Edward Via - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a secondary received/almost complete email today. I submitted my secondary on 7/18...

Members don't see this ad.

I just received a complete email and I submitted my secondary almost a month ago. It says this about time timeline:

"We will begin reviewing completed applications in early August, 2015 and will schedule our first interviews for early decision applicants in mid-September, 2015 and for our general application pool in early-October, 2015. We will continue to interview into spring, 2016. Once your application is reviewed, we will be certain to provide you with an update on your status."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a complete email and I submitted my secondary almost a month ago. It says this about time timeline:

"We will begin reviewing completed applications in early August, 2015 and will schedule our first interviews for early decision applicants in mid-September, 2015 and for our general application pool in early-October, 2015. We will continue to interview into spring, 2016. Once your application is reviewed, we will be certain to provide you with an update on your status."
OCTOBER?! :wideyed:

Reactions: 4 users
Was there a due date or timeline to submit this secondary?

Hi friend. I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for this one because I asked admissions if they would be sending out completion emails and they were like uhhhhhhh idk I'll look into it and two days later BAM! (I'm a post-bacc here so I asked in person when they were speaking to our class about the admissions process).

Also their timeline does seem to be later. They were telling the post baccs to submit their secondaries at the latest by October and said acceptances would start to be handed out in January.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi friend. I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for this one because I asked admissions if they would be sending out completion emails and they were like uhhhhhhh idk I'll look into it and two days later BAM! (I'm a post-bacc here so I asked in person when they were speaking to our class about the admissions process).

Also their timeline does seem to be later. They were telling the post baccs to submit their secondaries at the latest by October and said acceptances would start to be handed out in January.
I hear its harder to get into VCOM for general people applying because something like 30% of the post bacc students matriculate in automatically.

I hear its harder to get into VCOM for general people applying because something like 30% of the post bacc students matriculate in automatically.

They matriculate between all three campuses though. Only Virginia & N. Carolina residents in the post bacc program are allowed to matriculate to the Virginia campus and we have students from all over the place, so a majority of the students will have to go to the Carolinas campus or Auburn!

Just a side note: I have really had a good experience so far at VCOM. Everyone is extremely friendly and they care so much about their students and their success. They really spend time with students teaching them different ways to study and provide so many resources if you are struggling with the new work load of medical school. They also spend a lot of time designing their tests and selecting test questions that are reflective of the boards, as well as prepare you to complete tests within the time limit allotted for the boards. Overall, thumbs up so far!

Reactions: 2 users
They were telling the post baccs to submit their secondaries at the latest by October and said acceptances would start to be handed out in January

Man...January for acceptances, that's for non-postbacs too?

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the secondary yesterday after being verified on Monday :) it says to allow up to 48 hours to gain access to it though

just got the secondary yesterday after being verified on Monday :) it says to allow up to 48 hours to gain access to it though
Pre-write it, it is so lengthy, took me almost a week to finish it

Still no secondary. Got an email today saying it could take 2-3 months to get one. Anyone else think that sounds like a load of crap and that submitting the primary was a waste of time? The class could be full before I even get a secondary...

Still no secondary. Got an email today saying it could take 2-3 months to get one. Anyone else think that sounds like a load of crap and that submitting the primary was a waste of time? The class could be full before I even get a secondary...
i never received that email

I got it because I asked them what was going on, it didn't go out to everyone. I'm just trying to figure out why I have to wait over a month for a secondary

I got it because I asked them what was going on, it didn't go out to everyone. I'm just trying to figure out why I have to wait over a month for a secondary
thats strange...Idk, i also didnt expect them to tell us II's wouldnt happen till october either.

I just got an email saying they want to wait to send me a secondary app until after my first semester grades are in. I'm a little confused because I'm in a master's program at KCUMB and my undergrad gpa should be higher than their screening (3.45c, 3.15s, 26). I feel like waiting until my grades in January would be too late to get a secondary. Should I call them?

I just got an email saying they want to wait to send me a secondary app until after my first semester grades are in. I'm a little confused because I'm in a master's program at KCUMB and my undergrad gpa should be higher than their screening (3.45c, 3.15s, 26). I feel like waiting until my grades in January would be too late to get a secondary. Should I call them?

They don't give secondaries out to everyone who meets their minimum. They do a full review before sending secondaries. It explains this in more detail on their website. However, I don't think it'll be too late!

Lol... I just got a VCOM open house email and I almost jumped out of my chair thinking that it was an interview invite.
VCOM why u do dis to me... :blackeye:

My experiences at vcom has been very wonderful. I think this a great medical with both faculty and staff who are vested in our success. Course load is very demanding but the support provided by the faculty makes it a little easier. The students in my class are incredibly smart, but very friendly. I can't imagine having gone anywhere else. It's a blessing to be part of this great community. The faculty have a way of breaking down complicated material to your level of understanding. Just want to encourage everyone who is applying this cycle that it's worth it.

My experiences at vcom has been very wonderful. I think this a great medical with both faculty and staff who are vested in our success. Course load is very demanding but the support provided by the faculty makes it a little easier. The students in my class are incredibly smart, but very friendly. I can't imagine having gone anywhere else. It's a blessing to be part of this great community. The faculty have a way of breaking down complicated material to your level of understanding. Just want to encourage everyone who is applying this cycle that it's worth it.

Can you talk a little about their mandatory attendance policy? Do they video record lectures? If not, do they at least provide comprehensive notes for the exams?

There's so much information to be learned, it's frustrating when schools make you jump through hoops just to figure out what's on the exams. Just hoping you can elaborate a little more on the process at VCOM.

