EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlkmnsgrl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you read EIS 2014 thread, you know I'm the wife of an epidemiologist. While he runs models and does inverse probability weighting, I research job prospects =)

Anyone else at the conference this week? DH had a great first day. Met tons of ppl and got great feedback.

Highlight was:
EIS is like CDC fraternity. "Anyone who's anyone " type of thing. So they want you to need them--at interviews, don't go in saying "ok EIS, what are you gonna do for me?" because they want ppl that they can offer something to. Everyone who applies is the best of the best, so it's almost like they want to see that you're not too good for them.

We thought that was interesting. 1 day in and he already feels like it was totally worth the trip down to Atlanta. He received the EIS Alumni Association scholarship to pay for the trip, which certainly helps with our budget since SER is in Seattle at the end-of-June!

17 days until the 2015 application opens. What agency do you hope to work for?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to me that the right attitude is that you apply to EIS because it will pay you to do the sort of surveillance/epidemiologic work that interests you, at least for a relatively brief amount of time. If you don’t get it, no big deal as they don't accept everybody, and you look for the door that opens next.

From past posts it seems that some folks apply for EIS without a clear reason as to why this would make them more effective in their future career, and just feel it would look good on their resume, or it was something they just wanted to do a for a couple years.

I’m kinda surprised that the CDC would want applicants who would try to ingratiate themselves during the application process, or maybe I’m misreading what you said. While somewhat prestigious, I think it is a mischaracterization to say that the fellowship as an “anyone who is anyone” sort of thing.

Highlight was:
EIS is like CDC fraternity. "Anyone who's anyone " type of thing. So they want you to need them--at interviews, don't go in saying "ok EIS, what are you gonna do for me?" because they want ppl that they can offer something to.

So, it's pledge week for the CDC fraternity/sorority, and they just care about bestowing the big invitation to join and don't care about what the applicant wants out of the experience? Find this very hard to believe, for any type of job interview, gauging the applicants desires/expectations is part of the process.

Everyone who applies is the best of the best, so it's almost like they want to see that you're not too good for them.

So, there is some sort of pre-application screening process before they send even send you the application? Because I was kinda hoping to submit a mediocre application just because, ;-)

Seriously, I don't think that ingratiating yourself is the right way to go. If this is a "Men in Black" sort of, 'best of the best', kinda of thing, then everybody is qualified, and they want to give the fellowship to those who use the experience to most benefit humanity in the future.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if your husband hasn't gotten an EIS fellowship yet, how confident can you be that you've cracked the EIS application procedure and figured out what the CDC wants after just one event?

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think their point was more that they get far more spectacular candidates applying than they can actually choose. You have to be really good to get an interview, but then they want to see that you will benefit from EIS, not just consider it the equivalent of a post-doc. The other thing I think they emphasized was that you shouldn't apply to the EIS if all you're going to say in the application is that you're doing it so you can get a job at CDC. They want you to be committed to EIS, not CDC. This is straight from them, not my interpretation.

We certainly don't think we've cracked the procedure! I was trying to share with fellow applicants what he learned at the lunch for the travel scholarship recipients. They were heavily recruited (meaning they had individual time to ask questions about the application process and to get advice directly from the people who do the evaluations each year) and there were only 9 of them, so it seems like it's not information that's going out to a lot of people. Honestly, my intention was to post several more times with additional insights from the event.

For example, another big thing they emphasized was that it's important to be flexible. Like, to show in your essay that you aren't going to turn down the offer if it's not to the one specific position that you've got your eye on. There are so many different options. My husband was surprised at how many different centers he talked to and came away wanting to work for. He went in thinking only one center and came out thinking 4 or 5 other centers would be a great fit. And it was great to have the time to talk to supervisors and current EIS officers, get contact info, and in essence see the culture of the EIS.

I really was just trying to share knowledge, especially with those who were too far away to come see the conference. We are really lucky that we're driving distance. I apologize if I sounded at all arrogant. We certainly don't feel like it's a done deal!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, just remembered. Another great piece of advice they gave was to ask for more than the required 4 reference letters. They've had a lot of applicants who had everything else in, but one reference didn't do the letter in time and the applicant had to be excluded. Plus, they'll consider all the references they get, so if you've got 6 people who'll give you stellar recommendations, then go for it!

