Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told that ranking would take place in mid-May....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure they've already had a plan set in motion as far as ranking..but I bet they will start filling in seats off of the waitlist as soon as tomorrow all the way to start of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure they've already had a plan set in motion as far as ranking..but I bet they will start filling in seats off of the waitlist as soon as tomorrow all the way to start of school.
lol I wouldn't be surprised but they did mention they will have a ranking I just don't want to keep calling until I'm sure they do to find out about where I am on that list

Did you ask recently? I asked in mid April and they told me first week of May but I ll go with you if it was more recent =)

Well, back in March when I asked about the ranking, I was told that it would take place in mid-April following the last interviews. But, when I called one week ago (exactly), I was told that ranking would take place in mid-May.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, back in March when I asked about the ranking, I was told that it would take place in mid-April following the last interviews. But, when I called one week ago (exactly), I was told that ranking would take place in mid-May.
Alright thanks so much for the info!

They told me the same thing! I would call after the 15th....

This year's outcome report:

xd51ReUl.jpg

For those of you who are waitlisted.... I just wanted to give you an update on how my situation went, with the hope of calming some of your anxieties. I actually interviewed in March of 2014, and I was placed on the waitlist shortly thereafter. I had already been accepted to another DO school, where I planned on enrolling in August 2014. However, I was impressed with VCOM so much, and I knew it was the place that I wanted to be. So, I checked my email constantly hoping for the notification that I was accepted. That notification never came. And I actually did not receive an acceptance for the Class of 2018. However, they did offer me a seat for the class of 2019, since there was not a lot of waitlist movement last year to garner me an acceptance. But, I actually gave up my seat at another school, and I decided to take a year off after undergrad. It has done me wonders, and I am exciting to be calling Blacksburg home this coming august. So for those of you on the waitlist, don't get too down. Things may not happen exactly how you want them to, but if you're persistent and stay positive, good things will come your way! While I didn't start exactly when I wanted, I will be starting this August!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you who are waitlisted.... I just wanted to give you an update on how my situation went, with the hope of calming some of your anxieties. I actually interviewed in March of 2014, and I was placed on the waitlist shortly thereafter. I had already been accepted to another DO school, where I planned on enrolling in August 2014. However, I was impressed with VCOM so much, and I knew it was the place that I wanted to be. So, I checked my email constantly hoping for the notification that I was accepted. That notification never came. And I actually did not receive an acceptance for the Class of 2018. However, they did offer me a seat for the class of 2019, since there was not a lot of waitlist movement last year to garner me an acceptance. But, I actually gave up my seat at another school, and I decided to take a year off after undergrad. It has done me wonders, and I am exciting to be calling Blacksburg home this coming august. So for those of you on the waitlist, don't get too down. Things may not happen exactly how you want them to, but if you're persistent and stay positive, good things will come your way! While I didn't start exactly when I wanted, I will be starting this August!
Thank you soo much for your uplifting response I am feeling super hopeless right now. Did you ever find out where you were on the ranking of the waitlist that year? thanks again=)

Thank you soo much for your uplifting response I am feeling super hopeless right now. Did you ever find out where you were on the ranking of the waitlist that year? thanks again=)

Don't feel hopeless! Everything happens for a reason. So don't get down. Just stay positive, keep pushing, and see what the future holds for you! And to answer your question... No, I did not find out where I was at on the waitlist. They do not release that information to students, unfortunately. And trust me, I know how frustrating that can be. But remember, being on the waitlist is at least better than being rejected at first. So even if it doesn't happen this year, speak with them, and they will be more than willing to tell you what you need to improve on so that you can earn a spot in the future. The admissions staff at VCOM is awesome, and I'm positive they'd work with you. And who knows, maybe you'll get in this year as well and be my classmate!

