Effects of academic dishonesty

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted for a user. Send any responses you wish added by PM to me (Tildy)

To give you a bit of background; I used an existing lab report for formatting and detail depth reference, I was so stressed because it was my very first semester and a housing situation that left me homeless for a while [not an excuse, doesn't justify it, simply an extra detail]. I left a paragraph of the reference one in it and you can imagine how it went from there. The dean agreed because it was a first time offense he'd put it in a drawer where it'd "never see the light of day" provided I'd learned my lesson, it will not show up on my transcript, but I believe I must inform ADCOMS of it nonetheless. I have honestly learned so much from that experience and have taken some bad grades in stride, knowing that I could (and did) ace the classes. I will never again put in any less than 100% no matter the pressure/consequences, my problem is getting ADCOMS to see and believe that.

I'm not asking you to help me convince them to let me in to weasel my way out of my mistake; quite the contrary, I want to own it. I just can't see myself doing anything else, and want to do everything in my power not to let an isolated incident define my future. I'm asking [especially of you who have gone through something similar and have been accepted somewhere in the US] for some guiding words to help ADCOMS of a DO school (not because I believe at all they value academic integrity any less than an MD school, I just want to go to a DO school.) to see past my transgression and give me a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

My view is that this is a serious "red flag", but not an absolute deal breaker if you 1) Have an otherwise strong application (including community service), no further incidents and 2) Are prepared to discuss it without "weaseling" your way out of it at an interview. It might be helpful to have one of your LOR rec writers specifically address your high ethical standards and their belief that you belong in med school. If you do not get in right out of college considering working a few years and trying again. Time post-college would be helpful on this.

Dear Colleague
My school doesn't pre-screen and so this person might very well get an interview. S/he would definitely be asked about this and how the applicant described owning the transgression would make or break him/her. I concur with you that it's not likely to be lethal. A LOR from the Dean explaining how the applicant has since been exemplary and a vote of confidence would go a long way as well.

Hope that helps
goro