Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What date was your application complete? Mine was complete late January just wondering about the time line....
I was complete 10/31. I didn't hear anything back since then. I called the admission's office 2 days ago wondering about the status of my application and Megan suggested I write a LOI since I'm an out of state applicant. I received an interview the next day. :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on hotels/cars! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted this morning! Miss King could NOT have had better timing lol. Meltdown at work was made better with one phone call! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A!C!C!E!P!T!E!D!
Was in my absolute favorite store that I go to maybe but twice each year when I got the call! Alpine Chocolate Haus. Caramel apples and medicine... ? Fate. Yes, this is bliss. A literal slice of heaven. :soexcited::clap::biglove::banana::claps:

Reactions: 3 users
A!C!C!E!P!T!E!D!
Was in my absolute favorite store that I go to maybe but twice each year when I got the call! Alpine Chocolate Haus. Caramel apples and medicine... ? Fate. Yes, this is bliss. A literal slice of heaven. :soexcited::clap::biglove::banana::claps:
Accepted this morning! Miss King could NOT have had better timing lol. Meltdown at work was made better with one phone call! :D

Congratulations!!!!! I hope to see you all on March 28th!

To any and all current VCOM-CC students out there, I'm looking for your input! PLEASE be honest... it's getting down to the nitty gritty decision making time and I'm looking for any and all helpful information from you all! What drew you all to VCOM-CC? What do you like/dislike? What would you change? How many hours/day do you spend studying? Are the faculty, student-oriented? Do you feel the curriculum is set up to allow you to be successful? What schools were you deciding between? What made your decision to come to VCOM? How are the faculty with answering student questions/concerns? Do you get the required information for the exams within your lectures? Are the lectures essential? Or do you feel a lot of your learning as been on your own? ETC ETC ETC. ANY INFORMATION IS SOOOO APPRECIATED. Thank you all in advance :bow:

HAPPY MATCH DAY! :prof:

Hey, has anyone that has been accepted had to shadow a DO within the 30 days of their acceptance? I didn't have a DO reference letter and I know I have to shadow a DO by March 5th, but is there any specific form they need to fill out or a minimum number of hours? Or just write a small memo that I shadowed them for such-and-such hours?

I am excited for everyone on this campus and I feel this is a school I will apply to in the future. Congratulations on the acceptances and I wish everyone else to complete the cycle as stress-free as possible! :)
I read that yesterday was match day and I am anxious to see the results. I looked at the site and did a search on the site, but I cannot find a match list. :( Can someone help with this or is the list just not available yet? Thank you!

I put this school down in my primary app and only got an email saying they would review my profile and see if they would extend a secondary back in November. I still haven't heard back, but I didn't pursue it because I am applying to 10 other schools. However, seeing as I don't have any acceptances yet, I'm getting nervous. Do you guys it's worth calling to see if I can get a secondary or is it too late to have a realistic chance of getting in? (3.45cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 26)

I am excited for everyone on this campus and I feel this is a school I will apply to in the future. Congratulations on the acceptances and I wish everyone else to complete the cycle as stress-free as possible! :)
I read that yesterday was match day and I am anxious to see the results. I looked at the site and did a search on the site, but I cannot find a match list. :( Can someone help with this or is the list just not available yet? Thank you!

the match list for this current year wont be released to the public for another month or so until the ACGME match happens in march.
VCOM's match list is located in the year book for every graduating class on their webpage :)

I put this school down in my primary app and only got an email saying they would review my profile and see if they would extend a secondary back in November. I still haven't heard back, but I didn't pursue it because I am applying to 10 other schools. However, seeing as I don't have any acceptances yet, I'm getting nervous. Do you guys it's worth calling to see if I can get a secondary or is it too late to have a realistic chance of getting in? (3.45cgpa, 3.2sgpa, 26)

You could always give a call it wouldn't hurt. It might be a little surprising that you are just now calling about a secondary and not a while ago :)
Give a call and see what happens, worst that can happen is they say no so you got nothing to lose :) GOOD LUCK

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, has anyone that has been accepted had to shadow a DO within the 30 days of their acceptance? I didn't have a DO reference letter and I know I have to shadow a DO by March 5th, but is there any specific form they need to fill out or a minimum number of hours? Or just write a small memo that I shadowed them for such-and-such hours?

They will mail you that info with your acceptance letter. They want a letter from the doctor you shadowed to highlight your exposure to osteopathic medicine and qualities that would make you a good osteopathic physician.

They will mail you that info with your acceptance letter. They want a letter from the doctor you shadowed to highlight your exposure to osteopathic medicine and qualities that would make you a good osteopathic physician.

I got my acceptance letter though and it didn't have any information about it :/

Has anyone heard about match stats from VCOM? I need to stop browsing the forums on SDN. I read negative comments about the school and get freaked since I'm borrowing money for the deposit :(

Has anyone heard about match stats from VCOM? I need to stop browsing the forums on SDN. I read negative comments about the school and get freaked since I'm borrowing money for the deposit :(

VCOM-V matches pretty well. I heard VCOM-CC had a decent first match but most students did ACGME match, which will come out later this year.