Don't feel hopeless! Everything happens for a reason. So don't get down. Just stay positive, keep pushing, and see what the future holds for you! And to answer your question... No, I did not find out where I was at on the waitlist. They do not release that information to students, unfortunately. And trust me, I know how frustrating that can be. But remember, being on the waitlist is at least better than being rejected at first. So even if it doesn't happen this year, speak with them, and they will be more than willing to tell you what you need to improve on so that you can earn a spot in the future. The admissions staff at VCOM is awesome, and I'm positive they'd work with you. And who knows, maybe you'll get in this year as well and be my classmate!
aww thanks so much for all of your positivity!! deff a grueling process! But we shall see =) good luck this year on starting medical school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey quick question,

Was emailed by the director of admissions the following email. Does anyone know if these are genuine emails or are ones they likely send out to everyone that gets denied? Thanks in advance and congrats to those of you accepted. And those of you on the waitlist, stay positive!

I hope you are well.

You should be receiving a note from VCOM today to tomorrow regarding your application status. The admissions committee decided not to proceed with your application this year, but I wanted to reach out to encourage you to reapply this year. The application cycle just opened up and I think that if you get your application in to us early that your application stands a great chance. I would recommend looking into taking a few more upper level science courses to continue to stay current. The New England College of Osteopathic Medicine offers a few online courses that you may be interested in taking – one is Pathophysiology.

Please let me know if you have any other questions in the future.

Sorry to say but that reads as a rejection letter for the class of 2019...

Sorry to say but that reads as a rejection letter for the class of 2019...

Yea, I figured that much but was just seeing if others got the same one verbatim. Just because VCOM is usually more personable with their applicants.

I just called VCOM this morning. She told me that the AdCom will review my file in August. You don't get to know your actual ranking tho! I have a feeling that I'm one of the 'VERY' last ones on their waitlist :( They might review my file again for the class of 2020 if nothing good happens this cycle!
I just graduated, about to start studying for the new mcat :bang: Please pray for me :unsure:

I just called VCOM this morning. She told me that the AdCom will review my file in August. You don't get to know your actual ranking tho! I have a feeling that I'm one of the 'VERY' last ones on their waitlist :( They might review my file again for the class of 2020 if nothing good happens this cycle!
I just graduated, about to start studying for the new mcat :bang: Please pray for me :unsure:

I thought they would shed some more light after may 15 regarding ranking? did they say anything?
and do you mind telling your stats?

I thought they would shed some more light after may 15 regarding ranking? did they say anything?
and do you mind telling your stats?

That is a rejection. School starts in August. There is literally no point of reviewing file in August, unless it is for the next cycle.

One problem I have with VCOM admission is that they interviewed too many applicants for the WAITLIST. The middle to bottom ranks are less likely to get in. If you go to the VCOM's FB page, you can tell the class is almost full with only a few lucky individuals that will receive the acceptances from another applicants,who ultimately decided not to attend VCOM, this Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
That is a rejection. School starts in August. There is literally no point of reviewing file in August, unless it is for the next cycle.

One problem I have with VCOM admission is that they interviewed too many applicants for the WAITLIST. The middle to bottom ranks are less likely to get in. If you go to the VCOM's FB page, you can tell the class is almost full with only a few lucky individuals that will receive the acceptances from another applicants,who ultimately decided not to attend VCOM, this Friday.
is it a rejection though? or are you still likely to get early acceptance to class of 2020

I think you are right. I got an email that indicated I'm in the middle of the list. I will probably hear something back in August after the class matriculates.

I think you are right. I got an email that indicated I'm in the middle of the list. I will probably hear something back in August after the class matriculates.
I called them and they gave me some meets about my status but never sent me an email saying where I was on the list =(

I don't think this will even be a blip on your application. You should be fine.

Above you stated that you had a feeling you were at the very bottom of the waitlist but now you are saying you received an email from VCOM saying you are in the middle of the waitlist? Which is it? Also, I've spoken with admissions several times and they indicated that only those in the top 10 would receive an email regarding their position on the waitlist. Are you sure you received an email from VCOM saying you were somewhere in the middle?

