Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hope to meet you all too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Woot! Just got my call that I was accepted! I had my interview on 12/01! Hope to see some of you guys there!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my acceptance! Interviewed 11/23

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Class of 2019... Go my call this morning. Interview 12/08. So exciting.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all those who were accepted! I didnt get a phone nor an email. Maybe its not meant to be? Does anyone know whether VCOM sends rejections by snail mail or email?

Congrats to all those who were accepted! I didnt get a phone nor an email. Maybe its not meant to be? Does anyone know whether VCOM sends rejections by snail mail or email?

They send emails for rejections... at least that what Meghan said in the interview! Hang in there though, they could give you a call today (or sometime next week)!

Accepted my offer-class of '19, baby.

Hey everyone, first year here and we are officially on break. So if you have any questions please feel free to PM me or direct them towards me on this forum and I will do my best to answer them.

Anyone know how many have been accepted so far? Late applicant here... :(

Congrats on acceptances everyone! I saw that the auburn campus has a class of 2019 Facebook page but carolinas campus doesn't. Anyone interested in getting one going? I can make it! Or if there is already one can someone post the link please

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on acceptances everyone! I saw that the auburn campus has a class of 2019 Facebook page but carolinas campus doesn't. Anyone interested in getting one going? I can make it! Or if there is already one can someone post the link please

I was told an official page would be made sometime in Jan. I think the vcom admins will create one and invite accepted students.

Interview February 2nd!! So excited! I thought I was doomed because of my late application.

Interviewing Jan 28th! :soexcited:Have had nothing but absolutely phenomenal experiences with the admissions staff thus far and am anticipating an amazing experience on campus as well. For any of you who have already interviewed/been accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? Also, key pointers to consider during the interview? Was the interview conversational? Nerve-racking? Relaxed? Did you prepare anything to say? Were the questions mainstream? ... etc. etc.

Also, has anyone heard about some sort of percentage they accept post-interview? Do they over-accept? How many are wait listed? Yadda yadda. Thanks all :)

Interviewing Jan 28th! :soexcited:Have had nothing but absolutely phenomenal experiences with the admissions staff thus far and am anticipating an amazing experience on campus as well. For any of you who have already interviewed/been accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? Also, key pointers to consider during the interview? Was the interview conversational? Nerve-racking? Relaxed? Did you prepare anything to say? Were the questions mainstream? ... etc. etc.

Congrats! I interviewed back in mid-late September and was accepted the following week. Got the admin packet early October. 3.6GPA and 29 MCAT.
My advice is have fun. There were 3 interviews, 2 faculty and 1 student. Everyone was personable to the extreme and seemed to make a huge effort to make you feel welcome. It was very relaxed, no need to be worried. I think not being nervous helped my personality shine through. As far as questions went I had: Why medicine? Why DO? Differences of DO and MD? Specialty? I think being yourself, and sticking to what makes you unique makes you stand out more so than telling them what you think they want to hear.

Congrats again! Good Luck!

I would agree with the guy above but I would also add that the faculty interview for me was super friendly and conversational. No hard questions, no questions trying to break me, they mainly want to get to know you and why you are interested in medicine/DO/VCOM.

Hey everyone!
The Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine Carolinas Camps (VCOM-CC) will be hosting a Pre-SOMA day on February 28, 2015 on our campus in Spartanburg, SC. This is a free, all day event designed for pre-medical students to learn more about the Osteopathic profession. You will have the opportunity to talk with current VCOM students, admissions representatives from other osteopathic medical schools, and ask questions about the admissions process. There will also be a special session on the MCAT and an overview of the admissions process given by an ACCOM representative. Students will also have the unique opportunity to tour the simulation center, anatomy lab, and participate in a suture clinic! If you would like to sign up just click on the following link:
http://presomaconferencevcomcc.eventbrite.com

Hope to see you there:)

Attachments

• Pre-SOMA VCOM CC.pdf
    229.8 KB · Views: 65
Could anyone tell me what forms are required once you're accepted? I only ask because a school I've already been accepted to requires me to have a physical evaluation by a physician. I don't want to have to revisit him a few weeks later for another one if this school requires something similar as well, and I have one scheduled prior to my interview here. Thanks!

We needed to have a physical and some immunizations, a 2 step ppd, and a personal health form to be filled out and some blood work for antibody titers.

We needed to have a physical and some immunizations, a 2 step ppd, and a personal health form to be filled out and some blood work for antibody titers.

What he said BUT we also need them to be the VCOM forms. So if you go here you will have to fill out the VCOM forms and be signed by a physician

ii on Feburary 11th! what hotels are good to stay at that are close?

Could anyone with any information give me some of the pros and cons of this school? I've heard mixed things and can't seem to come to a relatively general consensus.

