Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing this Monday 11/19 :soexcited: :soexcited:
I just got the complete email yesterday and got a call today so this happened really quick :)
Can anyone pm me or comment about the interview questions asked? I really want to go here so don't want to screw up the interview in any way.
I am an IS Virginia Tech undergad.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance today and I am super, super excited!!

In terms of questions, the interview is very laid back and the interviewers (and everyone there) really do put you at ease. Be ready to explain any weaknesses in your application as you will probably be asked about them by one interviewer. And have questions, the interviewers I had created their questions based on what I asked them about and my interests outside of school. Otherwise look at the link posted earlier in this post...the questions there really helped me to prepare for the interview. Good luck!!!

I got an acceptance today as well! very excited especially b/c it's my first acceptance.
If anyone has specific questions please ask. I would love to help. But BmoreHopeful is right, the interview is more of a conversation and laid-back. Everyone there is sooo nice. Asking about medical missions is always a plus b/c most of the faculty have some experience with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got acceptance today too :) ..first and only interview so far...interviewed on Monday...Great school...nice people...

Congratulations guys!

In terms of questions, the interview is very laid back and the interviewers (and everyone there) really do put you at ease. Be ready to explain any weaknesses in your application as you will probably be asked about them by one interviewer. And have questions, the interviewers I had created their questions based on what I asked them about and my interests outside of school. Otherwise look at the link posted earlier in this post...the questions there really helped me to prepare for the interview. Good luck!!!

I got an acceptance today as well! very excited especially b/c it's my first acceptance.
If anyone has specific questions please ask. I would love to help. But BmoreHopeful is right, the interview is more of a conversation and laid-back. Everyone there is sooo nice. Asking about medical missions is always a plus b/c most of the faculty have some experience with that.

Got acceptance today too :) ..first and only interview so far...interviewed on Monday...Great school...nice people...

So today I received an email so I had been invited to complete the secondary application. However, the email didn't have a link or an application attached. What is odd though, is I received an email on 10/3 saying my application was put on hold due to summer/fall grades and that I should update them when my classes are finished.

I replied to the email asking about the secondary, but am I overlooking anything on their website, and is this possible too late to be submitting a secondary?

So today I received an email so I had been invited to complete the secondary application. However, the email didn't have a link or an application attached. What is odd though, is I received an email on 10/3 saying my application was put on hold due to summer/fall grades and that I should update them when my classes are finished.

I replied to the email asking about the secondary, but am I overlooking anything on their website, and is this possible too late to be submitting a secondary?

For some reason I also got the same email but I have already received the application complete email and interviewed on Wednesday. I emailed about what I could be deficient I since I already had the interview but didn't get a response yet. Hopefully they accidentally sent me that instead of the acceptance email. Haha. Wishful thinking but we'll see.

Congrats to those recently accepted, hopefully ill also be a classmate of yours.

For some reason I also got the same email but I have already received the application complete email and interviewed on Wednesday. I emailed about what I could be deficient I since I already had the interview but didn't get a response yet. Hopefully they accidentally sent me that instead of the acceptance email. Haha. Wishful thinking but we'll see.

Congrats to those recently accepted, hopefully ill also be a classmate of yours.

I called. I received it also and have been complete for a week. The admissions staff requested it be sent out. I would surmise it was sent to all. Not just those in need of a secondary.

Hey everyone, I am a long time lurker on this forum. Needless to say, VCOM is my number one choice and I was wondering if they send out interview invites all at once or over a period of time. I called the other day to check to see the status of my application and was informed that it was literally on the desk being reviewed. I have been trying to stay positive and patient but it is actually causing more of a distraction than I thought (trying to study for a re-take of the MCAT means that pretty much ANYTHING can distract me!)

My stats aren't really that strong from UG but my grad work is very strong. I am working on my MPH currently and already hold a masters degree. Unfortunately, my MCAT is really weak so I am anticipating the worst but am hopeful since I applied really early and was complete by the middle of August. Any input as to how the admissions office goes about offering interviews would be appreciated since I do not want to call again and am trying to limit the calls to about once a month (just to keep them posted as to my interest, but not too much that I become a nag).

I got my call from Whitney yesterday also! This is my number one. I was actually on my way to interview at Marian and decided to cancel. Very excited and blessed to have this opportunity. Good luck to those still in the application process.

