Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea that did help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed last Tuesday, and I think the admissions committee meets today! Nervous and excited for their decision!

They do meet today

update: I didn't get accepted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
They do meet today

update: I didn't get accepted.

How did they let you know? Not sure if I should be expecting an email or a phone call. I'll consider no news as good news for right now.

they will call you. i got the call around 3pm yesterday and i interviewed on monday

Yay!!! I was accepted to VCOM-VA today!! I got the call from Whitney today! It sounds like such a great school.

Also got the call today!!!! Now I'm stuck between VCOM and PCOM though. Really tough decision to make over the next month.

I'm visiting my sister out in New Mexico and don't get service, but I saw Whitney left me a voicemail so I'm assuming that means there's good news :)

Aw man, I heard GREAT things about PCOM. Too bad I haven't heard a single thing from them. I even called to ask about my status and they didn't tell me anything.

Also got the call today!!!! Now I'm stuck between VCOM and PCOM though. Really tough decision to make over the next month.

Aw man, I heard GREAT things about PCOM. Too bad I haven't heard a single thing from them. I even called to ask about my status and they didn't tell me anything.
I too haven't heard anything from PCOM or VCOM. Complete in November for both...hmmm...

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I right in assuming the turn around time from 'complete email' to ii is about 3 days or so? Do you get a rejection email or letter in the mail?
I've been complete for over a month with no word. There's no set timeframe between complete e-mail and decision e-mail.

I'm visiting my sister out in New Mexico and don't get service, but I saw Whitney left me a voicemail so I'm assuming that means there's good news :)

well i called admissions today, and it's official :) i've been accepted. looks like i've gotta start buyin some hokie colors

Hi all,

I received a PM with some great questions. I'm going to post it here with identifying aspects redacted so that everyone can benefit from it. I need to turn off PMing, so I won't be available that way, but please continue to ask questions here and I will do my best to answer them!

Hey! I saw you were a current student, and I am trying to make a decision between two programs. I know this is your first year, but as far as you can tell are there ample research opportunities, or do you know how hard it is to get involved in research? I have 2 friends at another school and they said they're hoping to do research during the summer after their first year because they can get a stipend of about 500$/week and they're hoping to supplement their income a little bit. Are there opportunities like that at VCOM?

... Also I have a few other questions sorry. Are the lab coats supplied? And it seemed like they were hinting at the fact that study rooms are few and far between and kind of hard to come by. Do you find it's hard to find a good place to study or have any difficulty finding a spot? Also, I know some schools form study groups, is that the case at vcom or is it more free-form?

As far as research: VCOM is a new school (10 years old) and does have some research opportunities, but I wouldn't say it's ample. The administration is putting a big effort into obtaining more funding for more research, but it seems at this point if a student wishes to be involved in research it's their responsibility to meet the faculty and show the interest. For research over the summer, there is a program, but I don't think many students take advantage of it. The summer break here is only about 1 month long, so there's not a whole lot of time. I do think you get a small stipend, but $500 for the month is probably closer to what you'll really get.

For your other questions:
You will need to buy some sort of clothing to wear in the anatomy lab. There is a handful of lab coats that are available, but it's a first-come-first serve basis each week. In general, you'll be better off buying 3 sets of scrubs (there are a handful of weeks where we are in anatomy lab 3 times, and I don't like doing laundry mid-week), and wearing some older tennis shoes that still have good tread.

You will get an embroidered short white coat at your White Coat Ceremony, but you won't want to wear it during anatomy lab. It's more appropriate for SP (Standardized Patient) testing and for ECE's (Early Clinical Experiences) during your second year. Then of course you'll be wearing it every day during third/fourth year. I'm going to look into getting a second coat, but it will be at my own cost.

As far as studying, there are probably 13-15 Group study rooms to use, and then there is a quiet room off the library with cubicles set up for individual study. You can also use tables in hallways, or work in the small cafeteria with headphones. I'm generally a home study-er, so I can't really make a statement concerning the difficulty of finding one.

The school does not designate official study groups, so you are free to find people you can work well with. There are rare instances where you will be assigned to a small group to discuss a lecture or complete a short assignment. These meetings can usually easily be done in an hour or less.

Hope this helps with anyone's decision!

As far as studying, there are probably 13-15 Group study rooms to use, and then there is a quiet room off the library with cubicles set up for individual study. You can also use tables in hallways, or work in the small cafeteria with headphones. I'm generally a home study-er, so I can't really make a statement concerning the difficulty of finding one.

Also, Virginia Tech has a few study spaces open 24/7 and they are more comfortable than the spaces at VCOM. Lots of VCOMers have spent long nights (and whole nights) studying at Torgersen Hall.

Also, Virginia Tech has a few study spaces open 24/7 and they are more comfortable than the spaces at VCOM. Lots of VCOMers have spent long nights (and whole nights) studying at Torgersen Hall.

To any and all VCOM students - what is your favorite part about the program/least favorite part?

To any and all VCOM students - what is your favorite part about the program/least favorite part?

Personally I love the systems-based approach. There is lots of overlap in many of your classes, so you end up hearing the same thing in a couple different ways in quick succession. Really helps with retaining the info.

My least favorite part is sometimes the scheduling between labs/tests/lecture etc. gets a little wierd. There are avenues for the class to petition to get a schedule change as long as they get it in to MedEd well in advance, so it really doesn't come down to being a huge issue. I'm generally not a pessimist/complainer though, and I'm just thankful to be in med school, so it's really kind of hard for me to see negatives.

Can we really not eat in the lecture halls? What do you do if you get hungry?

Does anyone know how many seats are left in the class? I was offered an interview Jan 10th, but unfortunately I couldn't make it until Jan 31st. I hope this doesnt hurt my chances of being accepted. Also any idea what kind of situational questions the students ask in the third interview?

