Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I am trying to fill out my secondary right now and I am confused writing my letter writer's info. For the Osteopathic Physician I shadowed, they ask me the college and year of graduation. Does this mean the college and graduation year of the doctor I shadowed? What did you guys put for these two boxes? And if it is, did you guys ask the DO directly what college they graduated from?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I am trying to fill out my secondary right now and I am confused writing my letter writer's info. For the Osteopathic Physician I shadowed, they ask me the college and year of graduation. Does this mean the college and graduation year of the doctor I shadowed? What did you guys put for these two boxes? And if it is, did you guys ask the DO directly what college they graduated from?
That form is for the D.O you received your letter of recommendation. I called and they said every box needed to be filled out or it will not let you submit.

You can find this info online..just google your doc and it will come up! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I called my doctors office cause my D.O Let, is my own PCP and I asked for his middle name and they kinda didn't say anything for 10 seconds LOL

I called my doctors office cause my D.O Let, is my own PCP and I asked for his middle name and they kinda didn't say anything for 10 seconds LOL

Yea so I was able to google his linked in and put those info in. Thanks guys!
And what if you don't have any info to put in? such as additional activities not in AACOMAS? should I fill in N/A for every single blanks on the application? :S

Yea so I was able to google his linked in and put those info in. Thanks guys!
And what if you don't have any info to put in? such as additional activities not in AACOMAS? should I fill in N/A for every single blanks on the application? :S
I found something to put in every box.

Hey did you get a secondary yet? I was complete on 7/12 and still haven't heard anything about a secondary application! I received some secondaries from other schools but not this one. UGHHH
Nope still nothing. I contacted them and they said they don't know when it will be sent but to keep checking my portal for updates... haha

Nope still nothing. I contacted them and they said they don't know when it will be sent but to keep checking my portal for updates... haha

Same! Haha the waiting game sucks. It is still early though so I can't complain.

Interviews start in early October unless you applied early decision. So I would assume they will start to call us in September for IIs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This wait is going to drive me crazy haha I think if they don't start interviewing until October, we probably shouldn't expect to hear back until the end of August or even September. I'm just surprised they start so late because most schools are already handing out IIs

Reactions: 1 user
For everyone worried about not receiving a secondary from them yet check your junk/spam folders. I had my primary in on 7/18 and turns out I got my secondary 7/25 but it was just sitting in my junk folder.

This wait is going to drive me crazy haha I think if they don't start interviewing until October, we probably shouldn't expect to hear back until the end of August or even September. I'm just surprised they start so late because most schools are already handing out IIs

Yeah this wait is definitely killing me as well. From last year's thread, they didn't send out invites until first week of September for non-early decision, so this will be a long wait..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah this wait is definitely killing me as well. From last year's thread, they didn't send out invites until first week of September for non-early decision, so this will be a long wait..
Thanks for sharing! I figured, but knowing definitely feels better! :) Now I can relax and focus on other things instead of checking my portal daily o_O makes me feel a little desperate and pathetic every time I log out from an empty portal haha

Thanks for sharing! I figured, but knowing definitely feels better! :) Now I can relax and focus on other things instead of checking my portal daily o_O makes me feel a little desperate and pathetic every time I log out from an empty portal haha

I would be working on other secondaries lol

Hey all, so for the LOR requirement.. :

"Two letters of recommendation and/or evaluation forms are required to complete the application for admission. These letters may not be submitted by a relative (by blood or through marriage). The first is shadowing a physician or completing another medical experience (e.g. working as a scribe; volunteering at a free clinic or physician's office; serving as an EMT; serving on a medical mission experience; etc.) is required prior to interview. A letter from a physician with whom you interacted is required. We recommend that experience and letter come from a D.O. in order to demonstrate your understanding and commitment to the osteopathic medical profession. If you cannot obtain a D.O. letter on a timely basis to complete your application, we will accept a letter from an M.D. However, if accepted, you will need to meet with and obtain a letter of recommendation from a D.O. within thirty days of your acceptance."