Hi,
Thank you so much for your insight on EIS. I think it would be cool to do some day. Would your husband be willing to talk to me about epidemiology? I am looking to do some informational interviews to discover what epidemiology is really like on a daily basis. Thanks so much!
KC

Hi,

I was hoping for any insight people could give me. My wife is a practicing mixed animal DVM who also has an MPH in infectious disease. Her long term goal is to work in CDC EIS or something similar. I am in the final stages of my Ph.D. and it is looking increasingly likely that I will get a Post-doc at MIT in Cambridge, MA.

After reviewing the EIS website, it doesn't appear like they are active in Boston. Is that because they aren't working their at all, or they have no one to work there but do have an option to go there? How easy is it to get the location you want?

Hi,

I was hoping for any insight people could give me. My wife is a practicing mixed animal DVM who also has an MPH in infectious disease. Her long term goal is to work in CDC EIS or something similar. I am in the final stages of my Ph.D. and it is looking increasingly likely that I will get a Post-doc at MIT in Cambridge, MA.

After reviewing the EIS website, it doesn't appear like they are active in Boston. Is that because they aren't working their at all, or they have no one to work there but do have an option to go there? How easy is it to get the location you want?

EIS is very competitive, your wife can apply, but that is no guarantee. Given the competitive nature of the application process, applicants who are able, and willing, to relocate as needed would have a leg up. I've heard that some EIS folks work exclusively at the CDC, but realize that EIS serves a critical function: to respond with urgency to emerging epidemiological threats, should a major public health disaster occur which your wife has the skills needed, say a hurricane, then the CDC would probably move her to where she was needed.

There's not much lost by applying, and even if she didn't get the fellowship she'd be able to network a bit. If location is a must, she could perhaps talk about a specific project.

Does anyone know how many applicants typically apply each year and how many they accept? I'm applying this year and was curious about the odds. I have a phd in psychology. Our internship situation is pretty competitive with sites receiving 150-300 applications and accepting only 5-10. I wanted to know if the odds are similar. Also, the EIS program is seeking people who have no or minimal research experience. I wanted to know how you did you craft your essay to explain why you're interested in the EIS system and what you like about public health, given that the program teaches you about EIS.

Hi everyone,

I applied for EIS 2014 and interviewed. We found out two or three days before Christmas that I wasn't accepted, which completely ruined my holiday! Thank you mlkmnsgrl for your insight and for sharing your experience about the EIS conference. I am applying again for this year and hope that my nerves don't get the best of me if I'm lucky enough to be selected for another round of interviews.

Good luck to all!

Does anyone know how many applicants typically apply each year and how many they accept? I'm applying this year and was curious about the odds. I have a phd in psychology. Our internship situation is pretty competitive with sites receiving 150-300 applications and accepting only 5-10. I wanted to know if the odds are similar. Also, the EIS program is seeking people who have no or minimal research experience. I wanted to know how you did you craft your essay to explain why you're interested in the EIS system and what you like about public health, given that the program teaches you about EIS.

On the EIS website, to the left under conference, there's a list of pdfs from past conferences. We found it really helpful to flip through them--there's usually an opening or closing statement from the EIS director with numbers for that year--completed applications, interviewed, accepted, and the break-down by gender, degree, nationality, etc. I don't have it here in front of me, but it sounds like the odds are pretty similar, only they're accepting a lot more people from a larger applicant pool.

Sorry didn't see this earlier.

Hi everyone,

I applied for EIS 2014 and interviewed. We found out two or three days before Christmas that I wasn't accepted, which completely ruined my holiday! Thank you mlkmnsgrl for your insight and for sharing your experience about the EIS conference. I am applying again for this year and hope that my nerves don't get the best of me if I'm lucky enough to be selected for another round of interviews.

Good luck to all!

Good luck to you! The ruined Christmas thing is completely my fear at this point...well, not to mention the ruined Fall if DH doesn't get an interview. He submitted his application mid-June and has 5 reference letters in, so there's nothing more we can do but wait. Ugh!

What can you tell us about the interview process? Were you just meeting one on one with different programs? Was there any group element to it? One of the things we've been curious about is whether they try to bring huge numbers in, like 50/day, and do all interviews in a single week (or the Tuesday, say, of each week for a month), or whether it's more spread out. Did they give you an option of a few days to come down, or just tell you when you should show up? Having to coordinate travel down to Atlanta last minute has me a little stressed--short notice plane tickets aren't my friend.

