Effective memorization technique?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luminous_1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently taking an upper-div anatomy course, and I am overwlelmed by the amount of sutff to memorize. I've been reading the textbook, notes and laboratory materials, but I seem to be not so good at remembering the details. Do you know any effective memorization technique? making flash cards seems too time-consuming...

-Luminous_1

Members don't see this ad.

Luminous_1 said:
Hey guys,

I am currently taking an upper-div anatomy course, and I am overwlelmed by the amount of sutff to memorize. I've been reading the textbook, notes and laboratory materials, but I seem to be not so good at remembering the details. Do you know any effective memorization technique? making flash cards seems too time-consuming...

-Luminous_1

for anatomy, my study partner and I made up mnemonics, stories and songs (she even made an interpretive dance for the function of the medulla oblongata). most of them are too stupid to repeat on a message board, but they really helped the information stick! for example, if a word sounds like a place or person you know, design a little story around it to help you remember the location and function.

Luminous_1 said:
Hey guys,

-Luminous_1

If there's a certain fact or item that I'm having trouble remembering, I repeat it to myself 8 times, ask a question where the item is the answer, then I ask a question where the item is the question and needs a corresponding answer.

I do the question-requestion one more time about 30 minutes later. This works everytime for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Draw the muscles/bones/structures/whatever on your significant other ;)

Luminous_1 said:
Hey guys,

-Luminous_1

I found for A & P that looking at pictures really helped. You get a much better sense of perspective, for one thing. Also try to pay attention to prefixes; it'll save you a lot of time. Ex: blast (germinal cell) vs. clast (cell absorbing another cell), and then add in osteo (you'll know it has it has to do with bone) or neuro (brain region) or myo (heart), and so on. And don't study individual systems in isolation; the details will come a lot easier if you can see how everything interrelates, although, admittedly, that takes a while.

As for memorization in general, every science exam I take always ends up having:
(1) A large set of custom-made abbreviations for mechanisms, processes, and lists. A basic example would be from my recent pathogenic microbiology exam -- What are the virulence features of group A Strep? CLMHEDS(clamheads) --> Capsule, Lipoteichoic acid, M-protein, Hemolysins, Erythrogenic toxins, DNA/RNAses, and Spreading factors such as Hyluronidase and DPNase.

(2) If the class is graphical/picture oriented, I also have a "figures to memorize" pile. Each slide has its own set of letters/custom-made abbreviations(sometimes multiple abbreviations if the picture is very complex -- like in your anatomy class's case). A very basic example could be...uhh...for the bones in the hand. Carpals, Metacarpals, Phalanges --> CMP --> Camp. Haha...very basic, but if the diagram you were memorizing from showed a top-down view, you could also memorize what letters go where, as in the physical orientation:
C
M
P

Yeah, I won't go any further on this one.

(3) A general "concepts/things to remember" list on the side. This has all those extra things that you don't have to memorize, but are important to keep in mind and are small enough to not need an abbreviation.
Example:
-Always remember the Sodium Potassium pump allows two potassium back into the cell while expelling three sodiums. It utilizes one ATP during this process, and aids in restoring the concentration gradient.

It's one of those facts you just have to keep in mind, and aren't likely to forget so easily.

Haha that's all...just how I do it. Might not be effective but it's nice recopying my notes from lecture, day by day, into one of the above three categories. That way, I'll passively be recalling weird abbreviations and words that I made up well after I'm done. The weirder, the better. You'll keep thinking about it. I guess the biggest thing to get out of this is that memorization should be a structured approach. Memorize not the details, but the organization of the details(the abbreviations). If it's extremely complex, you might have to make double or triple layered organization, but that rarely happens. From there...the rest will flow. OK I SHUT UP NOW! :D

littlebusteR said:
Draw the muscles/bones/structures/whatever on your significant other ;)

With Redi-whip :thumbup:

LabMonster said:
With Redi-whip :thumbup:

Oooo :D

Wouldn't work too well with turkey though...

Thx for the advices, guys! I will definitely try some of the techniques you mentioned: use of mnemonics, stories, songs, repetition, graphic/picture illustration, prefixes!

As far as the significant other goes, well I actually have two... one Japanese and other American... In fact, their names are Fujitsu & Dell. ;)

In case you wonder, they are my laptops.. hehe

-Luminous_1

grab a medical dictionary or just go online with a lot of those terms and look up what they really mean. Crura, for example, means legs, and refers to structure's that look like they split apart (the image of a trunk and legs I guess?) Anyway, knowing what the more obscure latin and greek terms refer to really helped me a lot.

Rendar5 said:
Crura, for example, means legs, and refers to structure's that look like they split apart (the image of a trunk and legs I guess?)

medicine is one naughty naughty subject.
-mota

Luminous_1 said:
Hey guys,

-Luminous_1
ginko.jpg