Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys to answer some of your questions...

1) Two lecture halls. Sounds like y'all were shown the 1st year lecture hall. The 2nd years was on the other side of the elevator and it is identical set up as far as seating and lecturing area/projectors.

2)Plenty of research opportunities if you truly are interested. Yes you have to seek out the professors and talk to them because they don't really advertise what they are doing. There are plenty of professors working over at the Gibbs Cancer Research facility and some work over at Converse College. Some are working on stem cell projects and others OMM projects and others micro/immuno/cancer projects.

3) As I am a first year I can't speak to the actual site locations but from what I have heard 3rd and 4th years feel good about the clinical aspect of their training. There is definitely a good amount of urban/rural, but probably leans more on the rural. Which can be a good thing if you are wanting more personal relationship with your attending you are working with.

Hope this helps clear up some things. If not feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys to answer some of your questions...

1) Two lecture halls. Sounds like y'all were shown the 1st year lecture hall. The 2nd years was on the other side of the elevator and it is identical set up as far as seating and lecturing area/projectors.

2)Plenty of research opportunities if you truly are interested. Yes you have to seek out the professors and talk to them because they don't really advertise what they are doing. There are plenty of professors working over at the Gibbs Cancer Research facility and some work over at Converse College. Some are working on stem cell projects and others OMM projects and others micro/immuno/cancer projects.

3) As I am a first year I can't speak to the actual site locations but from what I have heard 3rd and 4th years feel good about the clinical aspect of their training. There is definitely a good amount of urban/rural, but probably leans more on the rural. Which can be a good thing if you are wanting more personal relationship with your attending you are working with.

Hope this helps clear up some things. If not feel free to PM me and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks for the info! Glad I wasn't going completely looney thinking there were two lecture halls.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED! Interviewed 9/30. I'm so glad that I get the chance to be part of this AMAZING school!!!

Interviewed on 9/30 an accepted on 10/14

So excited about this acceptance! Such an amazing school with great opportunities

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you.
Can you comment on how accessible the faculty are at the Carolina campus? So I am asking if it is easy to meet with them if you have questions or need any other help related to the class they teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please share how long it took between having your primary verified and receiving a secondary for this school? I took the MCAT on 6-Sep-14, so my app was verified in early Oct. I haven't yet received a secondary from VCOM so was curious (applied to the CC and Auburn campuses). Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone please share how long it took between having your primary verified and receiving a secondary for this school? I took the MCAT on 6-Sep-14, so my app was verified in early Oct. I haven't yet received a secondary from VCOM so was curious (applied to the CC and Auburn campuses). Thanks!
17 days for me. Got an email saying they received my primary on 10/10 (verified on 10/09) and received secondary in the spam box on 10/27. It's also 1 secondary for all three campus as well. Good luck! I have a pretty competitive MCAT.

Thank you! Alright, so I still have hope. My app wasn't verified until 10/16 so I may get it in the next week or so. Btw, did it end up in your junk folder in gmail? I'm not great about checking it, but will pay close attention to it now. I still have a few secondaries in my possession that I'm working to turn around, but would be thrilled to get one from VCOM early next week!

I'm totally in love with the CC though I'll be happy to go to any of them. My MCAT/GPA are both above their averages and my app should be mostly be in-line with the school's mission so was a tad bit surprised not to have received a secondary yet.

17 days for me. Got an email saying they received my primary on 10/10 (verified on 10/09) and received secondary in the spam box on 10/27. It's also 1 secondary for all three campus as well. Good luck! I have a pretty competitive MCAT.

Last edited:
Thank you! Alright, so I still have hope. My app wasn't verified until 10/16 so I may get it in the next week or so. Btw, did it end up in your junk folder in gmail? I'm not great about checking it, but will pay close attention to it now. I still have a few secondaries in my possession that I'm working to turn around, but would be thrilled to get one from VCOM early next week!

I'm totally in love with the CC though I'll be happy to go to any of them. My MCAT/GPA are both above their averages and my app should be mostly be in-line with the school's mission so was a tad bit surprised not to have received a secondary yet.
Don't stress about the secondary time I was verified the same day as yocharlie and still haven't gotten the secondary it seems they release them in patches. I know my stats and background are in-line with the schools, patience is just necessary.

11 days. VCOM sent me the "we are reviewing applications" email on 10/10 and I received the secondary on 10/21. Although I found it in my spam folder.

11 days. VCOM sent me the "we are reviewing applications" email on 10/10 and I received the secondary on 10/21. Although I found it in my spam folder.
I got an email saying they received my application on 9/17 and then an email on 10/2 saying its scheduled for review. Check my spam folder every day and still nothing either. Just waiting and waiting

Ya spam is key in this game.

Wow that's a long time. The only reason I found it was because I made VCOM a VIP in my mailbox and all of the sudden the secondary invite popped up. I wasn't even looking in my spam folder. I certainly do now though

Wow that's a long time. The only reason I found it was because I made VCOM a VIP in my mailbox and all of the sudden the secondary invite popped up. I wasn't even looking in my spam folder. I certainly do now though
Hm. We got the original e-mail the same day, I'll have to try that technique and see if it surfaces lol.

Thanks! I wasn't too stressed. More was wondering if it's worth my while to pre-write the secondary prompts. I still have about 5 other secondaries in my possession, so I'll just keep plugging away at those for now.

