Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Capitalmed,

I received my II confirmation & details email this morning at 7:49!
Same here! I'm interviewing 11/6! Super excited!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey what were stats and when were you complete? If you mind me asking...:)

hmm still not able to find it. I can find the carolinas campus page though. Do you have it set to private or something? Perhaps you can invite me. Its Shelby Lorraine Lutz on fb
Let me try to change the settings, I'll add you and make you admin

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm still not able to find it. I can find the carolinas campus page though. Do you have it set to private or something? Perhaps you can invite me. Its Shelby Lorraine Lutz on fb
In order to add you I had to request you on FB, but here is the exact name of the group "VCOM Virginia Class of 2018 " and the URL " https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcom2018va/ "...The group is set on closed so shouldn't have trouble finding the page, but I think adding you will make it easier. Once I do that I can just make you an admin.

Last edited:
For those of you that want to join the FB group the new link is https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcom2018va/ ... The old URL was set to Virginia acceptance only and ran into the trouble of joining from those outside of VA. If you try searching for it look for "VCOM Virginia Class of 2018"

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am so glad to see your interest in this school! In my personal opinion, I think choosing this school was the best decision I've ever made. I am a current first year, and if anyone has any specific questions about the program, please feel free to send me a private message. I'm not so good with the "what are my chances" kinda questions but would love to answer any other questions you may have!

It's a very hard program, but I think it really sets students up for success. We follow a business casual dress code, and while some people I've talked to in other schools think that would be annoying or hard to keep up with it, I really enjoy it. It helps the professors take you more seriously and helps establish an atmosphere of professionalism from the get-go. We have an attendance policy, but you can miss usually around 8 days a block or 16 half days which is nice. Some people in my class think it's a little much, but I personally learn better by being in the classroom and then re-watching lectures at home on my own time if I need to (I won't lie though there are days when I wish we had at least a few more days we could miss but I didn't go over that number of allotted misses last block). We also take a lot of tests which can be daunting, but in the longrun I think it's helpful. It's much easier to master the vast amount of information we are expected to know in small chunks rather than just taking 1 big test over everything we have learned in a class.

Good luck in the application process! Hope to see many of you next year!
Oh and also, to those who are still stressing about getting secondaries or if you haven't gotten an interview yet, no need to fret! I didn't get my secondary until about November last year and didn't interview until January and was still accepted right off the bat. No wait list. So don't stress! This process is fun!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Did you interview after the 14th? They told us they would review our group in the next admission meeting (Said they'd call us on Nov 1.) Kinda got me worried now.
lol I've heard nothing from this school

Congrats! Did you interview after the 14th? They told us they would review our group in the next admission meeting (Said they'd call us on Nov 1.) Kinda got me worried now.

Yes, I interviewed two days ago 10/29

They told me the adcom actually met this morning and I got the call around 3 today. Don't get discouraged though, I'm IS and have always lived in rural Appalachia.

They told me the adcom actually met this morning and I got the call around 3 today. Don't get discouraged though, I'm IS and have always lived in rural Appalachia.
Yea, a lot of schools say to expect a call one day but tend to call earlier. Who knows maybe they'll call tomorrow but I'm not holding my breathe. Luckily I have other acceptances, but I was definitely excited about VCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your guys wait time for a secondary? I was verified by aacomas on 10/11 and didn't receive a receipt of delivery from VCOM until this past Wednesday (10/30) stating that it can take up to 3 months to review.

ACCEPTED on Halloween!! I am a Florida resident and interviewed last Monday.

Can anyone give me some insight on how vcom compares to Campbell? I have an interview there as well but need to decide if I should still go now that I've been accepted at vcom. Thank you

Congrats to everyone with IIs and acceptances!

I'm really interested in this school and submitted my primary last month. However, a couple weeks ago, I started receiving e-mails saying that my primary won't be processed until they received my MCAT scores. Problem is, my MCAT scores were released to them through AACOMAS a long time ago. As a result, I sent admissions an e-mail. When I didn't hear back, I started calling their office using the # on their website... So far, no one has picked up the phone. Not even a voicemail machine. At first, I was calling only once every few days, but now I'm finding myself calling them multiple times a days... Still no response. So today out of desperation, I mailed them my MCAT score report through Interfolio.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any advice on how to get in touch with them? I'm not sure what else I can do. Thanks in advance.

No, i've almost always gotten to talk to Whitney or someone. Are you calling 540 231 4000?

Hey everyone! I just received a secondary here, but it will not let me change my password like the email tells me to do. When I type in my email address and AACOMAS ID number it keeps saying "error." Any one else have this problem? I am following the directions correctly. Any help would be great!!

Hey everyone! I just received a secondary here, but it will not let me change my password like the email tells me to do. When I type in my email address and AACOMAS ID number it keeps saying "error." Any one else have this problem? I am following the directions correctly. Any help would be great!!
This happened to me. The system hasn't updated yet so give it a day or two. If you still have trouble by Thursday, you should call.

When did you send out a primary btw?