The purpose of their review in August is for the class of 2020. It's not a rejection.

I didn't apply for 2020. If I don't get accepted for 2019, that is a rejection to me.

That's a fine interpretation for you to have. But to comment on another person's post with your personal interpretation, of what a review in August means, is off-putting, to say the least. The class has been full since early February and to be given a spot on the waitlist is anything but rejection. Even more, VCOM is the only school that I know who reviews their waitlist in August and offers immediate spots to those people for the following year.

Reactions: 1 users
That's a fine interpretation for you to have. But to comment on another person's post with your personal interpretation, of what a review in August means, is off-putting, to say the least. The class has been full since early February and to be given a spot on the waitlist is anything but rejection. Even more, VCOM is the only school that I know who reviews their waitlist in August and offers immediate spots to those people for the following year.
I also talked to the director of Admissions and she said they review files in August for those who were on the waitlist and never got accepted...some of those people are offered admissions for the following year's class after the August review process.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't apply for 2020. If I don't get accepted for 2019, that is a rejection to me.

Rejection for 2014-2015 cycle. You have to wait another year = missing out 1 year of salary, so yes it does matter.

I also talked to the director of Admissions and she said they review files in August for those who were on the waitlist and never got accepted...some of those people are offered admissions for the following year's class after the August review process.

Getting admission for the following year is far from a rejection in my opinion. You could do so much within a year and be 100% stressful. Personally that sounds like a great deal especially since applicants apply numerous years in a row.

Reactions: 4 users
Getting admission for the following year is far from a rejection in my opinion. You could do so much within a year and be 100% stressful. Personally that sounds like a great deal especially since applicants apply numerous years in a row.
Indeed!!It's a very great deal!

Reactions: 2 users
Any opinions on vcoms post bacc premed program? Do many people meet the gpa requirement to move on to vcom as a med student? Also, is it geared more towards individuals without a science background? I am a biology major and am unsure of whether or not joining the program will really help my application. Sometimes I think it's just a waste of money and I should just take a quick phlebotomy course and just work for me year off. Any advice?

Any opinions on vcoms post bacc premed program? Do many people meet the gpa requirement to move on to vcom as a med student? Also, is it geared more towards individuals without a science background? I am a biology major and am unsure of whether or not joining the program will really help my application. Sometimes I think it's just a waste of money and I should just take a quick phlebotomy course and just work for me year off. Any advice?

I think we'd have to know more about your application. I believe the post-bacc program is designed for people with low GPA's and non-traditional students.

Above you stated that you had a feeling you were at the very bottom of the waitlist but now you are saying you received an email from VCOM saying you are in the middle of the waitlist? Which is it? Also, I've spoken with admissions several times and they indicated that only those in the top 10 would receive an email regarding their position on the waitlist. Are you sure you received an email from VCOM saying you were somewhere in the middle?
I initially called someone who didn't tell me my ranking. She just informed me that my file would be reviewed in August (so I expected the worst). Later someone replied to my email saying that I am in the middle of their waiting list. I only got a reply bc I asked them personally. I'm really sorry for the confusion.

Amen! Thank you!

I initially called someone who didn't tell me my ranking. She just informed me that my file would be reviewed in August (so I expected the worst). Later someone replied to my email saying that I am in the middle of their waiting list. I only got a reply bc I asked them personally. I'm really sorry for the confusion.
Gotcha...makes sense now. Thanks for clearing that up!

is the wait list moving at all or similar to last year? It seems as if it moved a lot faster last year.

I have just had updates based on what I was doing at the time. Other then that, no. I hope we hear something soon though!

I have just had updates based on what I was doing at the time. Other then that, no. I hope we hear something soon though!
I got an email a few days ago that mentioned that I was 'extremely high on the waitlist'. Has anyone else received this?