Can you talk a little about their mandatory attendance policy? Do they video record lectures? If not, do they at least provide comprehensive notes for the exams?

There's so much information to be learned, it's frustrating when schools make you jump through hoops just to figure out what's on the exams. Just hoping you can elaborate a little more on the process at VCOM.
Attendance is mandatory but you have a total of 8 full days off, unquestioned if you wish not attend classes or 17.5 half days. All Classes are video recorded and you can watch them any time, anywhere. There are review sections prior to exams, and if you need tutoring, VCOM provides that too. Plus all the professors have an open door policy.
I don't think the attendance policy is much of a problem because it makes you accountable and helps you not to fall behind. The worst thing is to fall behind in your studies. And I was thinking about the dress code the other time, and I thought, you know what, we are now professional students, and there has to be a distinction between us and undergrads. Although we are expected to behave as adults, if there were no dress codes, it is likely to find someone coming to class with pjs.
But all in all, I think this is a great school, a place where you are not just left to wander around your medical school education. The faculty just wants everyone to succeed. I have been very happy with the knowledge of the faculty so far. They know their stuff

Attendance is mandatory but you have a total of 8 full days off, unquestioned if you wish not attend classes or 17.5 half days. All Classes are video recorded and you can watch them any time, anywhere. There are review sections prior to exams, and if you need tutoring, VCOM provides that too. Plus all the professors have an open door policy.
I don't think the attendance policy is much of a problem because it makes you accountable and helps you not to fall behind. The worst thing is to fall behind in your studies. And I was thinking about the dress code the other time, and I thought, you know what, we are now professional students, and there has to be a distinction between us and undergrads. Although we are expected to behave as adults, if there were no dress codes, it is likely to find someone coming to class with pjs.
But all in all, I think this is a great school, a place where you are not just left to wander around your medical school education. The faculty just wants everyone to succeed. I have been very happy with the knowledge of the faculty so far. They know their stuff
what are your board scores like?

what are your board scores like?
Don't know the exact figure but talked to some third year guys and their scores were pretty solid both on the comlex and usmle. And vcom has very good residency placements, so I guess its great. they provide you with the resources to excel.

Don't know the exact figure but talked to some third year guys and their scores were pretty solid both on the comlex and usmle. And vcom has very good residency placements, so I guess its great. they provide you with the resources to excel.
VCOM dont tell their own students scores? what?

VCOM dont tell their own students scores? what?
I said I didn't know the exact figure which doesn't mean VCOM don't tell us their board score. One thing I know though, is that they have great outcomes which I saw before I decided to come here. they give you all that information during your interview. My education at VCOM will get me to where I want to be as a physician. Didn't come here to argue or challenge anyone. Just wanted to encourage folks by letting them know about my own impressions so far. Good luck, stay blessed

the VCOM student didnt know about this either so it wasn't as easy to find now was it
@businessdoctor : sorry for the unintended tone. i appreciate your help as does everybody here
I knew about it, but just didn't have the energy to search for the link for you. And I didn't want to give you figures based on guesses. But wish you luck. stay blessed

Just got the complete email.

I finished the secondary on 8/6
Got the received your secondary email on 8/18
And just got the your file is complete email today 8/31

So I got an email from Addmisions asking me to call them asap. I called a few times but nobody answered. Is that how they invite people for interviews? What's going on lol?

I know this has probably been asked to death, but when everyone says they screen secondaries, is it just a brief MCAT/GPA cutoff or are they really looking into each applicant to see if the applicants they choose to invite to complete the secondary matches their mission? I am just trying to gauge whether the secondary is any indication of my chances for an interview...

I know this has probably been asked to death, but when everyone says they screen secondaries, is it just a brief MCAT/GPA cutoff or are they really looking into each applicant to see if the applicants they choose to invite to complete the secondary matches their mission? I am just trying to gauge whether the secondary is any indication of my chances for an interview...
i think there is a 3.2 gpa cut off. Not sure.

They use more criteria than just GPA/MCAT to screen. Also, their GPA cutoffs are only for the last 120 hours.

Something to note -- roughly 1/3 of their Virginia class attended Virginia Tech for undergrad. They obviously give some preferential treatment there.

Before they would mark my application complete the admissions director emailed me to ask how I was going to fix my physics 1 grade. She said they only accept C and higher and I got a C-. I didn't know they would even give me a secondary. There allowing me to retake it in the spring and still be reviewed by the admissions commitee now. I was complete as of August 28.

Hey guys. Quick question. On the secondary, it's asking for the date of graduation and school of graduation for the DO letter of recommendation. What if I don't know that info. It's not letting me submit without that info.

Hey guys. Quick question. On the secondary, it's asking for the date of graduation and school of graduation for the DO letter of recommendation. What if I don't know that info. It's not letting me submit without that info.

This is usually pretty public information if you do a quick google search of the doctor.

Congrats!
just wonder if anyone got II without indicating earlier decision? I submit my 2nd about one month ago and have not got a complete email. I wonder if that is normal ?!?

QUOTE="willfb1992, post: 16854444, member: 606634"]JUST GOT MY II FOR EARLY DECISION!!![/QUOTE]

@jennifer1585 someone has said previously that they wont start non-early decision IIs until oct, not sure how accurate this is but seems to be good info. It took over a month for my application to be complete even though I submitted the secondary 2 days after I recieved it in beginning of July.

This is usually pretty public information if you do a quick google search of the doctor.
Oh wow I'm an idiot. That's the reply I got from the admissions department too. Should have thought of that lol

Just got the secondary! My app was also just verified today (this morning), so that was a quick turn around. I also haven't even taken my mcat yet and won't be taking it for another week. I'm hoping this is indicative of the school's interest in me!