Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are all the seats filled already?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, all the seats for the class of 2018 are currently filled. At least that's what it sounded like in the waitlist email.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that people apply pretty broadly, so spots will inevitably open up when they begin to make their final decisions (at least I hope so). In addition to that, VCOM does something pretty cool for waitlisted applicants; here's an excerpt from the email I received from them:

"In the event we do not experience enough movement in the class to proceed with admission for this year, your application will be evaluated regarding early admission to the Class of 2019. Competitive candidates will receive the opportunity for early admission to the VCOM – Virginia Campus."

Good luck to everyone! Have a great holiday!

Last edited:
Hey y'all. I just received an ii to the carolinas campus and I know they haven't graduated a class yet so I might have better luck in this thread. Can anyone send me the match list for this school? Thank you! :)

Withdrew my acceptance at VCOM-VC a couple of weeks ago. Best of luck, everyone! :luck:

Loved my time at VCOM, got the acceptance call last week and I still can't believe it (first acceptance after two app cycles). I can definitely see myself in Blacksburg, it really is a great family atmosphere and I love all the VT relationships the school has.

Reactions: 1 users
If the seats are filled, is it worth applying now? Just finished secondary. Stats 3.65/3.6, 33

If the seats are filled, is it worth applying now? Just finished secondary. Stats 3.65/3.6, 33

I'm not 100% sure if all the seats are filled or not because even though a couple of posters before said they were, Ron1x said he got the acceptance call around the same time they got waitlisted. I don't know if it would be worth it or not to send in the secondary to be honest. You have great stats. Are you from the Appalachian region?

I'm not 100% sure if all the seats are filled or not because even though a couple of posters before said they were, Ron1x said he got the acceptance call around the same time they got waitlisted. I don't know if it would be worth it or not to send in the secondary to be honest. You have great stats. Are you from the Appalachian region?

It's odd that they're full, they send my school a borderline request for more applicants last month. But I imagine there will be massive movement.

It's odd that they're full, they send my school a borderline request for more applicants last month. But I imagine there will be massive movement.

Yeah, I don't think they're all the way full at least because Ron1x said he got an acceptance at the same time that the others said it was full. Maybe they are just starting to send out more waitlists now because they are just being cautious. On my interview day, they said at the beginning of the cycle they only send out accepts/rejects and that they don't start utilizing a waitlist until later on in the cycle. So maybe it is just that they have reached that point.

Hello my stats.cGPA 3.08, sGPA 3.2 MCAT 29
Lots of EC's, shadowed a DO and I was a MD's medical assistant. Volunteer and Medical Interpreter at a Hospital. Orgo 1 & 2 tutor. One year of research. Five LOREC; 1 from DO,1 from MD, 2 from science faculty and one from my boss a pharmacist. I am currently working at a pharmacy. I became a USA national karate champion in 2006. So far no interviews except for one school and applied to 12. I think my GPA is a major setback. I also applied a little late (end of october). I hope I receive a phone call from this school since it is my top choice.

Last edited:
Hello my stats.cGPA 3.08, sGPA 3.2 MCAT 29
Lots of EC's, shadowed a DO and I was a MD's medical assistant. Volunteer and Medical Interpreter at a Hospital. Orgo 1 & 2 tutor. One year of research. Five LOREC; 1 from DO,1 from MD, 2 from science faculty and one from my boss a pharmacist. I am currently working at a pharmacy. I became a USA national karate champion in 2006. So far no interviews except for one school and applied to 12. I think my GPA is a major setback. I also applied a little late (end of october). I hope I receive a phone call from this school since it is my top choice.

I agree that it is your GPA holding you back. If you don't get in this cycle, you should retake some of your classes that have lower grades or do a post bacc program. If you like VCOM, they have one and many of their post bacc students end up matriculating at VCOM when they're done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it is your GPA holding you back. If you don't get in this cycle, you should retake some of your classes that have lower grades or do a post bacc program. If you like VCOM, they have one and many of their post bacc students end up matriculating at VCOM when they're done.
Yeap. I figured. Despite having A's on the hardest courses for undergraduates at my school, my major problem were those liberal arts courses. I am a URM and English is my second language. I was the very first one in my family to ever be in a US college. I got a Bachelor's in Biochemistry but I think I will have to do a post-back. Thanks for your advice.

