Effect of Disciplinary Probation on Residency and Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmedStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was caught bringing in a cheat sheet into an exam in medical school. The school decided to allow me to repeat the year and put me on disciplinary probation. I am a B student. What effect will this have on residency and the future? Thanks. I would appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I was caught bringing in a cheat sheet into an exam in medical school. The school decided to allow me to repeat the year and put me on disciplinary probation. I am a B student. What effect will this have on residency and the future? Thanks. I would appreciate any advice.

Not to be too frank, but the residency programs will know exactly what happened. Your school will send along with your MSPE's and school transcripts, information about what happened, so there would be no way to avoid it with programs. I dont imagine it will keep you from getting into ANY residency program (all fields), but you will definitely be limited as to what you will be able to do. It will be very hard to deal with when its time for applying, and its going to be impossible to justify blatant cheating in medical school.

I don't understand the concept of cheating in school. It will be reflected on boards where cheating is impossible. Pardon the rant, its not personal, its just out of frustration for those who put forward the full effort.

Anyways, what Kiru... said is true. You will need to establish trust and be forthcoming with everything you do hereon out and be prepared to be scrutinized the rest of your career. It won't be impossible to proceed through the next steps of your career, however, it will just be much more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.