Hey everyone, I am a long time lurker on this forum. Needless to say, VCOM is my number one choice and I was wondering if they send out interview invites all at once or over a period of time. I called the other day to check to see the status of my application and was informed that it was literally on the desk being reviewed. I have been trying to stay positive and patient but it is actually causing more of a distraction than I thought (trying to study for a re-take of the MCAT means that pretty much ANYTHING can distract me!)

My stats aren't really that strong from UG but my grad work is very strong. I am working on my MPH currently and already hold a masters degree. Unfortunately, my MCAT is really weak so I am anticipating the worst but am hopeful since I applied really early and was complete by the middle of August. Any input as to how the admissions office goes about offering interviews would be appreciated since I do not want to call again and am trying to limit the calls to about once a month (just to keep them posted as to my interest, but not too much that I become a nag).

Just got accepted this week after interviewing on Monday (was offered the interview Tuesday the week before via phone). VCOM-VC has been my top choice for months and I was getting interview invitations from all over the place but was hearing nothing from VCOM. The admissions office has had a lot of turnover this year and I think the staff is a little overwhelmed which accounts for some backlog. I emailed Whitney every 2-3 weeks and she would respond within 24 to 48 hours. They want people who want to be there so continue to contact them often to see what your status is. At their open house last month they said they are doing 2 interview groups/week now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should we only join if we for sure know that we will be matriculating here?

I'm on the fence enve though I love this school

Being on the fence is plenty good enough for me! :D please join if you'd like too

Ok anyone whose committee was supposed to meet last Thursday still not get an acceptance/rejection email/call? I'm of course going out of my mind and noticed that a few from my session already got accepted but I haven't heard either way.. Curious if they couldn't evaluate me yet because my evaluations weren't turned in that night, or if I am going to get that dreaded rejection email. I don't want to bother them just yet since I know how busy they must be so I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

withdrawing/declining from my interview on the 27th hope it goes to one of you guys!

withdrawing/declining from my interview on the 27th hope it goes to one of you guys!

Well maybe I will get some love from VCOM today...

My understanding is that you do not get a complete email until the actual review is complete and a complete email will be followed by: II, decline, hold, need more info....

Anyone understand the process differently?

She called me and offered me an II. Later that day I received the complete email and the II email (separately). So I think you are correct in saying that you don't get a complete until a decision has been made.

Well maybe I will get some love from VCOM today...

My understanding is that you do not get a complete email until the actual review is complete and a complete email will be followed by: II, decline, hold, need more info....

Anyone understand the process differently?

hello folks! quick question for all of you (especially those already students at VCOM): since the mission of VCOM is to increase the number of primary care physicians does that mean that VCOM can restrict your residency placement to only primary care? Because I was accepted to VCOM and love everything about the school; however my interests are in surgery. Let me know ur feedback !

hello folks! quick question for all of you (especially those already students at VCOM): since the mission of VCOM is to increase the number of primary care physicians does that mean that VCOM can restrict your residency placement to only primary care? Because I was accepted to VCOM and love everything about the school; however my interests are in surgery. Let me know ur feedback !

No, you won't be restricted. VCOM grads have gone into derm, ortho, radiology, general surgery, neurosurgery, anesthesiology, etc.

Ahh, so I'm finally complete (have been for about 3 weeks.) I should probably email tomorrow, huh?

Hey guys, I am interviewing Dec. 4 and was just curious how many people are there per interview group? Can't wait to see VCOM! Thanks!

just withdrew my app and confirmed w/ mr. sanders/gail

gluck guys

I really hope I hear something positive today...

Interview invite today. Been complete since early August.

Hey guys, I am interviewing Dec. 4 and was just curious how many people are there per interview group? Can't wait to see VCOM! Thanks!

My group had 7 people. I guess it's not more than 10 people

Interview invite for 12/3! I wanted to see if anyone that has already interviewed had gotten any healthcare questions especially since the election? It seems interview questions are mainly focused on your individual application/involvements and stats at the moment rather than ethical-type questions from what i've read on this thread, or is this wrong?

Interview invite for 12/3! I wanted to see if anyone that has already interviewed had gotten any healthcare questions especially since the election? It seems interview questions are mainly focused on your individual application/involvements and stats at the moment rather than ethical-type questions from what i've read on this thread, or is this wrong?

