Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted as well! Looking forward to meeting my future classmates!:D

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's too late or not, but I had similar stats (MCAT 24) and I just got in! They did say that our interview group was close to the "wait list" so I think they are filling up but it doesn't hurt to give it a shot anyway!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you interview in Feb then you have a very high chance of getting WL. I do not know if they are going to send out more ii before the holiday. Call them directly about this matter, and I think they will address your questions most accurately.

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks so that you don’t forget the material in the 1st blocks?

No there is no formal connection between the blocks. What I mean by this is sure maybe a professor will randomly mention something in a past block or make a connection, but there is no review days or anything like that. But this is the case for all curriculums I assume. There is simply too much information to be reviewing old block material IN CLASS - but, reviewing past material in First Aid is an option that many do throughout the blocks

Hey! VCOM-Auburn c/o 2019 here. We had a question from a VCOM-VC student looking for a Facebook group for c/o 2019 at VC. Can someone link me?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! VCOM-Auburn c/o 2019 here. We had a question from a VCOM-VC student looking for a Facebook group for c/o 2019 at VC. Can someone link me?

There isn't one for VA campus yet.

That being said, anybody willing to start one?

If you interview in Feb then you have a very high chance of getting WL. I do not know if they are going to send out more ii before the holiday. Call them directly about this matter, and I think they will address your questions most accurately.

Bummer. Now I wish I could have made it to the interview today. Hopefully January isn't too close to the WL.

Interviewed in December. Was told to be the very last few people who didn't have to be considered WL if accepted (but very likely for those in January).

Extremely nice interviewers, yet the interview questions weren't as simple as everyone said.

:rolleyes:...Now, nothing as daunting as waiting for the acceptance call...

Interviewed in December. Was told to be the very last few people who didn't have to be considered WL if accepted (but very likely for those in January).

Extremely nice interviewers, yet the interview questions weren't as simple as everyone said.

:rolleyes:...Now, nothing as daunting as waiting for the acceptance call...[/

You'll be excellent!!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Just thought I'd give you all a heads up that the post-bacc class here at VCOM received their acceptances this week. Not sure what it means for everyone else if anything at all but know everyone wants all the info they can get. Good luck to all and look forward to meeting all of you next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Just thought I'd give you all a heads up that the post-bacc class here at VCOM received their acceptances this week. Not sure what it means for everyone else if anything at all but know everyone wants all the info they can get. Good luck to all and look forward to meeting all of you next year!

Congrats, I know you guys had to work hard for those seats!

Welp, just got my post-interview rejection e-mail. In-state, cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 28 (9/9/10). I really wanted to attend this school as it was my top choice. It just happened to be my first interview. Was nervous as heck and didn't really express my enthusiasm for this school as much as I wanted to during the entire ordeal. It's honestly pretty devastating, at least right now. Can anyone let me know what I did wrong besides the interview? I have about 50 hours of shadowing, 200 hours of clinical volunteering, 30 hours of community volunteering, and a year of research. Man, just really bummed. Need some sincere and honest advice as I have another interview coming up January 7th, that way I can either address it or try to do some more volunteering in the meantime.

Your stats seem pretty good for the school-definitely above the average. I would say if you don't get in this year, definitely do more shadowing-50 hours is pretty average. Also, I would do great on that interview-especially going the DO route, I think they place a lot of weight on your interview and social skills. Good luck with that next interview!

I also have a question for any current students..how is testing done here? Is it all on your own computer? All multiple choice? Much writing? Feel free to PM me with info. Thanks!

Welp, just got my post-interview rejection e-mail. In-state, cGPA: 3.8 sGPA: 3.7 MCAT: 28 (9/9/10). I really wanted to attend this school as it was my top choice. It just happened to be my first interview. Was nervous as heck and didn't really express my enthusiasm for this school as much as I wanted to during the entire ordeal. It's honestly pretty devastating, at least right now. Can anyone let me know what I did wrong besides the interview? I have about 50 hours of shadowing, 200 hours of clinical volunteering, 30 hours of community volunteering, and a year of research. Man, just really bummed. Need some sincere and honest advice as I have another interview coming up January 7th, that way I can either address it or try to do some more volunteering in the meantime.

since we can't see your application its hard to tell, but I had a similar situation happen to me with one of my top choices as my first interview. VCOM was my 2nd (accepted) but I felt SOOO much more comfortable going into my second interview after being scared to death and super nervous throughout my first one. Things happen for a reason and you'll end up going somewhere great - so don't get down on yourself. It's a hard blow but a great experience - take that experience with interviewing you now have and go into the next interview and really sell your confidence/experience/accomplishments

Your MCAT and GPA are top-notch for an average DO school, and your extracurricular hours are pretty decent. However, you never mentioned your LORs, so I am wondering how they are relatively? Regarding the interview, PM me for a helpful book that I made use of. It gave me an idea of what to expect when a strange question was asked.

Hope that helps! Good luck on the next interview!

