EIS 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yah, so it's his alma mater, so he's been able to speak candidly to several professors about the work-life balance. They had mixed reports, but in general, I would say that the feeling was that the first 5 years are a slog, but it's hard-funded ,and it's actually hard NOT to be tenured there, so it might be worth it. So we'll definitely apply.

But I guess your #2 comment is where my big question sits. Is it unethical to accept EIS and take that position when we know there's a chance we'd get a trumping offer and end up turning down the match? It seems wrong in a program with a wait list and so much interest to take that spot when it's too late for them to get a replacement. Aren't the wait lists killed in February? I know that they say there are more EIS positions available than new recruits, so that makes it even worse, right, because it means a potential recruit AND an agency miss out. Do I have that right? We don't want to do something that burns bridges with the CDC, although in some ways, if we get the university job, then we anticipate being there for 30+ years.

Anyway, just kinda trying to figure out what we're going to do and the time is really bad. Not to mention that it's adding to how hard this wait is getting. First interview day means we've waited for a long time. Ugh!
You'll know about EIS in 1-3 weeks. As fyrebyrd put it, it comes down to what your husband really wants. It sounds to me like he has a good shot at the professorship. If he sees himself in the position of a faculty member then why wait 2 years to start doing his dream job? Put another way, why does he want to do EIS and how will he benefit from EIS considering his long-term goals? Where does your family see itself? Hypothetically, if you had both options available to you right now, which one would you choose?

I've never heard of anyone accepting an EIS offer and then turning it down at the match in April, but if it is possible I don't think it happens often. Reading through the blogs someone did say they knew of an EIS classmate who found out they were accepted really late in the game (like April-late), so maybe wait-listed persons still have a chance(?).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree with the others you should try to determine if EIS is a step in the right direction for your husbands overall career or just something that seems interesting. It it is the later there are a lot of other options open right now for post docs that would boost his academic career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the others you should try to determine if EIS is a step in the right direction for your husbands overall career or just something that seems interesting. It it is the later there are a lot of other options open right now for post docs that would boost his academic career.

I recently had another offer and found that when I discussed with them EIS and how that fit into my career goals they were very impressed with my honesty. They went forward with the offer anyway and even indicated that I could come back after EIS. You may be surprised with the positive support if you let the other options know why you are waiting. The only bummer is I feel I gave the new job a much better description of my goals than the EIS interviewers :-(.

I really do hope we find out sooner rather than later. Although I am pretty much terrified of a no answer... Ugg... I asked an interviewer about waitlist and they said it is rare but people have dropped out as late as June... Although I am not sure I can handle being wait listed and having to endure this til then!
That would be horrible to have to wait til June. They have 78 positions available and they'll need to fill it. My feeling is that it will have to be someone who is flexible and willing to take a position in one of their less desirable locations since the matching process will be over by then.

I recently took on a new position about half a year ago. I told my employers about EIS during my job interview and they still hired me knowing full well that if I were lucky enough to get it I would leave. JJ_epi is right... employers will surprise. They may even consider you a stronger candidate after EIS but that all depends on whether EIS is right for you and how it fits into your goals.

I can't believe we made it to page 7 of this blog.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think unfortunately that's a decision that you have to make on your own. There is definitely an element of the unfair in taking a spot in something like the EIS for all the reasons you've listed, if there is a potential trump. Which I guess brings me back to my original thought which is, in an ideal world what does your husband want to end up doing? If this opportunity is the dream job, then I say go for it whole-heartedly and say no to the EIS straight up. But if either option is ok (EIS or academic)

I recently had another offer and found that when I discussed with them EIS and how that fit into my career goals they were very impressed with my honesty. They went forward with the offer anyway and even indicated that I could come back after EIS. You may be surprised with the positive support if you let the other options know why you are waiting. The only bummer is I feel I gave the new job a much better description of my goals than the EIS interviewers :-(.

I really do hope we find out sooner rather than later. Although I am pretty much terrified of a no answer... Ugg... I asked an interviewer about waitlist and they said it is rare but people have dropped out as late as June... Although I am not sure I can handle being wait listed and having to endure this til then!