Maybe some of you will meet in the interview process. Good luck wrapping up applications, about a month left with the earlier end date this year. Summer has flown!

Hi,

I know Bolingbroke already answered you, but just to add a bit--what we heard is that if you want one of the state epi jobs (which I don't think do vet med, but they might), then you have an early shot at choosing one of the states that needs someone for the year. I don't know if Mass takes an EIS Officer, or if they'll need one this year. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else that would have an office in Boston. Most positions are in Atlanta, except for the state officers and a few folks scattered around with NIOSH, etc--and those positions are in West Virginia and Ohio mainly. The other state that'd be a possibility is Rhode Island. If you lived somewhere in between, like Attleboro or Brockton, you could each catch commuter rails in opposite directions--but it wouldn't be much fun. Good luck! MIT is awesome, a really beautiful campus! There's a possibility we'll end up at Harvard, which isn't quite so pretty, but I love Boston, so I wouldn't complain...as long as it paid enough, since it's crazy expensive. We've got 3 kids, though, so it takes a bigger award to meet our basic needs. I hope your wife finds something she loves and that works well for both of you!

Hi,
Thank you so much for your insight on EIS. I think it would be cool to do some day. Would your husband be willing to talk to me about epidemiology? I am looking to do some informational interviews to discover what epidemiology is really like on a daily basis. Thanks so much!
KC

Sorry I didn't respond sooner! I'm sure my husband would be happy to chat with you sometime. He's working on his PhD, with an emphasis in Environmental Epi. He worked for a while between MPH and PhD at a health department doing epi, and just with the masters he was more qualified than most coworkers, at least in terms of education. His background isn't in public health, though, but he ended up finding epi and loves it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you! The ruined Christmas thing is completely my fear at this point...well, not to mention the ruined Fall if DH doesn't get an interview. He submitted his application mid-June and has 5 reference letters in, so there's nothing more we can do but wait. Ugh!

What can you tell us about the interview process? Were you just meeting one on one with different programs? Was there any group element to it? One of the things we've been curious about is whether they try to bring huge numbers in, like 50/day, and do all interviews in a single week (or the Tuesday, say, of each week for a month), or whether it's more spread out. Did they give you an option of a few days to come down, or just tell you when you should show up? Having to coordinate travel down to Atlanta last minute has me a little stressed--short notice plane tickets aren't my friend.

Maybe some of you will meet in the interview process. Good luck wrapping up applications, about a month left with the earlier end date this year. Summer has flown!

If granted an interview, you'll be emailed probably early to mid-September (the dates and deadlines are different from last year, so it's hard to tell exactly when they'll be reaching out). In that email, you're instructed to accept or decline an interview. If you accept (who wouldn't, right?) you get to choose your top two or three interview slots. Interviews happen once per week for about a month, if I remember correctly.

For personal reasons, I had to choose the last interview slot--probably a bad move but I had no other choice. Since you live in NC, you might consider just taking an early slot and driving the day/night before? Having a nearby hotel would be handy if you have an odd interview schedule with long gaps. Anyway, when you arrive on campus, there is an hour-long check in and orientation period where the EIS director will share more information about the program, USPHS (commissioned corps), and allow time for Q&A. Then, you'll be given your schedule of interviews for the day. Everyone has 5 interviews total, starting at 9am. Three for each of the centers you chose on your applicant survey, one with the EIS field director, and I'm blanking on the other one, but I believe it's with a current EIS officer or alum from your top center choice (I hope this all makes sense). Interviews were about 20-30 minutes long, but are scattered throughout the day pretty randomly. So in all, you could be interviewing from 9am to 11:30 (at best) or 9am to 4:30pm (ouch!). I think I left around 3 or 4 and there were just a hand full of applicants left. On the day I interviewed, again the 5th and final interview option, there were about 100 applicants present.

For me, this was a stressful experience. Not the interviews, necessarily, as everyone was very warm and welcoming. The process was pretty intimidating and made it clear that you were in direct competition with the other people in the room and the scores of (faceless) others that had come before you.

Thanks, RFH! That's super helpful. Good luck, all!

Has anyone got emails from them yet for interview?

Nothing here. I hate waiting! Wish I knew how much time we'll have to book a flight and all if he gets an interview.

Me neither and I hate waiting as well. I assumed that they would sending out some emails since last year's application deadline was September 15th and people started getting notifications from early to mid Oct. I will post here if I hear anything!

