Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interview went really well - 2 interviews with faculty and 1 with a second year. Overall a great experience and I loved the school/Blacksburg :) The only aspect that I didn't like was the dress code :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
interview went really well - 2 interviews with faculty and 1 with a second year. Overall a great experience and I loved the school/Blacksburg :) The only aspect that I didn't like was the dress code :D

so update :) just received a call from VCOM... ACCEPTED! (interviewed Friday, accepted Thursday!!!)

Reactions: 2 users
Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks so that you don’t forget the material in the 1st blocks?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to call them today for my application status. What number should I call? What time is most appropriate?

Complete 10/20

Thank you all!

Never mind! I've called them already! Thanks btw.

Can anybody comment on the "6 hours of additional credits at the 300 level"... how strict are they on this requirement? I received a secondary, but I am not sure if I meet this requirement.

Can anybody comment on the "6 hours of additional credits at the 300 level"... how strict are they on this requirement? I received a secondary, but I am not sure if I meet this requirement.

It's strict. I had to resubmit my secondary in order to specifically answer to how I would fulfill this.

Just cancelled my interview for Monday 11/17. I hope someone close can sneak in for that day.

Interviewed earlier this week and received the acceptance call/email yesterday!

Complete 10/20, I called and was told that my apps hasn't been reviewed yet. :'(

And...this thread is slow, so I got no idea if I am the only one waiting for an ii?!

Thanks all!

Not to be depressing but thousands are waiting for an ii from VCOM...

Not to be depressing but thousands are waiting for an ii from VCOM...

1lifeleft28, oh yeah....no doubt that the love for VCOM has grown so great although VCOM will "selectively" choose to love a few :'( (not blaming them because I understand the number of seats is limited).

Members don't see this ad :)
It's all schools - Liberty is brand new and will have thousands of applicants.

Do I even have a sliver of a chance if I apply this late in the game? MCAT 28, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, decent ECs, but only a few hours shadowing a DO Physician? Strong ties to VA as well...
Those were were almost my stats exactly, although I considered by ECs to be pretty good (I'm a first year).

Those were were almost my stats exactly, although I considered by ECs to be pretty good (I'm a first year).
what do you think of VCOM so far?!

I already put down my deposit, LOVED it there on interview day. But it'd be great to hear how it's going for you :)

what do you think of VCOM so far?!

I already put down my deposit, LOVED it there on interview day. But it'd be great to hear how it's going for you :)
Gotta say, I absolutely love it (even in the midst of a 3 exam week! haha). Don't get me wrong, med school is no piece of cake but it's doable and I'm even enjoying it most of the time. Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions and congrats!!! :D

Reactions: 1 users
My love for VCOM has grown too big....
ABOUT TO EXPLODE!
:boom::boom::boom:

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 11/11, accepted earlier this afternoon. I'm beyond thrilled! This is a great program.

congrats on the acceptances guys! can't wait to meet everyone in August :)

Any current 3rd or 4th year VCOM students on this thread? If so, please PM me. I had a few quick questions regarding your time at VCOM and with respect to rotations.

how long (on average) do people typically wait between secondary submission and ii?

also, does this school screen heavily for secondaries? in other words, if you obtain an ii, does that mean you have a high chance of acceptance (provided, of course, that you don't mess up the interview)?

how long (on average) do people typically wait between secondary submission and ii?

also, does this school screen heavily for secondaries? in other words, if you obtain an ii, does that mean you have a high chance of acceptance (provided, of course, that you don't mess up the interview)?

If you get that II, kill it, bruh. You'll get in.

@MedicineBoy my interview confirmation email came a day or two later. they have a lot going on so check you spam box too and if you don't get anything by like wednesday I would call (or wait til next monday because it's thanksgiving!)

I'm not sure if this question has been asked. I just cannot find any stats of this or last year on what the acceptance rate is (given one was granted an interview) and how many applications there are!?

Please share with us and thank you for your time!

P/S: could only find class of 2011 and 2012 stats

I just got a call earlier for Interview Invite. It is scheduled for next Thurs, Dec 4th!!

It has been over 3 months since i submitted my AACOMAS and they informed me that it may take up to three months before they decide to send a secondary. I emailed this past week and was informed that they have still not reached a decision. is anyone else experiencing this? i find it a little crazy that its been that long and they haven't even decided to send a secondary! :(

It has been over 3 months since i submitted my AACOMAS and they informed me that it may take up to three months before they decide to send a secondary. I emailed this past week and was informed that they have still not reached a decision. is anyone else experiencing this? i find it a little crazy that its been that long and they haven't even decided to send a secondary! :(
I am in the same boat :/

Before anyone else says it, yes I just posted something similar in the VCOM-CC thread. CURRENT medical students: I've been accepted to VCOM-Auburn and I have some questions only you can/will answer. Just need a few things answered before I send my deposit.

