Effective 2 month Study Plan for Retaking MCAT Out There?!?!? Please, any suggestions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrayArea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Please, I would appreciate anyone and everyone who has some input on the subject. I would also love to hear from people that have been in the same situation as me or who have had positive results from retaking the current MCAT.

So, a little back ground. I took the MCAT June 2nd and with great consideration, decided to void. CARS was my weak link. I am now hoping to retake it September 2nd, which gives me exactly 2 months to be prepared.

I have already read all of the EK books and the PR sociology book. I have done, a good amount of content review, but of course, there is room for more on topics I find that are not sticking to my memory.

Anyone out there have a good 2 month study plan? Even, better, anyone have a good 2 month study plan for retaking the MCAT. Obviously there must be differences in the way one studies for the MCAT if they have never taken it before versus if they have.

I really want to get the MCAT done and over with by September, so please, if anyone has any suggestions or plans that have worked for them, share them here. Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, hope to hear from some of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken a full length recently or the unscored? What score range would you gauge that you're at?

Have you done the q-packs and section bank? How do these feel?

Your plan will vary depending on if you're needing a content boost or fine-tuning for a higher score.

Have you taken a full length recently or the unscored? What score range would you gauge that you're at?

Have you done the q-packs and section bank? How do these feel?

Your plan will vary depending on if you're needing a content boost or fine-tuning for a higher score.

On the Kaplan exams I maxed at 504 and on Next Step at 509.
AAMC practice was a 508 I believe.

I did the q packs, felt fine with bio and socio but could feel more confident with gen chem and physics.

I think you're in a solid spot. Maybe refresh g.chem / physics with content and do the section banks. Mix in full lengths with review and repeat!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're in a solid spot. Maybe refresh g.chem / physics with content and do the section banks. Mix in full lengths with review and repeat!

Yeah, I know I am not in a terrible spot. I am just gauging if I should take it in September to get it over with, or in January (since I am not applying until next cycle).

I would've had to feel like I utterly missed every question to void my 300$ exam. Do questions on questions on questions on questions and review the material you got wrong. Figure out why you got it wrong, whether a content issue or a conceptual pathway issue. The essence of studying for the MCAT is figuring out why youre getting that type of question wrong. It's a beast.

I don't get why you voided if you have gotten 508 on the practice. Is your target score like a 520 ? Anyhow, I would take a break for a month and study for January. There really is no reason to take it in September if you're waiting until next cycle. Do more full lengths, and work on whatever your weakest section is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I don't get why you voided if you have gotten 508 on the practice. Is your target score like a 520 ? Anyhow, I would take a break for a month and study for January. There really is no reason to take it in September if you're waiting until next cycle. Do more full lengths, and work on whatever your weakest section is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I voided because when I sat down for the actual exam, and got to the CARS sections, I choked. I was not reading fast enough, guessing on too many questions, and unable to finish the CARS section in time. Based on that, I decided to void. It just killed my confidence on the other sections as well. Therefore, my main area that needs improvement is CARS. I also admit that an area where I made a mistake was not taking enough timed CARS tests prior to the exam. Being able to answer CARS questions in a timed manner is a skill on its own, one I plan on developing.

And yes, I am aiming to break at least 515 for my target schools.

Yeah, I have been considering just taking it in Jan since I am not applying until next cycle. It is just delaying the test that is unsatisfying. I really want to get over with it, but I obviously rather get close to my target score.