatever you'd like if you change your mind in the future lol
Osteopathic medicine does emphasize primary care, but it is more or less emphasized in different schools....

@ChiTownBHawks LOL the OMS1 tour students may have mentioned that there was a second room, but to be honest, I wasn't able to hear them too well when we entered the lecture room because the OMS students in the room were just about to have a class and my whole interview group was kind of scattered.

I told my interviewer that I liked internal medicine and would consider specializing, but that I'm open to anything. Kept it simple and honest. Also, can anyone comment on VCOM-CC's clinical sites in terms of setting, hospital size, etc.? Spartanburg Regional seemed a decent size, but considering the mission of the school I'm assuming there are smaller and more rural ones too. Good mix of urban/rural?

I told my interviewer that I liked internal medicine and would consider specializing, but that I'm open to anything. Kept it simple and honest. Also, can anyone comment on VCOM-CC's clinical sites in terms of setting, hospital size, etc.? Spartanburg Regional seemed a decent size, but considering the mission of the school I'm assuming there are smaller and more rural ones too. Good mix of urban/rural?
SR is 500 beds, a level one ER, and a level three nicu. It's a tertiary referral center for 300,000 people. That is definitely "decent size"- lol. If you look in the front of that massive book they gave us it lists the clinical affiliations. Also, bed size does not always equal quality education, fyi (no offense if you already know this..). I think they share 100% of the same CA's as VA but don't quote me....

Last edited:
SR is 500 beds, a level one ER, and a level three nicu. It's a tertiary referral center for 300,000 people. That is definitely "decent size"- lol. If you look in the front of that massive book they gave us it lists the clinical affiliations. Also, bed size does not always equal quality education, fyi (no offense if you already know this..). I think they share 100% of the same CA's as VA but don't quote me..... like seriously... don't do it.

I just dug up that info book from the deep dark abyss :wideyed:, and it separates core sites by campus on separate pages. I do remember something said on interview day about if CC students are interested in extra sports medicine training they can request to visit the VA sites since it's with VA Tech. Don't remember if they told us it was all sites. So my guess is that VA and CC share at least some sites, or upon request for a particular field/elective. Not sure about the Auburn campus though...

I just dug up that info book from the deep dark abyss :wideyed:, and it separates core sites by campus on separate pages. I do remember something said on interview day about if CC students are interested in extra sports medicine training they can request to visit the VA sites since it's with VA Tech. Don't remember if they told us it was all sites. So my guess is that VA and CC share at least some sites, or upon request for a particular field/elective. Not sure about the Auburn campus though...
Lolz, it has a LOT of info. Interesting... cool stuff, though. I thought I heard that all clinical rotation spots are shared among all campuses. Perhaps I misheard. Well, that makes staying in Spartanburg to do all of 3rd year at SR that much more attainable (100 spots for 162 students). I've been around a lot of hospitals, both teaching and community, in some major cities and it seems like a great place to rotate at.

Last edited:
Hopefully I hear back from them soon. How long did it take to get an II for all of you? I submitted this secondary a little late (2 weeks ago). But I noticed on AACOMAS VCOM-CC doesn't get as many applications as some of the other schools I applied to.

Hopefully I hear back from them soon. How long did it take to get an II for all of you? I submitted this secondary a little late (2 weeks ago). But I noticed on AACOMAS VCOM-CC doesn't get as many applications as some of the other schools I applied to.

Complete 8/7, interview invite 8/11

Fairly soon after submitting.

Last edited:
I also got mine less than a week after I submitted.