I haven't heard anything yet either...getting kind of anxious!!! I'll be sure to post back when I hear something either way.

Still waiting... tick, tock, tick, tock. Very stressful. Good luck to everyone! Hope to meet you at the conference in April 2015. :)

Thanks everyone for all the super useful info! Also waiting to hear about interviews, so it was reassuring to hear everyone else is in the same boat!

I am wondering if the current events are limiting time and resources available to process applications...

I would also like to say thank you for the great info, everyone!

Hello All,
I haven't heard anything myself, a second time applicant. I know the EIS program is busy with the Ebola response, which has impacted the programs turn-around time for this years application process. I'm already at the CDC but getting into the program is very difficult.

However, if you receive an interview email, please let us all know!

Good luck

Hello All,

I called the office and asked when we could expect a notification email. The person said by the end of this month.

And via another source: the applications are still in the review process, as per the events and a new electronic system for reviewing the applications.

(Phew)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!

Maybe they should just early accept us all and have more hands on deck! ;)

I am joking, of course. But wouldn't it be nice?

It looks like the number of officers has been as high as 84, perhaps events like this will encourage filling more slots if funding allows?!

Thanks for the update on the status angiecou... I was told by a current EIS officer that if you don't hear anything to call because sometimes the email doesn't go through. I am so glad I found this thread!

Last edited:
Maybe they should just early accept us all and have more hands on deck! ;)

They definitely need more EIS officers this year!

There are a lot of EIS officers in West Africa right now, with a total of about 125 CDC folks in West Africa right now (50 EIS officers was the goal in August), and should the Ebola epidemic spread to other countries, and just with the expected increase in cases, they'll need more EIS officers there in the future. They'll need another 50+ EIS officers in West Africa, probably for the next 1.5 years at a minimum, so they need to readjust their target candidates and select the folks who are best prepared to work in West Africa, in a lot of cases. Besides just education and tracking Ebola, they'll probably favor those with veterinarian training for the animal reservoir work.

It looks like the number of officers has been as high as 84, perhaps events like this will encourage filling more slots if funding allows?!

They are probably going to hire significantly more EIS officers this year, not only are they dealing with Ebola, but you've got Enterovirus and other stuff happening in the US. The CDC is getting both more funding to tackle Ebola, and is to some extent shifting funds that would go to study more chronic public health issues that EIS tackles. When you look at the number of hot spots in West Africa, the region could easily use 120+ EIS officers. EIS officer spots are, unlike many other positions, scaleable as they can shift funds and use new funding to drastically increase the number of EIS officers.

Has anyone heard anything? Positive or negative? I'm obsessively checking the EIS website!

My husband just received his invitation to interview! Dates were starting Oct 17 and going through 2nd week of November sometime! Hurray! He was given the choice of 3 groups to interview with and then had to rank his top 3 dates. Looks like they're all Fridays and Mondays. He's got a bunch of other presentations and things already booked, so only 3 of the dates were available anyway, which made the choice easier! I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you--hope you'll all have received the same email today!!!

Here's some of the email they sent:

Thank you for applying to the Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) program beginning July 2015. EIS offers a unique opportunity to learn and practice applied epidemiology as an important member of the CDC team. EIS officers serve in many important roles — from leading field investigations, to conducting epidemiologic analyses of existing data bases, to designing, implementing, and evaluating surveillance systems. The EIS model is training through service and offers an intense, high-energy program.

As the next step in the application process, you are invited to interview at CDC in Atlanta, Georgia. The EIS program is not able to provide reimbursement for any expenses associated with your travel to interview in Atlanta.

In considering whether to interview, please review the following EIS requirements:

• Commitment to a full-time, 2-year program beginning in July
  • Flexibility and willingness to work in any of the five EIS assignments you will rank
  • Complete attendance at the following:
    • EIS conference (April 20–24, 2015). This conference occurs before the 2-year assignment begins. Expenses for conference travel will be paid for by the EIS program
    • Summer EIS course (4 weeks in July)
    • Regional and national conferences and other meetings, as required
  • Termination of previous work and school responsibilities
  • Ability to travel on short notice as needed by CDC (most travel lasts less than one month)
  • Flexibility in work days and hours to ensure rapid response to public health problems and to meet training requirements (you may be required to work some weekends or holidays)
The interview process takes a full day. The interviewers will inquire about the depth of your interest in public health, epidemiology, and the EIS program. In addition, they will assess personal qualities such as communication and interpersonal skills, professionalism, maturity, flexibility, motivation, and enthusiasm. We encourage you to find out as much as you can about CDC and the EIS program prior to your interviews. We have included an EIS assignment book from last year to assist you.

