Edward Via - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called them a few weeks back asking an update on my application. I'm from CA and they said they haven't gotten to this region of the country yet- anyone from the west coast receive an II?
makes sense. Im from CA as well and its been complete silence for me since sept.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder if they've gotten to the Midwest. It's been silent for me since August. Have they sent out any rejections yet? I'm not expecting an interview this late, but it'd be nice to know where I stand officially.

Primary submitted 3rd week of August, secondary request 8/25. Submitted within 1 week. Marked complete 9/24. Called early December to check on status, was told it can take up to 3 months. I asked if I should call back in a few weeks since that would be the 90-day point. Got an email around the Holidays asking me to re-submit my secondary with a basic science professor marked as the science faculty (which I submitted but didn't mark as the science faculty, i used a 300 level course that was not accepted). I was asked to do this so my file could be moved along in the process (sounded like good news to me! if they didn't like my file enough at that point then they would've already rejected me). Resubmitted the secondary with the correction that same day, and haven't heard back since.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from NC. I was complete late August/ early sept, crickets from them since.

Reactions: 1 users
Does everyone get a complete email? I checked my document status on their portal (the vcomvcamp site) and it's showing everything is received. Just haven't heard from them since my secondary invite.

Does everyone get a complete email? I checked my document status on their portal (the vcomvcamp site) and it's showing everything is received. Just haven't heard from them since my secondary invite.
When did you submit your secondary?

November 1 *hangs head in shame* lol
LOL no need to feel ashamed..after the secondary, there's really not much we can do but wait and try not to go crazy!! Unless you waited 3 months until you submitted your secondary haha

November 1 *hangs head in shame* lol
Also, some people here have stated that it can take a few months until you hear back because they are super busy with apps right now. I hope this helps...So don't lose hope just yet! :)

Do you know if they like LOIs? Does it mean anything to them? According to some forums here it depends on the school...What is an appropriate time to submit one? I was thinking post secondary...?

I can't speak on behalf of the admissions office, but in my experience a LOI is never a bad idea...if your secondary has been hanging out for a while with no interview invite and you are sure that this is a school you would come to if accepted...I'd send it

I can't speak on behalf of the admissions office, but in my experience a LOI is never a bad idea...if your secondary has been hanging out for a while with no interview invite and you are sure that this is a school you would come to if accepted...I'd send it
Thank you!! I was thinking the same thing..

Hard decision cause the faculty here were so kind, but withdrew my acceptance here. Hope it goes to one of you!!

Question for MS1 currently attending VCOM- Does VCOM give homework (like worksheets, papers, lab reports, etc)? I believe it is mostly studying for exams, but I was not completely sure. I am trying to think what my schedule will be like.

Members don't see this ad :)
makes sense. Im from CA as well and its been complete silence for me since sept.

I second this. Did you get a complete email at least? I called back in November to ask about my application and they said they were still reviewing it....

So I know that VCOM has a slow application process, and is fairly incommunicado on most things, but I figured I'd ask how many people didn't receive any communications after the primary (i.e. no secondary, no confirmation, etc)? Should I hold out hope for a secondary this late in the game? Do they usually send out communications stating that I won't be receiving one?

Stats (for those who are interested):
fairly low GPA (~3.0, non-trad, got my life back on track and went back to school at 23, and worked full-time to support myself while a full-time student), 31 MCAT, published research (even though I'm listed as 3rd author of 4), around 2000 hours clinical experience (worked at a hospital as clinical transporter while in college), EMT, etc.

Last edited:
Actually, no. My sGPA is 2.8ish, but neither one is above 3.0. I'm non-trad with most of the poor academic performance almost a decade ago and a steep upward curve (4.0 last 5 semesters or so)
Congratulations!!! You must have had other great ECs on your application then :)

I'm from MD and have been complete since early September. I sent them an email in November asking about the status of app since I hadn't heard a peep from them and they said they're still working through apps. Still haven't heard anything since that. From the looks of this thread I'm in good company lol.

II!!
Submitted app a little late (11/24), complete 1/5, II on 1/18.

Anyone who interviewed here have any advice on the interview day? I tried reading through the forum to see if anyone had any tips, but would love to learn even more about it!