So, I am currently shadowing a D.O. and probably will not have the letter until September..if he agrees to write me one, that is. I do not have an M.D. letter-- only a letter from a physician assistant that sent me off to shadow physicians in several different specialties in the hospital. Should I still submit my secondary with the D.O.'s name and information in the corresponding boxes?..or should I wait?

Any input would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Anyone received a "complete" email yet for their secondary? I submitted 7/5, they marked it received 7/15, but still haven't marked it "complete." Getting nervous!

Hey all, so for the LOR requirement.. :

"Two letters of recommendation and/or evaluation forms are required to complete the application for admission. These letters may not be submitted by a relative (by blood or through marriage). The first is shadowing a physician or completing another medical experience (e.g. working as a scribe; volunteering at a free clinic or physician's office; serving as an EMT; serving on a medical mission experience; etc.) is required prior to interview. A letter from a physician with whom you interacted is required. We recommend that experience and letter come from a D.O. in order to demonstrate your understanding and commitment to the osteopathic medical profession. If you cannot obtain a D.O. letter on a timely basis to complete your application, we will accept a letter from an M.D. However, if accepted, you will need to meet with and obtain a letter of recommendation from a D.O. within thirty days of your acceptance."

So, I am currently shadowing a D.O. and probably will not have the letter until September..if he agrees to write me one, that is. I do not have an M.D. letter-- only a letter from a physician assistant that sent me off to shadow physicians in several different specialties in the hospital. Should I still submit my secondary with the D.O.'s name and information in the corresponding boxes?..or should I wait?

Any input would be much appreciated!
I think I would wait..what IF the D.O. does not write you one? I don't know, just my 2 cents. I wouldn't want to be caught in the situation where I put down a name who ends up not delivering :/ You still have time to deliver the D.O. letter. Maybe ask if the P.A. letter will do for now?

I think I would wait..what IF the D.O. does not write you one? I don't know, just my 2 cents. I wouldn't want to be caught in the situation where I put down a name who ends up not delivering :/ You still have time to deliver the D.O. letter. Maybe ask if the P.A. letter will do for now?
I'll give the office a call tomorrow, thank you!

Haven't submitted the secondary yet but just got a call from the admissions office to ask if I had any questions about the application...is this because they're specifically interested in me or does anyone just get this who hasnt submitted the secondary after a certain amount of time?

So..is there an unspoken rule when it comes to admissions? Do you all think it's okay to call them and ask a few q's about my app? Or does that make me "THAT PERSON" lol

Haven't submitted the secondary yet but just got a call from the admissions office to ask if I had any questions about the application...is this because they're specifically interested in me or does anyone just get this who hasnt submitted the secondary after a certain amount of time?
Hmmm...weird. I'm not an expert but I find it interesting, considering how many apps they get! :) Maybe it is a good sign, let's hope!!

lol lets be real here, they probably just want your money

While I thought they just want your money, during last year's thread, one person got a call to ask if they would submit their secondary since they were interested, and when that person submitted their secondary, he/she got an interview pretty soon after.

While I thought they just want your money, during last year's thread, one person got a call to ask if they would submit their secondary since they were interested, and when that person submitted their secondary, he/she got an interview pretty soon after.

I don't think that would apply here since they don't start sending invites out until next month right?

I don't think that would apply here since they don't start sending invites out until next month right?

I think it could still apply, negative nancy haha why not? What if they want that secondary in order to put that person on the list next month? :)

I think it could still apply, negative nancy haha why not? What if they want that secondary in order to put that person on the list next month? :)

lol well I hope that's the case! I just want them to move my app to the complete stage, but AACOMAS is dragging their feet with my MCAT scores

haha well thank you guys for the feedback! I was definitely planning to submit this secondary but was waiting for mcat scores (retook July 22) but the lady was so nice and said you can still submit the secondary whenever and it wont be a problem.

@ATPsynthase123 what do you mean? Don't the mcat scores get sent to AACOMAS pretty quickly after you send them from AAMC?