On the day of your interview, you will participate in five 30-minute interviews. These will consist of interviews with one to two EIS program staff epidemiologists and representatives from other CDC programs. The EIS Interview Request form, with a list of CDC program areas, is attached.

If you are interested in interviewing, complete and return the EIS Interview Request form to xxx. Your interview date will be confirmed by e-mail. You are encouraged to schedule your interview as soon as possible.

Please report to the EIS office by 7:30 a.m. on your interview day. The office is located at xxx (map and hotels in the area included). Be prepared to show a picture ID when entering the building (e.g., U.S. driver’s license, passport). If you have questions about the interview process call the EIS interview coordinator at xxx between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (EDT) Monday through Friday.

Last edited:
Wonderful news! Congrats! I hope we all receive the same news today :)

Best of luck in the interviews!

In the interest of future applicants looking for information (and while I'm siting here reading it anyway and waiting to hear about you guys), I'm going to copy/paste parts of the pdf they sent with the interview. It looks like a big (176pg) document on the final EIS assignments for 2014. Lots of great information. Here we go (sorry I'm not just uploading the whole thing, but not sure if that's permitted, so I just figured I'd pull some out. Similarly, I blocked out the specific addresses and phone numbers in my previous post):

EIS ASSIGNMENT MATCHING PROCESS
EIS is a program of training through service with the CDC. All assignments are eligible for
consideration by all unmatched incoming EIS Officers. Be advised, however, that selection for
assignments may be affected by the kinds of skills that are required to fulfill the service needs of a
particular program; therefore, a supervisor may consider an officer’s previous experience and
education as a factor when considering that officer for an assignment. For example, some
assignments may require extensive use of sophisticated statistical methods and computer
programs for data analysis; others may involve frequent use of clinical knowledge or skills.

The Epidemiology Workforce Branch (EWB)
The Center for Global Health (CGH)
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
The National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
National Center for Environmental Health(NCEH)/Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry(ATSDR) http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/eis/
The National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)
The National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP)
The National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD)
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control
National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)
CDC's Office of Public Health Preparedness and Response (OPHPR)

There is a fairly general description of each center/division that is then followed by the listings in that group. These are basically detailed job descriptions complete with proposed projects specific to that position. Information in these lists include:

Agency Name:
Division/Branch/Team/Section:
Physical Address:
Primary Supervisor:
Secondary Supervisor:
Secondary Supervisor:
Background:
Topics of current research projects include:
Proposed Initial Projects:
Proposed Surveillance Projects:
Range of Opportunities:
Position Strengths:
Special Skills Useful for this Position:
Available Data:
Recent Publications:
Domestic Travel: International Travel:
Available Support:
Current/Recent EIS Officer:
Officer Projects:
Officer Recent Publications:
Consultant:

Neat to see they give a ton of information on the positions. I'm guessing something like this is sent out ahead of the April conference at some point so that selected officers can get an idea of which divisions they want to specially contact during that event. There are more EIS positions than officers to fill them, so this document just has the ones that were actually hired last year. But just the variety is great. Some with 30% international travel, some with 0% or 10% domestic only. Of course, right now even the ones who were told minimal travel are probably in Africa dealing with Ebola. Wow!

And once again, let me say that it's a HUGE help to attend the conference the year you're planning to apply so that you can talk to folks and get tips and encouragement for the process. It was a really great experience for my husband and with those contacts, he's now been invited to give a presentation at one of the divisions next month--they want to bring him in to see the program ahead of time because they've had a hard time getting interested officers in their positions some years. My point in mentioning it just being that if they know who you are, they can watch for your application and also get to know you, which gives you that networking edge above other applicants. Be assertive! Happy applying to the class of 2016. More than that, happy interviewing fellow 2015 hopefuls and now...ugh!...more waiting until the interview, the December notice, and so on!

Wonderful news! Congrats! I hope we all receive the same news today :)

Best of luck in the interviews!

I'll bet by end of day they'll have notified everyone. I hope you're all finding good news today! Remember the advice of JJ_epi above: if you don't receive an email, it's worth calling to be sure it didn't get lost in cyberland!