Does anyone know how many seats are left in the class? I was offered an interview Jan 10th, but unfortunately I couldn't make it until Jan 31st. I hope this doesnt hurt my chances of being accepted. Also any idea what kind of situational questions the students ask in the third interview?

I hate to sound negative, but I interviewed in the first group after christmas break and they told us at the beginning of our interview day they only had about 20 seats left and that was a few weeks ago. I think 4 people from my group were offered a seat, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Some people won't end up taking their acceptances and some people that have already put in a deposit might decide to go elsewhere. I got asked questions like what i thought a weakness of mine might be or to describe a situation that tested my ethics and what I learned from it, what I would do differently. Nothing was too unusual. I really enjoyed each of my interviews.

Can any VCOM students tell us about the dress code? I know it's business casual, but every school has different interpretations. I am a guy, so is it kakis and a polo shirt (short sleeve/long sleeve?), which is tucked in right?

Can any VCOM students tell us about the dress code? I know it's business casual, but every school has different interpretations. I am a guy, so is it kakis and a polo shirt (short sleeve/long sleeve?), which is tucked in right?

Yes, Khakis and a short polo shirt with nice shoes is minimum. Of course, there are people that push it with tennis shoes, not tucking their shirt in, etc. I haven't seen any over repercussions.

I usually wear khakis with a button-up shirt most days, usually without a tie and my sleeves rolled up. That's about the norm; there is a handful of guys that wear a tie every day, but they are certainly the minority.

Can anyone comment on the 1500 you have to pay to hold your spot. I've already paid it because this the first acceptance I've received, and VCOM is an excellent school and one of my top choices, but I still have to here from a few schools that may make the decision tough. The 1500 to hold the seat doesn't bind us to the school right??

I know we lose the 1500 if we decline later :( all part of the fun I guess.

Good luck everyone

Yea I know it sucks to have to pay so much money. All of my interviews were after the deadline and I wanted to definitely have an acceptance under my belt and not risk it. Oh well, just rest knowing that you will definitely be a physician even if you get rejected from every other school- that's what I tell myself at least. I've had 4 MD Interviews and have been waitlisted at almost all of them.

Can anyone comment on the 1500 you have to pay to hold your spot. I've already paid it because this the first acceptance I've received, and VCOM is an excellent school and one of my top choices, but I still have to here from a few schools that may make the decision tough. The 1500 to hold the seat doesn't bind us to the school right??

I know we lose the 1500 if we decline later :( all part of the fun I guess.

Good luck everyone

Anyone who interviewed last Thursday 1/31 get a phone call or email??

No phone call or email for me yet and I interviewed last thursday. I'm dying to know though.

Oops. Wrong thread :oops:

Last edited:
I called them today. Said they aren't meeting until Monday.

Yea I called too and they said the same thing.

Any interview advice?

Most cliche but true advice ever... Just e yourself.

Also, don't be too formal. I dunno about med school admissions committees, but when I interview people to hire them for a job I always hate it when people are too formal. It's like I don't know what that person is actually like, I am only seeing their super duper formal self. It's kind of lame.

So be yourself, and be professional, but not so formal that they can't get a sense of who you are.

Most cliche but true advice ever... Just e yourself.

Also, don't be too formal. I dunno about med school admissions committees, but when I interview people to hire them for a job I always hate it when people are too formal. It's like I don't know what that person is actually like, I am only seeing their super duper formal self. It's kind of lame.

So be yourself, and be professional, but not so formal that they can't get a sense of who you are.
Thanks

so vcom did not call or email anyone again today for the 1/31 group... does anyone know what time to expect to hear a phone call?

I have no idea. I wish they would let us know what's going on. If I hear anything ill let you know.

woot woot interview feb 27! late in the game, but its better now then never =)

I got waitlisted. interview 1/31. so sad. But i guess there is still hope

Neither. I called them today and asked what my status was. They said I was waitlisted, they thought they sent out an email on monday (yesterday) but that I just must not have gotten it. I would call and ask yourself if you havent heard anything.

Class is full. Waitlisted for class of 2017. Interviewed 1/31. Hoping to come off wait list eventually. I really want to attend VCOM.

Class is full. Waitlisted for class of 2017. Interviewed 1/31. Hoping to come off wait list eventually. I really want to attend VCOM.
Seriously?! I'm interviewing here on the 19th, and it's just for a waitlist spot?! That sucks. I've already booked my flight/hotel/rental car too! I wish they'd tell you these things in advance so you don't waste your money.

Seriously?! I'm interviewing here on the 19th, and it's just for a waitlist spot?! That sucks. I've already booked my flight/hotel/rental car too! I wish they'd tell you these things in advance so you don't waste your money.

With it being so late, you should probably assume this for any interview you have. But remember you could be interviewing for the #1 waitlist spot, which will almost certainly turn into an acceptance.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD. Typos may be present. I hope there are some hilarious ones.

With it being so late, you should probably assume this for any interview you have. But remember you could be interviewing for the #1 waitlist spot, which will almost certainly turn into an acceptance.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD. Typos may be present. I hope there are some hilarious ones.
Yep, thanks.

Generally speaking, do schools tell you whether or not you're interviewing for a waitlist spot, or is it just naturally assumed after a certain date?

Yep, thanks.

Not trying to be a smart-ass, sorry if it came off that way. I certainly feel your frustration with the situation.

Generally speaking, do schools tell you whether or not you're interviewing for a waitlist spot, or is it just naturally assumed after a certain date?

I wouldn't expect the schools to tell you, but some might if you ask. I would pretty much assume after January that all classes are full. Probably earlier for schools that have smaller class sizes.