Reactions: 1 users

I'm sorry to hear that, especially since your stats are pretty good. I know the feeling sucks, but like an above poster said, things happen for a reason and you will definitely get in to the best school for you! Something that has definitely helped me keep my nerves in check during interviews has been making a list of common questions asked and jotting down my answers to them. From school specific, to behavioral, to ethical. For behavioral questions, I like to have about 3-4 examples that I can use as an answer for any question. The few days before the interview I review my sheet and make sure I know what I would like to highlight for each question if asked and how I can relate it to the schools mission if applicable. Doing this helps me feel so much more in control of the experience, allows me to demonstrate knowledge/enthusiasm about the school in my answers, and prevents my nerves from getting the best of me or causing me to blank on a question haha.

Anyway, good luck on your next interview! Now that you have your first one out of the way, I'm sure you'll have a better feel for how to maneuver this second one.

Withdrawing my acceptance as soon as the school opens up after the holidays. Hope it goes to one of you fine people! Really liked VCOM when I was there and was really impressed. Good luck to everyone!

Just wrote the check for my deposit. Sending it first thing in the morning! Then I'll have 8 months till matriculation so I'm gonna hit the gym everyday and lose all that stress weight from MCAT studying etc

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my primary in mid september, submitted LOR in mid November and have been sending updates periodically. I have not been sent a secondary, a rejection letter, or any message about being on hold. Is this common?

I submitted my primary in mid september, submitted LOR in mid November and have been sending updates periodically. I have not been sent a secondary, a rejection letter, or any message about being on hold. Is this common?

If you haven't checked your spam folder yet it could be there, mine and several others on this forum went to the spam folder.

On another note, I sent in my deposit a few weeks ago, hopefully they can get the FB group up soon!

That doesn't seem to be the problem since I receive notices that they have received emails I have sent them. any other thoughts?

Happy New Year, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
II on 12/30, scheduled for 01/20; application complete on 12/20!

Has the group been cleared with the admissions office?

Good question! I thought current first year students are supposed to be in charge of creating the group page? :confused:

It seems like only accepted people post in this thread so I'll go ahead and ask. When do you guys plan on looking for places to live and what are yall planning on doing for the next 7ish months?

It seems like only accepted people post in this thread so I'll go ahead and ask. When do you guys plan on looking for places to live and what are yall planning on doing for the next 7ish months?
I requested to be on the Housing Listerv, but I think I will begin actively looking in the next couple of months or so. I plan to continue working in my job but take a vacation (trip to asia) before school starts.

Must be the best New Year Eve's present of all time!?
It was! I am very eager to interview here; I can't wait to see the campus and the town.

my app has been complete since 11/4 and I was told by admissions that it is still under review. any idea how many more interviews will be offered? Will they send a rejection email if you're not chosen for an interview?

IS 3.2 GPA with 3.3 sGPA and 3.5 master's. 30 MCAT.

my app has been complete since 11/4 and I was told by admissions that it is still under review. any idea how many more interviews will be offered? Will they send a rejection email if you're not chosen for an interview?

Im in the same boat. I've been complete for awhile as well and have heard nothing. I would hope they're giving more interviews :/

I requested to be on the Housing Listerv, but I think I will begin actively looking in the next couple of months or so. I plan to continue working in my job but take a vacation (trip to asia) before school starts.

I totally forgot about the Listserv..i should get on that. But that sounds like fun, im gonna be doing the same. When are you planning on taking the BLS course

Hey everyone, second year applying but most likely getting rejected since i still haven't received a secondary and I submitted my primary in July. I did my undergrad and master's (Basically lived in Blacksburg for 6.5 years) at Virginia tech so if anyone has any questions at all about the town or places to live, please feel free to pm me and good luck with interviews and school!

+1

Hey everyone, second year applying but most likely getting rejected since i still haven't received a secondary and I submitted my primary in July. I did my undergrad and master's (Basically lived in Blacksburg for 6.5 years) at Virginia tech so if anyone has any questions at all about the town or places to live, please feel free to pm me and good luck with interviews and school!
Check your spam folder

Check your spam folder
I had already done that and pretty sure that i have received nothing. I appreciate it though and I am honestly not mad since I am accepted elsewhere. I just know the area really well and would love to offer help if people need it!

I totally forgot about the Listserv..i should get on that. But that sounds like fun, im gonna be doing the same. When are you planning on taking the BLS course
I already took the BLS course back in November of last year haha, so that requirment is complete. I still need to do my student health forms/physical though.

I had already done that and pretty sure that i have received nothing. I appreciate it though and I am honestly not mad since I am accepted elsewhere. I just know the area really well and would love to offer help if people need it!

Same thing happened to myself. I checked my spam folder and their was nothing. I then contacted them and then they sent the email with the secondary. It happens.

Same thing happened to myself. I checked my spam folder and their was nothing. I then contacted them and then they sent the email with the secondary. It happens.
I appreciate your help! I'll give them a call on Monday

I interviewed last week and was told to expect a phone call regarding acceptance or an email for wait list/decline. Heart dropped a bit when I got the "thank you for interviewing with us...we look forward to contacting you regarding your candidacy..." email this afternoon.

I was thoroughly impressed by VCOM, hope I get a phone call in a couple of weeks.