There are 3 separate interviews at VCOM. I didn't receive any ethical questions except during the student interview and that wasn't concerning healthcare but concerned general things like with alcohol and peer pressure. The students have a list of questions and they have to choose like one of each type of pre-written questions and there are ethical issues in this list.

The professor interviews are about your background and are very conversational. Not sure if other people had this happen but I am pretty sure I was matched with my interviewers because of my background. We were able to talk about things that I hadn't been able to discuss at other schools because the interviewers weren't familiar with the field I am working in.

When should I be expecting a decision if I interviewed last Monday? Ms. Mills said that the committee will meet this Thursday. Do they call the same day, Friday or Monday if you are accepted?

For those of you who have interviewed here, were you able to leave your baggage at the admissions office? Thanks

Yea, there is a small room in the admissions office where you leave all your baggage and come back after every interview

Am I right in assuming the turn around time from 'complete email' to ii is about 3 days or so? Do you get a rejection email or letter in the mail?

Am I right in assuming the turn around time from 'complete email' to ii is about 3 days or so? Do you get a rejection email or letter in the mail?
It took about five weeks for me to get an II phone call from the time I received the completion email, so I suppose it varies quite a bit.

got the interview and complete email on wednesday - FL resident 3.9/32 mcat - I have not scheduled an interview cause it is so hard knowing when to - I'm trying to save energy for my 3 MD interviews all within a five day period.

Still no love from VCOM for me :(. I am calling on Monday!

Last edited:
Still no love from VCOM for me :(. I am calling on Monday!

I called them on Friday. She said they are behind and even though she said I would hear in 3 weeks, do not be discouraged because my app was in the final stages of review.... not sure what that means!!

I interviewed 12/5 and was thouroly impressed with this school. VCOM offers so much more compared to other D.O. schools that I have interviewed at (6 in all). This is definitely my first choice.

Did the committee meet yesterday? Anyone hear back yet or know when we should hear about a decision?

I received a call from Whitney King and I interviewed Dec. 4

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has recently received a call for an interview offer. I spoke with the admissions office earlier this week and was told that my application is "in the pile" to be reviewed" and a final decision would be made shortly. However, I was also informed of this same information before Thanksgiving and would rather have a definitive answer regardless of the outcome (it is better than the indecision I am currently feeling at the moment).

I understand that my application is not as strong as other applicants number-wise, but I have a strong Graduate GPA (working on second masters degree) but have a weaker MCAT. I have extensive international experience. To say the least, this is my top top TOP choice and I would be honored if they gave me a shot at an interview. My MCAT is my weakest enemy at the moment. I am currently studying for a retake (even though I have been distracted by a lack of information regarding an interview vs. hold for MCAT).

I am sorry for the cathartic post, but mainly am wondering what the whole "final review" process is like and if this is just a way of politely saying that I am in an application hold status. Any information would be appreciated from current students and applicants in relieving some of my worries. I certainly did not expect this level of uncertainty when I applied this summer and knew that although my MCAT is weak, VCOM would be able to see through that and really get a sense of my passion for serving the most vulnerable populations of the world. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Last edited:
i emailed yesterday about my status and whitney called me this morning to invite me to interview! what a coincidence! ill be interviewing jan 14 due to scheduling conflicts, but im pretty sure there are still some interview dates open in dec

That's great news! I keep waiting but I am getting use to the sound of silence....

i emailed yesterday about my status and whitney called me this morning to invite me to interview! what a coincidence! ill be interviewing jan 14 due to scheduling conflicts, but im pretty sure there are still some interview dates open in dec

I'm with you on that front.... crickets over here but I am not giving up. It is discouraging but I have been at this for many years and I am not going to let this discourage me (even though with the passing months it gets significantly harder to concentrate on the present time of what I should be doing to improve TODAY and not let your mind wander to the future). It is hard to take the set backs especially when you really pour your heart into what you do and really want to show schools that you are not a "risk" but rather an asset. I certainly know that all I have done on this journey was not done in vain and has made me a better person through and through (just gotta keep up the faith and hope for that "one shot!")

Congrats to all who are getting interviews and got acceptances, I know you will all do awesome!!!!