This is fabulously well put! I think honestly we are all kind of in the same boat right now. Hard to make plans or move forward until we know what is going on with the EIS. My partner lives on the other side of the country and we can't make plans for him to move (leave his job? eep!) until we know where I'm going to be for the next bit of time.

The short version being... we should try not to worry/play the what if game until we hear back. And hopefully it will be good news AND this week!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, all. I think the challenge is that in terms of a career, EIS and then a federal career is his top choice, but his mom has MS and we'd like to be near home to help her as she becomes less mobile...it's going downhill fast. So, if he could do EIS near home, there wouldn't be a contest at this point. Ugh! You're right, though, the what if game is pointless. And he's a very committed person so if he says yes to EIS, I doubt he'll even consider backing out to be an option. I'm wishy-washy in the face of too many choices, but he's not.

Thanks for your insights. Now back to trying to remind myself that it may be a few more weeks still so I don't go crazy!

First time poster, but I've been following the forum. I don't want to throw everyone into a frenzy, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the call this evening around 5:30 with the acceptance to EIS.

Before you freak out, this is what he told me - each of the people on the selection committee have their lists at this point of who is accepted and they have until Friday to make the calls. He also said that I was only the 3rd person he'd talked to, so still very early in the game. So fear not, if you're accepted you will find out by phone before the end of the day Friday!

Best luck to all!

Reactions: 5 users
First time poster, but I've been following the forum. I don't want to throw everyone into a frenzy, but I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the call this evening around 5:30 with the acceptance to EIS.

Before you freak out, this is what he told me - each of the people on the selection committee have their lists at this point of who is accepted and they have until Friday to make the calls. He also said that I was only the 3rd person he'd talked to, so still very early in the game. So fear not, if you're accepted you will find out by phone before the end of the day Friday!

Best luck to all!

Congratulations Anthroguy1!!!! And happy phone stalking to everyone...I might go cry now... Everyone keep posting your news!!!

Congrats Anthroguy1! and same here mlkmnsgrl...I am panicking now!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Just as a follow-up with a few more details: The calls will come this week through Friday, but the official emails with the actual offers/details from HR will come Monday. On monday there will be an optional conference call for the US citizens accepted to EIS that will go over details at 1 pm. He said that we have 1 week to formally accept the offer from that Monday email. He mentioned that it is "non-binding" but didn't elaborate on what that meant.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi all! Similar to AnthroGuy1, I also got a call earlier this evening. Don't fret - you'll get a call soon!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats tranc!!!!! So happy for you!

Congratulation tranc and AnthroGuy1 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonderful news, and we all appreciate the complete details! Wow, so different than last year...the calls went out for weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband got the call about an hour ago! As he'd hoped, it was the interviewer from the committee that he'd met with in October. It was nice to have a face to attach to the voice giving such good news.

The one addition I have to what's already been said is that he said the 1pm conference call will be about Commissioned Corps and then at 2pm they'll talk about the civilian fellowship option. And then, I don't know if anyone else is in this boat, but my husband hasn't defended his dissertation yet. So in that situation, what happens is you have to defend before March 30 and then provide a transcript or letter from your dean or chair to confirm that you've defended. That way they know you're going to be qualified before the April conference. Also said that they'll take care of all the travel arrangements for the conference.

Looking forward to hearing more great news over the next couple days!

Reactions: 3 users
My husband got the call about an hour ago! As he'd hoped, it was the interviewer from the committee that he'd met with in October. It was nice to have a face to attach to the voice giving such good news.

The one addition I have to what's already been said is that he said the 1pm conference call will be about Commissioned Corps and then at 2pm they'll talk about the civilian fellowship option. And then, I don't know if anyone else is in this boat, but my husband hasn't defended his dissertation yet. So in that situation, what happens is you have to defend before March 30 and then provide a transcript or letter from your dean or chair to confirm that you've defended. That way they know you're going to be qualified before the April conference. Also said that they'll take care of all the travel arrangements for the conference.

Congratulations mlkmnsgrl!!!!!!!!!

Did any International Applicant get a call???

Mlkmnsgrl: CONGRATS!!!!! So happy for you both and for Anthroguy1! I'm on the same boat, about defending! Maybe you can whip and me in shape to get our dissertations finished! :)

Delurking here. Been following along the conversation for weeks. Thanks in advance for all the helpful information people have posted.