II!!
Submitted app a little late (11/24), complete 1/5, II on 1/18.

Anyone who interviewed here have any advice on the interview day? I tried reading through the forum to see if anyone had any tips, but would love to learn even more about it!
Grats! What are your stats/LizzyM?

...any other recent IIs? VCOM is my 1st choice since it's in-state for me.

Same here :( silence...waiting on complete email.

FYI I called them today and they said that I was complete but my application was sitting at Application Services, so the lady I spoke with was going to send an email to have it sent to ADCOM.

FYI I called them today and they said that I was complete but my application was sitting at Application Services, so the lady I spoke with was going to send an email to have it sent to ADCOM.
Hmmm....so what's the hold up? What does "Application Services" do? Trying to figure out if I should call as well...

Did you receive a complete email?

Hmmm....so what's the hold up? What does "Application Services" do? Trying to figure out if I should call as well...

Did you receive a complete email?

I never received a complete email but submitted my secondary 12/4. Everything from VCOM goes to my spam, so I've had to check regularly and figured it was worth a call.

I never received a complete email but submitted my secondary 12/4. Everything from VCOM goes to my spam, so I've had to check regularly and figured it was worth a call.
That makes sense! I try to check my portal for any messages, but I'm not sure if it'll show up there if I was complete. I'll try to wait a little longer (although it's killing me lol) and then call them in a few days. Thank you for the heads up!!

Same here :( silence...waiting on complete email.

You might want to email/call them just to confirm. I never received a complete email either so I kept calling and emailing, and I finally got a reply last week confirming that my application is complete. At least I know I've done everything on my end lol.

You might want to email/call them just to confirm. I never received a complete email either so I kept calling and emailing, and I finally got a reply last week confirming that my application is complete. At least I know I've done everything on my end lol.
How long did it take for you to be complete? Does it show on the portal whether you're complete or not? Did you get an II? Losing my mind lol :scared:

How long did it take for you to be complete? Does it show on the portal whether you're complete or not? Did you get an II? Losing my mind lol :scared:

Well the portal marked everything as complete but people kept saying they got a complete email. So that's why I kept emailing to get some sort of confirmation. ...I haven't gotten an II yet :(. Hopefully it happens soon.

Well the portal marked everything as complete but people kept saying they got a complete email. So that's why I kept emailing to get some sort of confirmation. ...I haven't gotten an II yet :(. Hopefully it happens soon.
Hmmm...I don't see that option on my portal. I only see my documents with a check mark on it, but it doesn't indicate whether it is complete or not. I get your point about needing confirmation :( I feel the same way.. When I called a week ago I was told that it was under review but I'm not sure what that means. I think there's not much we can do but wait and hope! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! Always stay positive :)

II on Tuesday! I'll be interviewing next week Soooo excited as this is my top choice!

Regarding the last couple of comments, I had green checks for a couple of weeks in the portal before I finally got my "complete" email (in spam folder btw), so be patient! Seems to take a while to get the "complete" message.

Hmmm...I don't see that option on my portal. I only see my documents with a check mark on it, but it doesn't indicate whether it is complete or not. I get your point about needing confirmation :( I feel the same way.. When I called a week ago I was told that it was under review but I'm not sure what that means. I think there's not much we can do but wait and hope! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! Always stay positive :)

Oh sorry, that's what I meant--everything was checked off.

Well if it's under review that's some good news at least! Hoping it works out for us both :)

Oh sorry, that's what I meant--everything was checked off.

Well if it's under review that's some good news at least! Hoping it works out for us both :)
I hope so too!! I'm going to be so burned out by this summer hahah

Question for MS1 currently attending VCOM- Does VCOM give homework (like worksheets, papers, lab reports, etc)? I believe it is mostly studying for exams, but I was not completely sure. I am trying to think what my schedule will be like.
No. Nothing like home works. just a lot of exams, sometimes 2 a week. Block 1 is challenging. Make sure u are on top of your biochem, genetics and immune. All in all, vcom is a great school. They will challenge u. u will be fine

Do you know if they like LOIs? Does it mean anything to them? According to some forums here it depends on the school...What is an appropriate time to submit one? I was thinking post secondary...?
Yeah, it doesn't hurt to send them. Send to Ms. Jordan, tell her your intention and impressions, and keep them posted on any new events that can help ur admissions. the worst thing is giving up

Accepted students,
Do you know if the Hep B Consultation Form needs to be completed by Feb 15 as well! You need to fill that out if you are non-immune after 2 vaccination series. Obviously I can't get a second series before the 15th! Thanks in advance!