Its true that they don't start sending out invites, but I think if the school calls someone, they are interested. They have so many applications, and almost all of them will pay for the secondaries, so they will make money regardless.

So..is there an unspoken rule when it comes to admissions? Do you all think it's okay to call them and ask a few q's about my app? Or does that make me "THAT PERSON" lol

I emailed them recently about my status and they said they have everything they need thus far, and will let me know if they need anything else. I think if you inquire like once a month that is fine, and it gives them the impression that you are genuinely interested in their school. Thats what I plan to do until I receive further notifications from them.

haha well thank you guys for the feedback! I was definitely planning to submit this secondary but was waiting for mcat scores (retook July 22) but the lady was so nice and said you can still submit the secondary whenever and it wont be a problem.

@ATPsynthase123 what do you mean? Don't the mcat scores get sent to AACOMAS pretty quickly after you send them from AAMC?

My birthdate is wrong (for whatever reason) and I had to fill out a form and mail in documents to get it changed. It's a two week process to change it, and AACOMAS won't accept my scores unless everything matches my application 100%. Not a big deal though since most DO schools don't interview until sept-Oct.

That being said I'm interviewing at LMU-DCOM Sept 2nd, so it hasn't been a deal breaker so far! I'm really hoping a get an interview at either WVUSOM or VCOM-Va and CUSOM. Hopefully my state MD programs as well. I'd happily attend any of those, but i will take what I can get!

@ATPsynthase123 oh dang that's unfortunate but hope it gets all worked out soon! haha yeah I feel you, I'm a pretty borderline applicant so I'm also going for MD and DO, praying for any acceptance! good luck!

How did you guys decide between the three campuses? Was it purely location, location, location?

How did you guys decide between the three campuses? Was it purely location, location, location?

That's how it was for me. But there's also some reliability in choosing the older campuses. I'm not too informed on the difference between them all though, just how I looked at it.

I've been complete since 7/12 and still no secondary. I emailed them and they said that they don't send secondaries out to everyone and that if I fulfill the initial review, I will receive a secondary. How long will this take? It's been almost a month now!

Dang already 10 pages. Good luck. I was in your shoes last year.

Do you know how VCOM look at international students? I was quick to receive a secondary, but I am assuming they saw that I am international on my primary..

Do you know how VCOM look at international students? I was quick to receive a secondary, but I am assuming they saw that I am international on my primary..

I am honestly not really sure. I think maybe there is one in our class? It's super heavy on the southern states like NC, SC, and FL. About a 100-110 of us are from those states. Just an estimate. Hope I helped.

I am honestly not really sure. I think maybe there is one in our class? It's super heavy on the southern states like NC, SC, and FL. About a 100-110 of us are from those states. Just an estimate. Hope I helped.

Thanks. I have been in the US for over a decade, just haven't received my permanent residency yet, but they technically consider me international, so idk how that affects of my chances for a II.

Thanks. I have been in the US for over a decade, just haven't received my permanent residency yet, but they technically consider me international, so idk how that affects of my chances for a II.

Dang that's unfortunate. Ten years is a good while. I have never thought to ask some of my classmates. I am sure by the accents a few are originally international. Hope you get a II.

I love this school, but there is a new attendance policy that anyone applying here should be aware of. Students must attend 85% of each class now. An e-mail we received states that this block, we are allowed to miss (regardless of whether the absence is excused or unexcused):

Anatomy/Embryology – 3 lecture hours (out of 24 total lecture hours)
Cell Bio & Physio – 4 lecture hours (out of 27 total lecture hours)
Pathology – 1 lecture hours (out of 8 in-class lecture hours)
Pharmacology – 1 lecture hours (out of 9 total lecture hours)
PPC/OMM – 1 lecture hours (out of 7 total lecture hours)
CM Gastroenterology – 5 lecture hours (out of 34 total lecture hours)
CM Nephrology – 3 lecture hours (out of 21 total lecture hours)

We are hoping no one gets sick on days when we have 2 pharmacology lectures in a row...

Surely the professors would understand if you were sick and incapable of coming.