I got the call today and was accepted! Congratulations to everyone else with good news!

Mlkmnsgrl: CONGRATS!!!!! So happy for you both and for Anthroguy1! I'm on the same boat, about defending! Maybe you can whip and me in shape to get our dissertations finished! :)

Thanks. Yeah, so at least for our school, that's pretty much the deadline for May graduation anyway, but it basically means he needs a draft to his chair this month. So, of course, we're completely unable to focus on that fact and are just hanging ourselves more and more! :soexcited: When reality hits its gonna be a dark Christmas. Luckily we knew this would be deadline time, so our family knows we're not coming home this year.

Ok...Stop reading and get back to work! :punch: And I'll stop playing with smileys.

Delurking here. Been following along the conversation for weeks. Thanks in advance for all the helpful information people have posted.

I got the call today and was accepted! Congratulations to everyone else with good news!

Congratulations, staphisbad! Great name!

I'm so glad we're all hearing around the same time so it's not dragged out again like interviews!

Thanks. Yeah, so at least for our school, that's pretty much the deadline for May graduation anyway, but it basically means he needs a draft to his chair this month. So, of course, we're completely unable to focus on that fact and are just hanging ourselves more and more! :soexcited: When reality hits its gonna be a dark Christmas. Luckily we knew this would be deadline time, so our family knows we're not coming home this year.

Ok...Stop reading and get back to work! :punch: And I'll stop playing with smileys.

Congratulations, staphisbad! Great name!

I'm so glad we're all hearing around the same time so it's not dragged out again like interviews!

Phone call came in for me around 2 today. For people who haven't heard yet, don't give up! Still a long time til friday!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone who already got the phone call! and for us who are waiting, good luck to all of us here in this forum! I want to go cry under my blanket though..:-(...but hopefully by end of the week, we can all smile....

That's 5 of us. I'm feeling optimistic that there are more coming. But if I was still waiting I'd be under my blanket, too. Just keep your phone under there! Fyrebyrd is right, there's a lot of time until Friday!

Congratulations!!

Congrats to everyone who got the call! I just found earlier today that I got in. I initially missed the phone call but was excited when I listened to the voicemail.

For people who have not gotten a call yet, there is still time. For people who do not get in this year, you should definitely apply again since this is my second time applying (waitlisted last year) and I have heard from several people EIS values persistence.

Congratulations mlkmnsgrl!

Congrats to everyone who got the call! I just found earlier today that I got in. I initially missed the phone call but was excited when I listened to the voicemail.

For people who have not gotten a call yet, there is still time. For people who do not get in this year, you should definitely apply again since this is my second time applying (waitlisted last year) and I have heard from several people EIS values persistence.
Congrats, Vfozzie. I'm so glad to hear a vet get in. Two time's the charm!

Someone who my husband interviewed with and who he touched base with today said that it was an especially excellent candidate pool this year and that they had a hard time narrowing it down to 80. So, that's 2 more than we thought, right? And it's a testament to all of you for being part of such a strong applicant pool!

An unknown number called my phone and my heart just raced...too bad it was a doctors office, reminding me of an appointment! Ack!

Anyone hear anything today? It's been silent!!

I'm a second timer as well...still crossing my fingers!!
it seems quiet today... My fingers are still crossed but it looks like the calling has seriously slowed down... Angiecou were they helpful last year on how to improve your application? I am not sure I can apply again because this whole process has really been hard on my family and coworkers but if would be nice to get feedback

it seems quiet today... My fingers are still crossed but it looks like the calling has seriously slowed down... Angiecou were they helpful last year on how to improve your application? I am not sure I can apply again because this whole process has really been hard on my family and coworkers but if would be nice to get feedback
No. Lol, seriously. Not at all. I spoke to many people...and they covered the obvious things that we all have spoke about already. The process is draining, and going through it a second time is just as draining. Except I knew what to expect and was OOBER relieved to make it to interviews both times. One category they consider is being too established or if they feel that a candidate doesn't need the program to help them in their career. I tried to make it VERY clear although I have been at the CDC for 5 years, I want to make a career shift in the same field of public health (environmental micro to epidemiology). Yet to be seen if it mattered this year...

