Effects of Repeating first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbaddiction

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What effects would repeating your first year have on your potential residency chances and choices if you're thinking about EM?

I just need peace of mind, so this uncertainty doesn't keep distracting me.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a good reason why you repeated (family/personal illness)?

Obviously it's not a great look and is a big red flag, but what are you going to do about it now? Control what you can control and move on. I'm sure there's someone here that repeated a year and still got into EM.

Last edited:
What effects would repeating your first year have on your potential residency chances and choices if you're thinking about EM?

I just need peace of mind, so this uncertainty doesn't keep distracting me.
It is obviously a red flag, but if you show that it was an isolated incident, by doing well in everything else, especially your Steps and your clinical rotations, it won't necessarily keep you out of EM.

Obviously the more desirable programs will probably rank you lower because they have tons of applicants who have no red flags to choose from, but that doesn't mean nowhere will consider you, especially if you prove yourself capable. For now, focus on not having anything like that show up on your record again by doing your best.

As mentioned above, if there were mitigating factors other than simply failing your coursework, that looks better than a simple failure making you repeat. Either way though, do well from now on and you are not necessarily shut out from EM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a good reason why you repeated (family/personal illness)?

I was led to believe that my score on a makeup exam would be averaged into my other grades for a course but was then told differently afterwards. I missed the original exam because of food poisoning. The Dean of Student Affairs got mad when I tried to talk to him about it and said that he didn't want to admit that he was careless because it would make him look bad. He said I couldn't appeal either. So I would have passed but I have to accept the consequences for the sake of his reputation.

I was led to believe that my score on a makeup exam would be averaged into my other grades for a course but was then told differently afterwards. I missed the original exam because of food poisoning. The Dean of Student Affairs got mad when I tried to talk to him about it and said that he didn't want to admit that he was careless because it would make him look bad. He said I couldn't appeal either. So I would have passed but I have to accept the consequences for the sake of his reputation.

So you fail a single class and repeat a whole year???? Is this an off shore school?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If it wouldn't kill your anonymity for sure then I wish you could post about that in the premed forums, because these types of things are what should keep people away from schools. We had people in my class miss multiple tests and were absolutely fine. Made the tests up when they were better.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this an off shore school?
Nope. it's a state school. Wishing I didn't prioritize money over quality now. -_-

If it wouldn't kill your anonymity for sure then I wish you could post about that in the premed forums, because these types of things are what should keep people away from schools. We had people in my class miss multiple tests and were absolutely fine. Made the tests up when they were better.
I do plan on doing so but after I try to get this situation settled first. I'm still trying to explain my situation to anyone at the school who might not be afraid to speak up for the students.

Nope. it's a state school. Wishing I didn't prioritize money over quality now. -_-

I do plan on doing so but after I try to get this situation settled first. I'm still trying to explain my situation to anyone at the school who might not be afraid to speak up for the students.

There has to be more to this story? Borderline student? Attitude issues with faculty? You don't fail a year for a single test failure as well as failing a single class....even gross anatomy they have ways to make up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So basically you missed a test because you had food poisoning and a dean failed you and made you repeat first year to save his own reputation? Yeahhhh I wouldn't tell that to PDs.

If the story is true, (doesn't pass the sniff test) The office of the ombudsman should be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not bring this version of events up during residency interviews. I suspect very few PDs will believe it's true, regardless of whether or not it is.

This sounds like a simplified version of the story. I'm sorry if it's completely accurate.

Assuming you can't rectify the fail, just move forward.

Take responsibility for the fail.
You missed an exam and failed a course, which resulted in failing the year. State something like how you learned a lesson about needing to notify people in advance for an absence or something similar.

Just don't blame anyone else, even if you think it's their fault.

If I was interviewing someone and i heard a story about a dean trying to cover his ass, I'd put you on the do not rank list.

Do great moving forward. Many programs will not give you a shot, but hopefully someone will.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.