No, i've almost always gotten to talk to Whitney or someone. Are you calling 540 231 4000?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've been calling (540) 231-4000, and when I'm prompted the menu, I've been pressing 1, and then 1 for Admissions-- and then I just get endless ringing with no human being or voicemail. Even when I've pressed 0 and spoken to the operator, the number they've redirected me to (which I assume is the same) results in the same outcome. Nada. It's getting pretty demoralizing. :(

I'm interviewing next week on 11/14. Anyone else interviewing that day?

:)

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I've been calling (540) 231-4000, and when I'm prompted the menu, I've been pressing 1, and then 1 for Admissions-- and then I just get endless ringing with no human being or voicemail. Even when I've pressed 0 and spoken to the operator, the number they've redirected me to (which I assume is the same) results in the same outcome. Nada. It's getting pretty demoralizing. :(
You can call Julie Mills, the admissions director, (540) 231-5909 or Whitney at (540) 231-6138

How long does it take from submitting your secondary to getting an interview?
Is it too late to submit the secondary for VCOM?

How long does it take from submitting your secondary to getting an interview?
Is it too late to submit the secondary for VCOM?

Mine took 15 days. I definitely think you're good to go for still submitting the secondary - especially if you're in the Appalachian region! (There's Appalachian bias)

This may be a long shot, but I am currently subleasing my apartment until July 2014 (and you can renew your lease). The apartment is across the street from VCOM, and the apartment complex is very nice (just opened in July), safe, and full of medical students. If you or anyone else you know if looking to move to VCOM at the beginning of the year, please let me know! Thanks :]

Hey everyone, first time poster here! I just got an ii this AM for 12/3, anyone else interviewing that day as well?

ii call just now! Scheduled for 12/17! So glad to finally hear back! Confirmed on 10/18! Any tips for the interview?

ii call just now! Scheduled for 12/17! So glad to finally hear back! Confirmed on 10/18! Any tips for the interview?

Honestly, just be yourself and try to stay calm! The interviewers know you are nervous, but they are all SUPER nice!! I thought for sure I bombed my interview (I was so nervous I couldn't pronounce philosophy right, silly me!) , but then when I was accepted despite my nerves! They really just wanna have a conversation with you and make sure you would be a great fit for their school. I struggled the most with the student interview because it was a bunch of questions I hadn't really prepared for. I was expecting more questions of what would you do if you had a patient that... Which was not the case it was more typical job interview questions I hadn't practiced in a while! Truly be yourself and you should be fine! This is a really great school! Fully enjoy the day and the food for lunch is amazing!! :)

I agree... The faculty interviews were pretty laid back. They were more conversational. I actually thought the questions in the student interview were harder.

I agree... The faculty interviews were pretty laid back. They were more conversational. I actually thought the questions in the student interview were harder.
What made them harder? Were they the bizarre job interview questions like, "If you were part of a bicycle what part would you be?" or ethical healthcare kind of questions?

What made them harder? Were they the bizarre job interview questions like, "If you were part of a bicycle what part would you be?" or ethical healthcare kind of questions?

Definitely job interview questions. Like when was a situation you had to deal with someone really difficult and how did you handle it, etc. That's the only one I can remember as an exact one that was asked. They weren't difficult questions exactly but some of them I didn't expect. I ended up nailing it but I can definitely see how some of them might have been hard to come up with answers to on the spot.

The students all had a sheet of questions they asked directly from and it was closed file. There were no ethical questions... Mostly like situational type stuff

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely job interview questions. Like when was a situation you had to deal with someone really difficult and how did you handle it, etc. That's the only one I can remember as an exact one that was asked. They weren't difficult questions exactly but some of them I didn't expect. I ended up nailing it but I can definitely see how some of them might have been hard to come up with answers to on the spot.

The students all had a sheet of questions they asked directly from and it was closed file. There were no ethical questions... Mostly like situational type stuff
Awesome, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the insight!!

Anyone want to share the secondary questions?

1. Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

2. Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

3. Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

4. In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

5. If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.

1. Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

2. Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

3. Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

4. In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

5. If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.

All 500 words or less?

Anyone know how long it takes to receive a secondary? My primary app was sent out on Nov. 14th. Did I get screened out or something? I have a 29 mcat 3.68c/3.72s.

Anyone know how long it takes to receive a secondary? My primary app was sent out on Nov. 14th. Did I get screened out or something? I have a 29 mcat 3.68c/3.72s.
I highly doubt you got screened out. I emailed Whitney after about 3 weeks without hearing anything and she said it could take up to 3 months to review. I got an email saying they received it later that day saying they will hold for my course work to be completed at the end of the quarter (which is over now). I think they are just a tad slow on reviewing primaries so don't sweat it.

How does VCOM respond to Letter of Intents, as in, is it appropriate before any status update or am i just a little too ahead of myself. I want to say that I completed the application, called and confirmed it was complete the first week of October. However, I only got the "complete" email the last week of October (25th). Now that it's been a month, and I know it's taking some people 3 months, can I send a letter of Intent? Would it be too soon/should I wait to at least get on hold first?

Accepted! anyone else who is accepted and plans to go here message me, facebook page only has like 8 people on it ha

Our facebook page is looking kind of dinky. For those that are accepted please feel free to join the facebook page and meet your potential future classmates! Just click on the following link, https://www.facebook.com/groups/vcom2018va/, and one of the admins will accept you as soon as they can.