Accepted students,
Do you know if the Hep B Consultation Form needs to be completed by Feb 15 as well! You need to fill that out if you are non-immune after 2 vaccination series. Obviously I can't get a second series before the 15th! Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure it out myself. I've already had my hep B shots but I dont think I ever got the antibody titer done. Also, do you know if an old TB arm test will suffice or do I need to get it re-done?

I'm not sure. I'm trying to figure it out myself. I've already had my hep B shots but I dont think I ever got the antibody titer done. Also, do you know if an old TB arm test will suffice or do I need to get it re-done?
You need to get a Hep b titer and Hep C test! You should be immune but if you are not then you get a second series of hep b vaccines. Once you are ppd positive you are always positive, so you do the chest X-ray. The skin test might be done yearly cause you can be exposed anytime!

Newly accepted student here!

AACOMAS submitted 8/1
Secondary invitation 9/18
Complete 11/10 (Took a long time due to MCAT score sending issues)
Interview Invitation 12/14
Interview 1/5
Acceptance 1/21

Newly accepted student here!

AACOMAS submitted 8/1
Secondary invitation 9/18
Complete 11/10 (Took a long time due to MCAT score sending issues)
Interview Invitation 12/14
Interview 1/5
Acceptance 1/21
Nice!

Were you on the waitlist before, or did you just not hear about an outcome til today?

Btw, does anybody know if the waitlist is very big and if there is a decent chance for some movement?

You need to get a Hep b titer and Hep C test! You should be immune but if you are not then you get a second series of hep b vaccines. Once you are ppd positive you are always positive, so you do the chest X-ray. The skin test might be done yearly cause you can be exposed anytime!
Thank you!!! I'm going to a walk in clinic near my college to get those done.

Nice!

Were you on the waitlist before, or did you just not hear about an outcome til today?

Btw, does anybody know if the waitlist is very big and if there is a decent chance for some movement?

They hadn't started a wait list yet. It was about to get started though I think. They promised everyone I interviewed with decisions in about two weeks.

They hadn't started a wait list yet. It was about to get started though I think. They promised everyone I interviewed with decisions in about two weeks.
Gotcha. I had my interview a week ago and they wait listed me. So was just wondering if I still have a chance. But thanks.

Hard decision but I just declined my interview...hopefully it goes to someone here who has been patiently waiting :)

I will also be declining my interview... IS with LizzyM ~68, secondary submitted late December, complete 2 weeks ago, and II received yesterday. Good luck to the rest of you!

Gotcha. I had my interview a week ago and they wait listed me. So was just wondering if I still have a chance. But thanks.
I interviewed last year on Feb and got wait listed. Out 18 applicants on the wait list, I make it to the top 5. I didn't get a seat, but they offered me a position for the class of 2020. So worst case you would get an offer for the next class, but it depends on how much movement they have.

I interviewed last year on Feb and got wait listed. Out 18 applicants on the wait list, I make it to the top 5. I didn't get a seat, but they offered me a position for the class of 2020. So worst case you would get an offer for the next class, but it depends on how much movement they have.
That's a bit of a bummer. This school was my top-pick out of all my ii so far. When does waitlist movement usually happen though? And would you happen to know how they feel about a L.O.I.?
Thanks.

That's a bit of a bummer. This school was my top-pick out of all my ii so far. When does waitlist movement usually happen though? And would you happen to know how they feel about a L.O.I.?
Thanks.
The movement happens as other applicants get accepted at other schools. Most of the movement take place by April I think, and I did send LOI and updates to my application. It is still early for the wait list so you should be fine, when you get to be in the first 10 of the wait list they would send you an email letting you know to be ready.