In your own words can you explain the mandatory attendance policy. How is it enforced? Is there assigned seating (as I have heard rumors of)? Does the 85% include only lectures or does it include small groups etc. (I already know about labs)?
What was your experience like being part of the inaugural class?
What kind of student feedback do they take into legitimate consideration?
What do you like most about the school?
What aspects of the facility/curriculum/curricular delivery/faculty would you change?
If given the opportunity and privilege of choice, would you choose to attend VCOM-VC again?

I want an intimate, no-holds barred opinion on the school (don't need to be PC or polite like in the threads). I'd prefer you PM me, plus you probably don't want to post in here.

^I would like to know too.

I know at VC you have assigned seating to keep up with attendance, but I'm not sure about the other campuses

Soooooo I haven't received a secondary... I just read some comments saying that it might take up to 3 months for them to decide whether or not to send a secondary.... is that actually true??
My AACOMAS was verified on October 7th and I don't think it has to do with my credentials because I'm above their average. I've interviewed at a couple low tier MD programs but I really love VCOM.... Should I be worried?

Thanks and good luck everybody! :)

@MedicineBoy. They typically receive close to 5,000 applications. I don't know how many secondaries are given, but they typically do around 350 interviews for 185ish slots. Taking into account that they give more acceptances than there are class slots it's safe to say that if you receive an interview your chances of getting in are pretty dang high.

Reactions: 3 users
How long did it take most people to hear about ii after completion. Just gauging the timeline

How long did it take most people to hear about ii after completion. Just gauging the timeline

I called 2 days ago, and they told me it could take anywhere from weeks to months from complete to ii.

It can be fast, I got the completion same day as my interview invite. That was much earlier in the game though, I'd say it depends on your stats and could be a couple weeks to couple months.

I submitted my primary back in August, and my secondary was complete about 2 weeks ago. I'm curious to know my chances (I've been seeing the GPA comments) 29 MCAT, 3.17 cGPA 3.0 sGPA, over 250 hours volunteering, strong leadership, and work in a healthcare setting.

Will my EC's balance/compensate for my low GPA?

Do you guys think its to late to submit the secondary. I applied late because me and my wife just had a kid and took the mcat late. Here are some stats EC. Let me know what you think.

GPA 3.71
sGPA 3.52
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC
Served a two you volunteer mission for my church
Worked as an EMT in an emergency department full time since August 2013.
Done research and our research was published. (Organic Chem)
Started a Pre med club and ran a blood drive at my school.
Random volunteering and leadership with my church.
Volunteered at Cancer society
Over thirty hours shadowing.
Some other random things.

Let me know, I know I have some weak points , MCAT, but was working full time and summer school and a new baby. Was a crazy time. Thanks for the heads head.
Also, I just took 4 level physiology class (B+) , 4 level neuroscience (A-), Human structure and function class (B+), ecology (A-) and was working full time at the hospital during the semester.

Last edited:
C
Soooooo I haven't received a secondary... I just read some comments saying that it might take up to 3 months for them to decide whether or not to send a secondary.... is that actually true??
My AACOMAS was verified on October 7th and I don't think it has to do with my credentials because I'm above their average. I've interviewed at a couple low tier MD programs but I really love VCOM.... Should I be worried?

Thanks and good luck everybody! :)
Check your spam folder. Mine was there and didnt know and it sat there for the last few weeks....

II today. Complete 11/4. They offered December 15 but there was no way I could get coverage for my shift and arrange childcare in that short period of time. I am scheduled 1/8/15.

VA resident, nontraditional, MCAT 26, last 120 science 3.63/cumulative 3.51.

Just got a call from Julie... ACCEPTED!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Do you guys think its to late to submit the secondary. I applied late because me and my wife just had a kid and took the mcat late. Here are some stats EC. Let me know what you think.

GPA 3.71
sGPA 3.52
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC
Served a two you volunteer mission for my church
Worked as an EMT in an emergency department full time since August 2013.
Done research and our research was published. (Organic Chem)
Started a Pre med club and ran a blood drive at my school.
Random volunteering and leadership with my church.
Volunteered at Cancer society
Over thirty hours shadowing.
Some other random things.

Let me know, I know I have some weak points , MCAT, but was working full time and summer school and a new baby. Was a crazy time. Thanks for the heads head.
Also, I just took 4 level physiology class (B+) , 4 level neuroscience (A-), Human structure and function class (B+), ecology (A-) and was working full time at the hospital during the semester.

I'm not sure if it's too late or not, but I had similar stats (MCAT 24) and I just got in! They did say that our interview group was close to the "wait list" so I think they are filling up but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot anyway!

I interviewed 12/10. Just got an acceptance call from Julie earlier today!! Anybody else from that day on here? Looking forward to meeting my fellow class mates! To all those who are interviewing: The interview was great and really laid back. They were soo friendly and nice. You will love them! They make you feel at home! Questions asked were sort of standard. Nothing to worry about. As long as you know what you are getting into, know why you want to be a DO, and why you want to go to VCOM, you should be fine.