Congratulations to you and your husband mlkmnsgrl...that's wonderful news! I'm sure he's going to do very well in the interview(s). I wish you both best of luck.

Still no word for me yet. I'll try calling tomorrow if I haven't heard anything. My concern is that I'm a behavioral epidemiologist. With the recent infectious outbreaks occupying so much of CDC's efforts I'm afraid someone with my background might get lost in the shuffle. MDs typically have a slight leg up on PhDs, but I'm thinking CDC might prefer MDs given everything that's going on. Nothing I can do about that, but I'll definitely write back either way when I find out.

RFH - Yes, I'll do the same. I am less hopeful in receiving "good" news. They have a new digital system now and I anticipate that they send a mass email out versus one at a time. I hope I'm wrong. Crossing fingers and toes for everyone!

Congratulations to you and your husband mlkmnsgrl...that's wonderful news! I'm sure he's going to do very well in the interview(s). I wish you both best of luck.

Still no word for me yet. I'll try calling tomorrow if I haven't heard anything. My concern is that I'm a behavioral epidemiologist. With the recent infectious outbreaks occupying so much of CDC's efforts I'm afraid someone with my background might get lost in the shuffle. MDs typically have a slight leg up on PhDs, but I'm thinking CDC might prefer MDs given everything that's going on. Nothing I can do about that, but I'll definitely write back either way when I find out.

Well, he's an epi with no md and no biological background. But we're kind of thinking the same thing...even with the interview, it'll be obvious he wouldn't be able to do anything infectious so he'll probably get backburnered. Worth a try, though. Good luck!!!

RFH - Yes, I'll do the same. I am less hopeful in receiving "good" news. They have a new digital system now and I anticipate that they send a mass email out versus one at a time. I hope I'm wrong. Crossing fingers and toes for everyone!

I didn't know about the new system. Maybe they're doing it in waves so the person setting up the interviews can schedule a few and then if a day is full they remove it for the next batch? It said to reply within 5 days but I would think most will do like us and respond immediately. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'll bet by end of day they'll have notified everyone. I hope you're all finding good news today! Remember the advice of JJ_epi above: if you don't receive an email, it's worth calling to be sure it didn't get lost in cyberland!

i called them. they're not all going out today (how could they, given they typically invite 200+ applicants). they said it's a rolling invites going out. so don't fret, folk.

Wonderful! Thank you :) I also called and received similar information. Since this is my second year applying and work here already, it may lead me to know too much (over-think) when I really should just relax and wait for the response.

Last edited:
I guess it is a few more days of hitting refresh on my inbox at least once an hour...

Last edited:
Great news all around! Sorry we were the ones to cause a freak out! :rolleyes: I wonder if each review committee gets xx spots for interviews or what...? Seems like they should have waited until everyone was done precisely so this wouldn't happen. Not to mention that we've been sitting around watching flights to Atlanta go up and up with the fear we'd only have a week's notice or something and have to spend a fortune. But 3 weeks to Oct 17's first interviews isn't too terribly short notice, I guess. Did anyone else have themselves convinced that we'd hear earlier since they moved up the deadline this year? We've been obsessing since Sept 1st!

Hey all
I received the interview invitation today and I hope everyone in this thread gets the email soon as well! mlkmnsgrl has kindly shared all information so there is not much for me to share. Good luck to us all!!!

Hey all
I received the interview invitation today and I hope everyone in this thread gets the email soon as well! mlkmnsgrl has kindly shared all information so there is not much for me to share. Good luck to us all!!!

Congratulations, Mandooni!!! Good luck and I hope you have a great interview experience!

All is quiet on the eastern front...until Monday...

Thanks to everyone for their updates! I haven't heard anything yet either. Will let you all know when I hear something.. and sending positive vibes to everyone on the thread!

The suspense is taking days (if not years) off my life. As with others, I'll post either way when I hear something. Thanks for the many updates everyone.

Hello everyone...still no word yet for me. Has anyone heard of reject emails going out yet? Has anyone called recently? I can't call because my line is within the building and my name will pop up! The suspense is horrible!

I have also not heard anything...I don't know the specifics of how CDC does it, but usually programs don't send out rejection emails until the end of the process. I wouldn't expect to get a rejection one soon, although I suppose it would be better than this waiting...