Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how long after your interview you are told a decision? and if accepted, how long you have to accept or decline your seat?

After your interview, within 3-4 weeks you should be notified if you have been accepted. And I was told I had until December 14 to make a decision if I was accepted into the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 9/13 and just got the acceptance phone call a few minutes ago. They said the admissions met this morning so I suspect other people should be getting calls too.

Edit: They did say I had until 12/14

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted! Have till Dec to pay deposit. Interviewed last week.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! One of the greatest feelings in the world!

I also interviewed on 9/13.

Reactions: 6 users
I believe I was complete 7/26 and got an invite 8/17.

What were your stats? I'm sitting at a 3.5/503 with good ECs. It's literally the only DO school I have not heard from.

Think I would be shooting my self in the foot by emailing admissions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What were your stats? I'm sitting at a 3.5/503 with good ECs. It's literally the only DO school I have not heard from.

Think I would be shooting my self in the foot by emailing admissions?

My stats are 501 and ~3.6 sGPA. I think it would be worth emailing them - I never got a complete email or an email for my interview invite. I don't think you'd be "shooting yourself in the foot" - I emailed them for help after NOT reading that the secondary application wasn't accessible until 48 hours later, but I still got accepted lol.

My stats are 501 and ~3.6 sGPA. I think it would be worth emailing them - I never got a complete email or an email for my interview invite. I don't think you'd be "shooting yourself in the foot" - I emailed them for help after NOT reading that the secondary application wasn't accessible until 48 hours later, but I still got accepted lol.

Yeah, I'll do that tonight then. If I can get accepted here, then I will definitely put the deposit down. Great school, great location, and impressive rotation sites. Not to mention it's only a short drive from my home town!

Would anyone mind posting the secondary questions? I wanted to start writing up this schools supplemental as I was to receive it, just applied. Thanks so much in advance ! :)

Got a interview.. this monday. My stats are 3.9 science GPA 3.82 regular GPA biochem major strong extra circulars and good research for 6+ semesters! Not a resident of the area where they like to accept people!

MCAT 502. (very weak compared to everything else)

Good luck to anyone in my shoes!!
and congrats to those accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
i'll be accepting my acceptance to VCOM, looking forward to meeting other who are doing the same!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys! First SDN post so I hope I'm doing this right. MCAT=514, cGPA=3.64, sGPA=3.59.

I submitted my secondary to VCOM-VC on 8/25 and just got an II today--my first!!! I'm so excited!! Does anyone have any advice for their interview?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys i just wanted to ask but are the interviews traditional questions or MMI format? And for anyone who interviewed how long were the interviews? and how many interviews if more than one? Thanks!

How long did it take for you to go from complete to II? I've been complete for 5-6 weeks and I am debating on contacting admissions for a status update on Monday.

Completed August 12th, still waiting to hear back too

I'm actually waiting on hearing from 4 schools still but I do have 2 interviews scheduled so I might make it

So sorry to keep nagging....but any of the current applicants who are ahead in the process mind posting the secondary prompt? Pretty please? :)

So sorry to keep nagging....but any of the current applicants who are ahead in the process mind posting the secondary prompt? Pretty please? :)

I think the first page of this thread has some information on that. Also you may try googling "VCOM Secondary Prompt 2016-2017"

I found these on the second page:

1) Describe three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your....
2) Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance....
3) Please describe a volunteer or service activity that...
4) In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year...
5) If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework...

But they don't appear to be the full questions, nor provide a word limit?

Is anyone still waiting on a completion email? I received my secondary the day after being verified but I am still not complete after over a month! I emailed them weeks ago and they said the typical "it can take awhile a lot of applicants."

I found these on the second page:

1) Describe three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your....
2) Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance....
3) Please describe a volunteer or service activity that...
4) In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year...
5) If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework...

But they don't appear to be the full questions, nor provide a word limit?

Dude, first page it says to look at the Auburn page. It has all that there...

Is anyone still waiting on a completion email? I received my secondary the day after being verified but I am still not complete after over a month! I emailed them weeks ago and they said the typical "it can take awhile a lot of applicants."

Yeah I am still waiting for one for over 2.5 months. They said it can take 3 months for getting the complete email.

Yeah I am still waiting for one for over 2.5 months. They said it can take 3 months for getting the complete email.
Omg that is insane! Seeing other people submit after and become complete before you is mind boggling. Im guessing they pick and choose who to complete first rather than in order.

Omg that is insane! Seeing other people submit after and become complete before you is mind boggling. Im guessing they pick and choose who to complete first rather than in order.

Yeah that's what I feel like too. Hopefully we hear some good news soon!

3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 503 MCAT

Very good ECs.

This is so odd! Your stats are fantastic and other school already accepted you. Did they say why you are not getting an interview? Mine was complete on 8/24/16 but my MCAT is less than 500. 3.51 gpa, 10 years experince in mental health and substance abuse treatment.

This is so odd! Your stats are fantastic and other school already accepted you. Did they say why you are not getting an interview? Mine was complete on 8/24/16 but my MCAT is less than 500. 3.51 gpa, 10 years experince in mental health and substance abuse treatment.
P.S. I read online an article from a former member of admissions committee for med school. He stated that because of the high volume of applications, sometimes committee drops number of application and reviews the other. Luck of a draw

I was complete 5 weeks ago

I've contacted admission and all they will tell me is that my application is in review by the committee and that it can take up to 4 months..

After waiting since July, I just got my application complete email! I'm still waiting on my MCAT scores from September and a letter from a D.O. I'm shadowing (sent them one from a faculty mentor of mine who's an M.D.) but they know those should be coming in to them soon. Really hope I can interview here again; VCOM is such an awesome program.

Last edited:
for current students, are we allowed to attend VT football games for free?

Not a student (sorry) but I think it's a lottery system of sorts for you like everyone else at VT

Just interviewed yesterday. This school looks great! Its part of V tech. Everyone was very nice. Good luck to future interviewers.

Interviewed 10-6-16
It's an amazing school! Interview is open file (They do read your essays)! Hope to hear good news in 3-4 weeks

Anyone interview on Thursday 10-6?
I interviewed that day!
Hope everything went well for you.
Interviewing here was a great experience for me, excited to hear back in a few weeks and will hope for the best :)

I've been complete since late august. Is it too soon to email and ask for a status update? I don't know if that will reflect poorly. I usually have a lot of patience but I really like this school.

I've been complete since late august. Is it too soon to email and ask for a status update? I don't know if that will reflect poorly. I usually have a lot of patience but I really like this school.

I did and they told me that once complete it can take between 2 weeks-4 months for the committee to make a decision on your application. They refused to give me a definite answer.

I did and they told me that once complete it can take between 2 weeks-4 months for the committee to make a decision on your application. They refused to give me a definite answer.

Wow that's crazy. I appreciate your response and hope the best for both of us! It's a great school.

Just got II yesterday. I haven't logged in yet, but anyone know recent interview dates?

Should I Email VCOM and let them know I have a journal article in review as second author? I didn't think it would be submitted until spring, but my PI came through early

Should I Email VCOM and let them know I have a journal article in review as second author? I didn't think it would be submitted until spring, but my PI came through early

What is your status at the moment? Pre/post-interview?

What is your status at the moment? Pre/post-interview?

Should be submitted for review by the end of next week. We have been doing revisions and rewriting for the past month. Idk how long the peer review proceeds lasts before publication