I don't want to sound hateful and I am sorry if it comes out that way.
First of all SDN's opinion on D.O. schools is based on criterias which aren't really reliable so don't look at that. Second match list DOES NOT tell you anything... what does a match list say is the interests of the class for the year. Does VCOM match well? Yes it does. if you look at their past yearbooks on their website you can see that they matched in every specialty just depends on the year.
VCOM's match rate is 95% of people match into their top 2 or 3 choices (cant remember). that is pretty good in my opinion

Hope that helped your freak-out moment :)

I don't want to sound hateful and I am sorry if it comes out that way.
First of all SDN's opinion on D.O. schools is based on criterias which aren't really reliable so don't look at that. Second match list DOES NOT tell you anything... what does a match list say is the interests of the class for the year. Does VCOM match well? Yes it does. if you look at their past yearbooks on their website you can see that they matched in every specialty just depends on the year.
VCOM's match rate is 95% of people match into their top 2 or 3 choices (cant remember). that is pretty good in my opinion

Hope that helped your freak-out moment :)

Thanks! That helped a little. But it wasn't just match comments :( it was negative comments about their system for choosing clinical sites as well as their COMLEX scores. Which I know that Miss King addressed COMLEX scores during my interview, as well as taking the USMLE as well. And it's kind of partially up to you how well you do on the exam (studying or wasting time). It just made me really nervous about the program so I thought maybe seeing the match list specifically for VCOM-CC would help ease my nerves. :/

It wasn't hateful :) thanks for answering and trying to help! :D

Thanks! That helped a little. But it wasn't just match comments :( it was negative comments about their system for choosing clinical sites as well as their COMLEX scores. Which I know that Miss King addressed COMLEX scores during my interview, as well as taking the USMLE as well. And it's kind of partially up to you how well you do on the exam (studying or wasting time). It just made me really nervous about the program so I thought maybe seeing the match list specifically for VCOM-CC would help ease my nerves. :/

VCOM-CC first graduating class is this year so match list won't come out until April ish... u can look at vcom VC match. They'll be similar :)

Okie dokie :) best I can do I guess :p I'm still putting in my deposit here! When I interviewed, the students i spoke with didn't have anything but good things to say about the school.

VCOM-V matches pretty well. I heard VCOM-CC had a decent first match but most students did ACGME match, which will come out later this year.

Okay! Thank you! I'd say the two campuses should mirror each other pretty well. And I'm interested right now in EM or some sort of trauma (but that will probably change once I actually start doing rotations) but those residencies aren't TOO hard to get into Ive heard.... :) so I'm keeping the faith!

Okay! Thank you! I'd say the two campuses should mirror each other pretty well. And I'm interested right now in EM or some sort of trauma (but that will probably change once I actually start doing rotations) but those residencies aren't TOO hard to get into Ive heard.... :) so I'm keeping the faith!

Last edited:
And how good is "decent"? I'm accepted at VCOM-Auburn so I'm just trying to gauge this inaugural class as a reference lol

Awesome!! Any in general surgery or allopathic EM? I know Wake Forest has a nice EM program and they've accepted at least 1 DO student every year

5 gen surg, 1 plastic, 1 neurosurg, 1 ortho...Allo match isn't until next month

Reactions: 2 users
CAN I GET A WHOOP WHOOP??!! It's official. Paid my deposit today. Sent it in along with my offer of admission form. Over the moon to be part of the VCOM family. :love::biglove:

Reactions: 5 users
CAN I GET A WHOOP WHOOP??!! It's official. Paid my deposit today. Sent it in along with my offer of admission form. Over the moon to be part of the VCOM family. :love::biglove:

I sent mine in today too!! Congrats! Are you going to be at the shindig in March?

Yes, I'll be there! :horns:

So has anyone heard on the head count so far. What has been the time frame to send in deposit from time of acceptance? I am assuming they have already done sufficient (or scheduled) sufficient ii's to fill the class? Anyone heard???

I interviewed the 28th and Ms. King said each interview after that would be for wait list positions, but I have seen one other person get accepted after that date. I'm assuming there is a significant amount of movement going on right now as well. Between each interview there are probably people dropping and shifting their acceptances ...14 days for deposit!

for people wondering about the class being full, its not they still have seats but they are in limbo right now aka moving from acceptances to waitlist so im assuming its going to fill soon. I interviewed the 11th and thats what they said then!

This waiting is a real pain! Took two classes this semester, at their suggestion, ($3000 out of pocket) and if I don't get into this school it's a complete waste since no one else required it. Kind of frustrating.....hopefully I hear one way or the other in time to drop classes without penalty if rejected.

I interviewed the 2nd and there was no word on how close the class was to being full :unsure: sorry I can't contribute!

Good luck to you all waiting to hear back! I don't think the class is full yet I'm terms of people having paid their deposit. They might have alot of pending acceptances which can turn into paid deposit or not but keeps your hopes up! :)

WHOOP WHOOP!!!

Just got an II for 2/23.. I'm pumped to finally hear back, even if it is for a wait list spot you never know what could happen. I'm a northern Ohio resident officially complete in December. I called the office just a few days ago, amazing how that actually works on occasion.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an II for 2/23.. I'm pumped to finally hear back, even if it is for a wait list spot you never know what could happen. I'm a northern Ohio resident officially complete in December. I called the office just a few days ago, amazing how that actually works on occasion.
Your status says accepted - have you been accepted at other schools? Can you share your stats - just trying to gauge where they are in the process?