Last edited:
I had similar problems during the interview...

Last edited:
One category they consider is being too established or if they feel that a candidate doesn't need the program to help them in their career. I tried to make it VERY clear although I have been at the CDC for 5 years, I want to make a career shift in the same field of public health (environmental micro to epidemiology). Yet to be seen if it mattered this year...
I think you bring up an interesting point. This was my concern as well, and it was also the most difficult part to communicate during the interview process. Obviously, I think getting accepted depends on how well you communicate your goals and demonstrate your need for EIS. But I can see how difficult it can be to convince someone you "need" them if you've already done a lot without them (i.e. post-doc, international public health work, other fellowship or training programs, started an organization, etc), or are already doing EIS-like things, or if you've been in a current position for a while and seem established in that role. It would definitely be interesting to learn how many accepted officers, particularly PhD officers, are fresh graduates or new in their fields. The stiff competition didn't help either.

Last edited:
Positive thoughts for everyone waiting today...

Positive thoughts for everyone waiting today...
Fingers crossed! And probably all my toes! Has anyone been wait listed or not accepted yet or are they going to just update our status online like with the interviews around Jan 1?

Fingers crossed! And probably all my toes! Has anyone been wait listed or not accepted yet or are they going to just update our status online like with the interviews around Jan 1?
I'm assuming they will wait until the former acceptances are all in before we know if we were rejected/ waitlisted. Hence, the extra time until Jan 1st.

Has any international student/grad heard anything yet?

Yes. One of my friends (international applicant) have received "THE" call!!!!
When? Today? Because I'm sure many of us would love some assurance that someone, anyone, received a call today!

Last edited:
Lol Angiecou I like your optimism! Let's hope someone is leaving calling for their last task Friday to end the week on a good note! But in the meantime I personally am drowning my sorrows in cookies...

I'm trying...let the process take it's course! But later tonight, I will be emotionally consuming as well. Fortunately, we have jobs. I try to remind myself of this in order to stay positive regardless of this outcome. I'm debating on year three ;)

Lol Angiecou I like your optimism! Let's hope someone is leaving calling for their last task Friday to end the week on a good note! But in the meantime I personally am drowning my sorrows in cookies...

When? Today? Because I'm sure many of us would love some assurance that someone, anyone, received a call today!
Not today. He got the call on Wednesday. No calls today???

I like people who leave important task for Friday afternoon!!!!

Hi there,

I have been following this thread and it has been a great resource - thanks everyone.

I also have been interviewed and been waiting for the call. I wanted to let you know that I actually called EIS office to find more information. The person who answered was not sure if the calling started yet (either the person doesn't really know or the calling process takes longer than 3 days). I mentioned that I know that people have been getting calls, so the person then said, that this is done by several people on their own schedule. The person said they are working now on the waiting list and everyone should receive an email next week (I should call if I don't hear back by the end of next week).

I know this is not as helpful, but I thought of sharing. May be some calls will come in on the weekend? I saw that some people received interview invitations on a Saturday.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone.

Did anyone got a call today?? I am so nervous!
Yes. One of my friends (international applicant) have received "THE" call!!!!
OMG! I am freaking out !

Oh man, this thread made me feel good :) Somebody else referred me here and then I saw this thread! I'm a postdoc who has wanted to be an EIS officer since I found out about it in my junior year of undergrad - one of my public health professors was a current EIS officer (Commissioned Corps) and once she explained the program, I was like "THAT IS WHAT I WANT" lol. I didn't apply this year - I just started a postdoc in August, and my goal is to apply August 2015 for the 2016-2018 group. Congratulations to all of you guys who were accepted this year! I know it must have seemed like a long slog for you, but mid-August to early December seems really fast! And I got sooooooo much useful information just from perusing this thread (like the application numbers on the EIS conference reports - I had glanced at them, but never realized those were there!)

I did want to say, though, that the Commissioned Corps is not military. I asked my EIS CC professor about it, and she explained that there are seven uniformed services in the U.S. - 5 (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard) are armed/military and the other 2 (USPHS CC and NOAA CC) are not armed, just uniformed. Therefore, they don't have to put you in a reserve component so you don't deploy; as I understand it, EIS officers who are CC are on active duty and their active duty job is to be an EIS officer. The CC doesn't have a Ready Reserve component; they just got approved for one in March 2010 and I don't think it's up and running yet. But you don't have to worry about deploying to combat as if you were in the military (just to West Africa, I suppose)!

