Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do I have a shot here as an Illinois resident?

3.68c/3.62s/25

Good luck to everyone else!

Statistically yes but VCOM HIGHLY values regional applicants and those who fulfill their mission. Being from and/or committed to rural/Appalachia or international missions medicine is a must.

Members don't see this ad :)
cGPA 3.54/ sGPA 3.43 applicant here.

Really excited about this school and know someone that is really excelling in their program there. I went to undergrad in rural NC (east of the appalachian mountains) and currently live in Raleigh. Would this fit into their regional bias?

You'd probably have a higher chance if you apply to the carolinas campus.

cGPA 3.54/ sGPA 3.43 applicant here.

Really excited about this school and know someone that is really excelling in their program there. I went to undergrad in rural NC (east of the appalachian mountains) and currently live in Raleigh. Would this fit into their regional bias?

Will apply here.

In the county I was from, my town was considered big even though we only had about 7k-8k people. I like rural areas, but I need to be at least semi close to cities. I mean the most fun thing to do in my town is to go bowling or walk around wal mart... Its sad I know.

Hello everyone:

I would like to know what are my chances of getting in with the following?

Degree in Psychology (Honors) and Biology
cGPA 3.62 sGPA 3.50 MCAT 24
Strong ECs (publication, research and shadowing for over 2 years, work experience, community service, leadership)

Thanks and please no mean comments!

How do I look for VCOM-VA?

Resident of rural Central VA.
Nontraditional 26 yo

AACOMAS (just calculated) cGPA: 3.44 (140+ credits) sGPA: 3.64 gGPA: 4.0 (19 credits)

MCAT 28 (P11/V8/B9)
1 DO letter from VCOM alumnus

EC: Shadow 2 DOs and 1 MD for 50 hrs, soup kitchen and food bank 50 hrs, sell art based on a hobby of that I started in college. I knew the director of the EMS department while in undergrad, and he allowed me to volunteer doing administrative stuff as well as assist him and the EMS instuctors for field exercises approx 100 hrs.

I think you should be able to get an interview and if you do well, an acceptance. 24 is kinda on the low side imo.

Hello everyone:

Strong ECs (publication, research and shadowing for over 2 years, work experience, community service, leadership)

I think you should be good for VCOM. Could use more ECs though.

How do I look for VCOM-VA?

Resident of rural Central VA.
Nontraditional 26 yo

AACOMAS (just calculated) cGPA: 3.44 (140+ credits) sGPA: 3.64 gGPA: 4.0 (19 credits)

MCAT 28 (P11/V8/B9)
1 DO letter from VCOM alumnus

EC: Shadow 2 DOs and 1 MD for 50 hrs, soup kitchen and food bank 50 hrs, sell art based on a hobby of that I started in college. I knew the director of the EMS department while in undergrad, and he allowed me to volunteer doing administrative stuff as well as assist him and the EMS instuctors for field exercises approx 100 hrs.

Could someone show me where on the VCOM website that they discuss "Additionally, shadowing a physician or another medical volunteer experience is required and a letter of recommendation from a physician or other medical professional from that experience is required. If that experience was with a DO all requirements will be met. If not, the student may be required to spend time meeting with a DO prior to interview. See the VCOM website and secondary application for ways to meet this requirement if a DO did not write the second required letter."

I have not shadowed/gotten a letter from a D.O. specifically, but I am trying to find out what VCOM says is the way to meet the requirement without having the D.O. write the second letter.

Florida.. My sGPA is actually 3.59. I don't know if it would help me but I am a disadvantaged student, hispanic and female. Thanks for the help!

State of residency?

Florida.. My sGPA is actually 3.59. I don't know if it would help me but I am a disadvantaged student, hispanic and female. Thanks for the help!

As an applicant from Illinois, would I have a better chance applying here or at the Carolina campus?

I think you'd just have to show a great interest in the mission of the school. Rural underserved care and international missions. Tailor your secondary to that, read up on the school when filling out your secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone:

Why would someone leave a mean comment? If you look at VCOM's website you will see that it's listed as 25 as being a competitive MCAT score, so you're not far off. Is it balanced? I think you will be we of with your ECs and URM.

Good luck, I hope we see each other in the future.

Applied

3.51 cGPA, 3.45sGPA, 28Q as of now, scheduled for a July 25 retake.

Lots of Music in undergrad, hospital volunteering, community volunteering, research, and working now as a medical assistant for a dermatology office.

Applied

3.51 cGPA, 3.45sGPA, 28Q as of now, scheduled for a July 25 retake.

Lots of Music in undergrad, hospital volunteering, community volunteering, research, and working now as a medical assistant for a dermatology office.

You don't need to retake a 28 for DO. Btw this school is in VA.

I am in for VCOM with 3.15/3.35 c/sGPAs and aiming for 28+ mcat...What's the minimum mcat should I get so I can be competitive for VCOM?

I am in for VCOM with 3.15/3.35 c/sGPAs and aiming for 28+ mcat...What's the minimum mcat should I get so I can be competitive for VCOM?

I would aim for 30+. Do you have a strong upward trend? Are those GPAs taking into account the AACOMAS grade replacement? If you are from rural Appalachia you may have a little extra leeway, but it's not something I would count on.

I would aim for 30+. Do you have a strong upward trend? Are those GPAs taking into account the AACOMAS grade replacement? If you are from rural Appalachia you may have a little extra leeway, but it's not something I would count on.

Not from rural Appalachia.... These are my AACOMAS GPAs and I have somewhat an upward trend--3.6+ overall in the last two year but 2.1 in last quarter... I am kind of surprise that you said I need a 30+ mcat when it's only my cGPA that is below average... I heard VCOM average mcat is 25 and I thought that I would need a couple points higher than their average to compensate for my lackluster cGPA. Anyway, if my mcat is 26+, I will apply because VCOM is a school I would like to attend...

Not from rural Appalachia.... These are my AACOMAS GPAs and I have somewhat an upward trend--3.6+ overall in the last two year but 2.1 in last quarter... I am kind of surprise that you said I need a 30+ mcat when it's only my cGPA that is below average... I heard VCOM average mcat is 25 and I thought that I would need a couple points higher than their average to compensate for my lackluster cGPA. Anyway, if my mcat is 26+, I will apply because VCOM is a school I would like to attend...

If you look here you will see that your cGPA is below the stated minimum to be considered competitive. I don't know for sure if it will weed you out before the secondary or not, but it could happen. I only wanted you to shoot high as a possible way to get yourself out of that situation. A 26 probably wouldn't do it. But I don't know your whole situation, so I wish you luck on the MCAT and with your application.

If you look here you will see that your cGPA is below the stated minimum to be considered competitive. I don't know for sure if it will weed you out before the secondary or not, but it could happen. I only wanted you to shoot high as a possible way to get yourself out of that situation. A 26 probably wouldn't do it. But I don't know your whole situation, so I wish you luck on the MCAT and with your application.

Thanks... I was not aware of that 3.2 GPAs requirement... Will not apply then...

Thanks... I was not aware of that 3.2 GPAs requirement... Will not apply then...

If you are going to be applying to other schools, and could add on VCOM without a significant cost increase, you should still apply. I don't want to discourage you from that since you seem to like VCOM. I'm not the admissions director so I really can't say anything one way or the other, I just don't want to you short-change yourself on your MCAT.

If you are going to be applying to other schools, and could add on VCOM without a significant cost increase, you should still apply. I don't want to discourage you from that since you seem to like VCOM. I'm not the admissions director so I really can't say anything one way or the other, I just don't want to you short-change yourself on your MCAT.

We'll see what happen with MCAT score but VCOM is a school I definitely would like to attend. :thumbup:

Question from another thread:
NontradCA said:
What's your basic schedule like as far as lecture and lab? Actually can you post the answer in the vcom 2013-14 thread :p:love:

Basic schedule is class from 8-12 every day, 1 hour for lunch. At least 1 OMM lab per week in the afternoon with 1 hour of lecture prior, and then from 0-3 Anatomy labs per week (depends on where you are in the block) with +/- 1 hour lecture prior to those. So in general you are looking at a minimum of one full day 8-5 with lunch; at most 4 full days 8-5. Keep in mind that we average 2 tests/week probably, and they almost invariably start at 8 am and will run until 10 am; then you will have lecture until noon after.

I still have two tests to go before I'm done with my first year, so I'll try and give a more thorough answer later. :)

Question from another thread:

Basic schedule is class from 8-12 every day, 1 hour for lunch. At least 1 OMM lab per week in the afternoon with 1 hour of lecture prior, and then from 0-3 Anatomy labs per week (depends on where you are in the block) with +/- 1 hour lecture prior to those. So in general you are looking at a minimum of one full day 8-5 with lunch; at most 4 full days 8-5. Keep in mind that we average 2 tests/week probably, and they almost invariably start at 8 am and will run until 10 am; then you will have lecture until noon after.

I still have two tests to go before I'm done with my first year, so I'll try and give a more thorough answer later. :)

Thank you :). So is there anything that is covered in exams that's not covered in lecture and/or lab? It's system based curriculum in 10 week blocks correct?

Thank you :). So is there anything that is covered in exams that's not covered in lecture and/or lab? It's system based curriculum in 10 week blocks correct?

It is systems based, the blocks vary in length a little bit but average is 10 weeks. Some professors will tell you they only test out of their lectures; others may give some assigned readings but really I don't feel like I've come across a question that wasn't covered in the lecture.

Some of the powerpoints get intimidatingly long; others are probably a little too short/basic (but still cover the info tested). Just the way it goes when you have various professors.

The administration is really pushing each lecturer to give clear objectives at the beginning of each lecture and to try and hold their questions to those objectives, which seems to be working.

Just got an email from admissions saying they received my AACOMAS application and that the committee will begin reviewing applications in the next 2-3 weeks.

Just got an email from admissions saying they received my AACOMAS application and that the committee will begin reviewing applications in the next 2-3 weeks.

I JUST found this in my spam folder and thought it was a secondary for a moment.

Does VCOM do a large cut before sending secondaries?

I JUST found this in my spam folder and thought it was a secondary for a moment.

Does VCOM do a large cut before sending secondaries?

Yes they do.

I got my secondary last Wednesday. Still haven't finished it yet though.

I received a secondary today, but it listed Carolina campus with no option of changing. I think I prefer SC anyway. Good luck everyone!!

What do you guys know about the reputation of VCOM? (USMLE scores). VCOM is my top choice (girlfriend is going there this fall, and I can join in the following year.)
I have a 32 MCAT and 3.92 gpa. I hope that I have a chance. From VA, but live in AR.
How does it compare to other DO schools like TCOM and WV-COM?
Do any of you know what the secondary questions are?

Could you please post the secondary questions and if there are any character of word limits?

Anyone else having problems with this secondary?

I can't even find the save or submit buttons... let alone any essays....

So glad I checked this thread...just found my supplemental in my spam folder which is 2 weeks old. I probably would have missed it completely if it wasn't for you guys.

As I started the supplemental, I starting to feel a little concerned about some of the questions. I'm a PA resident from NJ, have never lived anywhere remotely rural though I have been on one international volunteering trip. MCAT 27, GPA 3.5.

I added this school to my list on a whim, not completely realizing the regional, rural preference.

I am tempted just to wait and see if I even feel it is worth applying at this point. I have a interview lined up at a more local school (LECOM).

The essays themselves aren't that bad, I just don't want to drop another 50 bucks if you know what I mean. Do you think it's worth it?

Since you seem a little iffy I'd say fill it out and if you happen to get waitlisted from lecom send it in.

Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if somebody would be willing to post the secondary essay prompts? Are they the same as the Carolinas Campus secondary? Thanks!

I added this school to my list on a whim, not completely realizing the regional, rural preference.

Don't let the regional preference thing fool you. VCOM students come from all over the country...66% are from states that touch the Appalachian mountains, but the last graduating class had students from Florida, California, Arizona, Utah, Texas, North Dakota, Michigan, etc.

If you like what VCOM offers, then apply.

I took a look at the #s VCOM seems like a school in my stat range, assuming the Appalachian bias doesn't cut me out.

With that said, I'm pretty interested in this school now. I have a few questions:

1. What's the overall thoughts on this school in terms of board scores, residency placement, etc.
2. How's the campus and are there adjacent graduate institutions nearby?
3. How competitive is the DO/PHD program, how do we get considered and what are thoughts on it? I'd be very down to doing DO/PHD if possible.

Thanks to anyone who's able to answer a couple of q's!

I was wondering if somebody would be willing to post the secondary essay prompts? Are they the same as the Carolinas Campus secondary? Thanks!

Can anybody shed some light? Thanks...

They're the same as the carolinas campus and the questions are posted in that thread.

anyone not receive the secondary yet? I was verified a month ago.

NVM found it in my spam, they're holding out on me until my MCAT retake