Yeap. I figured. Despite having A's on the hardest courses for undergraduates at my school, my major problem were those liberal arts courses. I am a URM and English is my second language. I was the very first one in my family to ever be in a US college. I got a Bachelor's in Biochemistry but I think I will have to do a post-back. Thanks for your advice.

Unless you plan on doing a post bacc at the DO school you want to attend I wouldn't recommend it. AACOMAS has grade replacement just retake some of the courses that are dragging you GPA and reapply EARLY next cycle. Best of Luck!!

I am from western maryland if that counts? But I guess it wouldn't hurt to sent it in and only a $50 fee unlike Touro-NY.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you plan on doing a post bacc at the DO school you want to attend I wouldn't recommend it. AACOMAS has grade replacement just retake some of the courses that are dragging you GPA and reapply EARLY next cycle. Best of Luck!!
Well yeah. I think I have only two classes to retake. And those were for both C+. So I do not think it will make a big difference. As for the other science courses I retook math and Physics due to my change in major. I'm also planning to send a letter of intent before deciding to take extra courses in order to boost my GPA. Thanks again.

From experience I think it is worth applying because I didn't finish my application until January (last year) and received an interview early March for a wait list position, which you could possibly get off of.

From experience I think it is worth applying because I didn't finish my application until January (last year) and received an interview early March for a wait list position, which you could possibly get off of.

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, were you able to get off the wait list after your interviewed last year? If you did get off, what month did they notify you?

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking, were you able to get off the wait list after your interviewed last year? If you did get off, what month did they notify you?
For VCOM I was on the wait list for the entire summer, but sometimes if they don't see much movement on in the class and they like you as an applicant they give you rollover admissions. ( I don't know if you have taken a year off/or won't mind taking a year off). I was also on the wait list for another school which I did not get off until a couple of weeks before classes started (so near the end of July). However, I liked VCOM a lot more and knew I didn't want to go anywhere else but there so I decided to just accept the rollover admissions.

Question. Am I crazy? I'm trying to check my email and distinguish between VCOM-CC and VCOM-VC. Were they on the same application process? I can't remember!

Submitted AACOMAS back in October and have been interviewing at other schools this past month. No word from VCOM, not even a secondary. Is this an error or have they actually been this strict about who gets secondaries? Thinking of giving them a call tomorrow.

Last edited:
NYer here attending a PA college. Stats: 3.5/30. Submitted AACOMAS back in October and have been interviewing at other schools this past month. No word from VCOM, not even a secondary. Is this an error or have they actually been this strict about who gets secondaries? Thinking of giving them a call tomorrow.

A lot of people found their secondaries in their spam folders. Maybe you got one a long time ago and just didn't know about it?

Most of my emails from them end up in my spam tbh.
A lot of people found their secondaries in their spam folders. Maybe you got one a long time ago and just didn't know about it?

Well... that's pretty unacceptable considering they had multiple email addresses, a mailing address, and phone numbers on file... did the school even try calling applicants about this? Gmail permanently deletes spam after 30 days so I can't even tell if this was the case.

Well... that's pretty unacceptable considering they had multiple email addresses, a mailing address, and phone numbers on file... did the school even try calling applicants about this? Gmail permanently deletes spam after 30 days so I can't even tell if this was the case.

Email them.

For others who are waitlisted as well (or anyone else who knows), when might we hear back? I know it can go as late as the summer (as some other folks have said), but I think I remember Julie saying they review waitlisted applicants for the first time at the end of January. I assume that would mean this week.

Last edited:
what campus do the VCOM students usually prefer, the Carolinas or Virginia Campus? i thought the Carolinas campus was very nice, which is where i was accepted, but i haven't made it to the Virginia campus so i know nothing about their facilities or Blacksburg in general compared to the Carolinas campus...can anyone comment on this?

also, can you choose which campus you'd prefer to go to?