Don't stress about the secondary time I was verified the same day as yocharlie and still haven't gotten the secondary it seems they release them in patches. I know my stats and background are in-line with the schools, patience is just necessary.

I finally got it last night at around 9:45 PM in the spam folder! So definitely keep your eyes peeled for it like others have suggested. Happy Halloween everyone!

Yay!!
Every email I have received from VCOM with the exception of the initial one has gone in the spam box. I routinely check it now!

II today! scheduled it for late Nov bcos of my other interviews. Anyone who has attended interview at VCOM-CC care to PM me to enlighten me about the interview?

II today! scheduled it for late Nov bcos of my other interviews. Anyone who has attended interview at VCOM-CC care to PM me to enlighten me about the interview?
How long have all of you been complete?

How long have all of you been complete?
Secondary submitted -6/20/2014
Application complete-8/11/2014
Interview invite-10/31/2014
Not sure why they took long for it to be complete but excited anyways!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Secondary submitted -6/20/2014
Application complete-8/11/2014
Interview invite-10/31/2014
Not sure why they took long for it to be complete but excited anyways!

Posted using SDN Mobile
What were your stats? I've been complete for a couple of weeks now

Just received the complete email today. Submitted secondary on 10/27.

What were your stats? I've been complete for a couple of weeks now

Did you try emailing or calling the admissions office? I was marked complete a few business days after I submitted the secondary and got an ii a couple days after they notified me that I was complete

Did you try emailing or calling the admissions office? I was marked complete a few business days after I submitted the secondary and got an ii a couple days after they notified me that I was complete
I have talked to them. Megan told me to send in a letter of interest since I'm not from the Appalachian area so I did that on thursday, hopefully I'll hear back in the next couple of weeks. I've only been complete for a couple of weeks and my stats aren't exactly extraordinary (cGPA: 3.5 MCAT: 25) but this is one of my top choices so I am very hopeful.

II for 11/24. First invite of the cycle!

how did you rank campuses on the secondary? JW.. i think i put auburn as my #1 and i got an II to auburn
I had originally put VA as my # 1, CC # 2 and Auburn #3. But when I called them to know about the status of my application, I told that I was open to any location (no specific preference). I got an II for VCOM-CC.

I have talked to them. Megan told me to send in a letter of interest since I'm not from the Appalachian area so I did that on thursday, hopefully I'll hear back in the next couple of weeks. I've only been complete for a couple of weeks and my stats aren't exactly extraordinary (cGPA: 3.5 MCAT: 25) but this is one of my top choices so I am very hopeful.

Did you email or mail the letter of interest? I was complete in early September and haven't heard anything. Any suggestions? Thanks

Interviewed here yesterday. Beautiful campus and wonderful school!! Everyone was so nice and welcoming! If anyone has questions about the interview just PM me I'd love to answer them.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 10/21 & was accepted on 11/3. Feel free to ask questions =]

Reactions: 2 users
Friend got accepted to the Auburn campus. The opportunities there are like 10x greater than SC due to their affiliation with Auburn.

I just submitted my secondary and will be sending LORs tomorrow. What is the average turn-around time if they decide to take me for an interview?

I'm torn between this campus and the Virginia one (put VC as #1 and CC #2 after some debate). I also added Auburn as my #3. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to call and tell them I have significant ties to SC? The majority of my family lives there (my mother's sister, my father's two sisters, etc.) although I live in GA - obviously, not that far away. I did not see a place to indicate that on the application, and while they list "southeast states" it does not state GA specifically.

I'm actually fairly excited at the prospect of interviewing at either the CC or VC campus. I hope to post back here with good news in the future.

I just submitted my secondary and will be sending LORs tomorrow. What is the average turn-around time if they decide to take me for an interview?

I'm torn between this campus and the Virginia one (put VC as #1 and CC #2 after some debate). I also added Auburn as my #3. Does anyone think it would be beneficial to call and tell them I have significant ties to SC? The majority of my family lives there (my mother's sister, my father's two sisters, etc.) although I live in GA - obviously, not that far away. I did not see a place to indicate that on the application, and while they list "southeast states" it does not state GA specifically.

I'm actually fairly excited at the prospect of interviewing at either the CC or VC campus. I hope to post back here with good news in the future.
I'm from Oklahoma, had an II after about 2 weeks. I had to write a letter of interest though and tell them my ties to the Appalachian area though. You're one state away, I doubt you would need to do the same. Your turnaround will be based purely off of your stats.

So was Carolina campus a few years ago.
True but Alabama has a lot more medical schools and ACOM is brand new. Don't you think all of this will place huge competition for the rotations in the state? I could most definitely be wrong but it was one of the things I considered when I applied. Don't get me wrong, I love Alabama but I didn't want to risk it. I've also heard that if you get accepted to one of the VCOMs you can call the main campus and if you have a good reason can change where you matriculate in to.

True but Alabama has a lot more medical schools and ACOM is brand new. Don't you think all of this will place huge competition for the rotations in the state? I could most definitely be wrong but it was one of the things I considered when I applied. Don't get me wrong, I love Alabama but I didn't want to risk it. I've also heard that if you get accepted to one of the VCOMs you can call the main campus and if you have a good reason can change where you matriculate in to.

So maybe you will have to go further for a rotation. Maybe its a personal thing but I wouldn't mind.