Hey! So I am a studnet of the class of 2019 so just lettin you know. However I have a friend that is a 4th year here and she loves it. It is a great program with great rotations some places and not so good at others (just like every program). I picked this school because of its international outreach program and the experience you get early on with early patience exposure.

Could anyone with any information give me some of the pros and cons of this school? I've heard mixed things and can't seem to come to a relatively general consensus.

I am a current first year, who was a married, non-traditional applicant. I had been out of school for 2 years before applying here. PM about questions you have on classes. As far as rotations VCOM has you in the same area for your 3rd year and your 4th year you will have a "base location" but 4 or so of your rotations are audition rotations. From how I understand it, if you have children that are in school here you get first priority when it comes to clinical year rotation sites. CC sites located here http://www.vcom.edu/clinical/hospitals_sc.html

Also, to everyone thinking about VCOM-CC. When talking with most of my classmates it was the interview day that sold them on coming to Spartanburg. I can attest to this. This school prides itself on being welcoming and a family. The inaugural class, which are the current 4th years, set up an atmosphere of leaving no man behind. Of course there are always the gunners, but for the most part we all try and help each other out. When someone makes a study guide...they share it. When someone makes an outline or practice questions...they share them. We want to be the best doctors possible and want to help our classmates through the process as well. When I explained this to someone who had gone through a doctorate program in the medical field at another school they looked at me so strange and couldn't believe it. THAT is why I chose this school.

The faculty and staff are amazing and continually are trying to find ways to make our 4 years (especially first 2) more enjoyable. Spartanburg is a great place to be. For a southerner I absolutely love it's location. 3 hours from Charleston, 2.5 from Knoxville, 3 hours from Atlanta, 1.5 hours from skiing, 1 hour from Asheville, 30 minutes from Greenville, 2 hours from Athens. It is a perfect spot to be and I hope that most of you that come to interview here will find it to be perfect for you. Sorry for the long post but this will probably be my only one but I encourage any of you to PM if you have any questions (whatever they may be). I won't check this that often but if you PM me, that will send me an email and I can respond better.

Best of luck!

Also main reason I chose this school was for the medical mission opportunities.

I haven't heard anything from Edward Via since my app was complete in early September, which surprises me because I'm a pretty good fit for their school considering what they advertise on their website. However, I am from Ohio and was wondering if anyone could offer perspective on their regional bias for II. Has their been any II's for applicants who are from the Ohio area?? I saw their website gave a brief rundown of the percentages they pick from a few states, Ohio not being mentioned, but the percentages also don't add up to 100 so it's obviously excluding some states..

If you don't mind -what were your stats? Did you ever get notification and how long was that after your app was complete? Mine was complete late last week and hoping to get an ii by the end of this week....

Interviewing Monday!! Really excited, but nervous. What kind of questions was everyone asked?

Interview was awesome! They said we should know by the end of the week! :D

Withdrew my acceptance to this school. I hope it goes to one of y'all :)

II for 2/12! I'm still waiting on the details. Do you guys know if they interview at your #1 campus choice or is it random?

II for 2/12! I'm still waiting on the details. Do you guys know if they interview at your #1 campus choice or is it random?

I am not sure I got interviewed at my #1 choice campus. Usually they do haven't heard anyone that hasn't interviewed at their top campus. Good luck!

I am not sure I got interviewed at my #1 choice campus. Usually they do haven't heard anyone that hasn't interviewed at their top campus. Good luck!

Oh okay, I know i put CC as my #1 and it was with Megan I spoke with so I'm gonna assume my interview is at that campus! I'm still waiting on the official email though.. I want to book a flight/hotel as soon as possible. I saw the post about hotel accommodations and that some host shuttle services. Anyone have experience on shuttle experiences vs renting a car?

Oh okay, I know i put CC as my #1 and it was with Megan I spoke with so I'm gonna assume my interview is at that campus! I'm still waiting on the official email though.. I want to book a flight/hotel as soon as possible. I saw the post about hotel accommodations and that some host shuttle services. Anyone have experience on shuttle experiences vs renting a car?

What date was your application complete? Mine was complete late January just wondering about the time line....

@Harvey Harvardson I just recently interviewed at CC and stayed at the Holiday Inn. They picked me up from the airport, drove me to the hotel, then to the interview... AND back to the airport. Definitely recommend! (Cheaper than renting as well.)

Last edited:
I stayed at the holiday inn too! But I drove to the campus and stuff cause I had my car :) It was nice!

@Harvey Harvardson I just recently interviewed at CC and stayed at the Holiday Inn. They picked me up from the airport, drove me to the hotel, then to the interview... AND back to the airport. Definitely recommend! (Cheaper than renting as well.)

If you CALL holiday Inn instead of booking online tell them you are there for an interview at VCOM and they'll give you a discount!