Anyone know when the last batch of interview invites went out?

Are they still handing out interviews at this school? I havnt heard anything from the school since applying in November.

So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if VCOM offers just interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

So far I've received masters acceptances from barry, usf, pcom, mississippi college. Does anyone know if VCOM offers just interviews or automatic acceptances to their med school for their SMP students that perform well in their program.

Yes, VCOM does. They have tightened up the requirements a little bit in the last two years, but if you get a 3.6 in the first semester with nothing below a B (a B+ = 3.5 BTW), have at least a composite 24 MCAT and get a positive letter of recommendation, you have a guaranteed acceptance to VCOM... don't even have to do a real "interview" since different faculty interact and evaluate you throughout the year. As long as you follow the rules, are respectful and don't get into any trouble, the positive recommendation won't be hard. Offers are conditional upon finishing the post bacc program in good standing, so you need to complete the full year and keep your grades up. About half the class got accepted after first semester evaluations... others will be evaluated again in the next month.
Overall I have positive things to say about the program. There are areas for improvement, but I'm not going to knit pick things in a public forum.
Good luck.

In your opinion what are the pros and cons? What did you enjoy most? Did this program help you matriculate into their com Thank you for your input

Pros:
  1. While the post bacc program is a semester approach and first two years in med school are a block and systems approach, the classes are very similar. This will be a big leg up first year in med school, especially since you’ll already have familiarity with a lot of the professors and how they test.
  2. Perform well and you have a guaranteed acceptance with no float or gap year. That being said, there really aren’t any easy A’s, so be prepared to work hard.
  3. Great for nontraditional students. I never had much of a science background so a lot of the material was totally new to me, but it is manageable. Had I gone straight to med school I would have really struggled… though material is similar to what OMS-1 students have, the post bacc schedule is less busy and we don’t cover the same amount of material as first year med students.
Cons:
  1. Not cheap. Depending on your circumstances, there may be less expensive ways to make yourself competitive.
  2. Basically makes med school a 5 year program.
  3. Some programs like this offer masters degrees upon completion, this is certificate program.
I know some people knock post bacc programs, but depending on individual circumstances, finances, etc., this may be the best option for people who need a transition year before med school.

Hey guys,

Would anyone mind telling what the interview atmosphere is like? Is it one on one, open or closed file? Usually how long do they take to respond after the interview?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Would anyone mind telling what the interview atmosphere is like? Is it one on one, open or closed file? Usually how long do they take to respond after the interview?

Thanks.

Great interview day - very organized. There are three interviews, two faculty and one study. The two faculty are open file and the student interview is closed.

They usually respond within 2-4 weeks. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Does anybody know if they are still interviewing for open seats or just a spot on the waitlist?

I'm interviewing in a few weeks. The best it seems I would get is a waitlist spot. Is this school known for a lot of waitlist movement?

They mentioned at my interview day that there is some movement but nothing about how much or when to expect any=/

When did you get an invite?

Almost two weeks ago. Interview is set just under two weeks from now.

Also, I was reading about the South Carolina campus and potentially wanted to switch locations. Should I bring that up at the interview or (understandably) wait until I get accepted or waitlisted?

What are my chances at this school??

VA resident
C.GPA:
S.GPA: 3.55

MCAT: 26

I know there is a WAMC thread, I hope no one minds that I posted here too. VCOM is number 1

Last edited:
What are my chances at this school??

VA resident
C.GPA:
S.GPA: 3.55

EMT B-1800 hrs for a volunteer rescue squad (current)
Currently
pursuing EMT-I
Medical Volunteer trip in South America
Founder of Public Health organization on campus
Blood drive coordinator
ACLS
CPR
CPR Instructor
ED Scribe (1 yr. and current)
Multiple EMS certifications

MCAT: 26

I know there is a WAMC thread, I hope no one minds that I posted here too. VCOM is number 1

Next year? Pretty good.