Einstein vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IBP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been holding an acceptance to einstein with a $30,000 a year scholarship for each of the four years and was recently accepted to NYU off their waitlist. I was wondering if anyone had info choosing one school over the other, or if NYU gives out competitive scholarships in general.

I prefer NYU's location, bellevue seems to be great, but i don't think that would be enought to justify $120,000 difference. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Contact NYU and see if they can match the scholarship or at least get close to it. If they don't, I'd go to Einstein. Save yourself 120k in loans.

I don't think NYU gives merit scholarships, but I could be wrong.

I interviewed at NYU and was rejected, but that school blew me away. I would take it over a scholarship at Einstein in a heartbeat. It's got by far the best location of any NYC school, Bellevue, a great new condensed curriculum, and their students seemed really friendly and tight-knit. That's just me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU does give out a few merit scholarships, but most likely they are accounted for already.

OP if you submitted a FAFSA and have financial need, NYU allows you to look at your financial aid package before paying the tuition deposit. It is still possible to qualify for need-based aid even being accepted off of the waitlist.

Good luck with the decision!

NYU is an amazing school, but an extra 120K isn't worth it. Also, since subsidized loans are gone, 120K is going to be significantly higher than that due to interest that starts as soon as you start school.

Other than Location and I agree, you can't beat Murry Hill area of Manhattan, I'd go with Einstein unless NYU can get closer in price. The reality is, in the big 4 manhattan schools, NYU is the consensus fourth place. Between NYU and Einstein is not a lot of schools ranking wise.

NYU is 28th in Research, 77th in Primary Care

Einstein is 39th in research, 52 in Primary Care.

Total NIH Funding:

NYU: 151 million for 27th place

Einstein 167 million for 23rd place

So you can make the case that when you factor both research and primary care, that Einstein is on the same level as NYU.

Again, location of NYU is great, their orthopedic residency is the best in the country. If there is even a sliver of preferential treatment for their own students and this is the field you want to go to then great. Again, it is Manhattan, and who wouldn't want to spend at least a part of their life living/working in the heart of the city. But, I don't know if it is worth 120 thousand plus interest. Plus, in medical school, especially with the condensed 18 month course, I don't know if Manhattan is the best place to actually study. Vs. the more secluded Einstein.

NYU is an amazing school, but an extra 120K isn't worth it. Also, since subsidized loans are gone, 120K is going to be significantly higher than that due to interest that starts as soon as you start school.

Please clarify what you mean by subsidized loans are gone?

Please clarify what you mean by subsidized loans are gone?

He means that stafford subsidized loans are no longer being distributed to medical students starting their first year in the fall of 2012 (and beyond). One big difference being the accumulation of interest begins immediately on the disbursement of the loan.

I'd still pick NYU here. It's a much more well-regarded school in medical circles.

Other than Location and I agree, you can't beat Murry Hill area of Manhattan, I'd go with Einstein unless NYU can get closer in price. The reality is, in the big 4 manhattan schools, NYU is the consensus fourth place. Between NYU and Einstein is not a lot of schools ranking wise.

NYU is 28th in Research, 77th in Primary Care

Einstein is 39th in research, 52 in Primary Care.

Total NIH Funding:

NYU: 151 million for 27th place

Einstein 167 million for 23rd place

So you can make the case that when you factor both research and primary care, that Einstein is on the same level as NYU.

Again, location of NYU is great, their orthopedic residency is the best in the country. If there is even a sliver of preferential treatment for their own students and this is the field you want to go to then great. Again, it is Manhattan, and who wouldn't want to spend at least a part of their life living/working in the heart of the city. But, I don't know if it is worth 120 thousand plus interest. Plus, in medical school, especially with the condensed 18 month course, I don't know if Manhattan is the best place to actually study. Vs. the more secluded Einstein.

It's actually 26th, but regardless, using US News rankings to pick one school over another isn't wise.

And as far as the comment about the condensed 18 month curriculum, it is designed to remove redundancies, not to accelerate the information. I have yet to hear one student complain about the 18 month curriculum, or being able to manage their time in a favorable location of NYC :rolleyes:

OP, I was accepted to both as well but NYU was an easy choice for me because I liked the teaching hospital (and associated repsonsibility of students in running it), the 18 month curriculum appealed to me, the location is prime, and the students are great. I also have heard that NYU has better recognition as far as residency programs go, but I'd imagine individual differences in candidates at this level would still be more important in getting into competitive residencies.

You can give financial aid a call, but like someone else above said, I believe all the scholarships are taken at this point. It's a hard decision to make given your situation, but you can't go wrong with either school!

Thanks for all of the feedback. so the 120k with interest will turn into 250k, which is definitely something to consider. living in manhattan is a draw, but not a big factor in my decision. So now i'm thinking mostly about the academics and the best potential for a top residency placement.
I'm not sure how much residency directors will be looking at which locations I did my clinical rotations, unless they have a direct association with people at that location. So Einstein has jacobi and montefiore, but langone is insanely good. the question is it worth a quarter million dollars and the added stress of having to deal with that debt as a resident.

Status
Not open for further replies.