Also, my husband is a vet (Air Force - AND he worked on a plane, no less!) and Space A flights are really difficult to get to popular/useful places at good times. We never got them when we wanted them for a holiday; I think he might've gotten one once to come home from something. Being in uniform does have other flying perks, though - my husband (and I with him) used to get bumped to first class all the time when he was in the military. It got so he actually would deliberately travel in uniform! Some airports (including Atlanta, our hometown) also have separate security lines for uniformed service members, and the lines are waaaaaay faster than the regular lines. USPHS CC officers wear Navy uniforms so you're pretty indistinguishable from the other Naval officers.

I'm also not sure whether CC officers get military discounts at places like stores and Disney. Disney does have this really awesome program called Military Salute, where active duty military members can get discounts on park passes. But the program is limited to military members, and USPHS CC members are not military, so I don't think they are eligible (the website does specify the 5 armed branches). HOWEVER, since they have access to a base, you could always go to an MWR office and ask someone in there for sure! With the other stores I guess it

CC officers do get the other cool stuff like the Post-9/11 GI (not that any of us ever want to go back to school, lol, but it could be useful for kids or spouses) and the VA loans. Base gyms are awesome; base commissaries are super cheap and you can often find stuff there that's sold out in other places (like video games, for my husband lol). I think you also become eligible for USAA and Navy Federal; USAA is AMAZING, let me tell you. My insurance is super cheap and their customer service is fantastic, and they have low rate loans and credit cards.

To see pay, try this military pay calculator: http://militarypay.defense.gov/pay/calc/index.html. It includes the value of the tax advantage based upon your stationed location. Even without the tax advantage, an O-3 (PhD-level) with dependents would earn more than a GS-12 in Atlanta ($65,084 for the CC member vs. $60,877 for the civilian; both are 2014 numbers and will go up in January). With the tax advantage, the salary is almost on par with a GS-13.

I don't know what GS level EIS officers come in at - for research positions a PhD would normally get you GS-12, but for non-research positions it'd probably be GS-11.

Again, congrats to everyone who made it in!

I was just saying to my husband last night that this is exactly why I wanted to start the thread! I felt like there was so little information, especially given the long and prestigious history of the program. A couple comments:

Certainly the Commioned Corps is not a combat branch! I guess we've never actually talked about the difference, so I'm glad you did. For my part, when I say deployed, perhaps I mean more like a non-optional detail, or maybe a temporary change of duty station. And I'm talking CC after EIS. During EIS, we've been told that the CC won't send you anywhere, so you choose your 'EIS deployments' just like the civilian Title 42 Fellow officers. But if you stay in, and especially if you're a medical doctor, the CC can deploy you for 90+ days if they choose to. Still not combat, but also still not optional, which is a big consideration for those of us with spouses and kids who would be left behind. But, even post-EIS, the CC details are usually less than a month.

I've also heard Space A is tough. I'd love to get bumped to First...of course with kids we'd take up the whole section. Lol. I haven't seen anything official about store discounts, but we've been told about them by current and former CC EIS officers, so I think CC and their family get the military id card just like the armed branches, and can therefore use those discounts. The Post 911 GI Bill is only transferable after like 6 years, so you do have to re-up at least once to give it to a family member. But for MDs and other licensed officers, it can be used for license renewal fees.

FYI, the 2015 civilian pay is much higher than what you listed. Gs-12 locality adjusted is accurate for all EIS officers with PhDs. The locality adjustment is significant in determining pay. MDs and others get more. And we've been told that you can often go straight to 13 if you stay CDC after EIS. For CC there are bonuses for doctors, dentists, and vets. MDs start one rank higher than PhDs.

At the interviews they handed out information and then once the acceptance email arrived, it had more details. We feel like everyone we've talked to in the branches has said that even though there is way more paperwork, and the high cost of uniforms upfront, the CC option gives the best benefits and makes it easier to convert to a full-time position following EIS.

Good luck Juillet and all the 2016 applicants! Thanks for sharing your insider info.

Last edited: